Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,584 members, 7,823,528 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? (829 Views)

Uganda’s Tarantino And His $200 Action Movies. / Quentin Tarantino’s Top 10 Movies For 2013-the Conjuring & The Lone Ranger Among / Quentin Tarantino And Robert Rodriguez, Who Is A Better Film Maker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Orikinla(m): 8:57pm On Aug 04, 2014
Kodak's new chief executive, Jeff Clarke, said the pact will allow his company to forestall the closure of its Rochester, N.Y., film manufacturing plant, a move that had been under serious consideration. Kodak's motion-picture film sales have plummeted 96% since 2006, from 12.4 billion linear feet to an estimated 449 million this year. With the exit of competitor Fujifilm Corp. last year, Kodak is the only major company left producing motion-picture film.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/kodak-movie-film-at-deaths-door-gets-a-reprieve-1406674752#

The trajectory of Digital cinema is going to bring the glorious history of 35 mm projection to an end and this is the worst nightmare of Quentin Tarantino.
Yeah as far as I’m concerned, digital projection and DCPs is the death of cinema as I know it. It’s not even about shooting your film on film or shooting your film on digital, the fact that most films now are not presented in 35 mm means that the war is lost and digital projections — that’s just television in public. Apparently the whole world is okay with television in public but what I knew as cinema is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K32kOkXsnqM

The Simple Solution To Save Kodak and 35 mm Cinema

We can still save 35 mm cinema as a popular art form and public entertainment by allowing traditional cinema to co-exist with digital cinema instead of phasing out celluloid totally as the expensive conversion to digital cinema has cost each movie theater about $100,000. And I am among those who donated to save the 89 years old Blue Mouse Theater in Proctor District, Tacoma from closure.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1355844229/help-save-the-blue-mouse-theatre.

Let movie lovers have the choice to see movies in either of the two formats and let Quentin Tarantino and company continue to make fantastic films for millions of their fans and they can still make digital cinema copies of their films for digital projection. And save Kodak from closure.

All that matters most to movie lovers is to see a great movie on the silver screen at the movie theater and whatever projection you are using for the screening of the movie is your business.

~ By Ekenyerengozi Michael Chima, Publisher/Editor of Nigerians Report Online, theNOLLYWOOD MIRROR® SERIES, Nollywood Digital, and other publications online and offline.
Re: Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Briareos(m): 11:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
Martin Scorcese lent his voice to this clarion call recently. And I'm sure Chris Nolan will be down too. He has refused to shoot on digital.
Re: Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Orikinla(m): 10:32am On Aug 05, 2014
Briareos: Martin Scorcese lent his voice to this clarion call recently. And I'm sure Chris Nolan will be down too. He has refused to shoot on digital.
Good.
We can have it both ways.
Re: Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Briareos(m): 10:37am On Aug 05, 2014
Orikinla:
Good.
We can have it both ways.

Nah, it's a lost battle. It's only a matter of time

1 Like

Re: Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Orikinla(m): 11:29am On Aug 05, 2014
Briareos:

Nah, it's a lost battle. It's only a matter of time

There is a classic film produced here in Nigeria in 1926, but never shown in Nigeria.
The owners have agreed to let me show it for the first time in Nigeria, but it can only be screen with the classic twin projector.
Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, Judd Apatow, and J.J. Abrams can insist on making their films for 35 mm cinemas alone and the exhibitors cannot ignore them, because they have millions of fans who must see their films.
Re: Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Briareos(m): 5:32pm On Aug 05, 2014
Orikinla:

There is a classic film produced here in Nigeria in 1926, but never shown in Nigeria.
The owners have agreed to let me show it for the first time in Nigeria, but it can only be screen with the classic twin projector.
Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, Judd Apatow, and J.J. Abrams can insist on making their films for 35 mm cinemas alone and the exhibitors cannot ignore them, because they have millions of fans who must see their films.

And what will happen if these people stop making films in the next 30 years or so? The young ones are not picking it up and even the old guys are dropping it like a hot iron.

Like I said, it's a lost battle, my friend.

1 Like

Re: Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Orikinla(m): 2:11pm On Aug 06, 2014
Briareos:

And what will happen if these people stop making films in the next 30 years or so? The young ones are not picking it up and even the old guys are dropping it like a hot iron.

Like I said, it's a lost battle, my friend.

Okay. But they are still teaching making movies on celluloid in film schools and still using 16 mm and 35 mm cameras for projects.
Re: Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Ignatio(m): 5:57am On Aug 07, 2014
Orikinla:

Okay. But they are still teaching making movies on celluloid in film schools and still using 16 mm and 35 mm cameras for projects.

That will phase out soon. What's the point of learning what you won't use? The technology is dying and losing support. Their sales chart is very pathetic. Whatever effect celluoid gives can be achieved digitally.

Digitalization has made filmmaking easier and faster.
So far in history analog has been losing battles to digital.
Re: Can Quentin Tarantino And Company Save Kodak And 35 Mm Cinema? by Orikinla(m): 5:00pm On Aug 07, 2014
Ignatio:

That will phase out soon. What's the point of learning what you won't use? The technology is dying and losing support. Their sales chart is very pathetic. Whatever effect celluoid gives can be achieved digitally.

Digitalization has made filmmaking easier and faster.
So far in history analog has been losing battles to digital.

Experts say digital cinema is also costly in the long term.

(1) (Reply)

. / . / What To No About ‘10 Days In Sun City’ - Aylive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.