Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,379 members, 7,822,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) (13332 Views)

How Effective Are Lagos Laws To Lagosians(photo) / Emergency Numbers Of Security Agencies In Nigeria / Lassa Fever Kills 40, As Fg Releases Emergency Numbers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by autofreak2020(m): 12:43pm On Sep 25, 2013
B_B013: How effective can it be wen u re being charged more than u make a normal call. . Uneffective I say..
For your information 767 is toll free, it has been tried on air by several FM stations including Ray-power.
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Switup: 12:49pm On Sep 25, 2013
Now I know most nl'ders are pathetic...! S/one just said how good emergency numbers in Nigeria are and virtually 80per cent of the posts here are criticisin....! So dumb

If u heard sth like 'armed robbers killed 10 and the emergency didn't show up' you'll have such oodles of oomph to rant gibberish... But then it isn't and many are hatin...! Na wah o

1 Like

Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by ocelot2006(m): 12:54pm On Sep 25, 2013
Impressive.
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by MrAboki: 1:00pm On Sep 25, 2013
Swit up: Now I know most nl'ders are pathetic...! S/one just said how good emergency numbers in Nigeria are and virtually 80per cent of the posts here are criticisin....! So dumb

If u heard sth like 'armed robbers killed 10 and the emergency didn't show up' you'll have such oodles of oomph to rant gibberish... But then it isn't and many are hatin...! Na wah o

You madam critic, what did you just do?

You didnt even address the thread in anyway at all.. Of all the comments on the thread so far, yours is the least helpful..

And just so you know, the thread title is asking Nigerians (Nairalanders) to critic the efficiency of our shortcode and emergency number services in Nigeria which is what virtually everyone except you have done so far..

Next time you choose to tow the critics route, be sure to properly understand that which you have chosen to critic..

The gods are wise..
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Switup: 1:11pm On Sep 25, 2013
^^^EvÉn before I make a snapp of the finger..., s/one's has already quote me... And fyi..., like I said Mr..., 80per cent were critisin.., makin negative statments and all... The nigerian team is not as bad as it's been painted... True it's bad but I said not as bad... So when sth good is said..., showin appreciations isn't bad at all.. So With all due respect Mr.Aboki stop hatin...

And I didn't critize nobody..., mind u
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by naptu2: 1:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
mikelreal: But why cant we ve one unified number for the whole states in the country?? Like in U.S na 911 dem dae call for anytn, be it armed robbers, fire, or ur cat hang for fence anywhere in u.s.

We used to have a single national three digit emergency number back when Nitel was the only service provider (the number was 199).

The system became disorganised when private operators were given licenses and Nitel eventually collapsed. Each service provider and state had its own emergency number. The NCC is trying to reintroduce a single national three digit emergency number.

1 Like

Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by importexpert(m): 2:19pm On Sep 25, 2013
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Okijajuju1(m): 2:31pm On Sep 25, 2013
Swit up: ^^^EvÉn before I make a snapp of the finger..., s/one's has already quote me... And fyi..., like I said Mr..., 80per cent were critisin.., makin negative statments and all... The nigerian team is not as bad as it's been painted... True it's bad but I said not as bad... So when sth good is said..., showin appreciations isn't bad at all.. So With all due respect Mr.Aboki stop hatin...

And I didn't critize nobody..., mind u

[b]'80% of Nairalander are critisizing... So dumb'.. Thats your comment. If that isnt criticizing 80% of the people who commented on this thread, then I needs a refund on my school fees...

The thread asked Nairalanders to evaluate a system and thats what people have been doing thus far.

'True its bad'.. Thats a criticism. If the Emergency Number system is good by your standard, its not good by other peoples standard.
You call having multiple 'Cellphone numbers' for emergency good. Well, who am I to go against your opinion. I an many others say its bad. Infact, extremely poor. The idea of an emergency number is for people to be able to remember it (thats why other people use shortcodes like; 911, 999, 112, e.t.c) and for it to be Tollfree (Meaning you dont pay when you call and can access these numbers from a phone that does not even have a sim card in it).. THATS WHAT EMERGENCY NUMBER SHOULD BE.. Not these long 080964274512 type numbers that you cant cram. If your phone gets lost in a flooded area, you cant reach NEMA except you have all those numbers stored in your head.

Even businesses abroad now use easy to remember numbers.. E.g POLICE would have something like 0803-NIGERIAN-POLICE or something like that. Not just random numbers.

The question the OP asked was for people to critic the Emergency Number system currently in place, and I like many others feel its not adequate and very poor indeed.

No hating here... Just stating facts.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 25, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]Hahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Funny!

HOW EFFECTIVE IS OUR COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM IN NIGERIA .. That should be the question...

Shouldnt we have just 1 shortcode number like; 999|112|666 or something.. Then when you call these shortcode, you get in touch with an operator who would enquire about your emergency and then channel you to the right agency..

Now imagine that you are in a distress situation; You just got robbed|stabbed|or something and all your phones have been stolen|lost|or drowned in the flood and you happen to meet somebody with a Nokia 3310.. Then you dail all those long numbers only to hear;

I'm Sorry, you have insufficient credit to make this call.. Please Load an all-in-one card. grin

Doesnt that show you how senseless these old farts in government truly are?!

So I am expected to store all these long numbers on my phone. Some of these Agencies even have as much as 5 numbers.. Some phones dont have provision to store 5 numbers against 1 contact sef.

