Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,274 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) (9646 Views)

Analysis Of Afcon Group C: Group Of Death / Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C / England, Usa, Slovenia, Algeria: Group C - Group Of Champions! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by mochafella(m): 12:23am On Jun 12, 2006
@Akolawole

Argentina never really had to work hard to get their goals. It was always seemed like they had an extra gear left in reserve.
I'm surprised Riquelme did not have a permanent shadow during that game. Afterall we saw how Gilberto/Arsenal took care of him. Granted Argentina has more weapons than Villareal, but u don't leave your opponent's playmaker to roam and destroy.

Anyway I wish the African teams luck but at this point, Tunisia may surprisingly be the only redeeming team from Africa.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by spikelord(m): 12:28am On Jun 12, 2006
They didn't do what Nigeria would have done! (I mean cool the game down)[img][/img]
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Akolawole(m): 8:38am On Jun 12, 2006
sade511:

Cote D' Ivoire played like they had no faith in themselves.
They played so lazily.

Note this is the first soccer game I have ever undecided watched so take it easy on me.

Your comment indeed shows that you are watching the game for the first time.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by spikelord(m): 8:46am On Jun 12, 2006
We've seen 2 African countries play, let's watch out for the rest!
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Akolawole(m): 9:26am On Jun 12, 2006
Jackal:

1) I have seen enough Nigeria/Cote D'Ivoire matches to sink "The Titanic".
U cannot compare the 2 teams at all. I don't blame u but our own mis-managed NFA who allowed complacency to eat deep into our football.
Nigeria should be qualifying for the World Cup easily.

2) Eagles would have done better than Cote D'Ivoire against Argentina. Eagles played better than 'em in the last CAN in january. Drogba's controversial goal was the difference. We demolished em in Tunisia 94.

3) Don't even go to the leagues.
Our cream of players don't even play in Africa so forget about the leagues.
All the leagues in Africa are nuthing to write HOME about.

The simple question is how many have you watched?

After you answer me, i will then comment fully.

Here is what Coach Eguavon says after our loss to Ivory Coast:

"We did not play well, this was our worst game at this tournament and we were clearly outplayed in all departments by our opponents.
"This probably had to do with fatigue but our ball movement was slow.

"However, the goal that finally beat us was scored from an offside position. Drogba was at least seven metres offside before he scored but the referee gave the goal."
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Jackal(m): 10:18am On Jun 12, 2006
@ Akola,
I remembered Nigeria demolishing Ivory Coast @ Tunisia 94.
Nigeria bludgeoned 'em 4-1 in lagos @ the world cup qualifiers for USA 94.
Cote D'Ivorie with the help of the referee and *samson siasia lost to 'em 1-2 at Abidjan in the same qualifiers.
* Siasia was the major cause for this loss when he failed to pass the ball to Yekini. can u remember?
Yekini also put paid to their hopes @ Algiers '90 when he scored a header from a corner-kick.

The Super Eagles are the Brazil of Africa. No other African team can compare with the avalanche of talents Nigeria can boast of.
Don't u dare compare Eagles to the Elephants.
U heard?
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by mukina2: 11:02am On Jun 12, 2006
the serbs played well but robben really dominated the match yesterday he was all over the place didnt see mr ruud so much .Robben played like he was the only player in the field cheesy, vidic the serbs tallest player made some impacts when he just came in but all his anxiety died down as the match went on, .
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Priscila(f): 11:22am On Jun 12, 2006
DER SPASS BEGINNT!( means the fun begins in German language)

I watched the best team lose? Debutant Cote was a better side Oh boy! what a Mouth-watering clash.
Drogba led gallant fight by elephants in tough game
Oh my! Walking in the dress room 0-2 deficit?
Shocking, but we played extremely well. It was a Moment for Africa, the guys had the skills but lacked the zeal and hunger to move on and OH those dribbles were superb.
Saviola and Riquelme had a lot of space which was not sealed by Didier Zokora. Hope the Coach saw those lapses. Shaky defence it was.
Ivory Coast playing very good football, Argentines capitalizing on the defence lapses.
So, Argentines are not superior to Cote?
Just names like Riquelme and offsider Crespo to spoil our African party. Bad people together with their Saviola
Keita! Very good player though Kalou wasted us a lot. If only Drogba had come out early to score, we were a better side at Hamburg.
Tizie goalie! Does he suffer from Parkinson’s disease? He almost brought a third goal
Anyway, play Cote play! You rock.
Accidents happen, disasters come in a game of football but whatever the outcome, we are still on the safe side-not yet out as I cant give up now.
Pleeaaaaaaase Holly Holland, hammer those Argentines for me o.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by spikelord(m): 11:28am On Jun 12, 2006
Jackal:

