Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

ASUU Vows To Continue Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Vows To Continue Strike (32102 Views)

ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike / ASUU Unijos Vows To Continue Strike Despite Presidential Directives / Niger State Polytechnic ASSUP Vows To Continue Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by ifeanyija(m): 6:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has blamed the rot in the Nigerian university system on the Executive Secretary of the National University Commission, Julius Okojie, saying his failure to insist on quality has bastardised Nigerian universities.

The lecturers also vowed to continue their strike unless the federal government honours the 2009 agreement it had with the union.

In a statement signed by its University of Ibadan branch chairman, Olusegun Ajiboye, ASUU renewed its call for the scraping or a total overhaul of the regulatory institution if the nation wishes to get it right in university education management.

While calling on the National Assembly to beam its searchlight on the activities of the NUC, Mr. Ajiboye said the recent NEEDS assessment report on universities reflects how much the commission has failed in its duties as a regulator.

According to him, the report undertaken by genuine academics contradicts NUC’s accreditation exercises which gave ‘controversial’ clean bill of health to most universities through “magomago accreditation.”

The union contended that only in a society like Nigeria would Mr. Okojie still remain in office after being heavily indicted in the report, saying “in sane climes, the NUC boss ought to have resigned through the revelations made in the NEEDS assessment report.”

Mr. Okojie had, last week, absorbed his commission of any wrongdoing in the rot plaguing public universities in the country, particularly as regards undeserved accreditation, blaming members of the ASUU instead.

Mr. Ajiboye, who described the statement credited to the NUC boss as ‘careless’, accused Mr. Okojie of using his cronies who can do his biddings to embark on accreditation.

He said the success of the 2011 elections was based on the patriotic zeal and contributions of genuine and patriotic ASUU members nationwide saying that was why the election was free of hanky-panky recorded in past elections.

The ASUU statement titled ‘Where Okojie Got It Wrong,’ insisted that the NUC boss is fond of using his ‘yes sir’ boys to do hatchet jobs during accreditations, thereby compromising quality most of the time.

The union said its almost three-month-old strike is fully on, adding that the it would not allow itself to be fooled again with ‘promisory notes’ of the federal government which had never worked in the past.

“ASUU cannot be blamed for NUC ‘magomago’ accreditations. Rather than blaming the Union, Okojie should take full responsibility for all the fraudulent deeds in the NUC, including the work and eat accreditations.

“The NUC knows the kind of academics they select for their ignoble exercises. These are cronnies of the big man in the NUC. They can never say no to his biddings. Nigerians should be proud of ASUU in it’s efforts at repositioning public universities in the country. One of these major efforts is the NEEDS Assessment Document.

“This was a product of a rigorous academic exercise carried out by dependable and credible members of our Union. Unlike the numerous faulty accreditation reports which had given these universities clean bill of health, the NEEDS Assessment Report stands out as a classical document of reference detailing the rot and decay in public universities in Nigeria. All well meaning Nigerians can see the contrast between okojie’s ‘packaged accreditation reports’ and a credible job done by ASUU.

“It has become very clear from the Needs Assessment that Okojie and his cohort of accreditors have fooled this country for too long. Enough they say is enough. Time is now for the Government to beam a searchlight on the activities of the NUC.

“The Education Committees in both the Senate and House of Representatives have an arduous task to do here. Nigerians are calling for dismantling of an omnibus body that has done the country more harm than good. NUC must go.

“Professor Julius Okojie cannot absolve himself from the rot in the university system by regulating quantity instead of ensuring quality delivery,” ASUU said.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/145204-ASUU-vows-continue-strike-lecturers-blame-nuc-boss-rot-nigerian-universities.html

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by ATOYEJE(m): 6:55pm On Sep 22, 2013
hw did u xpect me to read all dc...i gt more beta things to do jawe

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by theplanmaker: 6:57pm On Sep 22, 2013
it is true that Nigerian universities are poorly funded, hence they lack basic teaching and learning facilities. but the major rot in our institutions has little to do with funding. lack of ethics, discipline and standard among those who administer education in Nigeria has been our biggest undoing. the lecturers who collect money in exchange for marks, or demand sexual favours from female students are all ASUU members. they are responsible for the brain drain in the country. so if ASUU is actually fighting for a better educational system, they should start by cleaning their own house first. even with pour funding, if lecturers are determined to teach and do what is right, we ll produce employable graduates ......I think this ASUU strike is all about "earned allowances" nothing more

