Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

What Happened To Blackberry? - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Happened To Blackberry? (30819 Views)

Craziest Thing That Happened To Me In 2015 / NL.... Time To Return To Blackberry Guys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by Harrybanty(m): 12:09pm On Sep 25, 2013
Thread closed

Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by AlabaSlim: 1:19pm On Sep 25, 2013
obisage: What is left now is for our network providers to introduce an unlimited data plan for android phone.
That will be a RIP For blackberry.
I was never a fan,
I don'tenjoy anything
That turns people crazy!!
They cannot & will never try that cos androids, windows, tecno etc have refused to COMPRESS THEIR DATA PHONEs like BB did (cheaper internet data service)
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by lakad4u(m): 1:38pm On Sep 25, 2013
Sometimes people just argue blindly without having the real fact and Brian of what they are saying...
You keep shouting andriods,you know how many phones that rocks under andriod,bb is just a phone company on there own,running there own OS,but andriod phone have many phones under it,like samsund,htc,tecno,sony xperia,well I don't have anybody to blame sha...if not because of tecno that made everything cheap,people who are rocking tecno of 12k self will be here shouting..
Just take time and save your annual salary and get blackberry Q10,then you know jesus no be Lagos boi...mumu set of people

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by winteriscoming: 3:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
lakad4u: Sometimes people just argue blindly without having the real fact and Brian of what they are saying...
You keep shouting andriods,you know how many phones that rocks under andriod,bb is just a phone company on there own,running there own OS,but andriod phone have many phones under it,like samsund,htc,tecno,sony xperia,well I don't have anybody to blame sha...if not because of tecno that made everything cheap,people who are rocking tecno of 12k self will be here shouting..
Just take time and save your annual salary and get blackberry Q10,then you know jesus no be Lagos boi...mumu set of people

Your point being?
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by Solarpower(m): 5:25pm On Sep 25, 2013
life_style: Blackberry is underutilized in this part of the word.

blackberry is beyond bbm.
what does a BB do dat an ANDROID can't do? Underutilized my foot!!! tongue
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by Solarpower(m): 5:29pm On Sep 25, 2013
lakad4u: Sometimes people just argue blindly without having the real fact and Brian of what they are saying...
beta go get ursf examined. Be sure u'r nt hi on fanta.
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by krugar07(m): 5:30pm On Sep 25, 2013
Solarpower: what does a BB do dat an ANDROID can't do? Underutilized my foot!!! tongue
legally subscribe for bis. and you wont be afraid to call customer care when its(the bis) not working
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by zynzyn(m): 5:32pm On Sep 25, 2013
The mobile phone market has shifted from hardware driven to software driven. cool

Nokia had no choice ultimately.

Blackberry were sleeping.

I've never been a bb freak anyway!
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by Solarpower(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2013
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by Solarpower(m): 5:49pm On Sep 25, 2013
JMOI: Amid a dwindling revenue base and shrinking profit, the company’s chief executive, Thorsten Heins (in case you don’t know, he took over the management of the company in 2011 after its founders were ousted by angry and disappointed investors who were no longer confident in their leadership) announced some days back that the company intends to shed 4,500 of its staff in a bid to cut costs and channel resources into areas that are likely to rescue the company from the throes of a takeover or a fold up. It is a figure that represents nearly half of its global workforce and it is coming barely months after another wholesale layoff in which the company parted ways with a lot of workers.

Perhaps, one of the areas which Heins and co. intend to channel their resources into is their popular Blackberry Messenger service. On September 21, Blackberry Ltd. released its Blackberry Messenger service on iOS and Android platforms and within two days it had recorded over 1.1 million downloads worldwide. It was a last-ditch effort to salvage the troubled company with its flagship service. The warm reception to the move from the smartphone community shows that there is still life in the Blackberry franchise after all, but that did not come without its own glitches as they were forced to halt the roll-out after an unofficial version of the BBM for Android app was posted online.

In a period that has seen Finnish giants, Nokia, sell its phone manufacturing unit to USA’s Microsoft, one can only but wonder if Blackberry is doomed to go the “Nokia way” or fizzle out like Motorola before it.

But what happened to Blackberry? A lot of things went wrong with Blackberry, but it all boils down to three major things.

Blackberry Messenger

Blackberry Messenger was once upon a time Blackberry’s numero uno feature. Years (or even months) ago, if you didn’t have a BBM pin, you were either not buoyant enough to get yourself a Blackberry and rub shoulders with the business elite or you were simply not interested the whole smartphone craze.

But today, it has become a waterloo of sorts for the Waterloo, Ontario-based firm. Previously touted as the world’s most flexible and secure social networking platform for messaging (which was a top draw for the phone’s customers until late 2011 or early 2012), the emergence of Whatsapp and other instant messaging services has ensured that it is no longer “if it’s not BBM, then you must be joking”. Smartphones from other companies now come with their own messaging platforms and there are thousands of mobile messaging apps available for download on the internet.

The fact that BBM is now available on rival platforms, iOS and Android might just spell the end of the road for Blackberry as smartphone makers. They could as well now bid goodbye to the smartphone industry and focus on developing software for other companies to use.

