Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,653 members, 7,827,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

Getting Married As An Undergraduate - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Getting Married As An Undergraduate (44324 Views)

I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month / Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by joanne1(f): 7:07pm On Sep 24, 2013
@ Wu zetian & @konnektnz... U guys r so funny belv mi & wat on planet earth makes u fink AGE IS MATURITY I got marryd @ 23 in mi final yr & also got preggy dat same yr & hv got project/finals to fink abt... Mi dear OP i fink u shld ff wat byvan has said & i fink u & ur to b husby shld cme to some sort of agreement... Like sme1 rytly said if he luvs u & u do same den i see no reason y he cant w8 for u also bearing in mind dat tym w8s for no1...
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 24, 2013
younggirl: Hmmmm! SMH[b][/b]
@Op,combining marriage,school nd childbirth IS NOT EASY!!!!!
Hmm,my dear,from d depth of my heart I will tell u the truth! You are still very young,very very young! It takes a lot of guts,patience,sacrifice nd perseverance! Why not wait till ur final year?
Here's my story! I was a customer in JAMB,not because of failure but because I stubbornly insisted on going to a particular university! I ended up spending eight years at home when most of my secondary school mates had graduated nd doing their masters degree! I met my husband while I was still looking for admission in dat same sch! He encouraged me to do a diploma nd then apply for direct entry later which I did! We got married the following year nd I got admission dat same year! It wasn't easy,two years delay,finally took in but d pregnancy dealth wt me! I missed three of my exams due to hyperemesis gravidarum! Was always in d hospital,unfortunately I lost d pregnancy nd dat same week I was to start my exams. My dear,I had to write d exams o! I had no carry over but my GP was very low! After d exams,I took in again and was having severe morning sickness so I had to defer a session!
When I resumed the following year,anoda pregnancy enter. It was also very tough but I wasn't ready to defer anoda session,so I had to go to school wt d pregnancy o,but I missed two of my exams again dat session!
Hubby has been very very helpful if not I wud have quit school o! I was tired of everything! My low grades,taking care of children,stress of inlaws,stress of doing chores etc
So my dear,take a deep breath. Think of the pros nd cons and honestly ask urself if u're ready for this!

@Byvan,we seem to have a lot in common o! Lol

What matters is that you conquered, life is a challenge!!!hahaha!!you really tasted it first class, it makes one stronger smiley

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by passionate88: 7:22pm On Sep 24, 2013
byvan: 36yrs old man ? ? ? Abeg with the rate of infertility among young men,ladies make una choose early,so you fit choose your size not the one wey don pass 30yrs shocked
Wit d way Naija girls dey look down on guys wey dm consider "small guys"? (even if d guy senior her wit 5 yrs)

1 Like

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by achi4u(m): 7:22pm On Sep 24, 2013
iebanehita: @Byvan.. You really are a strong lady. But don't compare yourself to the OP. She has not told us how sound she is academically and if she can combine academic and marital life.

From all what you have said. The ball is in the court of the OP to decide for herself, cz you have said it aLLLLLL.
A very good question for the Op,let her tell us how smart she is.
Based on the little she has wrote on this thread, she can't herself to Byvan baby ...she's more aggressive to her education,infact she's a bookworm unlike the Op.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by eightsin(m): 7:23pm On Sep 24, 2013
i'd say u enjoy ur youth whl being careful of evil vices. Thr wld b plenty of tym for marriage especially if u're d cute 1 wit gud xtrs.
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by bankiele(f): 7:24pm On Sep 24, 2013
From my own experience, i got married in my 500 level and that was the best decision i made
After courting for 6yrs.I was 24 when i got married and we were also in different states , i travelled every weekend and my husband was very supportive.
@op the decision is left for u, mind u i studied medicine and surgery and i graduated with good grades(distinction inclusive)

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by thatchic: 7:25pm On Sep 24, 2013
I did and had my first child at age 23. No regrets. Go for it. I am more worried about the distance, but it will only be for a few years. I don't think 23 is too young. My honey is only 3yrs older than me, but we are still stable and going strong. Some marry at 35 and divorce by 40, so age does not always equal emotional and mental maturity.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by OwoLee(m): 7:27pm On Sep 24, 2013
Naija reasoning...I think its the best thing for the ladies only if their man is capable of taking responsibilities, not too good for guyz cos of too much responsibilities...Money grin!!!anyway, there is nothing beta than getting married early...
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by creativemusic: 7:32pm On Sep 24, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 24, 2013
Konnektions146:
have u looked at your 23year old sister?

bros lets be factual, at 23, over 65% of our girls are not mature enough emotionally and psychologically for that great union called marriage.

