Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) (16151 Views)

Cockroach Statement: I Was Quoted Out Of Context – Gov Shema / Nigerians React To Gej's Comment (A Nairalander Was Quoted) / 'Boko Haram Is PDP, PDP Is Boko Haram' (Buhari Was Quoted Saying This) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 9:47pm On Sep 24, 2013
Kenya attack: GEJ’s anti-terrorism offer sparks anger

Remarks by President Goodluck Jonathan assuring Kenyan President, Uhuru Kenyatta, and the citizens that the Nigerian Government will help avert a recurrence of terrorist attack has sparked public outrage.

Members of the Al-Shabaab militant group had, on Saturday, laid siege to Westgate Mall, an upscale shopping centre in Nairobi, popular with Kenyan elite and foreigners, killing 68 people, including Kenyatta’s nephew and his fiancée; Ghanaian poet, 78-year-old Kofi Awoonor, and injuring over 150.

A standoff had ensued between the Kenyan security forces and the attackers, who were reported to be heavily armed and holding an unknown number of hostages in the mall.

While commiserating with the Kenyan government, Jonathan said in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, that “the Federal Government will give all possible support and assistance to Kenya in its efforts to contain the scourge of terrorism and avoid a recurrence of yesterday’s (Saturday’s) heinous attack on Nairobi.”

But many Nigerians who caught up with the President’s message online say he “should mind his business” and preoccupy his government with putting an end to the extremism and security challenges posed by Boko Haram in his backyard, before offering to help contain and defeat terrorism abroad.

A cross section of Nigerians who criticised the President quoted the popular saying that “charity begins at home.” They asked Jonathan not to contemplate sending soldiers abroad; with many arguing that it will amount to a misplacement of priority.

A Facebook user, Oludare Olufote, urged the Kenyan government to reject Jonathan’s offer of assistance, saying he was only trying to depict himself as a true African leader.

“Candid advice to Kenya: Combat terrorism with your efforts, combined with other strong nations, not Nigeria. Our President is only trying to make himself a true African leader, which he is. But the question is, what will become the story of a man whose house is in a shambles and looks into putting orderliness in a neighbour’s house?” Olufote argues.

Solomon Idoko describes Jonathan’s statement as an absurdity. “Absurdity or what? Anti-terrorism assistance to Kenya! Jonathan can see the speck in his brother’s eye, but he is unable to notice the log in his own eye. I think we should start praying for the leadership of this nation,” Idoko wrote on Facebook.

But some Nigerians felt that the President might be planning to secretly deploy troops to the East African nation to fight the al-Shabaab militants. They, however, warned him against taking such a decision.

One Joseph Ubiagba says, “The Federal Government must not let Nigerians lose their temper. We have terrorists all over the place in this country and you cannot check them. They are killing and maiming Nigerians almost on a daily basis.

“I hope you people have conscience. People who have conscience won’t talk like that. The day you people remove one kobo to go and fight terrorists in Kenya, the almighty God will visit you people with his anger as has never been seen before.”

On nairaland.com, a respondent with the name Lerteee writes, “The fear of al-Shaabab should be the beginning of wisdom. Uncle Jona, abeg, Boko Haram, Ombatse and Niger Delta boys don do us. Please and please, don’t allow these militants to visit Nigeria; they are deadlier. Why, in the first place, did they attack Kenya? I guess it is for the same reason that Kenya interfered in Somalia’s business. Nigeria has too much trouble already.”

Meanwhile, President Jonathan was also rebuked for allegedly leading a life different from his words. According to some online commentators, the Kenyan President appeared more serious with the fight against terrorism than his Nigerian counterpart.

Another respondent on nairaland.com, Balla Briggs, says, “You see, the situation in Kenya now is that about 68 people have been killed. In one week in Nigeria, we have lost close to 68 people too. Have you seen the Kenyan President voice over our situation? No, because he has his own mess to deal with.

“President Jonathan has not even spoken about the killings in Nigeria in the last week, yet he deems it fit to put his mouth in Kenya’s palaver. This is a joke of a leader. The Kenyan President rightly cancelled his trip to the UN General Assembly because he recognised there was a problem. Yet, President Jonathan who lost over 68 people to Ombatse, Apo and Boko Haram killings has travelled to New York City for the UN meeting.”

source; http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/kenya-attack-gejs-anti-terrorism-offer-sparks-anger/

ballabriggs: You see the situation in Kenya now is that not up to 100 people have been killed. In one week in Nigeria, we have lost close to 200 people.

Have you seen the Kenyan President voice over our situation? No because he has his own mess to deal with.

President Jonadunce has not even spoken about the killings in Nigeria in the last week yet he deems it fit to put his mouth in Kenya's palava. This is a joke of a leader.

The Kenyan President right now has cancelled his trip to the UN general assembly because he recognises there is a problem. Yet President Jonadunce who lost close to 200 of his citizens is on his way with over 600 people to drink Jack Daniels in New York city.