No variety whatsoever:

Blackberry made no efforts to treat its customers with variety, which they say is the spice of life, until the recent release of the Blackberry Q10 which came rather too late. It’s astonishing how Blackberry failed to learn from the very mistake that made rivals, Nokia, go under. Blackberry releases new phones constantly, but the problem with that is that the phones are not quite new. They may be brand-new, but nothing is new about them beyond the model name and the price. One new release after the other, we ended up with basically the same phone over and over again with barely-noticeable differences here and there. It’s like a James Bond franchise with the same plot and characters over and over again. Why would I want to replace my old Blackberry with a new one if the new one has exactly the same features and looks as the old one, but costs nearly twice as much?

Tecno, Samsung, Apple and others:

[bold]The emergence of the Hong Kong-based Tecno[/bold] as major players in the budget smartphone niche has really put BB out of its element. Blackberry’s share of the smartphone market it once dominated is on an ever-increasing slide. In emerging markets, it is on a losing battle with budget smartphone makers Tecno (Africa) and Samsung (Asia). In developed markets, it is battling with high-end products from Samsung (again) and, of course, Apple. The acquisition of Nokia’s mobile phone manufacturing unit by Microsoft piles further misery on the Canadian company as it could slide further down from its position (behind Samsung and Apple) to somewhere behind Microsoft-Nokia. Other companies like Huawei, LG, ZTE and Sony are lurking in the shadows and they are not far behind in the race.

http://observerreports.com/2013/09/what-went-wrong-with-blackberry/
@OP,abeg abeg abeg,TECNO nor be Hong Kong cmpany n its nt based there. Tecno na confam Chinese cmpany. Thank U
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by krugar07(m): 6:22pm On Sep 25, 2013
Solarpower: @OP,abeg abeg abeg,TECNO nor be Hong Kong cmpany n its nt based there. Tecno na confam Chinese cmpany. Thank U
you didnt have to quote that whole thing. only GOD knows. buy cheap brandless chinese android phones for less than 10k. 15k if you want tecno written at the back.
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by dokunbam(m): 10:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
What's will happen to whatsapp

Pple will abandon whatsapp for bbm on Android
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by young5(m): 12:49am On Sep 26, 2013
Blackberry don finish! Nothing for them again
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by Nobody: 12:51am On Sep 26, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
What happened to Walkmans?

What happened to floppy disks?

[size=18pt]What happened to timberland boots?[/size]

What happened to eight tracks?

What happened to cassettes and cassette players?

What happened to Dialup?

What happened to Cammo?

What happened....

Same thing happened, evolution baby, and blackberry just didn't evolve quickly enough!

grin grin
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by dexterinc2003: 7:06am On Sep 26, 2013
Ok after reading some of the posts above,I'm convinced some ppl just hate bb for nothing,hate it or love it,ppl will always buy bbs,cos its more than d bbm,dis same company that u ppl 'hate' so much offered d world bbm,n ppl we're running helter skelter 2 download(1.1M),personally,I think the only reason why some ppl don't 'like' bb is because of its bbm or maybe d bis dat gives it a unique platform diff from others and truth remains d only thing dat can drive bbs out of d market is if ur android starts running on bis.........ps;I own an s4.
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by Ayomax(m): 9:09am On Sep 26, 2013
dexterinc2003: Ok after reading some of the posts above,I'm convinced some ppl just hate bb for nothing,hate it or love it,ppl will always buy bbs,cos its more than d bbm,dis same company that u ppl 'hate' so much offered d world bbm,n ppl we're running helter skelter 2 download(1.1M),personally,I think the only reason why some ppl don't 'like' bb is because of its bbm or maybe d bis dat gives it a unique platform diff from others and truth remains d only thing dat can drive bbs out of d market is if ur android starts running on bis.........ps;I own an s4.
then u are just too dumb to use an android phn
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 26, 2013
dexterinc2003: Ok after reading some of the posts above,I'm convinced some ppl just hate bb for nothing,hate it or love it,ppl will always buy bbs,cos its more than d bbm,dis same company that u ppl 'hate' so much offered d world bbm,n ppl we're running helter skelter 2 download(1.1M),personally,I think the only reason why some ppl don't 'like' bb is because of its bbm or maybe d bis dat gives it a unique platform diff from others and truth remains d only thing dat can drive bbs out of d market is if ur android starts running on bis.........ps;I own an s4.
JUST AS MY GUY SAID.. UR TOO DUMB TO OWN AN ANDROID.

P.S U DONT OWN NO S4..

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by JMOI: 10:16am On Sep 26, 2013
Solarpower: @OP,abeg abeg abeg,TECNO nor be Hong Kong cmpany n its nt based there. Tecno na confam Chinese cmpany. Thank U
Tecno is based in Hong Kong and Hong Kong is a semi-autonomous province in China.
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by winteriscoming: 10:22am On Sep 26, 2013
JMOI: Tecno is based in Hong Kong and Hong Kong is a semi-autonomous province in China.
Some people are too dumb to use a smartphone period. that was information he could have easily googled.
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by dexterinc2003: 10:32pm On Sep 26, 2013
@ayomax,I really don't argue wit fools*no time*@ deejay,sry r u d im.becile broda of the fool above?*just asking*
Re: What Happened To Blackberry? by laurentunt: 2:28pm On Oct 03, 2014
Olodo Like You Where is Hong Tong

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Get A Phone Number, Given The Imei Number: How Possible? / 9 Ways You Are Accidentally Damaging Your Smart Phone / The Evolution Of Blackberry Pictured In One Image.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.