U can say that again.... At least , I became mature psychologically for marriage @ 30.....and I dont regret my various decisions , I made along the line to where I am now... At this level, am a stronger, reasonable and well grounded individual in all ramifications, which my intending husband adores about me... So it depends on individual preferences , of when to get married... If the op, is ready for it...? Then go girl.... But female kids , when I have them... Will definitely graduate before getting ,married...

Best of luck , op

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 24, 2013
At mamalette

After reading the entire 4 pages of your thread I can say that only Salt 1 has the most sensible, reasonable and practical advice. Pay attention to all he has said. At 23 do you even know what a budget is? Or how to draw up one and live within it?

I mean you no offence but there are certains things that will make sense to you only when you start working to earn a living for yourself. You need to obtain or acquire a certain level of financial independence for yourself. Like Salt 1 said, a marriage can go anyway but your certificates with a sound result can help you progress or even pick up the pieces of your life and move on if all else fails.

PLS MARRIAGE IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT IN A WOMAN'S LIFE BUT DOING GOD'S WILL HERE ON EARTH IS. REMEMBER THE GATES OF HEAVEN WON'T BE OPEN TO YOU ON YOUR LAST DAY SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU WERE MARRIED AND HAD CHILDREN OOOH.

LADIES STOP BEING YOUR OWN WORST ENEMIES, LEARN THE BOND OF SISTERHOOD. HAVE EACH OTHERS BACK AND DON'T BE THE FIRST ONES TO MAKE DISTASTEFUL COMMENTS LIKE THE ONE BYVAN MADE SOMEWHERE ON PAGE 1.

11 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by wanney: 7:58pm On Sep 24, 2013
vicksbaba:

check dis out

www.babycenter.com/0_age-and-fertility-getting-pregnant-in-your-20s_1494692.bc

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-112136/The-female-fertility-clock-starts-ticking-27.html

LOL.......medical reference from........ Doctor?...... text book
Primary medical reference i.e an acknowledged scientific medical research.not from a doctors assumption or article
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Freiburger(m): 8:01pm On Sep 24, 2013
sihom:

At 23 do you even know what a budget is? Or how to draw up one and live within it? I mean you no offence but there are certains things that will make sense to you only when you start working to earn a living for yourself. You need to obtain or acquire a certain level of financial independence for yourself.

I'm sorry to dissagree, i started paying my rent at the age of 17, even when i had the opportunity to live in a free accomodation. All that
prepared me for bigger challenges. That was the way i choosed and not the way that choosed me.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by dasparrow: 8:05pm On Sep 24, 2013
@Post

This is how you Nigerian women rush into marriage. Couple of years down the line, you begin to disturb our ears in the Nairaland family section about how the husband cheats on you, beats you, blah-blah-blah. A man who truly loves you will be considerate and wait for you to at least finish school. What's the rush? By the time you hit 50 years, he must have found himself another 21 year old lady with a tight vargina after your own vargina has slacked due to child bearing and years upon years of sex. Focus on your education because if the man were to change in attitude like the weather, you will be stuck in the union because you have no degree yet, probably no job and no income of your own. When he starts giving you slaps, don't come here asking us on what you should do about a situation that you decided to get yourself into.

14 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by acume: 8:07pm On Sep 24, 2013
I will advise that you look into getting married when you get to 300 level 2nd semester by then you have lesser courses and have time for your family, if ASUU strike will be called off, its matter of one more year and you are there except your man insists. Goodluck
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 24, 2013
Freiburger:
I'm sorry to dissagree, i started paying my rent at the age of 17, even when i had the opportunity to live in a free accomodation all that
prepared me for bigger challenges. That was the way i choosed and not the way that choosed me.

