Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script (7733 Views)

'Action Film'- A Short Film Script By Sholay2011 / Wildfire - A Short Film Script / Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 4:08pm On Sep 21, 2013
sholay2011:
Hmm...I know you are extremely happy that uj sizzle liked it. She was the target audience. wink grin
Craze man! grin
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by prof800(m): 4:09pm On Sep 21, 2013
gozmos: Where is the PDF
check the first post...by the OP.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 4:12pm On Sep 21, 2013
shakespere: this is is pacy and deviod of unnessesary diversions. quite nice for a specimen script. written lots of scripts myself. not much camera directionn that cld vex the director. dialogue is good and no over explained scenes. however work more instructions that will help the the production guys. goodluck.
Hi Shakespere, thanks a lot. Could you please further explain what you mean by 'pacy' and 'more insructons that will help the production'?

Yeah I normally try to write without any camera directions unless absolutely cruicial to the 'story'.
Once again thanks for reading it and for your views.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 4:13pm On Sep 21, 2013
lassbati: that is wonderful.....all the way
Thank you very much lassbati, greatly appreciated.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by gozmos(m): 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
Ok hav seen dat thanks
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by prof800(m): 4:35pm On Sep 21, 2013
VillageBoi:
Hi Shakespere, thanks a lot. Could you please further explain what you mean by 'pacy' and 'more insructons that will help the production'?
Well I think he meant the story can be read at once without time to catch your breath...
"a pacy storyline is one that is moving fast and with lots of action"
--'action' here means the dramatic one.
*with a grin*
...But I dunno what he meant by 'more instructions'.

1 Like

Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by Rehil(f): 4:48pm On Sep 21, 2013
The Vayan,nice stuff.proud of u brother,with or without GF,u r representing us.May God preserve n keep u.The sky shall be just a steping stone for greater things to come in your life.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 4:59pm On Sep 21, 2013
Rehil: The Vayan,nice stuff.proud of u brother,with or without GF,u r representing us.May God preserve n keep u.The sky shall be just a steping stone for greater things to come in your life.
Thank you very much Rehil! Amen to all that wink
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 21, 2013
I will read on Tuesday wink ....hands tied for now.
I will read with all concentration! grin grin
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 7:00pm On Sep 21, 2013
^ ^ ^
Ok my broda, no problem grin
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by prof800(m): 9:22pm On Sep 21, 2013
VillageBoi: ^ ^ ^
Ok my broda, no problem grin
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by ugojamali(m): 11:02pm On Sep 21, 2013
Good narrative. Descriptions are well done. I visualized d scenes from the words.

But I didn't feel the story. And I didn't agree with its concept or intended concept. One question I have is...Why does everyone, even people who had never seen James since birth, were able to recognize James except his own mother?

Even d old woman recognized James though she said she had not seen d mother since a few months before James' birth?
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 11:44pm On Sep 21, 2013
ugojamali: Good narrative. Descriptions are well done. I visualized d scenes from the words.

But I didn't feel the story. And I didn't agree with its concept or intended concept. One question I have is...Why does everyone, even people who had never seen James since birth, were able to recognize James except his own mother?

Even d old woman recognized James though she said she had not seen d mother since a few months before James' birth?

Hi Ugojamali, thanks for reading it. Let me try to explain the issue you had with it.

It is NOT stated anywhere that the 'old woman' or his 'aunt' recognised him. They didn't! What happened is, in order not to spoonfeed the audience, the audience will take it on faith that when James was in the park on the phone contacting various 'Old Peoples Homes' he got through to where 'Emelia' was staying and 'explained who he was... so she was expecting him. Emilia in turn called James' aunt (James also called) so the aunt was, likewise, 'expecting' him. (you remember in the script even Emilia got which one was his mother 'wrong'! She was just going by the fact that she remembered the two girls and that one became pregnant)

