Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives (34516 Views)

See A Photo Of What The World's First Ambulance Looked Like? / Ambulance On An Emergency Runs Out Of Fuel (see Photo) / Lagos State Ambulance Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by mchuxx(m): 4:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
NEVER DRINK WATER except u are prepared to die
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by Eneze1(f): 4:52pm On Sep 30, 2013
meche adams: I have been a victim if you drink water you will die immediately.....................

but u are still alive undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by mariong(m): 4:59pm On Sep 30, 2013
Ziggyzito: if you're shot in the head...the first aid will simply be; a coffin and 6ft grin
You have not seen/heared people survive shot on the head?
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by mariong(m): 5:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
Ziggyzito: if you're shot in the head...the first aid will simply be; a coffin and 6ft grin
You have not seen/heared people survive shot in the head?
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
pls this thread should be closed and the OP should be strictly warned. He just passed out a very deadly and wrong info to the public. if you should drink water aftet being shot, you just killed yourself
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by UchihaItachi(m): 5:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
meche adams: I have been a victim if you drink water you will die immediately.....................
ghost alert!!! shocked

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by emiye(m): 5:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
DONT DRINK WATER OOOO !!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.

OP, Please stop passing wrong info, once you start losing blood , there is a great thirst for water, but NEVER drink it.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by MrMac10(m): 5:09pm On Sep 30, 2013
Thanks for the Info God Bless yu
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by hunter21(m): 5:14pm On Sep 30, 2013
Satguru: One day I was watching a bullet-wounded criminal in a Police Station. After confession, he was given water and he gave up immediately.

THE AUTHOR OF THE ABOVE WRITE-UP IS NAIVE.
NEVER DRINK WATER WHILE SUSTAINING BULLET WOUND.
You wey no naive, why you no tell us since.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by Orikinla(m): 5:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
kingthreat: Please don't drink water if shot on the belly. That's like finishing the job of the shooters..

THANK YOU FOR THIS CORRECTION.
The poster seems not be an expert in such emergencies.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by stpat1(m): 5:27pm On Sep 30, 2013
mega jay: [img]http://1.bp..com/-V31CjIhQvOk/UkLPkHbUhCI/AAAAAAAAAjM/UG41sRNX_TU/s1600/images_871467519753.jpeg[/img]

Thank you and remain blessed
http://cliniconomy..com/2013/09/how-to-survive-bullet-wound-until.html?m=0

I love your blog cos it's loaded with helpful information, but the problem I had with it is that I had to strain my eyes to read the content. With this, I just could not afford to stay on the site for long. Sites like these that require one to read through need to be plain and not exert strain to the eyes.

keep it up.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by SuperDan1: 5:27pm On Sep 30, 2013
hunter2,1:

hunter2,1:

Him don tell you now
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by SWG1: 5:31pm On Sep 30, 2013
i guess ure typing from the underworld now.... victim lwkmd
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by tomzman: 5:48pm On Sep 30, 2013
I've added to my knowledge today! But where is the Op? Let him come and clarify the drinking water aspect.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by bighead1(m): 6:09pm On Sep 30, 2013
make i go look for boko trouble.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by Aromas: 6:11pm On Sep 30, 2013
Unexpected bullet never catch you dat's why u get chance dey post dis kind thing.
If straight bullet hit you 4 head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6ft direct unless you receive the Grace of God.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by aboyaji(m): 6:12pm On Sep 30, 2013
oke_chukwu: DRINK A LOT OF WATER:

Water will help replenish your intravascular fluid lost during bleeding.

i don't agree with drinking of water. Since the body is too opened, and blood rushes out profusely, taking in cold substance would reduce the chances of survival, that is decreasing the temperature of the body and etc accompanied by it
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by chuksme(m): 6:13pm On Sep 30, 2013
I disagree with the writer on ([b] DRINK A LOT OF WATER:

Water will help replenish your intravascular fluid lost during bleeding.) whenever any person sustains a bullet wound, never try to give such person water.

Water is number one enemy to a bullet wounded person, immediately you give the person water, that is the end of his life. So never give a bullet wounded person water to drink no matter how thirsty the person is.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by Dlee1(m): 6:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
One of the grand Ma in the village once told us that during the civil war that two brothers was shot and they were crying out for drinking water and when they were served with drinking water, they gave up a ghost without wasting time. Giving drinking water to a person that have been shot with bullet is deadly.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by femliany(m): 6:52pm On Sep 30, 2013
Drinking water at that point, will help in bringing an end to the victim's life
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by emiye(m): 6:52pm On Sep 30, 2013
D.lee:
One of the grand Ma in the village once told us that during the civil war that two brothers was shot and they were crying out for drinking water and when they were served with drinking water, they gave up a ghost without wasting time. Giving drinking water to a person that have been shot with bullet is deadly.