@ Akola,
Cote D'Ivorie with the help of the referee and *samson siasia lost to 'em 1-2 at Abidjan in the same qualifiers.
* Siasia was the major cause for this loss when he failed to pass the ball to Yekini. can u remember?
Yekini also put paid to their hopes @ Algiers '90 when he scored a header from a corner-kick.

The Super Eagles are the Brazil of Africa. No other African team can compare with the avalanche of talents Nigeria can boast of.
U heard?

Thank you oh Jackal! There is no team like Nigeria here in Africa. You can't just compare any country to Nigeria! The kinda game we play, the stars, Individual skills, shot power, and so many things, which country do'you think can boast of their National team here in Africa the way we boast of our own SUPER EAGLES?

Cameroon is going to have a lot of problem with their current team! Most of them are overage and Artur Jorge wouldn't even think of parading young stars like Cerezo.

There is no long talk here, Nigeria is the best team in Africa!
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Priscila(f): 11:32am On Jun 12, 2006
I forbid evryone not to discuss Nigeria or Cameroun here.
Focus on the Africa teams in World cup. You hear Spiky and Jackal!

Holland vs. Serbia and Montenegro (CC)
Robben is a key player. Where was Nistelrooy? Asleep. Robin Van Persie flanking
Kezman and Milosevic plus Bronchorst are just sheet intimidating players. Now with vidic suspended, they just gave up.
Dutchmen, will go far from the match I saw. They really got a roll with confidence which is an enormous boost. That was a Favourite 4-3-3 formation for young flambouyant players.
I didn’t anticipate one goal from that tight chess-like battle and that Wesley Sneijder was not in form.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by mukina2: 11:34am On Jun 12, 2006
yes Prissy the first goal was the one tizie removed from behind thew line just like carrol did some time ago grin the side is good but tizie angry angry in the caf in germany the coach always started arouna kone and drogba but he bought him late,also dindane undecided undecided i dont really know the problem with the african coaches  and their changes undecided

@spikelord Nigeria den and now are 2 differnt nigerias ok? u ad excellent players den,u also av good players now ,so aw come they let angola qualify
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by spikelord(m): 11:43am On Jun 12, 2006
The same question you should have asked the Cameroonians, Senegalese, and the South Africans. Why did they allow CIV, Togo and Ghana to qualify from their groups?

Sorry Priscy, but I must do this.

Nigeria had the closest chance of going to the World Cup next to the first five that qualified! We finished first in that group if you'll ask me, the same point with Angola and more goals. No thanks to the head to head rule FIFA adopted lately!
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by mukina2: 11:52am On Jun 12, 2006
noo you were the one hu said nigeria's the best team in africa.thats why i asked
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Priscila(f): 11:57am On Jun 12, 2006
Muks ! thats why I asked this question
Tizie goalie! Does he suffer from Parkinson’s disease? He almost brought a third goal
Thanks to ref for assuming the one he literally picked after it crossed the white line.

Spiky my dear! You will agree with me that if it was Nigeria we would be counting like 3 goals to nil.
Give credit where due. Cote D I voire made Africa really proud and Didier was outstanding.

Refer to my first analysis post on this same page!
Its like you did not watch the whole game.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by mukina2: 12:06pm On Jun 12, 2006
Yes THE ELEPHANTS MADE US PROUD I KNOW IF IT WAS THEM PLAYIN AGAINST PORTUGAL THEY WUD AV TRASHED THEM,

thank God the ref didint see dat goal shocked
When didier scored i was hopin we wud equalise tho undecided undecided but we scored late
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by hucarson(m): 1:49pm On Jun 12, 2006
I will not allow sheer Africanism to blind me from the truth.
The Argys were simply better than the Ivoiriens in all departments of the game. How can a team lose in such manner and Prisccy said they have done Africa proud.
Talking about African Pride, please refer to Nigeria in USA 94 and France 98 PLUS Senegal in 2002.
Senegal defeated France against all odds and went on to the Q-finals(thatz what i call PRIDE)
A team that lost in that manner does not deserve my credits at all.
As a matter of fact,i will like history to repeat itself in what happened in 98 when the Ivoirien team were taken to a concentration camp on the orders of their president and drilled like war criminals.
It will give me so much delight to see Drogba's butt being thrashed tongue by some hungry soldiers to teach him and others some lessons.