I hope that answers your question as I believe we are in an age when the audience can & will deduce things that are 'not shown' and be able to fill in certain gaps of 'expectation' themselves. That should enable us move away from very old school type of films that over explain things making them end up being more of a drag.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by Aywire(m): 2:24am On Sep 22, 2013
OP, lovely script. Can I feature it on my blog? Will surely return the credits. By the way freelance writers are needed for the blog. Contact: info@jstsaying.com
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by prof800(m): 5:24am On Sep 22, 2013
VillageBoi:
remember in the script even Emilia got which one was his mother 'wrong'! She was just going by the fact that she remembered the two girls and that one became pregnant)

That is where the answer lies.
@ugojamali...it was good of you to have spotted those observations.
...but in a shortfilm of this nature a lot of irrevelant conclusion (ignoratio elenchi) can come in if some details are left out.
So when I saw the part where the old woman couldn't even differentiate his mother from his aunt...then I knew she didn't even recognize him-none of them did. It 'could' have been assumptions resulting from extended phone calls. They'll pretend to have known you on first meeting to avoid embarrassing you -the whites do this alot(unlike in our country).

1 Like

Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 5:45am On Sep 22, 2013
^ ^ ^
Thanks Prof, nicely said!
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 5:48am On Sep 22, 2013
Aywire: OP, lovely script. Can I feature it on my blog? Will surely return the credits. By the way freelance writers are needed for the blog. Contact: info@jstsaying.com
Hi Aywire I'm glad you liked it, sure you can feature it on your blog. Let us also know your blog info. Thanks.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by richardoz(m): 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
This is good. Kudos
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 8:12pm On Sep 22, 2013
richardoz: This is good. Kudos
Thank you Richardoz.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by Aywire(m): 7:10am On Sep 23, 2013
VillageBoi:
Hi Aywire I'm glad you liked it, sure you can feature it on your blog. Let us also know your blog info. Thanks.

My blog info can be found here http://jstsaying.com/the-team/about. Thank u.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 11:43am On Sep 23, 2013
Aywire:
My blog info can be found here http://jstsaying.com/the-team/about. Thank u.

Thanks, will have a look.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by original2k: 11:44am On Sep 23, 2013
VillageBoi:
Hi Original, thank you but this is not a script I ever wanted to shoot... this was me 'learning' how to write... I'll hit you up and talk about other far more commercial stuff.

Yes I understand. I just feel people should be given a chance to prove themselves_ as I always say everybody has a beginning. know this, we are all in a learning boat, no one knows it all. No problem, any time.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by Nobody: 1:40am On Sep 24, 2013
I'm Back! grin I just finished reading it.
First and foremost....which one was rewritten into another? 'Mothering heights' into 'sweet sixteen' or the other way round? Yea...I noticed! tongue.

This is a very brillant script, Villageboi! A bit disappointing though...Because 'it's from Villageboi'! But well, you said it was your first script...so you are forgiven smiley.
Now on to my observation:
I think this script is very boooring for most part....(except the last part; and I was like 'wtf shocked' - Then I remembered...Sweet Sixteen had similar ending angry)
Even that last part I liked; the content of the letter Amanda left is very Cheesy! I prefer the one in the last part of 'Sweet sixteen'. moreover, most parts of the dialogue in this script are cheesy. It looks nice to read....but I know it will turn out cheesy when acted out (don't ask me how lipsrsealed).

Before I forget, there are some really nice quotes in this script.
e.g
There are always answers... but do we 'really' want to ask the questions?
and some few others. But Me thinks 'Good question!' is a better and more gripping answer to that.

I also have to commend your writing method! what more can I say? On point! very Artistic and detailed description! That is the only thing in this script that stands out! The rest....Just blah! angry. And Yes! Because it is from Villageboi angry angry angry.

That's it for now... smiley
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by Nobody: 1:47am On Sep 24, 2013
VillageBoi:
Oh in that case... it's definitely not a new 'idea'... there must be hundreds of films/scripts out there with a person looking for his or her birth mother.

I'll let you in on a secret... both this script and my short film 'Sweet Sixteen' were both inspired by a friend I used to work with... he never knew he was adopted and when he found out he ended up finding his 'birth-mother' over the Internet. It's pretty easy to twist it into a dozen 'stories'.