Then I can imagine that these phones are mobile phones held by one individual somewhere, who might probably not have light to charge it, or may have used up the credit on the phone (afterall na Government line) and cannot call his Oga to report your emergency.. So your call will end with Yinka in a peppersoup joint near his house.. Meanwhile, you are dying o! grin

Cellphones for Emergency service personnels is a stupid idea only Nigerian Politicians can think up

Shouldnt these be Radios|walkie-talkies instead of Cellphones?!

Bros: Abeg you sabi FAAN or NAMA number?! I want to report an emergency.. I just saw another small boy entering the Tyre bay of Chachangi plane in Kano.. [/b]
[/b]
u wan kill me with laughter for here o

1 Like

Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Femmyfamous4u(m): 3:43pm On Sep 25, 2013
Seriously, I was amazed when a car somersaulted last week along lekki expressway and a guy dialled 112 and in less than 3 mins men of RRS appeared. I think emergency numbers only work in Lagos because I've tried in in few other states but the response had always been that it is unavailable.
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by ViKtor1094(m): 3:53pm On Sep 25, 2013
I don't know about other states but here in Ibadan, just call the operation Burst number for any emergency reason & they will respond within 5minutes & even get the the right emergency teams to the location. . . . . .just remember to tell em your LOCATION!!!
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
This is what I call Progress! @OP, I get some distress numbers of Nasarawa State on my NYSC handbook but can't find it now sir.

BTW, Na poverty dey make some people comment rubbish (too much garri intake sotey e block dia sense of reasoning only to open sense of criticism, seeing everything about GEJ bad).
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by zynzyn(m): 5:27pm On Sep 25, 2013
Why do i suspect this applies only to Lagos? undecided
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by upuphim(m): 5:36pm On Sep 25, 2013
It was MTN medical service that proved genuine. Two years ago, on my way to work (IV), I saw a man lying in pool of blood and observed him move his hands around Fadeyi. I called the number (which I no longer on my set having lost the phone). They called me back twice before I got to CMS to ascertain the actual point. I think it works and nobody should overlook the number. THERE IS NO HARM IN TRIAL.
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Hopez456(m): 5:56pm On Sep 25, 2013
The toll free 767 shortcode works, some armed robbers stormed our neighbour house to steal his new Jeep, the car anti theft alarm was on the alarm woke everybody on the street, the man was being tortured to give them access to the car. I called lagos 767, a lady picked it and told me she will inform the police, not long the police came with their loud siren, the bandits ran away without the jeep and their car.
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Dannylux: 6:23pm On Sep 25, 2013
I have always known 112, even 911 works in Naija undecided
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by delors(m): 12:19am On Sep 26, 2013
Phone-versation 767:
12:35AM

Caller: Hello! Hello! (panting)
767: Good afternoon (Since they don't work in the midnights).
Caller: My house is under attack! Please help!
767: If you want to be served in English, press 1, Yoruba press 2, Igbo press 3, Hausa press 4, French press 5
Caller presses 1
767: If this is your first time, press 1, Second time press 2, regular caller press 3
Caller presses 1 (Meanwhile armed robbers are working on the door)
767: If you want to report a crime press 1, logde a complaint press 2, enquire about service press 3, to know about our promos press 4
Caller presses 1.
767: If it is an emergency crime press 1, casual crime press 2, habitual crime press 3, for more explanation press 4
Caller presses 1. (Meanwhile, robbers already dismantled door and in)
767: If you are presently being attacked, press 1, to be attacked at a later date press 2, you feel insecured press 3
Caller presses 1. (meanwhile robbers already broke into the living room)
767: How many attackers? Press 1 for 1, 2 for 2, 3 for 3, 4 for 4 and above.
Caller presses 4.
Thank you for calling this emergency number. Will will now connect you to an agent. (All our agents are currently busy; please stay on the line.)
Caller faints!
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by theresechizoba(f): 12:43am On Sep 26, 2013
Please what are the emergency numbers for Rivers state? Does 112 work for all states?
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Nobody: 6:14am On Sep 26, 2013
therese chizoba: Please what are the emergency numbers for Rivers state? Does 112 work for all states?
therese chizoba: Please what are the emergency numbers for Rivers state? Does 112 work for all states?
i tink 911 works in rivers wit an MTN sim...
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by ifyalways(f): 6:18am On Sep 26, 2013
112 works perfectly in Lagos. Have dialled it thrice,all accident scenes and they got to the scene within five minutes. Don't know 'bout other states
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Ogadtop(m): 6:52am On Sep 26, 2013
mikelreal: lol how can they respond on time n come late??
you can respond promptly to a report but resolve it late.response time is different from resolution time.no harm meant.we are all learning.

1 Like

Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by Sarieskennomie: 6:07pm On Sep 26, 2013
The lagos state emergency helpline 767 and 112 operates 24/7, u can give its a trial and call mid night , they will surely respond, im aware its a toll free line, so don't hesitate to call the lines whenever u have a life threatening emergency.
Re: How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) by BB013(m): 9:39am On Oct 31, 2013
Promhize:

Read what u typed again, seriouly does it make sense to you? If there are armed robbers in ur neighbourhood don't call because they charge more, ode

Broda ode u can school me on how to read nd write.. ITK! Wots my own if armed robbers re in my neighbour hood u ve got something they want thats y they came visiting..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ita Enang: Sue Your Employer If They Refuse To Pay The New Minimum Wage (video) / Buhari: NIN-SIM Linkage Will Help Us Identify Crooks / $4 Million Bribe: SNM Accuses Obiano, Calls For Yakubu Mamoud's Sack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.