Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,885 members, 7,814,000 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy (6499 Views)

Fuel Crisis: 5 Reasons Why Buhari Cannot Stop Fuel Importation / Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ / Dangote To Open $8bn Oil Refinery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by s3nn2x(m): 12:58am On Sep 20, 2013
Federal government came under a heavy knock from the Chairman of Silver Bird Group, Ben Bruce , when he  lashed out on the government for spending $8 billion on fuel importation annually.
Bruce was speaking in Abuja at the launching of a book entitled “Why Run Before Learning To Walk”, written by Professor Turner Isoun and Miriam Isoun .
He attributed the ongoing Academic Staff Union of University, ASUU strike in the country to lack of fund, which he said was a direct implication of the $8 billion spent by federal government annually on fuel importation and called for total removal of oil subsidy to enable government tackle other critical needs.
“The reason why Nigeria is broke is because we spend $8 billion a year, to buy patrol that generates smoke.  We need to address that issue, a lot of our problems are self inflicting. The laziness of some people in government in government must come to an end.  The expensive life style, popping of Champaign must stop.  We must go back to the era of creativity.
“When people are poor, they struggle to become rich, when people have nothing, they dream and think and use their imagination. Rich people are not going to be next NollyWood stars. They have money and resources. The stars of this country are going to come from Ajegunle, poor homes, single parent homes, homes where they have no money, homes where they have one meal a day. These are the kind of people we should have in government with imagination,” he noted.
Bruce further lambasted the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU for complaining of poor funding, after opposing total removal of fuel subsidy, saying, the union must be realistic in their demand rather than playing to the gallery.
“When ASUU went on strike, they asked President, “why will you spend $8 billion a year on fuel importation, when he could have spend it on their welfare.” When subsidy was removed, they opposed government action for removing subsidy and is now demanding for better pay, you can’t oppose deregulation and on the other hand, demand for higher pay” he  stated.
The Silver Bird boss, who expressed disappointment with the way a politicians spend public fund, called for adoption of renewable energy and a paradigm shift from being a lazy and consuming nation to a creative and manufacturing nation.
He also lambasted some state commissioners for investing public fund in the importation of tricycle, which he said is a 150 years old technology that should not be allowed into Nigeria, instead , he advocated for adoption of latest and more efficient technologies that would deliver better services to the people.
“The problem of this country can be solved, but too much money makes us lazy and incompetent. We must have renewable energy. We have the sun, so we should use solar power. We have what most people want and therefore, we should use electric cars, and we will not spend $8 billion to import fuel every year.
“Right now, a lot of ministries, federal and states, have too much money.  President and governors should not give them any money. Too much money makes them lazy and less money makes them use their imagination and think.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/its-crazy-to-spend-8bn-on-fuel-importation-ben-bruce/

1 Like

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by scribble: 1:41am On Sep 20, 2013
this guy that connived with Akpabio to milk the AKS treasury dry. he should please shut up.

he is also a thief. did he not steal from NTA?

after stealing money to form Silverbird now he is forming anti-corruption crusader, please shift.

bruce forming FIRST TO COMMENT on such an old topic like subsidy fraud

5 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Stunner1(f): 1:46am On Sep 20, 2013
all of dem r thieves
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Tintinix: 2:07am On Sep 20, 2013
Thief or no thief, he is now an ordinary common Nigerian like most of us and the points he has raised can only be seen by we the people not blinded by too much money, or deluded politics, and so my surprise when ordinary Nigerians rose to protest this, granted the annoucement was not well tot through but the intention was good!
At this time market forces would have regulated the cost of PMS, the attraction to importing would have been removed, imagine what only 4 billion would have done for this country?
Privately owned refineries would have been springing up every where and probably consolidating to large groups by now to meet the demand, which the FG had said they could sustain for over 12months.
Now we are all back to I don't care and gimme gimme mode..
Let's continue to Occupy Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by okooloyun1(m): 2:21am On Sep 20, 2013
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by fr3do(m): 3:39am On Sep 20, 2013
If the subsidy on petrol was totally removed,the extra funds would have still ended up in the hands of corrupt politicians and marketers.

4 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Femmyfamous4u(m): 7:56am On Sep 20, 2013
shocked cry cry I weep for my country Nigeria for such profligacy of the highest order $8bn?? When Dangote is to build the largest refinery in africa and biggest fertiliser plant with $9bn. When will GEJ stop the milking of Nigeria's economy. This is way way too wasteful. Believe me, all this is for his personal gains . We have Four refineries in the country and they cannot all be repaired to full capacity? Or build another even if he has to borrow? He keeps borrowing with nothing to show for it. This is so heart-wrenching. GEJ has really brought badluck to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Symphony007: 8:58am On Sep 20, 2013
The Niger delta sent the wrong man to aso rock....Ben bruce for president!!!!!!!
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by jaso1(m): 9:20am On Sep 20, 2013
scribble: this idiot that connived with Akpabio to milk the AKS treasury dry. he should please shut up.

