Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,024 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? (1465 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Parents Of Overseas Students Weep In Banks / CBN Bans Use Of Dollars For Overseas Fees, Medical Trips / Free Guide On How To Start Popcorn Buzines, What You Need And How Profitable It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by hobat4cash(m): 12:55pm On Jun 05, 2006
Hello, please i need the forums advice on an issue that i have come across. I would like to sell some locally made goods to western buyers. Stuffs made from local materials like raffia. Goods like shoes, hats etc. i also intend to sell carvings made from wood like masks etc. These stuffs are hand made made locally. i was wondering if there is a market for this and if there is how do i go about it, thanks. please your comments is needed urgently. Thanks.
Re: Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by Seun(m): 3:57pm On Jun 05, 2006
I'm sure it can be profitable, but of course you'll need to choose what to sell based on demand.

I heard that www.alibaba.com is a very important site for exporters. You should probably check it out wink.
Re: Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by my2cents(m): 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2006
With a good marketing strategy (#1 being a well-designed website with paypal/secure credit application features wink), there is a market for anything.

I would recommend you look at creating a Search Engine Optimized website and advertising on various message boards that have to do with your craft. Finally, you need to find out how much UPS et al charge for freight from where u r to various destinations. That way, you can factor that into your costs as "Shipping and Handling".

The global economy is all about websites. It is the only way, in my opinion, that you can reach billions of potential customers without actually seeing such people. So for example, I am in the US yet I am designing websites for people in Nigeria, people I have never and probably will never meet in my lifetime.

I hope this helps.
Re: Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by kazey(m): 8:15pm On Jun 05, 2006
Hehehe should be if you have the right product at the right price smiley
Re: Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by hobat4cash(m): 9:30pm On Jun 06, 2006
thanks for the encouraging replies so far
@my2cents
i understand the importance of a website in marketing but the problem for a nigerian living in nigeria is the problem of payment with paypal. Am wodering if there is way out of this payment problem considering our battered image sad
Re: Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by my2cents(m): 9:51pm On Jun 06, 2006
hot,

The only thing that comes to mind is you hooking up with someone you know overseas. Be it via paypal or credit card, you could then channel the payments through that person's account.

Other than that, I am afraid you are limited to Int'l money order or Cash On Delivery, something some pple may not be willing to do as most including myself would find it an inconvenience.

At least I tried smiley
Re: Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by hobat4cash(m): 6:28pm On Jun 08, 2006
this is really infortunate we in nigeria are limited on the kinds of business we do how sad.
Re: Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by jerrycui: 10:07am On Jun 09, 2006
Hello,nice to meet u ,i have saw ur information ,i come from beijing ,china.
My name is jerry,i worked in a chinese travelling agent and know some people in one chinese international trade company.
if you r interested in the chinese market ,i would like to discuss with u about some details on ur business.
this is my yahoo messenger:jerrycui2008@yahoo.com.cn,u can add me
actually ,right now i am sure that which way do u want to go ur business ,personally or through some trade company?
and i guess ,the freight fee maybe a big fee if u want to do international business
i hope we can have a discussion on it ,take care.
jerry
Re: Selling Locally Made Stuffs Overseas: How Profitable? by hobat4cash(m): 11:08am On Jun 09, 2006
@jerrycui
nice to hear from you i have added you to my yahoo messenger i.e hobat20004@yahoo.com. i would like us to talk i am interested inchina as they are an emerging major economic power now. take care

(1) (Reply)

How To Obtain Loan From Microfinance Banks Without Collateral In 24hrs. / We Have A Cat 966g 2001 Model Payloader For Quick Sale / Refubished Mobile Phones - I Need A Buyer In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.