It is not only when losing blood from bullet wound, one must not drink water.

Any severe loss of blood from whatever form of accident will trigger thirst of water, but water must not be taken
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by Joshrob(m): 6:59pm On Sep 30, 2013
Dygeasy: OP, All These Bullets Wey Dey Your Post Follow Join? grin
I dey tell u broda. I think say na only me d bullet touch o
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by lastpage: 7:27pm On Sep 30, 2013
3ace: Simple, it's because it is liquid. grin just kidding, I get you.
I know you were just joking.

Actually, the blood is under pressure (the heart is like a pressure pump) as it needs that pressure to force the blood round the whole body, through the arteries.

As an analogy, if you puncture a tyre using a small nail, the air just rushes out as the puncture serves as a "pressure-release" vent. wink

I wish l can still get the picture l took, the day l nearly killed myself!
I was doing DIY trying to replace the bad Washing Machine with another l just bought. (No be say l dey do Ijebu o, l just like hands-on! grin )
Anyway, the jagged edge of the Tiles l broke on the wall., cut the veins behind my hand, just between my fingers and my wrist (those veins that go to the fingers).
I was the only one at home and l was shocked at the way my blood wash just shooting out like fountain!
My initial thinking was to "not waste my blood" so l put the wound into my mouth, sucking the blood! grin grin
Before l could cough, my whole mouth was full of blood. Then l decided it was too much to swallow so l got a bowl to collect more blood.

The damn blood was still gushing and small bowl was almost full ...then it hit me that l was actually dying quietly, bit by bit!.

I guess "survival mode" just kicked-in there and then.
I located the exact point of the gash. Boy, was it was very ugly to look at?, l pressed a cloth to it but the cloth was soon soaked in blood and dripping!

Fear come begin dance Azonto in my head.
I imagined l would slump and die in the hallway there and one of my household members will come back in the evening and shout: Daddy where are you? (I know who that would be anyway)....and would then shout:Help! help.. after giving me a few kicks to the back thinking l was just being my usual clown and playing "dead"!)

I was convinced that "life and death is premised on my stopping that blood flowing".
p of
I got this wide Cellotape at home (about two inches wide) and wrapped it around the palm, covering the gash. (impermeable as it were)
I then used my left thumb to savagely press on the top of the vein, through the wrap of Cellotape (just a centimeter above the wound, as l could see the vein clearly).
I pressed so hard the hand went numb and dead after a few minutes!
The blood subsided as it just could not find any way out anymore.

I held unto it and drove myself to the hospital (Thank god car was 'auto-gear' and l could do everything with one hand and one leg while still using it to press on the wound. I did not want to cause a commotion with neighbours so everything was done quietly).

When l got to the hospital, they took almost one hour to attend to me. (I was just smiling to myself and thinking: Thank god you did not put your faith in these ones, you will be dead and just a lump of flesh on that slab, by now!)

Okay, one very young Doctor was willing to help me attend to the wound but the Senior Nurse was just glaring at him and the Doctor confided that it was not their job to attend to such wounds and that the Nurse whose duty it was, has closed and a new one has not taken her place! Said he will be reported if he tried to help, as much as he would loved to.
I am like who gives a phuck whose job it is, l just want to be attended to, before l die!

Finally, one Nurse came and took a look at the wound, after asking me to remove all my "DIY bandages"!
She said, there is NO BLOOD FLOWING so this does not qualify as an emergency!

I told her l was lucky the blood stopped and that it is over an hour the incident happened but l want it checked out since l may have cut the vein and the hand could end up useless. She just ignored me and walked away.
Well, it so happens that this "Government Hospital" was the closest to my house, about 8-10 minutes drive.

I took one good look at my injury and decided that if l was till alive by now and over the last one hour, these Eediots wont make any difference.
I tore-up the registration Card (which l paid for), and drove back home.

I called a baby Doctor of mine to come over after explaining that l want to buy some antibiotics and need him to write a prescription for me.

I took pictures of my own "Bowl of Blood" and kept it as a souvenir! grin grin

So, Pressure on such wound, as told by the Poster, could me a difference between life and death.
Blood means life, keep it inside and you could keep life inside.
Internal bleeding is another story anyway.

