Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,519 members, 7,854,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 12:56 PM

Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? (27497 Views)

Enyeama, Musa Shortlisted For African Footballer Of The Year Award / Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by boboLIL(m): 4:59am On Sep 28, 2013
ahbeqi oh, cox he score im first premier qoal in 7yrx, na im make am qewd? Smh oh jareh
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by kolardzy(m): 5:16am On Sep 28, 2013
Danhumprey: You people should understand the the playing position of the two players are not the same. While Yaya is playing as a defensive midfielder,Mikel has been constantly resigned to the defensive midfield(as against the attacking midfield which is his natural position) and that has continually hamper him from him from proving his best.

Mikel shouldn't even be a contender! He should be given the award directly! But with the sterling performance of Yaya Toure,it's gonna be a little difficult. But I suggest both of them share the award for this year(i.e,if two different players can be allowed to share the award at the same time).
Senseless comment. They both play as DMF and CMF at club level!!
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by boron10(m): 5:19am On Sep 28, 2013
Katsumoto:

That list was fine until you included Adebayor.

Replace Adebayor with KPB
No, he should be replaced with Vincent Enyeama
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by emmabest2000(m): 5:29am On Sep 28, 2013
Owo Lee: After waiting for seven years, Super Eagles and Chelsea FC of England midfielder, John Obi Mikel, finally scored his first English Premier League goal against Fulham on Saturday, making him a strong contender for the Glo/CAF African Footballer Of The Year Award billed for Lagos next year.
Soccer loving Nigerians celebrated the goal with frenzy, with some calling jokingly on the Federal Government of Nigeria to declare seven days holiday to mark the end of Mikel’s goal drought. It may sound amazing but that was the wish of Nigerian football fans.

Football pundits in Nigeria are of the view that Mikel should be rewarded with the 2013 edition of the Glo/CAF African Footballer of The Year Award by the Confederation of African Football, CAF, judging by his recent performances.

With a 2013 African Cup of Nations medal, the UEFA Champions League and EUROPA League medals to his credit, some believe that it is time Mikel was crowned the best player in Africa.
Since Stephen Keshi was named as coach of the Super Eagles, Mikel has been a regular, with his sterling performance on the field as an added advantage for him if CAF wants to look in that direction in giving him the award. Mikel’s five star performances at the Nations Cup was pivotal to ending Nigeria’s 19 years wait before winning the AFCON tourney in South Africa early in the year.

The Super Eagles had an abysmal performance at the 2013 Confederations Cup held in Brazil but Mikel, the former Lyn Oslo of Norway player, was on the scorer’s sheet in the 6-1 bashing of little known Tahiti.

There are three other players standing in Mikel’s way for the award and they are his compatriots, Emmanuel Emenike of Fenerbahce of Turkey, Victor Moses, who is on loan to Liverpool from Chelsea and Cote d’Ivoire’s Yaya Toure.

Yaya’s country were strong favourites to defeat Nigeria and go ahead to lift the Nations Cup this year, but Mikel’s input in the semifinal clash went a long way in ensuring that Nigeria did not only deny Cote d’Ivoire a final berth but went ahead to lift the trophy.

Cote d’Ivoire failed to live up to their favourites’ tag at the Nations Cup but Yaya’s contribution to his club, Manchester City, cannot be quantified. The edge Yaya has over Mikel is his goal scoring prowess. In the 2012/13 season Yaya scored a total of six goals as against Mikel’s zero.

Emenike on his part would be drawing his strength from his performance at the 2013 Nations Cup, where he won the Highest Goal Scorer Award, but his achievement at his former club, Spartak Moscow, cannot fetch him the needed points to deny Mikel of the award.

While Moses was not a regular for Chelsea last season, he played a formidable role in Nigeria’s emergence as the reigning African champions.

