Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. (4368 Views)

Photo Of President Jonathan Being Accredited In Otuoke, Bayelsa / President Jonathan Being Made Up To Look Even Cuter [Photo] / Jonathan Being Prayed For By Ministers In Israel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by hillsate: 4:13pm On Sep 25, 2013
President Jonathan addressed the UN general assembly where he said Nigeria deserves a UN security council seat.

The guys in the picture were laughing at him.

But seriously, was he joking to make that kind of statement.

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by dayokanu(m): 4:15pm On Sep 25, 2013
First man: Are you serious this man is a President in Africa?

Second man: He reeks of alcohol and cluelessness

Both: ROTLMAO

14 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by luvola(m): 4:17pm On Sep 25, 2013
The retardeen will not keep disgracing us in the outside world.
Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by globalaid(m): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2013
We have done a lot to deserve a un seat by our sacrifice and resources both in africa and world in particular but until we get our act right we would always be a laughing stock in the comity of nations.

1 Like

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by classicmusic: 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
He is still d president..a position two posters above would never get to till they die....

Am not a fan of him doh...I just respect him cos he is an elder n our president

15 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by flobby57(m): 4:31pm On Sep 25, 2013
Nothing laughable for any country to vie for UN Security Council membership but the issue is,Do we merit it ?
Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by kettykin: 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2013
more laughable are the people who would rather be found dead than found not being in the same country with this retardeen LOL!!!

3 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by dirifred(m): 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2013
if u look closely at the picture, u will see that the two men you are talking about are greatly distracted by something order than what our dear president is saying, none is pointing at him or looking at him. but you know whats up in our dear nation now 'anything to get a political score against the president is made popular' but am proud of my President, press on my dear president, you will win 2015 becos of ur performance.

22 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by blacksta(m): 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2013
Maybe the president farted grin -
Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by stevecantrell: 5:01pm On Sep 25, 2013
WHITE DUDE : What type of hat is that ? Reminds me of those Crocodile Dundee movies..

BLACK GUY : Back in Nigeria they call 'em "Resource Control hats"..

WHITE DUDE : What on earth is a "Resource Control" hat..these Nigerians..how ridiculous..

BOTH : LWTMB !!!!

10 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by homesteady(m): 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2013
dirifred: if u look closely at the picture, u will see that the two men you are talking about are greatly distracted by something order than what our dear president is saying, none is pointing at him or looking at him. but you know whats up in our dear nation now 'anything to get a political score against the president is made popular' but am proud of my President, press on my dear president, you will win 2015 becos of ur performance.

100000 likes

3 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 25, 2013
steve_cantrell: WHITE DUDE : What type of hat is that ? Reminds me of those Crocodile Dundee movies..

WHITE DUDE : What on earth is a "Resource Control" hat..these Nigerians..how ridiculous..

lolz
Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by enigmang: 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2013
This thread reeks of inferiority complex...

Did any of you bother to listen to the salient point the president was making..

SMH

4 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by PrinceDudu(m): 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
dirifred: if u look closely at the picture, u will see that the two men you are talking about are greatly distracted by something order than what our dear president is saying, none is pointing at him or looking at him. but you know whats up in our dear nation now 'anything to get a political score against the president is made popular' but am proud of my President, press on my dear president, you will win 2015 becos of ur performance.

the statement below was copied from a friends Facebook page and i totally agree with it.

"By 2015, President Jonathan would have served our nation for six solid years. This, surely, is enough time for him to achieve whatever he is capable of doing for Nigeria. What else is he looking for that is making him desperate to participate in the 2015 presidential election despite warnings that doing so may spark a chain of events capable of culminating into the country’s disintegration"

2 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by Boss13: 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
Seun I need to call your attention. This is getting out of hand. You need to caution members about the insults heaped on the president at no cause. You also need to understand the power of the media. Many forum members here insulting the president are not fit enough to wear his hat, many are still in their teen age and the rest are raised badly.

7 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by IGBOSON1: 5:58pm On Sep 25, 2013
So you reckon those guys (obviously seasoned diplomats) got to the pinnacle of their careers by laughing at El Presidente of a member country.....in full glare of the cameras?