You need to work on your pedigree so as to understand and logically analyse the deadly status of Nigeria.
The important point raised by this humble man ought to repair your brain but worsen it instead and this make your condition pitiable.
Wake up from dead and escaped from your captors whom have used all techniques to ensure that your brain parmanently remain dormant.

1 Like

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 20, 2013
NONE OF THAT $8B WILL REACH THE COMMON MAN IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE. SO LET IT BE THE WAY IT IS.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by 80million1: 9:38am On Sep 20, 2013
This guy sabi talk sha.
I remember when he was campaining for Bayelsa Governor,and he rolled out his plans.
But the sad thing is that here in Nigeria,his words won't change anything.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Lilchilz(m): 9:40am On Sep 20, 2013
An armed robber broke into a house and found
a couple sitting at a table room.
pointing the gun he said,," let me know the
names of my victims before i kill them..
WIFE: I am Martha
ROBBER: oh holy shit! my mother's name Martha.. i cant kill Martha...(point ing the gun)
and u??
HUSBAND: Am Joseph,,,but all my friends call
me Martha i swear.

9 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by ITbomb(m): 9:44am On Sep 20, 2013
Bruce further lambasted the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU for complaining of poor funding, after opposing total removal of fuel subsidy, saying, the union must be realistic in their demand rather than playing to the gallery.
“When ASUU went on strike, they asked President, “why will you spend $8 billion a year on fuel importation, when he could have spend it on their welfare.” When subsidy was removed, they opposed government action for removing subsidy and is now demanding for better pay, you can’t oppose deregulation and on the other hand, demand for higher pay” he stated.
I can now see why GEJ is strong head.
THey want ASUU and Labour as a whole to pay for not supporting Deregulation.
But there is truth in it, concerning the level of infrastructure development from the SURE-P fund, if subsidy was removed totally, government would have channel that money to education infrastructure.
Catch 22.

3 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by madjune(m): 9:45am On Sep 20, 2013
MR BEN, YOU DON'T NEED TO TELL US ALL THESE.
NIGERIANS KNOW PEOPLE WHO ARE THEIR WORST ENEMIES. THE RULING CLASS.
SIMPLY START AN ACTIVE REVOLUTION AND WE WILL JOIN YOU IN THE STRUGGLE.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by kennyonthrone(m): 9:49am On Sep 20, 2013
Lil chilz: An armed robber broke into a house and found
ROBBER: oh holy shit! my mother's name Martha.. i cant kill Martha...(point ing the gun)
and u??
me Martha i swear.
Lil chilz: An armed robber broke into a house and found
and u??
me Martha i swear.
Dryyyyyy......u will sure sure mk a jest of ua sef if u pursue a career in comedy
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by ddeola: 9:52am On Sep 20, 2013
Thank you jare, tell them make dem hear...
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by horlabiyi(m): 9:54am On Sep 20, 2013
I don't think the FG will ever listen to this. Mr Labaran Maku will tackle him soon.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by HoLEEsinner: 9:55am On Sep 20, 2013
All is well, I just don't know where we ll start from, top or bottom, lower level or upper level, ordinary corrupted nigerians or our corrupted leaders, we know Ben to be a renowned thief but all well said, allow private refineries, state standard and regulate the price. Save more and make more, tho we know its it won't be easy but we can get there rather than spending a fortune on importation. Stop using pumping machine to milk our nutricious oyel.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 20, 2013
Femmyfamous4u: shocked cry cry I weep for my country Nigeria for such profligacy of the highest order $8bn?? When Dangote is to build the largest refinery in africa and biggest fertiliser plant with $9bn. When will GEJ stop the milking of Nigeria's economy. This is way way too wasteful. Believe me, all this is for his personal gains . We have Four refineries in the country and they cannot all be repaired to full capacity? Or build another even if he has to borrow? He keeps borrowing with nothing to show for it. This is so heart-wrenching. GEJ has really brought badluck to Nigeria.
Thunder firre u there. Is this not wat gej is doing to stop? Is it why he wanted to remove subsidy? Is it nt why he encourages our bank to help complete dangote 9b dollars he wanted to use 4 his refinary? Think b4 u talk ok. Importing fuel to naija by our leaders started during the military regime idiott

7 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by swordsaintman: 10:00am On Sep 20, 2013
Keke may be 150 years old technology bt, atleast it is sure making some poor nigerians drink garri in a day..what have you so called rich and mighty produced in this country other than corruption? Even the acclaimed capitalist amongst you dnt even practice capitalism which deals more with creativity, invention and production..rather you people are practicing 'rentier capitalism' which deals more wit rent seeking..so mk i hear word ooo.. Mtchewwwwwwwww....

