Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,397 members, 7,846,660 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Badagry Lynching: Police Exhume Victim’s Corpse - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Badagry Lynching: Police Exhume Victim’s Corpse (536 Views)

Poll Officials Escape Lynching In Anambra / Bomb Scare: Air Force Personnel Escapes Lynching / Police Exhume Student’s Corpse For Autopsy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Badagry Lynching: Police Exhume Victim’s Corpse by Ping411: 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2013
The investigation into the brutal murder of two men, Ifechukwudi Nwanikpor and Kazeem Onayemi is nearing conclusion as the corpse of Onayemi (26), one of the victims of the Badagry lynching, has been exhumed by the police.

Nigerian Telegraph gathered that a team of policemen led by a former Officer- in -Charge of the Homicide Department at Panti Yaba, visited the burial site at Badagry on September 21, exactly two months after the daylight lynching and exhumed Kazeem’s corpse for autopsy.

It was further gathered that the police also exhumed the corpse of Asharigbo, the head of the vigilante group at Tozukame community in Badagry, who allegedly shot himself in the stomach after he arrested Kazeem and Ifechukwudi, the two young men lynched over his death.

Mr. Tajudeen Onayemi, Kazeem’s father confirmed his son’s corpse was exhumed by the police.

He said, “Yes, the police came to Badagry yesterday (Saturday) and they exhumed my son’s corpse and took it to LASUTH (Lagos State University Teaching Hospital) for autopsy. They told me they want to examine his corpse to know what killed him. I could not go with them to the burial ground but my younger brother went with them.

The police have returned Kazeem’s corpse to the burial site on Sunday and I was with them when they returned him. The police also exhumed the body of the vigilante man (Asharigbo) the community killed my son because of that man (sic). Well, I am still waiting for the outcome of their investigation,” Mr. Onayemi said.

Kazeem was an ‘Alumaco’ fabricator apprentice and the only son of his father but was lynched alongside his friend Ifechukwudi, a graduate of Geology and Mining, by villagers from the Tozukame community Ajara, Badagry over allegations that the young men were armed robbers, who caused the death of Asharigbo.

The brutal murder of the two men on July 21 would have gone with the wind but for a video recording of the gruesome murder, which went viral on YouTube.

The video exposed policemen attached to the Badagry police station as they stood by with their patrol van and watched the villagers club the young men to death.

A special team set up by the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Umar Manko, arrested the policemen and some perpetrators of the brutal murder. About seven suspects, including three policemen, are said to be in police custody over the murder.

Ifechukwudi has since been buried after an autopsy was carried out. However, his family has relocated from Badagry as they could not bear the trauma of his brutal death.

Samuel Nwanikpor, Ifechukwudi’s father, said he was looking forward to the prosecution of his son’s killers. “The police should do all they can to carry out a thorough investigation. The video recording of how my son and his friend were murdered is there for the world to see. I am going with my lawyer to see the police and I am seeking justice for my son.

Everybody involved in the killing of those young men would be made to face the full wrath of the law. I will not give in to any blackmail until I get justice for my son,” he said.

http://telegraphng.com/2013/09/badagry-lynching-police-exhume-victims-corpse/

(1) (Reply)

Time To Reclaim Nigeria / Pro-tukur Reps Risk Suspension Over Plot To Impeach Tambuwal / Nigeria Is Changing But We Know Not

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.