Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,981 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:00 PM

Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? (7395 Views)

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / If You Are Asked To Choose Another Tribe In Your Next Life,What Will It Be ? / Are You Proud Of Your Tribal Mark? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 21, 2013
Well I open this thread to ask what are the advantages and disadvantages of marrying your tribe or someone from another tribe. How will it affect the couple in terms of understanding each other in the home front since they are from different culture? How can they sustain their individual culture and eventually when they start having children, how will the couple cope since they are from different tribes,are they going to help the children understand both language,culture and tradition or will they just going to speak English in the house forgetting about their own language,cultural values and tradition? So will you marry your tribe or another tribe puting all this into consideration and if you are already married to either your tribe or another tribe please share your experience with us.
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by komek(m): 1:10pm On Sep 21, 2013
From the Topic OP, let us forget about this love thing.

I will like to marry from my tribe. Reason been that of language, culture, food, etc.

Language: I would prefer a common language in the house. Its very necessary ur children speak ur language and understand ur culture and not that of another tribe cos they were born and brought up there. If they understand it, that's still ok. I like it when couples code their language when a visitor is around. And I like rapping my language like shit.

Culture: I discover some cultures accept what other don't accept. Getting a spouse who is from ur tribe would reduce some fear. After all she or he knows the outcome of every action carried out.

Food: As a village boy, I like the foods from my tribe. They are wonderful. I have been in this city for a very long time buh have not been able to eat any food belonging to them cos I am not used to it.
Another point is becos it is biblical too. Again, I will not have the fear of anybody running away with my children.

Disadvantage: from my experience, I discover that some pple are not always confortable when pple from other gisting in their presence. This cud cos unneccesary tension in the house.

An uncle ones married from one tribe, he was unable to build a toilet anywher, buh her wife had built a duplex in her villa courtesy my Uncles cash.

Advantages and Disadvantages plenty jare, so choose what u want for ursef.

2 Likes

Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Ama28(f): 1:27pm On Sep 21, 2013
komek: From the Topic OP, let us forget about this love thing.

I will like to marry from my tribe. Reason been that of language, culture, food, etc.

Language: I would prefer a common language in the house. Its very necessary ur children speak ur language and understand ur culture and not that of another tribe cos they were born and brought up there. If they understand it, that's still ok. I like it when couples code their language when a visitor is around. And I like rapping my language like shit.

Culture: I discover some cultures accept what other don't accept. Getting a spouse who is from ur tribe would reduce some fear. After all she or he knows the outcome of every action carried out.

Food: As a village boy, I like the foods from my tribe. They are wonderful. I have been in this city for a very long time buh have not been able to eat any food belonging to them cos I am not used to it.
Another point is becos it is biblical too. Again, I will not have the fear of anybody running away with my children.

Disadvantage: from my experience, I discover that some pple are not always confortable when pple from other gisting in their presence. This cud cos unneccesary tension in the house.

An uncle ones married from one tribe, he was unable to build a toilet anywher, buh her wife had built a duplex in her villa courtesy my Uncles cash.

I hope you don't go ten foot pole near a girl who is not from your tribe after writing all these!
Let's wait till you fall in love then u can come back and tell us whom your marrying!
Goodluck though!

2 Likes

Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by passionate88: 6:10am On Sep 22, 2013
Never. I hate hearing that talk. "I must marry my tribal person". Are there no better boy/girl out there?.

If it's possible sef I no go marry any naija gal.
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 24, 2013
I will marry any1 am compartible with even if he's from space!

4 Likes

Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by dasparrow: 11:23am On Sep 26, 2013
@Post

Compatibility is more important than whether the person is from my tribe or not.
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by tpia5: 5:43pm On Sep 26, 2013
Well, i just saw the headline 8000 women in zamfara state have asked the government to help them find husbands.

So, i guess at some point, its no longer about tribe.

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Fulaman198(m): 4:34pm On Sep 28, 2013
Ideally, I would prefer to marry another Fulani woman to maintain our language and tradition. But I will marry whichever woman loves me the most.
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2013
Joavid: I will marry any1 am compartible with even if he's from space!

^^
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
I'm from the Caribbean, he is Igbo <--- This is how we both identify ourselves; a geographical region marrying a tribe. Interesting undecided
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Fulaman198(m): 4:34pm On Oct 01, 2013
Flytefalls: I'm from the Caribbean, he is Igbo <--- This is how we both identify ourselves; a geographical region marrying a tribe. Interesting undecided

Saying someone is Igbo is like saying someone is Danish or German. Germans have their own language, culture, etc. Same goes for the Igbos. Igbo is an ethnic group.
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
Fulaman198:

Saying someone is Igbo is like saying someone is Danish or German. Germans have their own language, culture, etc. Same goes for the Igbos. Igbo is an ethnic group.
I know that, I was simply reflecting on self-identity. I wonder if I am being lazy by calling myself "Caribbean" at times, but this is my choice I guess.
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Fulaman198(m): 5:03pm On Oct 01, 2013
Flytefalls:
I know that, I was simply reflecting on self-identity. I wonder if I am being lazy by calling myself "Caribbean" at times, but this is my choice I guess.

Which country do you come from in the Caribbean?
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
Fulaman198:

Which country do you come from in the Caribbean?
Jamaica (although my grandad is full Chinese) + SVG. It's a heavy job to represent all, but I do love all aspects of my heritage. Belonging to an actual tribe? Well, sadly I am several denominations away from learning that truth but I will happily adopt my fiancé's grin.

