Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. (872 Views)

What Makes Nigeria The Giant Of Africa / Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! / Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 24, 2013
Nigeria ( The so-called Giant of Africa) is crawling at its feet, not because of bad LEADERSHIP ONLY, but also BAD FOLLOWERS. I am always perplex when people praise governors like that of Lagos and Akwa Ibom so well as if they are doing us a favor for giving us infrastructures, the question is why are they in governance if not to provide ammenties for the masses.
Please dont get me wrong, it is not as if we should not appreciate them but there is no point over-flogging it. In my opinion both governors are just performing averagely well considering the huge resources at their disposal and we wouldnt be an OLIVER TWIST if we ask for more.
If in my opinion, governors like Fashola, Akpabio still needs to do more for their state, then it now baffles me when i see funny threads on nairaland e.g Onitsha the new the industrial hub of Nigeria, Enugu the pride of the east, lagos the mega city.....smh. Onitsha that has no major infrastructural development is now the industrial hub.... smh, a city that has been shown so much neglect. infact uyo (a smaller city) has more infrastructure than it. For how long will we support mediocrity.
Even our big cities e.g. portharcourt is noting to write up about, no good road network, airport looking so bad. Lagos is so dirty, traffic every where, looking more like an un-cordinated city, Enugu, Aba, Warri....etc. Instead of us to positive criticize our government, we will be fighting and tryin to claim our "slum" is better than the other.
Nothing seems to work yet many people keep shouting fresh air, what fresh air i wonder?
South Africa generate 50,000MW of electricity, Nigeria Generate slightly above 3000MW, is dat thefresh air?
Ghana have constant power supply for 24hrs, Most Nigeria can hardly boast of constant 12hrs a day, is dat the fresh air?
Nigeria is liken to countries like Yemen, Iraq and Pakistian in term of terroism and insecurity, is dat the fresh air?
Assu as been on strike for some months now, is dat the fresh air?
People see politics as do or die affair (Feedeefee), is dat the fresh air?
Mr President carry 600 delegates to UN (wasting our oyel money), is dat the fresh air?
WE refine our OYEL in NIGER a poor country because we dont have a functional refinery, is dat the fresh air?
Some people might say, but the northern spoilt it, what good has the southern done to improve it To more both the southern and northern are the same thing.
In conclusion, if we truly want to be a great nation, and the Giant of Africa, we need to SHUN MEDOCRITY and demand for good governance devoid of any RELIGIOUS AND TRIBAL SENTIMENT or else we keep crawling and other fellow Africa country will look at us and scorn us.
Vote Wisely Nigeria.
I rest my case..... MAY GOD BLESS NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by ITbomb(m): 1:00pm On Sep 24, 2013
Many young people wrote more than this in 1981 withour doing nothing yet decades later we still believe our problems just started yesterday or when GEJ came to power.
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by tim107: 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2013
No leader is able to be a servant to two masters: for he will have hate for the one and love for the other, or he will keep to one and have no respect for the other. You may not be servants of People and of wealth.
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by princemmab(m): 1:14pm On Sep 24, 2013
Firstly, I greet n agnize ur nice piece espicially where u mentioned 'positive criticism' among other sound points u made. Without valetudinarianism of words, mediocrity which you mentioned has to be before the entire nation attain the extraordinary or regular state which Nigerians desire. Yes the government has it lapses, but weighing the pros and cons, I want to believe that certain merits have been achieved so far. What we as Nigerians should do is to endeavor that we don't remain in mediocre for so long. With the likes of exceptional governors which u mentioned, this can be achieved.
We hail those outstanding governors not because they do what's off their mission but because in our nation where corruption is gradually gaining balance, only a few of these leaders do what Fashola et al are doing. In d land of the blind a one-eyed man, definitely will be the king.
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by ba7man(m): 1:27pm On Sep 24, 2013
Tboy25:
Nothing seems to work yet many people keep shouting fresh air, what fresh air i wonder?
South Africa generate 50,000MW of electricity, Nigeria Generate slightly above 3000MW, is dat thefresh air?
Ghana have constant power supply for 24hrs, Most Nigeria can hardly boast of constant 12hrs a day, is dat the fresh air?
Nigeria is liken to countries like Yemen, Iraq and Pakistian in term of terroism and insecurity, is dat the fresh air?
Assu as been on strike for some months now, is dat the fresh air?
People see politics as do or die affair (Feedeefee), is dat the fresh air?
Mr President carry 600 delegates to UN (wasting our oyel money), is dat the fresh air?
WE refine our OYEL in NIGER a poor country because we dont have a functional refinery, is dat the fresh air?
Don't ask me.......ask #TEAM FRESH AIR#.
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by bloggernaija: 2:42pm On Sep 24, 2013
We praise fashola because he deserves it.
You could imagine what Lagos would be like right now with a population of less than 10 million.
Better concentrate your criticism to the federal government(GEJ) and Abuja because all the institutions (police , EFFC ,Military,mineral resources,commerce ,foreign affairs ,power etc) and organs of government required to make the country grow/develop are invariably under her control
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Sep 24, 2013
ITbomb: Many young people wrote more than this in 1981 withour doing nothing yet decades later we still believe our problems just started yesterday or when GEJ came to power.