6 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by olayemioshiyemi: 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
To the best of my knowledge I think its not advisable to give gun Casualty water to drink cus I could remenber during my under graduate days I was Unfortunate to sustain a gun shot as a result of protestiotion .I wasn't allowed to be given water in hospital.what I did immidiately after the gun shot was to pull off my top and tie it to the to leg as I normally watch in movies which actualy helped me to survive .thank God am a living testimony.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 30, 2013
olayemioshiyemi: To the best of my knowledge I think its not advisable to give gun Casualty water to drink cus I could remenber during my under graduate days I was Unfortunate to sustain a gun shot as a result of protestiotion .I wasn't allowed to be given water in hospital.what I did immidiately after the gun shot was to pull off my top and tie it to the to leg as I normally watch in movies which actualy helped me to survive .thank God am a living testimony.
You were only on bra shockedshocked

Thank God for your life shaa smiley
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by xamiel: 7:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
Will u remember all that when u get shot?
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by prof800(m): 7:50pm On Sep 30, 2013
OP, Thanks for sharing.
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by banky222: 7:59pm On Sep 30, 2013
lastpage:

Actually, the blood is under pressure (the heart is like a pressure pump) as it needs that pressure to force the blood round the whole body, through the arteries.

As an analogy, if you puncture a tyre using a small nail, the air just rushes out as the puncture serves as a "pressure-release" vent. wink

I was doing DIY trying to replace the bad Washing Machine with another l just bought. (No be say l dey do Ijebu o, l just like hands-on! grin )
Anyway, the jagged edge of the Tiles l broke on the wall., cut the veins behind my hand, just between my fingers and my wrist (those veins that go to the fingers).
I was the only one at home and l was shocked at the way my blood wash just shooting out like fountain!
My initial thinking was to "not waste my blood" so l put the wound into my mouth, sucking the blood! grin grin
Before l could cough, my whole mouth was full of blood. Then l decided it was too much to swallow so l got a bowl to collect more blood.

The damn blood was still gushing and small bowl was almost full ...then it hit me that l was actually dying quietly, bit by bit!.

I located the exact point of the gash. Boy, was it was very ugly to look at?, l pressed a cloth to it but the cloth was soon soaked in blood and dripping!

I imagined l would slump and die in the hallway there and one of my household members will come back in the evening and shout: Daddy where are you? (I know who that would be anyway)....and would then shout:Help! help.. after giving me a few kicks to the back thinking l was just being my usual clown and playing "dead"!)

I was convinced that "life and death is premised on my stopping that blood flowing".
p of
I got this wide Cellotape at home (about two inches wide) and wrapped it around the palm, covering the gash. (impermeable as it were)
I then used my left thumb to savagely press on the top of the vein, through the wrap of Cellotape (just a centimeter above the wound, as l could see the vein clearly).

I held unto it and drove myself to the hospital (Thank god car was 'auto-gear' and l could do everything with one hand and one leg while still using it to press on the wound. I did not want to cause a commotion with neighbours so everything was done quietly).

When l got to the hospital, they took almost one hour to attend to me. (I was just smiling to myself and thinking: Thank god you did not put your faith in these ones, you will be dead and just a lump of flesh on that slab, by now!)

Okay, one very young Doctor was willing to help me attend to the wound but the Senior Nurse was just glaring at him and the Doctor confided that it was not their job to attend to such wounds and that the Nurse whose duty it was, has closed and a new one has not taken her place! Said he will be reported if he tried to help, as much as he would loved to.
I am like who gives a phuck whose job it is, l just want to be attended to, before l die!

Finally, one Nurse came and took a look at the wound, after asking me to remove all my "DIY bandages"!

I told her l was lucky the blood stopped and that it is over an hour the incident happened but l want it checked out since l may have cut the vein and the hand could end up useless. She just ignored me and walked away.
Well, it so happens that this "Government Hospital" was the closest to my house, about 8-10 minutes drive.

I took one good look at my injury and decided that if l was till alive by now and over the last one hour, these Eediots wont make any difference.

I called a baby Doctor of mine to come over after explaining that l want to buy some antibiotics and need him to write a prescription for me.

