Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,220 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? (12833 Views)

Best Nigerian Actor/actress Ever! - Chiwetel Ejiofor / Chiwetel Ejiofor Nominated For A Golden Globe! / Chiwetel Ejiofor In Inside Man With Denzel Washington (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by lullyboy: 3:11pm On Sep 21, 2013
I recommend W4,bt we would have to stretch him
Also Derele....bt would he part with his hair
AY d comedian...he lukd Fela-ish in d fuel subsidy comedy
.....Lastly myself,dat depends on if na fake igbo we go use.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by prof800(m): 3:15pm On Sep 21, 2013
OMO IBO:
i think forest whitaker will do a good job.
my only worry is that he may have to shed heck load of weight.
this shouldnt be a problem though.
50 cent dropped the pounds to star in "Things Fall Apart," in which he plays a cancer-ridden football player.
christain bale did same in to star in "The Machinist"
tom hanks in cast away.

i remember forest whitaker had to move to uganda for months to learn the language and way of life.
...which won him the oscars right.?
...and De Niro also gained alotof pounds to play "Al Capone".
-----
But that's not the question.
The question is why do we need an 'hollywoodian' to play something that an 'unknown' person on the street can kill.?
"go to Felabration or to The Shrine and see many felamanias"
...Look what happened to HOAYS at The TIFF.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by DisGuy: 3:25pm On Sep 21, 2013
prof800:
-----
The question is why do we need an 'hollywoodian' to play something that an 'unknown' person on the street can kill.?

perhaps because he's a professional, he's of african/nigerian descent, he's played several roles including well and plus he's marketable

if there are several 'felas' in the shrine and professional pidgin speakers....why have we waited so long for outsiders to make a film about Fela?
Why arent the Big Nigerian producers taking a shot? Why have we waited so long for outsiders to back the film then now dictate who we want to play the role?
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by UjSizzle(f): 3:28pm On Sep 21, 2013
Mr Ejiofor na
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Oildichotomy(m): 3:28pm On Sep 21, 2013
David Oyelowo {Red Tails, Jack Reacher}: Maybe height disadvantage though, but he sure have the face and physique.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
prof800:
-----
why do we need an 'hollywoodian'?
Let's see. . .
This isn't just another run-off-the-mill movie.

Fela isn't known by only nigerians. Fela is the www

Sponsors and investors of this movie would like to know that they can atleast recoup their dosh. So the main player has to be known. . .somewhat!

You want people to see this movie at the cinema?? The lead actor has to have some ooomph.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by olumidaie(m): 3:34pm On Sep 21, 2013
that chichi guy in a big NO because he is an americana; he wouldn't be able to put the naija swag especially the pidgin.

The dede dude is also a big NO because he isn't an actor, and he is too old. Besides, despite he being with fela for ages, it does nit necessarily mean that he would be able to imitate fela.

As for the job; I think their so many potential FELAs in WARRI who can throw that pidgin; or JAMAICA who have the craze and 'razness', and of course marijuana.

smileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmiley
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by DisGuy: 3:39pm On Sep 21, 2013
hes not an american...

whats the nigerian swag? whats the nigerian accent that people cant do sef?

We are not exactly from mars!!!

bloody hell!! grin
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by BabaOlowo: 4:10pm On Sep 21, 2013
Dede all the way. The Guy is Fela's Twin Brother. People seems to forget that Dede won the Actor of the year some years back. So he can sing and act.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 21, 2013
The Dede mabiaku person if that is his pic,is as ugly as fela,let him play fela
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Orikinla(m): 4:25pm On Sep 21, 2013
Please, show pictures of the other actors you are recommending for the role.
To play Fela will be a tough task for any actor.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by DisGuy: 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
Orinkinla, I believe you're the nigeria film experts on Nairaland

please help us list the films 'Award winning' Actor Dede Mabiaku has featured in and perhaps the Film and award he won some years ago
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by meccuno: 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2013
moshoodn: Use Akinnuoye Akingbaje then!!!!
are you kidding me.....??
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by prof800(m): 4:37pm On Sep 21, 2013
babyosisi: The Dede mabiaku person if that is his pic,is as ugly as fela,let him play fela
Fela is ugly..?
I doubt you've seen him.
If you think he is ugly, then you don't know him!
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by hitman2911: 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2013
yuzedo: Mr. Ibu should play Fela! angry angry

Ok on the real, we all know Dede would've been the ideal candidate but Producers need to make their profits. (And Dede isn't even a professional actor sef.. E neva even act for kindergarten play sef)

With a lot of application and dedication, Chinwetel as the versatile actor he is can interprete the role just as well and is marketable to the international community which is the target market.. They are the ones going to swell the box office takings, not an unknown Dede.

P.s. No homo, but Chinwetel handsome AF! Lawd! cry

My banana iceland pal! You are very wrong on Dede. Dede is an actor, a graduate of theatre art, Uniben before joining Fela band. Has acted in some local box office movies. .

However I agree with u on other facts. There is no doubt that Dede is the alter ego and god son of Fela. (Dede dei de on the sax.). He is into Fela than Femi and Seun who prefer to stand alone and not be seen as living on Fela's glory.