Fortunately most peeps aren't as slow as you!

2 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by Pukkah: 6:02pm On Sep 25, 2013
steve_cantrell: WHITE DUDE : What type of hat is that ? Reminds me of those Crocodile Dundee movies..

Isn't there anything that can be done about this hat? There's nothing African about it. Can't he stop wearing it?

5 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by ba7man(m): 6:02pm On Sep 25, 2013
They might be talking and laughing at something else........but one thing's for sure. They don't think much of G.E.J not to be listening to his speech.

If I, a Nigerian thinks he's not articulate, I wonder what he'll sound like to a lot of foreigners.

1 Like

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 25, 2013
The fedora hat wearing goon definitely looks like the missing character from South Park.

I'd laugh as well if I were in their shoes.
Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by Pukkah: 6:11pm On Sep 25, 2013
ba7man: They might be talking and laughing at something else........but one thing's for sure. They don't think much of G.E.J not to be listening to his speech.

If I, a Nigerian thinks he's not articulate, I wonder what he'll sound like to a lot of foreigners.

President Jonathan is far from being articulate. It looks like his words simply get muddled up as soon as he begins to speak. May be this is why he tries to avoid speeches, interviews or debates. Often, he ends up saying what he doesn't mean or use words that don't aptly describe his thoughts.

This might also be why he gets nervous or upset to the extent that he used the famous 'I don't give a damn' phrase. He lacks poise and does not radiate confidence. Please note that confidence is not the same thing as arrogance and anger is not the same as poise.

The surprise in all of this is that he was a lecturer/PhD holder who should be able to gather his thoughts and pass them across in a clear manner in front of an audience. So how did he get by as a lecturer?

3 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by dridowu: 6:12pm On Sep 25, 2013
I respect the office of d president so no comment for now but for the presi saying that Nigeria deserve to be in security council then that must be the joke of the year
Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by ba7man(m): 6:15pm On Sep 25, 2013
Pukkah:

President Jonathan is far from being articulate. It looks like his words simply get muddled up as soon as he begins to speak. May be this is why he tries to avoid speeches, interviews or debates. Often, he ends up saying what he doesn't mean or use words that don't aptly describe his thoughts.

This might also be why he gets nervous or upset to the extent that he used the famous 'I don't give a damn' phrase. He lacks poise and does not radiate confidence. Please note that confidence is not the same thing as arrogance and anger is not the same as poise.

The surprise in all of this is that he was a lecturer/PhD holder who should be able to gather his thoughts and pass them across in a clear manner in front of an audience. So how did he get by as a lecturer?
They also say he's "Humble" but. all i see is a man that lacks "Charisma".
Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by Effwazobia: 6:20pm On Sep 25, 2013
Whatever hat, whatever hand shake, whatever hotel, whatdahell ever, monkey this, monkey that, baboon this, baboon that, daft this, daft that. blah blah blah. Geee, give me a freaking break. This much I know, we are stuck with him. So too bad, he will be the Presido until 2019. If you don't like it, go fly a kite. He must complete 2 terms just like every other presido before him had been entitled to

1 Like

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by Pukkah: 6:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
ba7man: They also say he's "Humble" but. all i see is a man that lacks "Charisma".

It's the spin doctors that have turned the lack of charisma into 'humility'.

See some of these speeches:

While in Abeokuta, he said:

Even the man himself will not be happy if we don’t visit him. I am like a son to Obasanjo.”

It is true we saw President Obasanjo in his house because we came here to Abeokuta to commiserate with Abati who buried his mother yesterday. And knowing that Abati’s house is at the backyard of Obasanjo’s house, it will not be good if we come and not visit him.”

Sometime ago, he said:

“I just got back from the United States (US); the President of America is like the President of the world because it is the most powerful country. In most cases, if you go for UN General Assembly; if you are to speak immediately after the US President, then you are in trouble. Immediately he speaks, about two thirds of the hall will leave because everybody wants to listen to the President of America.
“When Obama spoke during the Security Council meeting outside the General Assembly, he commended Nigeria, but back home, we are being abused. When the President of South Africa and Gabon spoke, they commended Nigeria, but here, we are not being appreciated. But what I can assure you is that Nigeria is on course and with your prayers and the guidance of God, we will surely get to the destination we are going.

