Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,684 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article (48013 Views)

Sunnah Of Friday / Reminder: Sunnah Of Friday (picx) / The Rights Of A New Born Baby In Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Deen4me(m): 3:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
Islam has been perfected, No matter how much they despise it .

It was reported that Abu Moosa said: “I had a baby boy, and I brought him to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
He named him Ibraaheem, did Tahneek with some dates and prayed for Allaah to bless him, then he gave him back to me.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5150; Muslim, 2145).

Tahneek means putting something sweet, such as dates or honey, in the child’s mouth when he is first born.

The practice has been recorded in the Sunnah of the Rasul 1400 years ago, Science is just catching up grin

Find the Article below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24224206

A dose of sugar given as a gel rubbed into the inside of the cheek is a cheap and effective way to protect premature babies against brain damage, say experts.

Dangerously low blood sugar affects about one in 10 babies born too early. Untreated, it can cause permanent harm.

Researchers from New Zealand tested the gel therapy in 242 babies under their care and, based on the results, say it should now be a first-line treatment.

Their work is published in The Lancet.

Dextrose gel treatment costs just over £1 per baby and is simpler to administer than glucose via a drip,
say Prof Jane Harding and her team at the University of Auckland.

Sugar dose

Current treatment typically involves extra feeding and repeated blood tests to measure blood sugar levels.

But many babies are admitted to intensive care and given intravenous glucose because their blood sugar remains low - a condition doctors call hypoglycaemia.

The study assessed whether treatment with dextrose gel was more effective than feeding alone at reversing hypoglycaemia.

Neil Marlow, from the Institute for Women's Health at University College London, said that although dextrose gel had fallen into disuse, these findings suggested it should be resurrected as a treatment.

We now had high-quality evidence that it was of value, he said.

Andy Cole, chief executive of premature baby charity Bliss, said:

"This is a very interesting piece of new research and we always welcome anything that has the potential to improve outcomes for babies born premature or sick.

"This is a cost-effective treatment and could reduce admissions to intensive care services, which are already working at high capacity levels.

"While the early results of this research show benefits to babies born with low blood sugars, it is clear there is more research to be done to implement this treatment."

25 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by deols(f): 3:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
At the time of the prophet, realising which neonate was hypoglycemic must have been difficult. Using dates or honey prophylactically must have saved many children.

alhamdulillah for the light of al Islam. A lot said in the Quran and hadith would be proven much later.

We hear and we obey..even when not YET proven.

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Nairatalks: 8:19am On Sep 26, 2013
Hanging islam on shaky science is wrong.

The Quran/Hadith does not explicitly say that the sweet materials are meant for premature/sick babies.

14 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Deen4me(m): 9:31am On Sep 26, 2013
Nairatalks: Hanging islam on shaky science is wrong.

The Quran/Hadith does not explicitly say that the sweet materials are meant for premature/sick babies.

How is it shaky ?

and how has the above scientific findings replace Islam's 6 Articles of Faith ?

The point to be looked at is .....

a) Actions that have been recommended by the sunnah , will gain better understanding and appreciation if and when science is able to shed more light on it.

This is not to be replaced with the notion that until science proves it right , we don't follow or believe or appreciate the sunnah as we should.

Examples are , not sleeping on your stomach, Not drinking while standing, the fly whose disease and cure reside on each wing.

All these discoveries further drive home the point that the sunnah of the Rasul Should be followed to the letter. "We Hear and We Obey"

Would you expect the Rasul (Pbuh) to write scientific papers giving details of the benefits of his actions, when technology at the time is yet to catch up ?

Did you also forget that he was Unlettered ?

May Allah Guide us aright

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Nairatalks: 1:04pm On Sep 27, 2013
My comment got hidden

1 Like

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by RayMcBlue(m): 1:11pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks: My comment got hidden

A classic example of Muslim tolerance. Give thanks!

11 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by bimflash(f): 1:17pm On Sep 27, 2013
grin Cool
Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by homesteady(m): 1:19pm On Sep 27, 2013
cheesy cool!
Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Nairatalks: 1:19pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ray McBlue:

A classic example of Muslim tolerance. Give thanks!

I am a muslim.

You have to understand, Islam is becoming divided. We have the intolerant islamists undermining the efforts of the sensible muslims.

Jut yesterday, some muslims were talking about having continuous dialogue with young muslim men so that they wouldnt be radicalised and then, something like Westgate wont happen. Somehow, the discussion turned when some muslims started deflecting it to Western imperialism and occupation of Muslim lands.

You see, any sensible muslim would discard the op. It is a ridiculous claim. No muslim scientist would give credence to these claims. How does it make sense to hang the validity of the Quran on newly discovered scientific breakthroughs that have not been thoroughly researched? What if the sugar gel has some major side effects later discovered? Would you start saying that the Quran supports such?

Did the Quran or hadith specifically say that sweet things should be given to premature babies?

I tire for these falsehoods!

25 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by razzydiary(m): 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
Peace be Upon Him!
Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by ViKtor1094(m): 1:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks:

I am a muslim.

You have to understand, Islam is becoming divided. We have the intolerant islamists undermining the efforts of the sensible muslims.