Oh for the fun of it. People can watch it again grin (It has it's own thread - https://www.nairaland.com/866173/new-short-film )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh8yGYeN6Ls
I said it! So Sweet Sixteen and Mothering heights are from same source! You just gave them different Packaging! Don't try that with me again! angry Speedyboi will always notice!!! tongue cheesy cheesy
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by original2k: 2:58am On Sep 24, 2013
VillageBoi:
I think it was the 2nd I wrote when I was still at Uni. It was for one of our writing modules... so it's a 2006 script cos I finished in 2007.

I couldn't get your message, maybe you can call me on 08182891928, 08037041986 so I can give you my email personally. Take care
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 7:15am On Sep 24, 2013
speedyboi: I'm Back! grin I just finished reading it.
First and foremost....which one was rewritten into another? 'Mothering heights' into 'sweet sixteen' or the other way round? Yea...I noticed! tongue.

This is a very brillant script, Villageboi! A bit disappointing though...Because 'it's from Villageboi'! But well, you said it was your first script...so you are forgiven smiley.
Now on to my observation:
I think this script is very boooring for most part....(except the last part; and I was like 'wtf shocked' - Then I remembered...Sweet Sixteen had similar ending angry)
Even that last part I liked; the content of the letter Amanda left is very Cheesy! I prefer the one in the last part of 'Sweet sixteen'. moreover, most parts of the dialogue in this script are cheesy. It looks nice to read....but I know it will turn out cheesy when acted out (don't ask me how lipsrsealed).

Before I forget, there are some really nice quotes in this script.
e.g
and some few others. But Me thinks 'Good question!' is a better and more gripping answer to that.

I also have to commend your writing method! what more can I say? On point! very Artistic and detailed description! That is the only thing in this script that stands out! The rest....Just blah! angry. And Yes! Because it is from Villageboi angry angry angry.

That's it for now... smiley

Hey Speedy, thanks for reading it.

Ah, neither was written into the other... they just both have the same source inspiration. Lol, I personally wouldn't call it brilliant but an interesting learning curve. Yes some of the dialogue is pretty cheesy lol but I didn't want to edit a single thing before posting it... I prefered to leave it exactly as it was all those moons ago.
I can't remember which thread but I did mention a long time ago that I'm not even a 'writer' and I only do it if I have absolutely no choice, hence me always looking for writers here & elsewhere wink But do I know a bit about writing? Yup. Same with 'producing' which I can't stand either. For what I want to do I pretty much have to learn a little bit about everything.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 7:16am On Sep 24, 2013
original2k:
I couldn't get your message, maybe you can call me on 08182891928, 08037041986 so I can give you my email personally. Take care

Hiya, I'll call you later in the day. I wanted to get some info about lights & location.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by prof800(m): 7:31am On Sep 24, 2013
VillageBoi:

I can't remember which thread but I did mention a long time ago that I'm not even a 'writer' and I only do it if I have absolutely no choice, hence me always looking for writers here & elsewhere wink

But you are actually very good in writting.
This piece can actually become a classic here on NL.
It is not about idea or 'feel' or errors...it is all about style. And your style is impressive...I don't know why people don't look deeper.
Tarantino was not even that a good writter, but he brought a style in the '90s that nobody could beat.
You've got a writting style that can win awards--even my broda speedy knows this...hahaha!
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 8:26am On Sep 24, 2013
prof800:
But you are actually very good in writting.
It is not about idea or 'feel' or errors...it is all about style. And your style is impressive.
Thanks a lot Prof.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by original2k: 6:16am On Sep 25, 2013
Oh, sorry. Thot I received all the calls I missed because lot people called me back. So sorry. Well you can call any of the two nos.
VillageBoi:

Hiya, I'll call you later in the day. I wanted to get some info about lights & location.
Re: Mothering Heights - A Short Film Script by chromatic: 11:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
VillageBoi!... well written, to think you wrote this as a rookie.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Movie: 30 Days In Atlanta (Nollywood Movie) / One Of The Best Igbo Movies Rattle Snake (ahanna And Odinnaka ) / Watch Naija Movies At Onlinenigeria Without The Annoying Popups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.