Imagine this:

“Some others will want the President to operate like an army general, like my Chief of Army Staff commanding his troops. Incidentally, I am not a lion; I am not also a general.

See this on his response to Boko Haram ceasefire:

"No negotiation, no. In some other parts of the world, I don’t want to mention names here, it is not negotiation. The issue is that am not begging. But if you are somebody’s daughter and you are not doing what is right, if you are in a secondary school or you are in a school and people observe that this young lady is not doing what is right, the way she dresses, the way you talk, some people will come through the mother to talk to the daughter or your school teacher to do that. That is what we are doing. It is not negotiation.”

The man simply finds it difficult to express himself in a clear, logical, and concise manner.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by Tranquill: 6:36pm On Sep 25, 2013
dridowu: I respect the office of d president so no comment for now but for the presi saying that Nigeria deserve to be in security council then that must be the joke of the year

Babangida, Obasanjo and other leaders have said it in the past so nothing new. Even late Abiola did say it.
Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by jmaine: 6:39pm On Sep 25, 2013
All this useless analysis and discussion over a non existent premiss . . . . . undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by omenka(m): 7:12pm On Sep 25, 2013
Pukkah:

It's the spin doctors that have turned the lack of charisma into 'humility'.

See some of these speeches:

While in Abeokuta, he said:

Even the man himself will not be happy if we don’t visit him. I am like a son to Obasanjo.”

It is true we saw President Obasanjo in his house because we came here to Abeokuta to commiserate with Abati who buried his mother yesterday. And knowing that Abati’s house is at the backyard of Obasanjo’s house, it will not be good if we come and not visit him.”

Sometime ago, he said:

“I just got back from the United States (US); the President of America is like the President of the world because it is the most powerful country. In most cases, if you go for UN General Assembly; if you are to speak immediately after the US President, then you are in trouble. Immediately he speaks, about two thirds of the hall will leave because everybody wants to listen to the President of America.
“When Obama spoke during the Security Council meeting outside the General Assembly, he commended Nigeria, but back home, we are being abused. When the President of South Africa and Gabon spoke, they commended Nigeria, but here, we are not being appreciated. But what I can assure you is that Nigeria is on course and with your prayers and the guidance of God, we will surely get to the destination we are going.

Imagine this:

“Some others will want the President to operate like an army general, like my Chief of Army Staff commanding his troops. Incidentally, I am not a lion; I am not also a general.

See this on his response to Boko Haram ceasefire:

"No negotiation, no. In some other parts of the world, I don’t want to mention names here, it is not negotiation. The issue is that am not begging. But if you are somebody’s daughter and you are not doing what is right, if you are in a secondary school or you are in a school and people observe that this young lady is not doing what is right, the way she dresses, the way you talk, some people will come through the mother to talk to the daughter or your school teacher to do that. That is what we are doing. It is not negotiation.”

The man simply finds it difficult to express himself in a clear, logical, and concise manner.

All of these are nothing compared to the bombshell he droped sometime in early 2010 during a presidential media chat when asked if he would contest in 2011. Hear him: if i say i would run now, people would start feeling one kind.!!

I cldnt belive my ears!!

1 Like

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by hillsate: 7:20pm On Sep 25, 2013
Guys, even if they were not laughing at Mr president, Do you think they'd be laughing and sharing a joke if it were President Obama talking?
From the picture, they had more important things to discuss than whatever the president was saying.
They would have been rapt with attention even if it were Obasanjo talking.
What happened to us?
(Gi)ant of africa?

1 Like

Re: Is President Jonathan Being Laughed At During His UN Address. by fr3do(m): 7:31pm On Sep 25, 2013
You dont respect your president
you expect other countries to take you seriously.

Those men in the background behaved childishly,courtesy demands when one makes a speech,you pay attention or pretend to.

And I dont like the idea of UN officials being on a higher platform,the podium on which the president of a sovereign state speaks should be highest.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mr. Ogbeni Is Calling Workers "Olori Buruku / Amaechi To Drag The Nigerian Senate To Court / N6bn Power Transmission Projects Stall Amid Funding Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.