52 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Chazzyboy: 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
I've heard Many things i pray may ASUU strike end

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Hopez456(m): 7:41pm On Sep 22, 2013
This must be a stale news cos it has been in the media before now. What we are waiting for is the outcome of ASUU NEC meeting.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Samgreguc(m): 8:12pm On Sep 22, 2013
Am tired mehnn! All I wanna hear from Faggae is "the strike has being called-off"
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by mcevans1(m): 10:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
Samgreguc: Am tired mehnn! All I wanna hear from Faggae is "the strike has being called-off"

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by delors(m): 10:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
2 ASUU topics line after line on FP. Same content. One a summary...the other a filibuster.
MODs are def asleep cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Mubby4luv(m): 10:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
ASUU head dey hot. Old men are not smiling angry
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by kilmix: 10:18pm On Sep 22, 2013
"Facts of the weekend"... Balotelli missed a penalty. Mikel scored in EPL. Valdes is catching penalties. Arsenal is topping the league table. Man-U lost with Webb as referee. Barca had 48% ball possession.. Signs of End time.

39 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by homesteady(m): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
So in other words, we'll continue to stay at home! cry
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by LMAyedun(m): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
Continue nau... Mstcheeeewwww!!!
When u don taya, u go call am off.

Make I go crash jare.
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by djeezy(m): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
Selfish lots who cannot hearken to the plight of the students. Have they bothered to reflect on the effects and consequences? An idle mind is the devil's workshop. This is a ridicule on our educational sector. The strike is in limbo, thank God my school didn't join them. All hail RSUST.
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by lordkrato(m): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
Omo, dem don renew contract oo....
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by X111: 10:20pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ride On ASUU...I dey ur bk o

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by COvo(m): 10:26pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ok ASUU.I hope that after the whole thing there'd be only 20 students in a lecture room,air conditioned lecture halls,and standard sporting facilities in our schools...Or Else!...

9 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Big4wig(m): 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2013
Click like if u agree with me dat both ASUU & FG need ASX WHOOPING for being just heartless & wicked to d poor students...heartless ungrateful bast*ards

#Bigwig

11 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2013
And to think I was hoping for a resolution after their meeting with the VP, wurris this.....I think I should place a bounty on fagge's head, someone should kidnap the ASUU president and get them to call off as a condition for his release

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Onwe101(m): 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2013
Y did I even open dis thread?ma anger com increase...
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by timwezzb(m): 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2013
No Hope 4 Nigeria Education System!
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 22, 2013
When ur demands have bin met and u people still sell hand outs in the name of text book,lecture 4 times in a semester,threaten prsn wit F,make ursef god and ask of sortin na den una go sabi solidarity....bunch of greedy old men

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Uyi168: 10:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
hmm....all is nt well
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by rottable(m): 10:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
are they all sick, i am tired of these blame game that they all playing . What is uncle jona doin about these scenario ?
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by pseudonomer: 10:31pm On Sep 22, 2013
C.Ovo:
Ok ASUU.I hope that after the whole thing there'd be only 20 students in a lecture room,air conditioned lecture halls,and standard sporting facilities in our schools...Or Else!...

For your dream...

1 Like

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by Nobody: 10:32pm On Sep 22, 2013
Oneday, power will change hand for good.

NB: Am not referring to APC or whatever their name is.
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by imsuboi(m): 10:32pm On Sep 22, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by eyoniggar(m): 10:32pm On Sep 22, 2013
kilmix: "Facts of the weekend"... Balotelli missed a penalty. Mikel scored in EPL. Valdes is catching penalties. Arsenal is topping the league table. Man-U lost with Webb as referee. Barca had 48% ball possession.. Signs of End time.

It cnt be signs of end time, because one fact of yours is wrong, Barca didnt have a lesser ball possession to any team by 48%. OPURO.!! grin

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by rottable(m): 10:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
[quote author=kilmix]"Facts of the weekend"... Balotelli missed a penalty. Mikel scored in EPL. Valdes is catching penalties. Arsenal is topping the league table. Man-U lost with Webb as referee. Barca had 48% ball possession.. Signs of End time.[/quohow does these relate with to the topic te]
Re: ASUU Vows To Continue Strike by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:35pm On Sep 22, 2013
Blame this, blame that. ASUU! Ah!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of Public Primary School In Delta State / Poor Condition Of UNIPORT Students' Hostels (Pictures & Video) / Sylvester Oromoni Was Told To Describe His Sister’s Private Part - Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.