There is a peculiar romance about belonging somewhere in particular that I admire about tribal groups (although even those can be further distinguished) smiley
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Ngbokwu: 8:50am On Oct 02, 2013
Nothing will ever make me marry outside Igboland.

5 Likes

Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Afam4eva(m): 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
Flytefalls:
Don't you guys have ethnic groups in Jamaica?
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by ifyalways(f): 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
Komek,Interesting POV.
As for me,I be MTN. . .I don port tey tey cheesy
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by tpia5: 10:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
Getting so tired of these threads.

I dont know why people cant just come out and state their need to marry, maybe marriage is a no-no where you come from, or marriage is not supported in your culture and you prefer to branch out since your ideals are different from that.

Is there really a need for all these multiple topics, geez.

Just a rant!

Carry on!
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
Heavy loaded question. But yes, of course we do. The Jamaican identity is strong. It is enough to say 'I am Jamaican', but that's very vague in terms of ethnic heritage.

...anyway, it's all good smiley. While I take an active interest in all cultures, I don't believe a beautiful thing should be enforced as a physical barrier between people. We can all learn and adapt to the culture surrounding those we marry (says my future MIL frequently, esp concerning Nigerian food) grin
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by komek(m): 7:48am On Oct 03, 2013
ifyalways: Komek,Interesting POV.
As for me,I be MTN. . .I don port tey tey cheesy

Nne as a new entrant on NL, pls what's the full meaning of the Acronym POV biko?
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by passionate88: 8:05am On Oct 03, 2013
POV= Point Of View
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Kunleskey(m): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
Lmao! Ure rite
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
[size=28pt]FORGET ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE (if any), IT IS YOUR DUTY TO MARRY FROM YOUR TRIBE, AS TRIBESPEOPLES. THE END.[/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by komek(m): 8:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
komek: From the Topic OP, let us forget about this love thing.

Disadvantage: from my experience, I discover that some pple are not always confortable when pple from other tribe are gisting in their presence. This cud cos unneccesary tension in the house.

Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=28pt]FORGET ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE (if any), IT IS YOUR DUTY TO MARRY FROM YOUR TRIBE, AS TRIBESPEOPLES. THE END.[/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

you are aware that many african tribes are the result of two or more tribes mixing right? lipsrsealed grin
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Fulaman198(m): 8:36pm On Oct 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

What if a Fulani, Zaghawa, Toubou or Kanuri woman spoke fluent Hausa and was the most beautiful woman you have ever seen from head to toe, nice face, beautiful hands, beautiful legs, beautiful bosom, beautiful feet, would you still say no to her?
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
Afam4eva:

NOPE! cool cool

we have communities that have their own
traditions but we all view each other as one. smiley
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:42pm On Oct 08, 2013
*Kails*:

you are aware that many african tribes are the result of two or more tribes mixing right? lipsrsealed grin

which tribe. Mixing between similar tribes doesnt matter or tribes from a distant common root.
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:44pm On Oct 08, 2013
Fulaman198:

What if a Fulani, Zaghawa, Toubou or Kanuri woman spoke fluent Hausa and was the most beautiful woman you have ever seen from head to toe, nice face, beautiful hands, beautiful legs, beautiful bosom, beautiful feet, would you still say no to her?

One must not give in to base temptations. For temptations lead to sin.

In dire cases:

Fulani: No

Zaghawa: Maybe/Yes

TOubou: maybe. but no chance. Not much possibility.

Kanuri: No/Maybe

However if you suggest something like:

Igbo, Yoruba, Igala, Itsekiri, ZUlu, Tuareg, etc.

Then its definitely a NO. NO. NO.
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

which tribe. Mixing between similar tribes doesnt matter or tribes from a distant common root.

mixing is mixing sir.
according to you mixing is wrong, yet there are africans who as individuals are a mix of two or more tribes
as well as entire tribes that are a collection of different people. wink

as i told fula not too long ago, you have an ancient group such as the masai and their cousins the rendille who are
a mix of nilotic ppls and cushitic peoples.

you also have some tutsi who are a mix of bantu and cushitic.

Even some of your own Hausa ppl are chadic and nilotic. wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa_people#Genetics
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 08, 2013
Africans are not as pure as some of you would like us to believe. wink
Re: Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe? by Fulaman198(m): 8:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

One must not give in to base temptations. For temptations lead to sin.

In dire cases:

Fulani: No

Zaghawa: Maybe/Yes

TOubou: maybe. but no chance. Not much possibility.

Kanuri: No/Maybe

However if you suggest something like:

Igbo, Yoruba, Igala, Itsekiri, ZUlu, Tuareg, etc.

Then its definitely a NO. NO. NO.

LOL come on man you say that now about not giving into temptation, but even the most strongest willed men sometimes do because we start to think with our other heads. Maybe you are not this way, but I can tell you if a Zaghawa, Tuareg, Hausa, Kanuri, Toubou, etc. woman approached me and she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen and she also spoke Fulfulde (there are a lot of non Fulani who also speak Fulfulde or the Kirdi people and Bute people) I don't know if I would be able to reject her if she was so beautiful that my mind is tantalized.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eid Mubarak Messages,sms And Greetings 2015 / History Of Umuoji Town, Idemili North, Anambra / Okosisi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.