Jut yesterday, some muslims were talking about having continuous dialogue with young muslim men so that they wouldnt be radicalised and then, something like Westgate wont happen. Somehow, the discussion turned when some muslims started deflecting it to Western imperialism and occupation of Muslim lands.

You see, any sensible muslim would discard the op. It is a ridiculous claim. No muslim scientist would give credence to these claims. How does it make sense to hang the validity of the Quran on newly discovered scientific breakthroughs that have not been thoroughly researched? What if the sugar gel has some major side effects later discovered? Would you start saying that the Quran supports such?

Did the Quran or hadith specifically say that sweet things should be given to premature babies?

Thumbs up!!!

4 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by shidof(m): 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2013
masha Allah
Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by sabbath7th: 1:28pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ya right. Hindu text says you should not eat beef and scientist have found the link between red meat to colon cancer. Does this mean Hindu text should be followed to the letter? Was mohammad the first person to put sugar in a baby's mouth? He probably did what was done as costum in Arabia. People have been doing this for a long time.

10 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by RayMcBlue(m): 1:28pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks:

I am a muslim.

I like your honesty and objectivity. Wish more Muslim see things like you do.

15 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Andyblaze: 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ok...ph.d
Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by packagerz: 1:31pm On Sep 27, 2013
Niaja sha... Story story
Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by jude33084(m): 1:33pm On Sep 27, 2013
Cute baby though kiss

Muslims are the ones contradicting themselves with words due to sentiments undecided

1 Like

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Pattey(m): 1:37pm On Sep 27, 2013
Don't Yorubas also have tradition of putting different stuffs in a baby's mouth during naming? And its been a tradition since like forever. . . Using symbolic items to connote different expected positive attributes. . . Etc etc etc

Or is there something I'm not getting about this article?

5 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by jude33084(m): 1:39pm On Sep 27, 2013
Pattey: Don't Yorubas also have tradition of putting different stuffs in a baby's mouth during naming? And its been a tradition since like forever. . . Using symbolic items to connote different expected positive attributes. . . Etc etc etc

In Edo, Benin; they use honey undecided

2 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Hero10001: 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2013
OP OLODO!!
Copy and paste eediot.
Premature.. Prematured baby is it.

1 Like

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2013
Koyemi! Summary ejo
Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Mudarris: 2:33pm On Sep 27, 2013
I am a muslim.

I tire for these falsehoods![/quote]
How is it a ridiculous claim sir? D OP wasn't using d post to validate any tin. He was trying to educate us all on somtin that was said and taught over 1,400 years ago by an unlettered man on d care of new borns,not premature alone. What was used den was date fruit that should be mashed and rubbed on d inner linning of d infants mouth. D link between d date palm and sugar gel is that both contain glucose which prevents susceptible infants from tilting into hypoglycaemc spells before dey're breastfed. D incidence of hypoglycaemia in newborn infants is increasing daily due to lots of factors,maternal DM not exclusive.

5 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by lionness(f): 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2013
Amazing the incredible things that can be proven in Islam, Quran and the quote of Mohamad scientifically and psychologically. I wrote my papers on Aviccina, progenitor of medieval medicine. Aviccina is 12th century scientist and philosopher from Turkey. Is real name is Bin Sinna, though westerners call him Aviccina. I learn he was a Moslem scholar, and this same guy created medivial medicine which later became modern medicine. He performed the first successful surgery in history. I say shame on the current bunch of moslems. They are not compared to those real ones who came before. Today, all you have is Bokoharam, Al Qaeda, and As Shabab and confused Alhajis like IBB and the useless likes of Atiku and Buhari. I'm still confused how a religion that bred men like Acinnai, Rumi, Gazali, Al Maqtum, and even the current ruler of Dubai today is the enclave of muderous soulless scums. Maybe Islam has reached its limits.

3 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by omoalayo(m): 2:43pm On Sep 27, 2013
excellence44: pls i wana know... is it right legally n religiously for muslims to pray on d road?
..you mean in d middle of the lane lyk Lagos-Ibadan expressway??

1 Like

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by maclatunji: 2:52pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ray McBlue:

I like your honesty and objectivity. Wish more Muslim see things like you do.

You mean we should be Atheists pretending to be Muslims to please people like you? The delusion is grand.

Logicboy, you are always discussing Islam. Muslims practice not debating all the time. Like today is Jumat, where did you observe Jumat?

I know, on Nairaland trolling. #Pathetic

10 Likes

Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by Urine: 3:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
Nairatalks:

I am a muslim.

End of discussion.
Re: Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article by RayMcBlue(m): 3:04pm On Sep 27, 2013
maclatunji:

You mean we should be Atheists pretending to be Muslims to please people like you? The delusion is grand.

Logicboy, you are always discussing Islam. Muslims practice not debating all the time. Like today is Jumat, where did you observe Jumat?

I know, on Nairaland trolling. #Pathetic

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

Btw, I'm not L.B.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

One Of World’s Oldest Mosques Found In Israel / When Is Sallah Day In Nigeria? / Why Muslims Hasten To Bury The Dead?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.