Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,056 members, 7,810,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? (3003 Views)

Uganda’s Tarantino And His $200 Action Movies. / 12 Year Old Nigerian, Zuriel Oduwole Is Youngest Film Maker In The World (video) / Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 26, 2013
To me i think Quentin is better because he does not direct anything that comes around him unlike Rodriguez (planet terror, machete), he has directed a few movies compared to Rodriquez but has garnered more awards.

QUENTIN TARANTINO

Quentin Jerome Tarantino (/ˌtærənˈtiːnoʊ/; born March 27, 1963) is an American film director, screenwriter, producer, and actor. His films have been characterized by nonlinear storylines, satirical subject matter, and an aestheticization of violence that often results in the exhibition of neo-noir characteristics. Tarantino has been dubbed a "director DJ," comparing his stylistic use of mix-and-match genre and music infusion to the use of sampling in DJ exhibits, morphing a variety of old works to create a new one.
Tarantino grew up an avid film fan and worked in a video rental store while training to act. His career began in the late 1980s, when he wrote and directed My Best Friend's Birthday, the screenplay of which formed the basis for True Romance. In the early 1990s, he began his career as an independent filmmaker with the release of Reservoir Dogs in 1992; regarded as a classic and cult hit, it was called the "Greatest Independent Film of All Time" by Empire magazine. Its popularity was boosted by the release of his second film, 1994's Pulp Fiction, a neo-noir crime film that became a major critical and commercial success, widely regarded as one of the greatest films of all time. Paying homage to 1970s blaxploitation films, Tarantino released Jackie Brown in 1997, an adaptation of the novel Rum Punch.
Kill Bill, a highly stylized "revenge flick" in the cinematic traditions of Chinese martial arts, spaghetti westerns and Italian horror, followed six years later, and was released as two films: Vol. 1 in 2003, and Vol. 2 in 2004. Tarantino released Death Proof in 2007 as part of a double feature with friend Robert Rodriguez, under the collective title Grindhouse. His long-postponed Inglourious Basterds, which tells the fictional alternate history story of two plots to assassinate Nazi Germany's political leadership, was released in 2009 and became his second highest-grossing film to date ($321 million). His most recent and highest grossing work is 2012's critically acclaimed Django Unchained, a western film set in the antebellum era of the Deep South.
Tarantino's films have garnered both critical and commercial success. He has received many industry awards, including two Academy Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, two BAFTA Awards, and the Palme d'Or, and has been nominated for an Emmy and a Grammy. Filmmaker and historian Peter Bogdanovich has called him "the single most influential director of his generation".

ROBERT RODRIGUEZ

Rodríguez was born in San Antonio, Texas, the son of Mexican-American parents Rebecca (née Villegas), a nurse, and Cecilio G. Rodríguez, a salesman.[4][5] He began his interest in film at age 11 when his father bought one of the first VCRs, which came with a camera.
While attending St. Anthony High School, he was commissioned to videotape the school's football games. According to his sister he was fired soon after for shooting them with a cinematic style, getting shots of parents' reactions and the ball traveling through the air instead of shooting the whole play. There he met Carlos Gallardo; they both shot films on video throughout high school and college. After graduating Rodriguez went to the College of Communication at the University of Texas where he also developed a love of cartooning. His grades were not high enough to get into the school's film program, so he invented a daily comic strip entitled Los Hooligans with many of the characters based on his siblings – in particular, one of his sisters, Maricarmen. The comic proved to be quite successful, running for three years in the student newspaper The Daily Texan while Rodríguez continued to make short films.
Rodríguez grew up shooting action and horror short films on video, and editing on two VCRs. Finally, in the fall of 1990, his entry in a local film contest earned him a spot in the university's film program where he made the award-winning 16 mm short "Bedhead". The film chronicles the amusing misadventures of a young girl whose older brother sports an incredibly tangled mess of hair that she cannot tolerate. Even at this early stage, Rodríguez's trademark style began to emerge: quick cuts, intense zooms, and fast camera movements deployed with a sense of humor that offsets the action.

Re: Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? by Briareos(m): 10:15am On Sep 26, 2013
They are both excellent filmmakers.

Rodriguez writes, directs, edits and scores. He is also a d.o.p.

QT only writes and directs. (I think he is better in both aspects)
Re: Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 26, 2013
Briareos: They are both excellent filmmakers.

Rodriguez writes, directs, edits and scores. He is also a d.o.p.

QT only writes and directs. (I think he is better in both aspects)
Well said. The impact Rodriguez made i loved in film history was shooting his first feature (EL Mariachi) with just $7000, and the movie grossed upto $2000000+.
Re: Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? by prof800(m): 1:06pm On Sep 26, 2013
I love Rodriguez more than Tarantino..anytime anyday.
But the style tarantino brought to writing and directing makes him obviously better than his buddy.
These two guys have been very close friends for ages.

1 Like

Re: Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? by VillageBoi(m): 1:31pm On Sep 26, 2013
Normally I dey skip these kain threads.

Must one be better than the other? I don't think either of them is out there saying 'My ding-a-ling is bigger than yours!'

They are both very good at what they do and thats why they are where they are.

PS. By the way my mango tree grows the tallest... una villages get nonzenze trees!
Re: Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? by prof800(m): 1:37pm On Sep 26, 2013
VillageBoi:
Normally I dey skip these kain threads.

Must one be better than the other? I don't think either of them is out there saying 'My ding-a-ling is bigger than yours!'

They are both very good at what they do and thats why they are where they are.

PS. By the way my mango tree grows the tallest... una villages get nonzenze trees!
That was so hilarious...
Re: Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? by VillageBoi(m): 2:45pm On Sep 26, 2013
prof800:
That was so hilarious...

I beg make una no mind me I just no get power today to argue/debate which one of then betta pass. I like em both!
Re: Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? by Ignatio(m): 6:01am On Sep 27, 2013
They're both good. Each man with his own style. Both of them coming together to work will be like Voltron.

(1) (Reply)

Dstv Vs Hitv Vs Darsat / 18 Dstv Error Codes And How To Fix Them / Breaking!!! Trailer of Tunde Kelani's History Making new Film Maami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.