So, Pressure on such wound, as told by the Poster, could me a difference between life and death.
yesSsssss I watched it in a movie
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by banky222: 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
lastpage:

p of

yesSsssss I say it in a movie
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by yosmen: 8:43pm On Sep 30, 2013
This post should be removed from front page.....the information is wrong.

people with bullet wounds should avoid drinking water.Once a bullet enters the next thing is increased thirst. And if u drink water good bye
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by akwunmi(m): 8:59pm On Sep 30, 2013
mega jay: [img]http://1.bp..com/-V31CjIhQvOk/UkLPkHbUhCI/AAAAAAAAAjM/UG41sRNX_TU/s1600/images_871467519753.jpeg[/img]
This idea popped into my head few days ago after i learnt about the terrorist attack at a certain mall in Kenya(Rip to the dead)

The world is evolving into a state of: "if they are not me, kill them all and let them die" That is why we have to face reality, anything can happen at anytime the world is becoming more and more devastating everyday that anybody can be in the situation at anytime. A world of brutality and wickedness.

Okay, imagine you have been shot(God forbid), congratulations you survived

and there is no help around, or not even sure if any is coming soonest. Chances of surviving a bullet wound depends on various factors.

The dept at of the wound created by the bullet.

If the bullet has came in contact with major blood vessels, Organs, and bones.

The distance from the hospital

The type of bullet

The survival hints below is bent on keeping you alive until help comes and encompasses all of this factors.

TAKE COVER:

The first thing to do is to avoid another taking another shot by pulling yourself up unto a safe place.

MAKE NECESSARY ATTEMPTS TO PLACE A CALL FOR AN AMBULANCE OR CAL FOR HELP IF POSSIBLE.

MAKE SURE YOUR AIRWAYS ARE GOING THROUGH AND KEEO ON BREATHING.

FIGHT BLEEDING:

Wounds opens up a groove or vent for the confined blood inside your blood vessels to make their way out and a bullet wound is not an exception. Maybe the blood are always happy to be free from running around your body that's why you see them rushing out happily through your wounds. Everything likes freedom anyway.

Stopping a bleeding bullet wound could be very hectic depending on the dept of the bullet inside the body. And also if the bullet has sojourned through any main artery, organ or even the bones. An internal bleeding is more dangerous than a external bleeding. But in every bullet wound your goal will be to contrict the affected blood vessels around the wound, and this you can do through applying either pressure or a method called cautirizing(heating up a metal heavilly and placing it on the wound) oh my God this can be so painful you know? But in critical situations like this, pain is not a factor to be added up amoung the problems at hand. To apply pressure, use a pad over the wound and apply pressure directly to the wound. If you have nothing available, even your hand or fingers can be used to control bleeding. You can still employ other methods of stopping bleeding which you feel can help in the situation.

CALM YOURSELF DOWN:

You have to be calm and also stable physically, mentally spiritually and any other ally available. Moving the affected part will push the surrounding arteries to deploy more blood to the wounded part, causing more bleeding. And also, panic will increase your heartbeat, more blood will be pumped and with the open wound serving as a channel for the pumped blood to be deposited. Then spiritually in the sense that, your soul need to fight the fear of living the body, and this you can achieve by praying to your creator.

DRINK A LOT OF WATER:

Water will help replenish your intravascular fluid lost during bleeding.

PREVENT INFECTION:

When the bullet was plunging into your body, it cannot in there alone, it goes in with some particles of your hair, skin and also your clothe. All this particles, especially the skin will start decomposition immediatly because it is dead. And thereby setting up a breeding ground for bacterias which will end up causing an infection if not attended to. To prevent infection you have to keep the wound clean by cleaning it with water and a clean cloth. Continue doing that until the ambulance arrives to take you to the hospital for proper treatment and a removal of the bullet.

Thanks.

This article will need your opinions, suggestions and what you think about gun shot wounds and its survival in the absense of help.

Use the comment box below to talk to us. Have you encountered any experience related to this this? how did you survive? how was it like? how did it happen.

I will also like to learn, because I always like learning. I have not even touched a gun through out my life time, neither have I received a bullet shot before.

Thank you and remain blessed
http://cliniconomy..com/2013/09/how-to-survive-bullet-wound-until.html?m=0
THANKS for THIS!!!
Re: How To Survive A Bullet Wound Until Ambulance Arrives by krisproperty: 9:13pm On Sep 30, 2013
ziggzetto, you wont break my chicks. Laughing tinz big time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

HIV Vaccine Breakthrough As Experts Generate Immune Cells To Stop Spread / Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? / Young Man Affected By Chemical Explosion At His Place Of Work Recovers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.