Well good for you and clap for yourself but this is not about you at all and how early you attained financial independence it's about the OP.

The issue is whether or not she knows and understands simple matters like this. It's not about every 23 year old either, it's always about the indivdual and mind you as men we are wired differently, we realize we have to hustle and don't sit around waiting for someone else to foot our bills.

I'm all about educating women to know and understand that there is more to life, their lives than marriage. I have nothing against marriage but when people carry on like that's the only thing that makes or breaks a woman I just hate it.

I have female relatives some at her age, others older and most of them are clueless when it comes to planning and executing a budget that would help them live right and live well.

5 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 24, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

This is how you Nigerian women rush into marriage. Couple of years down the line, you begin to disturb our ears in the Nairaland family section about how the husband cheats on you, beats you, blah-blah-blah. A man who truly loves you will be considerate and wait for you to at least finish school. What's the rush? By the time you hit 50 years, he must have found himself another 21 year old lady with a tight vargina after your own vargina has slacked due to child bearing and years upon years of sex. Focus on your education because if the man were to change in attitude like the weather, you will be stuck in the union because you have no degree yet, probably no job and no income of your own. When he starts giving you slaps, don't come here asking us on what you should do about a situation that you decided to get yourself into.

I tire ooh, those married women in the family section just depress me with their numerous stories on what they've gone through or had to face in their marriages.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Freiburger(m): 8:21pm On Sep 24, 2013
sihom:

Well good for you and clap for yourself but this is not about you at all and how early you attained financial independence it's about the OP.

The issue is whether or not she knows and understands simple matters like this. It's not about every 23 year old either, it's always about the indivdual and mind you as men we are wired differently, we realize we have to hustle and don't sit around waiting for someone else to foot our bills.

I'm not also undermining the importannce of forsights and proper planing before going into marriage, what brought my attention to your post was the question you raised, if a 23yrs old person know what a budget is, and my answer is yes, infact a 23years old person should be able to plan for himself and possibly for others. I'm sorry for every other missunderstaning.
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by brummell: 8:21pm On Sep 24, 2013
What is ur heart telling u? If u can cope y not

1 Like

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by lomaxx: 8:22pm On Sep 24, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

This is how you Nigerian women rush into marriage. Couple of years down the line, you begin to disturb our ears in the Nairaland family section about how the husband cheats on you, beats you, blah-blah-blah.

A man that wants to cheat will cheat even with the best woman in the world. The OP knows best.

3 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 24, 2013
My divorced neighbor married at 34 and divorced at 35+,she was very financially independent. Did that stop her hubby from pounding and abusing the hell out of her?hell no ! one would think that at her age she should be wiser before getting into marriage but for what its worth,she wasn't. Qualifications or independence doesn't make one ready for marriage,it won't make it last, neither ll it produce the babies. It just takes two that wants it to work to make it work,marriage is not rocket science undecided

6 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by lomaxx: 8:27pm On Sep 24, 2013
@Topic

Which is why girls should get into University earlier, so that they can push it away and get on with their life. If you get into the University at 15 or 16, by 21 you are done with the whole brouhaha. All these marriage interfering with University because someone couldn't pass JAMB is just not it.

And I'm in support of early marriage, if the circumstance is right. What are you waiting for? What is it you want to learn that you can't learn earlier? There's no proof that maturity gets better with age. People just looking for excuse to waste time.

I don't see myself marrying more than a 25 year old. What is 25 years sef? 22 at most. There are smart 20-year olds with good head on their shoulders. Seek and ye shall find.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 24, 2013
lomaxx:

A man that wants to cheat will cheat even with the best woman in the world. The OP knows best.