Angola even gave a good account of themselves than the Ivoiriens who were just running around the pitch like a diseased fowl.

The Super Eagles would have done better than Drogba and his group of mediocres.
They literally allowed Riquelme so much space to roam and cause extensive damage to their defence.
Eboue and Kolo Toure were always 2nd favourites throughout the match.
I don't really see the Ivoiriens picking any point in this group of death.
I saw the Serbs and the Dutch team yesterday and i'm sure they r going to kill the Ivoiriens off like a roach.
The Serbs lost yesterday because a member of the "famous four" was suspended. Vidic will be back against the Ivoiriens and i don't see Drogba or any of his team-mates breaching that Serb's defence. They simply locked the doors on the Dutch after Robben's goal.
Can the Ivoiriens defeat the rampaging Holland? The answer is NO.
So tell me, how has this team made u or the entire Africa proud?
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Akolawole(m): 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2006
Priscila:

Give credit where due. Cote D I voire made Africa really proud and Didier was outstanding.

Priscila:

I watched the best team lose? Debutant Cote was a better side Oh boy! what a Mouth-watering clash.
Drogba led gallant fight by elephants in tough game
Oh my! Walking in the dress room 0-2 deficit?
Shocking, but we played extremely well. It was a Moment for Africa, the guys had the skills but lacked the zeal and hunger to move on and OH those dribbles were superb.

Ivory Coast playing very good football, Argentines capitalizing on the defence lapses.
So, Argentines are not superior to Cote?

Dont just bother to respond to members who watch the games with their eyes closed

mukina2:

Yes THE ELEPHANTS MADE US PROUD I KNOW IF IT WAS THEM PLAYIN AGAINST PORTUGAL THEY WUD AV TRASHED THEM,
Word.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by mukina2: 1:55pm On Jun 12, 2006
they held up and didnt concieve more goals they played well mo than any other african side wud av done. they av a good side its only tizie hu's their problem, they played well and if more time wud av been added they wud av equalised
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by hucarson(m): 2:08pm On Jun 12, 2006
@ Mukina,
Can u hear yourself?
"If more time had been added "?
What were they doing for the whole 90 mins? Drogba should have begged the referee to give em 300 more mins to equalise.
The Ivoiriens were just too timid in their approach. They lack the hunger n the cutting edge to contend with Argentina.
Didn't u guys watch Senegal V France at the last world cup?
Senegal played as if their life depended on the game and it paid off.
They rendered Henry + Trezeguet + Cisse useless for 90 mins.
Let it be known that the 3 french strikers mentioned above won the golden boots each in their respective leagues in that season and their combination failed to find the net against Senegal.
Cote D'Ivoire my prat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Akolawole(m): 2:12pm On Jun 12, 2006
hucarson:

A team that lost in that manner does not deserve my credits at all.

Angola even gave a good account of themselves than the Ivoiriens who were just running around the pitch like a diseased fowl.

The Super Eagles would have done better than Drogba and his group of mediocres.

I don't really see the Ivoiriens picking any point in this group of death.

NO I KNOW WHY IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO RESPOND TO FEW OF YOUR POSTS.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Akolawole(m): 2:20pm On Jun 12, 2006
@Jackal

Jackal:

@ Akola,

U heard?

Because this is OFF_TOPIC, i will reserve this for a later date.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Grizzly(m): 2:51pm On Jun 12, 2006
Argentina vs Ivory-Coast, well the Ivorians gave the Argentines a run for the max points. They put up a good fight, although they lost. They look good.

On the other hand, I think Robben did a swell job, *but i must say he is a selfish Phuck*, he almost forgot he wasnt the only one playing, tried to take more shots than neccesary,, I felt for Ruud, he must have been swearing in his heart, angry cool Well anything for 3 points, cool
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Priscila(f): 3:05pm On Jun 12, 2006
Hucarson!
darn it! You are a naturalised Americana so don't dare a real black like me.