People wrote this kind of article in 1981, so also will they write it 20 years time except Nigerians change their mediocritic attitudes. Nobody said our problems started today but why cant we stand solving them bit by bit today, so day tomorrow we will have a fantastic future.
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 24, 2013
bloggernaija: We praise fashola because he deserves it.
You could imagine what Lagos would be like right now with a population of less than 10 million.
Better concentrate your criticism to the federal government(GEJ) and Abuja because all the institutions (police , EFFC ,Military,mineral resources,commerce ,foreign affairs ,power etc) and organs of government required to make the country grow/develop are invariably under her control
Well, i understand your point, but your point is not entirely correct. For instance it is not the Federal government duty to construct the road that leads to your village, it is the local government duty. Governance start from grassroot, once the LG and State Govt are effective, there will be development.
Federal also has its own role to play as well which is also very important, so the 3 phases of governance (LG,SG and FG) are very important. it is now our duty as good citizen to elect politically officer holders OBJECTIVELY i.e. without any bias whether religion or tribal but based on what the person can do rightly.
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 24, 2013
princemmab: Firstly, I greet n agnize ur nice piece espicially where u mentioned 'positive criticism' among other sound points u made. Without valetudinarianism of words, mediocrity which you mentioned has to be before the entire nation attain the extraordinary or regular state which Nigerians desire. Yes the government has it lapses, but weighing the pros and cons, I want to believe that certain merits have been achieved so far. What we as Nigerians should do is to endeavor that we don't remain in mediocre for so long. With the likes of exceptional governors which u mention, this can be achieved.
We hail those outstanding governors not because they do what's off their mission but because in our nation where corruption is gradually gaining balance, only a few of these leaders do what Fashola et al 4 doing. In d land of the blind a one-eyed man, definitely will be the king.
I agree with you. seriously i had to openthe dictionary to get the meaning of some of your words......lol
Yes, the time to stop this medocrity is NOW. It is time to demand for good governance, and the only way to do that is through our VOTES and Positive Criticism.
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by Dpeacemaker101: 4:04pm On Sep 24, 2013
bloggernaija: We praise fashola because he deserves it.
come to think of it, if all our criticism goes to the FG, maybe we can also remove all the state governors cause they are of no use judging from your statement. Before, you made that comment you should have asked yourself the reasons for governors,law makers,local government chairmen,house of assembly and councillors. The reason is to help the FG bring governance closer to you and me.
Re: The So Called Giant Of Africa.................. by princemmab(m): 6:07pm On Sep 24, 2013
Tboy25:
I agree with you. seriously i had to openthe dictionary to get the meaning of some of your words......lol
Yes, the time to stop this medocrity is NOW. It is time to demand for good governance, and the only way to do that is through our VOTES and Positive Criticism.
Absolutely, I concur

(1) (Reply)

Balat, PDP Chieftain Berates Buhari, El-rufai Over Comments On Southern Kaduna / Chime Finally Sends Wife Out Of Govt House / Yoruba Verson Of 1999 Consttutiton Out. !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.