2 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by lagosph: 10:05am On Sep 20, 2013
When they proposed to remove Fuel Subsidy in december 2010, pple vehemently resisted it, called GEJ insensitive, and would you now blame the FG for allowing fuel Subsidy?
http://www.brookings.edu/research/opinions/2012/01/10-fuel-subsidies-nigeria-songwe

1 Like

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Hamazz1: 10:07am On Sep 20, 2013
scribble: this idiot that connived with Akpabio to milk the AKS treasury dry. he should please shut up.

concur but that doesn't mean he's not saying the truth.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by 2kurupt(m): 10:12am On Sep 20, 2013
Ain't it ironic, he's talking about $8 Billion spent on fuel import & total removal of subsidy but he doesn't address the need for building more refineries or fixing existing ones.

1 Like

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by addictiv(m): 10:15am On Sep 20, 2013
well said ,hope our political leaders and honourables ll take a cue instead of fighting and raising chairs for each other
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by adconline(m): 10:21am On Sep 20, 2013
Same that ran NTA aground inspite of COJA 99 equipment and facility upgrades. He left to start his own company with stolen public funds.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Dee60: 10:26am On Sep 20, 2013
Which subsidy?

Stop fooling yourself. If petrol sells for N400 per litre now, in another 2 years politicians will tell you they need to 'remove subsidy'. That is the point.

We are paying for inefficiencies here and there.

1 Like

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by Lordlexyy: 10:51am On Sep 20, 2013
nwekesimon68: Thunder firre u there. Is this not wat gej is doing to stop? Is it why he wanted to remove subsidy? Is it nt why he encourages our bank to help complete dangote 9b dollars he wanted to use 4 his refinary? Think b4 u talk ok. Importing fuel to naija by our leaders started during the military regime idiott
And must you insult him b4 making your point? And what has fg done with the amount regularly realised from the partial removal of subsidy? Has the money been judiciously utilgsed to justify the call for complete removal of the susidy? What happen to Sure P and how has it directly affected the infrastructure for which it should be purpose for instead of this reinbursement to faceless ppl which has not brought about any meaninful change? Since oil is our major earner, what stops fg from priotising it and making sure it channelled resources even if it means borrowing to revamp the refineries to full capacity? You guys are just too full of baseless ranting and rumbling for tribal sake.

2 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by GodhelpNaija: 10:59am On Sep 20, 2013
I still doubt if the present government is sincere, GEJ promised 4 refineries during campaign,all we are seen is a step from private individual which will still boil down to exploiting masses,My opinion on fuel subsidies is FG should build refineries, this will not only remove subsidies, it will end future scarcity and give millions on Nigeria youth employment, unlike all these SURE-P,OYES and other names they called it. As if they can employ there own children under these yeye program.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by emmddy: 11:02am On Sep 20, 2013
If Ben Bruce or Ben ibu, I don't what he call himself think fuel subsidy is the problem that warranty FG not to resolve ASUU strike, he must seriously sleeping on top of okada
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by chessguru1(m): 11:04am On Sep 20, 2013
adconline: Same that ran NTA aground inspite of COJA 99 equipment and facility upgrades. He left to start his own company with stolen public funds.
Looool see as this one is running his mouth. Ran which NTA aground.
because your where his chief financial auditor shey bi.
Ask anybody if NTA under bruce wasn't a station everybody wanted to watch.
If you really want to know what happened at nta, why not call atiku and find out the real truth. Do you honestly thing a man as objective as bruce could survive under the kind of autocracy the FG has over NTA.
Lastly, its rather clear that poverty has turned this country into an extremely vindictive society where some people refuse to understand clear and simple logic based solely on the premise that that comment comes from a successful person.
We commit the disgusting fallacy of leaving the message and attacking the messenger simply becos he belongs to an elite class (irrespective of how humble the man is).
P.S not every successful man in nigeria is a criminal.

2 Likes

Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by abagoro(m): 11:11am On Sep 20, 2013
Bruce has hurriedly forgotten that he was a victim of this regime which barred him from contesting as Governor of Bayelsa despite being the best candidate. This reminds me of Soludo in Anambra. The sooner you join APC the better for you.
Re: Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy by POTUT(m): 11:11am On Sep 20, 2013
Femmyfamous4u: shocked cry cry I weep for my country Nigeria for such profligacy of the highest order $8bn?? When Dangote is to build the largest refinery in africa and biggest fertiliser plant with $9bn. When will GEJ stop the milking of Nigeria's economy. This is way way too wasteful. Believe me, all this is for his personal gains . We have Four refineries in the country and they cannot all be repaired to full capacity? Or build another even if he has to borrow? He keeps borrowing with nothing to show for it. This is so heart-wrenching. GEJ has really brought badluck to Nigeria.

Not only GEJ, but every single one of them before him. You now live in an internet age where you get information as it happens. In the AFRC days of IBB, you would hear this information one month after...if you haven't missed any news bulletin and buy papers everyday.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015 Élection : Buhari Will Only Win On Nairaland ;D / Abia Guber Tribunal Update / Eu Parliament Moves Motion Against Violation Of Citizen Nnamdi Kanu's Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.