The man is a joke and the best thing you all will do is to get rid of him. He has no qualities of a leader.
https://www.nairaland.com/1449689/fg-assist-kenya-fighting-terrorism/2#18306516

23 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by cashkid18(m): 10:06pm On Sep 24, 2013
are my suppose to comment on dis
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by UyiIredia(m): 10:17pm On Sep 24, 2013
Nice. Now to meet Balla Briggs.
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by taiocol: 10:24pm On Sep 24, 2013
brb if it hit fp
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by braine(m): 10:24pm On Sep 24, 2013
Even though its nice to act Big Brother its not a bad idea to mind ones businness eihter• Jonathan should mind his business•
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 10:25pm On Sep 24, 2013
cashkid18: are my suppose to comment on dis

u just did......its nt a must to comment on everytin u read..or is it because u aint charged by nairaland for comments?

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 10:28pm On Sep 24, 2013
taiocol: brb if it hit fp

hahaha .....u aint talkin till it hits FP.....wats d diff bro?
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by taiocol: 10:34pm On Sep 24, 2013
GreenBobo:

hahaha .....u aint talkin till it hits FP.....wats d diff bro?
the diff is clear
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 10:36pm On Sep 24, 2013
taiocol: the diff is clear

I dont kno it....pls tell me..lols
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by lertee(f): 10:45pm On Sep 24, 2013
Yeah I knew I made sense.. shocked cool

38 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by eagleeye2: 10:55pm On Sep 24, 2013
The mass media is a powerful tool, and the internet has made the world a global village.
A forum like Nairaland is gradually being recognised by the print media in Nigeria. A time will come that even foreign print media and news agencies will be lifting quote after quote from NL.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 10:59pm On Sep 24, 2013
lertee: Yeah I knew I made sense.. shocked cool

lols
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 11:04pm On Sep 24, 2013
eagle,eye:
The mass media is a powerful tool, and the internet has made the world a global village.
A forum like Nairaland is gradually being recognised by the print media in Nigeria. A time will come that even foreign print media and news agencies will be lifting quote after quote from NL.

honestly....u aint far off from d truth....
But there will be lots of pressure on Seun to change the forums name to somtin more 'Global....something more 'Sellable''!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 24, 2013
lertee: Yeah I knew I made sense.. shocked cool
Lol! you really made sense my sister! grin
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by lertee(f): 11:34pm On Sep 24, 2013
berem: Lol! you really made sense my sister! grin
embarassed embarassed grin

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by switdil(f): 11:35pm On Sep 24, 2013
Yes na
So that the GUARDIAN too go come quote ur comment
grin grin

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 24, 2013
lertee:
embarassed embarassed grin
cool cool
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by abdulkayus(m): 11:57pm On Sep 24, 2013
GreenBobo:

But there will be lots of pressure on Seun to change the forums name to somtin more 'Global....something more 'Sellable''!

and how can he do dat? Plsm suggest ideas cos i would like NL to be known in d world like FB, twitter and others.
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by bloggernaija: 12:22am On Sep 25, 2013
Believe me
When I look at PDP From head to toe .
From GEJ ,atiku ,turaki,kwankoso ,orji to the OBJ, akala ,orji
I SEE A BUNCH OF JOKERS.
the same kind of our so called NATIONALIST who brought the present situation upon us

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by Anuoluwap(m): 1:31am On Sep 25, 2013
eagle,eye:
where were you? www.nairaland.com/374335/nairaland-quoted-toronto-star-canada
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by Nobody: 4:04am On Sep 25, 2013
Bella Briggs the Nairaland Activist. GEJ crew on NL have marked u.
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by Temismith(f): 5:10am On Sep 25, 2013
Evidence pls!
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by Temismith(f): 5:11am On Sep 25, 2013
Photoshoped undecided
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 5:28am On Sep 25, 2013
Temismith: Evidence pls!

wat kinda eviidence ar u lookn for? Is d link dat was provided at d bottom of the original post nt good enough? Or is d link broken?
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 5:29am On Sep 25, 2013
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 5:41am On Sep 25, 2013
Temismith: Photoshoped undecided

is photoshop a web url manipulator\processor or a text manipulator\processor or a word manipulator\processor?
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by Nobody: 6:05am On Sep 25, 2013

guy, English dey confuse you badly. "Am I supposed" not "are my".

14 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GreenBobo: 6:25am On Sep 25, 2013
Temismith: Evidence pls!

https://www.nairaland.com/lertee/posts

just b patient,u wiill find your evidence.
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by ilaugh1: 6:48am On Sep 25, 2013
what's the big deal about this?
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by DukeNija(m): 6:59am On Sep 25, 2013

@ cashkid18 Its am I supposed to comment..

Ok. Back to the issue.
If Jonathan wants to support the Kenyan government its perfect by me and I would most certainly do so if I am president.
Goodluck Jonathan has been able to contain and curtail the excesses of a desperate and destructively wicked sect.
I believe as a big brother country, Nigeria should be able to provide military support in terms of soldiers and logistics to fight Al shabaab.
Terrorism anywhere is terrorism everywhere. Who knows, "The roach you failed to kill, might end up in your pot of soup"

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by GeneralJ(m): 7:22am On Sep 25, 2013
and so its not the first time oga sir
Re: A Nairalander Was Quoted In A Punch Article (Kenya's westgate Mall Attack ) by taiocol: 7:27am On Sep 25, 2013
GreenBobo:

why must he change d name

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Human Rights Abuse: Ihejirika Replies Amnesty Internationa / Lauretta Onochie Slams Patience Jonathan: "EFCC Only Attracted To Thieves" / 2018: We Won’t Settle For Anything Less Than Deputy Governor ―ekiti Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.