Thank you!!
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 24, 2013
Wu Zetian:
Minus maturity, she has her life to live. She hasn't even had time to gain independence, learn how to manage her own. Doesn't she have any career goals?
and u know her so well that u can say dis for a fact? Not evry lady wants to get married at d age of 38.d 0P is obviously concerned about her future in terms of career and family.she only needs tips on hw to cope since she won't be with her husband while she schools
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 24, 2013
Freiburger:
I'm not also undermining the importannce of forsights and proper planing before going into marriage, what brought my attention to your post was the question you raised, if a 23yrs old person know what a budget is, and my answer is yes, infact a 23years old person should be able to plan for himsel fand possibly for others. I'm sorry for every other missunderstaning.

My brother speak for yourself alone ooo, do not assume that everyone at the age of 23 knows what a budget is or even how to plan and execute one. My question was directed to her and her alone

At 23 even I had no idea what a budget was or how to plan and execute one, even though I had heard the word a good number of times. It wasn't until I entered the work force and began to make a living for myself did I know and understand the importance of having a monthly budget.

Do not take things for granted when dealing with people, in other words what you knew at 23 may not be the reality of others at that age or even what you know now at whatever age you are may not be my own reality.

4 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 24, 2013
byvan: My divorced neighbor married at 34 and divorced at 35+,she was very financially independent. Did that stop her hubby from pounding and abusing the hell out of her?hell no ! one would think that at her age she should be wiser before getting into marriage but for what its worth,she wasn't. Qualifications or independence doesn't make one ready for marriage,it won't make it last, neither ll it produce the babies. It just takes two that wants it to work to make it work,marriage is not rocket science undecided

You come across as a woman with a high and mighty attitude because of your marital status.

No one is saying that financially independent women won't have challenges in their marriage. Debrief did but the fact that she still had a means of livelihood during her ordeal was her saving grace or rather a factor working in her favour not against her.

My point is simple, ladies marriage isn't your be all and do all. By all means get married if you so desire but when I hear silly reasons like you might be 36 and still single don't let this fish go I'm sick to kidney, liver and lungs, I'm like really? And to think women like you propagate, promote and market this nonsense is soul crushing.

Being self sufficient and financially capable to help yourselves and others around you, should be your priority in present day Nigera.

7 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by sewuun(m): 8:45pm On Sep 24, 2013
byvan: The major factor you should consider is the type of man you are getting married to,what is his attitude towards education?is he a graduate?How important is education to you? It's most unlikely for a graduate to want a drop out as a wife,thus he ll be more supportive than one who has no regards for education.Do you intend to have babies before or after school?how brilliant are you academically?do you ace your courses effortlessly or are you struggling with them? Please think about these points before I comment further,am quite busy but your topic really caught my interest,i ve been there.......
This writer here post more mature and real day to day things all ladies must look out for unlike the first post Wey some just click like for for no reason.
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Dubemkelly(m): 8:51pm On Sep 24, 2013
Marriage n schooling...It takes a super lady 2 balance the two,very demanding n stressful. Girl don't be sentimental that u gonna loose ds man cos he has been supporting u all these yrs n u think he's ur mr right n if u don't get it started...I advise u talk things out with ur man nd see if u cud trend thru dat part, tell d guy wat u want n if he doesn't see reasons wt u, walk away.
Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by socrateez(m): 8:52pm On Sep 24, 2013
I know a lady who got married in school while studying law. She finished in 2008 after spending 10 years in ABU. She has not attended law school till today. The risk is too high to marry while in school. It would have been ok if you both agree not to make any baby till you finish but that's not in our character in this environment. The husband family may skin you alive!
Think very well and don't compare yourself with those who said they did the same while in school. In any case, the final decision rests with you so its up to you.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 24, 2013
bankiele: From my own experience, i got married in my 500 level and that was the best decision i made
After courting for 6yrs.I was 24 when i got married and we were also in different states , i travelled every weekend and my husband was very supportive.
@op the decision is left for u, mind u i studied medicine and surgery and i graduated with good grades(distinction inclusive)
At least you had written your 3rd and 4th MBBS by then.

OP is in her 2nd year. I'm not talking about the age here. I've seen 21 year olds getting married. My take is, let her finish her schooling.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother / 'Doctors Told My Wife She Can't Conceive A Baby But Look At Us Now'. Photos / When You Are Tired Of Backing Baby (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.