Dont forget that we Africans are learning soccer lessons the hard way.
Talk of political instabilities,wars and all that.
You wont change that fact which every one in Germany is appreciating that Africa has good soccer despite all odds

let me remind you this Huc!

Cote d’Ivoire played well and could have got something from the game if they were more clinical in front of goal. Argentina were clinical in their finishing and that was the difference in the end.
But I believe this Ivorian team have the qualities to get out of the Group of Death and could hold their heads up high with this performance. They kept on asking Argentina the questions and will be a handful for the other teams in their group.

I am proud to be blogging for this Cote d’Ivoire team

NOTE:
I hope you are buying that 30,000sq foot mansion on Corona del Mar cliff before I and Jackal acquire a Johnny Carson home at a lesser price.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by hucarson(m): 4:23pm On Jun 12, 2006
@ Grizzly,
I felt i was the only that noticed Arjen Robben's selfishness.
He wldn't pass the ball to his other strike partners and he made Van Persie and Ruud look like bums on the pitch.
The Chelsea dude forgot he wasn't the only striker and he was taking shots at goal instead of passing the ball to his partners.
Marco Van Basten would have noticed this and i hope he cautions him because they got some ugly games ahead of em.
Argentina and Ivory Coast will be tough but i expect Holland to bludgeon Ivory Coast who came to Germany to disgrace Africa.
Holland and Argentina will prolly cancel each other out and settle for a draw.

@ Prisccy,
I will reply your last comment after the group stages are over.
If u think Drogba and mates did well then i am gon' reserve ma comments.
Its obvious u didnt see the last world cup in Korea/Japan and the previous in France 98 because u would have knwn the difference between the countries that represented Africa in the past and the wannabes that r representing now.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Grizzly(m): 4:33pm On Jun 12, 2006
YEah right huc, Van basten has to caution him,, definitely has
I knew before the match that robben (individuality 98% - team 2%), will attempt to carry over his Chelsea habit of not passing the ball to the world cup, and he has.
It was obvious, even to robben, the he wasnt passing,
Whenever robben had the ball, and refuses to pass, i immediately look to Ruud, and from his facials, found he wasnt happy,
there were so many good runs ruud made, which if he was given the ball would sure have headed home,
If Van Basten prefers results to team work, then i guess robben w'ld have a field day,
so much for so little,   undecided  cool
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by hucarson(m): 4:40pm On Jun 12, 2006
Robben wont enjoy such luxury against an experienced team.
Gabriel Heinze and Roberto Ayala aint push-overs as we saw against the Ivoiriens.
Heinze nearly killed Drogba at a point with ferocious tackles and kicks and Ayala was also a solid-rock on the right hand side of the defence.

Marco Van Basten will caution Robben to get more involved as a team player than an individual bunch of skills.
I was also expecting Cristiano Ronaldo to do the same but i think he has improved his own game a bit. No more annoying step-overs and he crosses the ball when necessary.
This group is the main catch and i can't wait to see the Argy's taking their pound of flesh back from the Dutch after that historic Q/final match at France 98 where Ortega's red-card won the match for Holland.
It will def'ly be a mouth-watering tie.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by mukina2: 4:47pm On Jun 12, 2006
hucarson:

@ Mukina,
Can u hear yourself?
"If more time had been added "?
What were they doing for the whole 90 mins? Drogba should have begged the referee to give em 300 more mins to equalise.
The Ivoiriens were just too timid in their approach. They lack the hunger n the cutting edge to contend with Argentina.
Didn't u guys watch Senegal V France at the last world cup?
Senegal played as if their life depended on the game and it paid off.
They rendered Henry + Trezeguet + Cisse useless for 90 mins.
Let it be known that the 3 french strikers mentioned above won the golden boots each in their respective leagues in that season and their combination failed to find the net against Senegal.
Cote D'Ivoire my prat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hucarson please be reminded that argentina is not a first time world cup team like the ivorians,they ad won the wc b4 . the elephants really played well.i know u support argentina thats why u see things only dere way, its not a matter of being an african its a matter of seein wat really happened.they didnt dissapoint no one
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Akolawole(m): 12:35am On Jun 13, 2006
@Huca and his friend

This is what Okocha has to say on Ivorians match : http://odili.net/news/source/2006/jun/12/75.html
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by hucarson(m): 9:53am On Jun 13, 2006
@ Akola,
I watched the programme live on ITV1 with Okocha donning a suit and an afro hair-style. What do u expect an African player to say?
U need to see what Marcel Desailly said last night when Ghana lost to Italy. He supported Ghana all the way and he was so sad he couldn't even hide his disappointment in the African side.