Dede is more of a musician than an actor and the film producers must have scouted around for the best material I believe the ability to speak pidgin is a must for this role however I am not sure Ejiofor could deliver his lines smoothly as a Warri bred Dede or any other Nollywood actor. As a good actor with Nigerian heritage, I am sure he will learn very fast. With little make up he will fit into Abami Eda role and facial look.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by hitman2911: 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2013
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Orikinla(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
BabaOlowo: Dede all the way. The Guy is Fela's Twin Brother. People seems to forget that Dede won the Actor of the year some years back. So he can sing and act.
Thank you.
Many people don't know that Dede is a seasoned actor.
Dede Mabiaku played a major role in Render To Caesar, 2013, "Captain Yusuf" in Jeta Amata's Black November, 2012, and "King Oche" in Inale.

Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by nerodenero: 4:55pm On Sep 21, 2013
If it is not Fela, it can't be like Fela.
Anyway sha, Dede might just be better choice. The foreign bobo no be am at all.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by otokx(m): 4:55pm On Sep 21, 2013
If only Dede can loose plenty of pounds.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by hitman2911: 5:06pm On Sep 21, 2013
olumidaie: that chichi guy in a big NO because he is an americana; he wouldn't be able to put the naija swag especially the pidgin.

The dede dude is also a big NO because he isn't an actor, and he is too old. Besides, despite he being with fela for ages, it does nit necessarily mean that he would be able to imitate fela.

As for the job; I think their so many potential FELAs in WARRI who can throw that pidgin; or JAMAICA who have the craze and 'razness', and of course marijuana.

smileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmiley

It is very obvious you don't know what is required for a box of this nature. To get a local Warri guy for international box office?You must be joking.

For your information Dede is a trained graduate actor with acting awards. You only need to see him performing afrobeat and see if you can separate him from Fela , that's if you have seen Fela live performance. Fela died when he was still in his 50's so what makes Dede to old? Is he to act as a teenager. ?

I believe Chinwetel can play the role. It is not the usual 2 weeks nollywood production. He can stay in Warri or Lagos for some weeks and get his pidgin lines. Mind u he will also speak queen english because Fela speaks the 2.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by hitman2911: 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2013
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by hitman2911: 5:25pm On Sep 21, 2013
shymexx: Who the hell is Dede Mabiaku? Is it the same senile Dede the Deridegull of nl?

Anyway, it should be between Chiwetel Ejiofor and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. Adewale shouldn't have a problem playing Fela Kuti because he has played naija characters loads of times. Adebisi in Oz and Mr. Eko in Lost. He speaks the language and he can bring his own dimension into it, like he did with "Adebisi" in Oz.

We can throw Idris Elba in there since he's a big fan of Fela Kuti as well and he tweets in pigeon English sometimes.

Yeah I think. Akinnuoye Agbaje may be a good take considering his past roles as a Naija man on international scene.
All the same, I believe the production team know what they are looking for and who will best fit the roles. The production has a lot of Nigerian contribution unlike Fela on broadway. Producer and script writer are Nigerian but hope they still have the naija touch and the film will have the real shrine swag.
Dede would have been the best for the original shrine swagger but for the international dimension for the lead actor.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by maclatunji: 5:34pm On Sep 21, 2013
Just for the record. Dede is a graduate of the Department of Theatre Arts at the University of
Benin, he has a B.A. Honours degree.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Rossikk(m): 5:41pm On Sep 21, 2013
babyosisi: The Dede mabiaku person if that is his pic,is as ugly as fela,let him play fela

Please return to the kitchen where you belong. This discussion is for men.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by DisGuy: 6:12pm On Sep 21, 2013
Orikinla:
Thank you.
Many people don't know that Dede is a seasoned actor.[b][/b]
Dede Mabiaku played a major role in Render To Caesar, 2013, "Captain Yusuf" in Jeta Amata's Black November, 2012, and "King Oche" in Inale.

there must be a reason many people don't know 'a seasoned' actor

you have basically listed the only 3 films this seasoned actor have on IMDb and even on those he's not listed as the top billed actor

tut tut whoever considered him for the main role definitely started off on the wrong foot, at most he can be used as a consultant
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by scobaba: 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2013
Y'all will be surprised @ how chiwetel will kill that character. That guy is a professional.

Who believed forest whitaker would play idi amin the way he did in last king of scotland?

These guys are good. Believe me, the producers who opted for chiwetel know exactly what they are doing.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 21, 2013
prof800:
Fela is ugly..?
I doubt you've seen him.
If you think he is ugly, then you don't know him!

Very very ugly
Physically he is a very ugly man
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Jamji: 8:21pm On Sep 21, 2013
very dumb thread, is it not the actor you will consider? smh
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by Chinom(m): 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2013
Dede will do justice to Fela's personality. Chinwetalu will sell more to the Western world. He can never portray Fela the way Dede would. Dede would be more authentic.
The producers will ultimately go for the money.
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by prof800(m): 9:52pm On Sep 21, 2013
babyosisi:

Very very ugly
Physically he is a very ugly man
KAI..!
**hits his head against the wall**
My...FELA..!
My own Icon..
**points his walking stick at her**
Don't call my Fela ugly again!
Ehn...look at him...
"most handsome African Legend"

Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by aykay45(m): 11:16pm On Sep 21, 2013
For God's sake dats y dey are actors nah, no b say na d whole pidgin he go learn, Chinwetel wil do it BEST
Re: Who Can Play Fela Better: Chiwetel Ejiofor Or Dede Mabiaku? by dapsonlou(m): 11:17pm On Sep 21, 2013
homesteady: The chiwetel guy has a little resemblance with fela!
but the only problem is that would he be able to speak pidgin?

Chiwetel is igbo, ofcos he can speak pidgin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Monica Wins The MTN Project Fame Season 4 / Miracle OP Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House / Offline Downloading Or "fishing"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.