I dont really see the Ivoiriens picking any point in this group. I remembered Okocha saying the Ivoiriens are very unlucky to be in that group. I can assure u Brazil cannot run away with 9 points had they been in Group C.
Holland will do more damage to the Africans and the Serbs won't allow any goal past their defence so the best the African side can get is a goalless draw.

Why y'all guys think the Ivoiriens are good still beats me. How can u be so optimistic about a losing team?
Can u compare the Senegalese dominance at the last world cup to the Ivoiriens of this tournament?
The Ivoiriens lack self-belief and losing ur 1st match as a debutant will do more damage than good to any African side.
An experienced Nigerian team never recovered after losing to Argentina in the last world cup, let alone Ivory Coast(a debutant)
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by Akolawole(m): 10:55am On Jun 13, 2006
@Huccarson

hucarson:

Why y'all guys think the Ivoiriens are good still beats me. How can u be so optimistic about a losing team?

An experienced Nigerian team never recovered after losing to Argentina in the last world cup, let alone Ivory Coast(a debutant)

We all say they play well because we have an open mind while watching. You are in those group of Nigerians that predicted complete masacre of african flagbearers.

What experience Nigeria have when they play Argies?
Is it not inexperience that cost us that Argies goal via free-kick?
Is it not inexperience that cost us the quarter-final ticket against Italy?

I am a Nigerian and i can bet it you are not more Nigerian & Patriotic than me but i must be objective. The last time Super Eagles play Carpet football like the Ivorians was in Senegal '92. PERIOD!
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by hucarson(m): 11:53am On Jun 13, 2006
@ Akola,
Haa,Haa
I still saw some crisp football in the Nigerian team @ Nigeria/Ghana 2000.
In fact, i believe that was the best Super Eagles team ever assembled.
U cannot compare that team to this present Cote D'Ivoire team that are too timid to face a big side.

Back to your questions.

Nigeria played with experience against Argentina. I can remember Siasia drew the first blood and then Maradona(the genius) started his antics,dives and trickeries. Canniggia's goal shouldn't have been allowed to stand but the referee was always against us. Nigeria was better technically but Maradona's trickery got Argentina the victory.

The match against Italy was a classic. Although, i quite agree with u that inexperience played some minor parts but Nigeria lost that game majorly because of Amokachi's and Amuneke's injuries. The Italians were very clever to discover that the duo were the engine room of the Nigerian team.
Nigerian fans didn't notice the effects of their absence on the pitch because Nigeria was leading 1-0 plus JayJay was having a field day and all seems to be good.
The effects dawned on us when Baggio equalised and we realised we couldn't look up to anyone to score for us.
Yekini was all alone as there was no support from his team-mates. Eguavoen got jittery and he got the Azzurris a penalty that gave the Italians the day.
It was a case of grab-n-smash daylight robbery.

Eagles team at USA 94 were talented and skillful and they had eyes for goal compared to this buncha Elephants.
At least, our own inexperience took Nigeria to the top in a group where u have Argentina and Bulgaria. I will stop complaining if the Ivoiriens can do the same with their inexperience. Let 'em top their group and make it to the round of 16.
Re: Germany 2006: Group C( Group of Death) by GUNNER(f): 1:02pm On Jun 13, 2006
It seems some one in that holland team is not afraid to say the truth,ouch tongue

Arjen was indeed selfish ,and thats been duly noted by Van Persie, who incidentally created that goal he scored

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=394556&CPID=4&clid=366&lid=2&title=Van+Persie+upset+with+Robben

Robben must understand that football is a mixture of individual skill and team work shocked

He should work on that aspect of his game undecided

I hope the Oranje boys go far in this tournament wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If You Have Lost So Much Money In Betting Pick My Games. / Congo Vs DR Congo: AFCON 2015 (2 - 3) On 31st January 2015 / Super Falcons Return To Nigeria On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.