Since Mikel posted an outstanding showing to ensure Toure’s team were ousted from the Nations Cup, it makes it a lot easier for the Nigerian to grab the CAF award.
Minus Yaya, Mikel is the best African player at this moment
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by okeyokeyjah(m): 5:40am On Sep 28, 2013
*R E S P E C T*
The good son of Obi

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Boyano: 5:50am On Sep 28, 2013
wandevincent: YES
I was not willing to comment but ur stupidity made me to u quoted dis lng post jst to say 'yes'
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Boyano: 5:51am On Sep 28, 2013
I was not willing to comment but ur stupidity made me to u quoted dis lng post jst to say 'yes'
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by faaz24: 6:28am On Sep 28, 2013
1 goal in 7 seasons nd suddenly he should win africas best player award ? Abeg park well !!!
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by sarutobie(m): 6:32am On Sep 28, 2013
COOLDUN: There many factors which CAF uses to determine the winner of the African best player award. All these are picked from your achievements in your team, national team.

I am not a fan to Mikel but I believe that he has achieved 95% of them, from winning the European Champions league, African Nations Cup, English Premier League, FA Cup, Carling/Capital One, Europa Cup, most of us don’t know the politics that is being played by the Issa Hayatou and his Francophone countries in the CAF headquarter in Cairo, they always want everything to go to their people, Yaya Toure is scoring goals while Mikel is defending goals for Chelsea too. This time around I think that Mikel deserve the Title, scoring goals or nothing.

When Thomas Nkono of Cameroon won it he was a goal keeper, how many goals did he score then? Nigerians please value what you have.
The only poster without a dark veil over his eyes.both FIFA and CAF awards are laced with politics,it isn't by scoring goals.consistency,achievment and (sometimes) popularity also matters..and we can agree that Mikel has been consistent in his role hence every coach in chelsea found him irreplaceable since 2005.Achievments nko? Europa,Uefa,Afcon,EPL,FA cup,Capital One(formerly Carling) cup,he has won it all with an enviable number of caps in club and country and he is still getting started..aubameyang, moses and co are newbies..

1 Like

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by joshuaidibia(m): 6:47am On Sep 28, 2013
Just gv d dog a bone to feast on. He has been barking for far 2 long.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Emisco1(m): 6:51am On Sep 28, 2013
faaz24: 1 goal in 7 seasons nd suddenly he should win africas best player award ? Abeg park well !!!
u nd ur oda folower xayin 1goal stuf re headles fowl. U mst surly 5n xcus 2gv. Even b4 mikel score dt goal,evry1 has tip hm 2 win dt award xo jst sharap. Anti-nigeria/chelsea.@seun pls dre shuld b sum no go areas 4 non nigerians
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by size38: 6:52am On Sep 28, 2013
NO. He is not
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by yoged(m): 6:58am On Sep 28, 2013
iamswizz: 16th to comment.
den suppose attach your empty barrel head to a bomb and let it blown out.... @ op. I think mikel deserve it. He has been ever regular with both club and country.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by busterr(m): 7:13am On Sep 28, 2013
Bleep yaya, mikel is awesome! cheesy
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Lashifon: 7:14am On Sep 28, 2013
no mikel....no african best player.....wat are u guys saying self.....is it until wen mikel kills himself dat u guys will believe he plays well......MIKEL IS DE AFRICAN BEST PLAYER OF DE YEAR::
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by chucky234(m): 7:32am On Sep 28, 2013
Its not just Mikel and Yaya alone, Victor Moses is a more serious contender because he is going to get enough playing time with Liverpool this season and will surely score goals.
He scored 10 goals in all competition for Chelsea last season with 4 of the goals scored in Europa league,he was also instrumental to Super Eagles AFCON victory.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by econaj: 7:38am On Sep 28, 2013
nedu2000: Nomination, ‎​yes but yaya toure is the better player
,itz nt about the better player,rather wat he achieved last yr
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Humphreydis(m): 7:44am On Sep 28, 2013
......must u copy n paste d whole post just to comment "YES"...mtcheew!
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Humphreydis(m): 7:47am On Sep 28, 2013
ebamma: yaya toure should win it
.....Arab!...utd fan.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Aseeperi: 7:48am On Sep 28, 2013
BabaAlabi: No..The award should go to a player that has represented Africa internationally and locally and for me that player is Yaya Toure.
u are oviously a leaner?
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 28, 2013
grin[quote author=omar22]Yaya Toure is head and shoulders better than Mikel...
Na u village me be passenger ooh grin[quote author=omar22]Yaya Toure is head and shoulders better than Mikel...
Na u village me be passenger ooh
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Husmern(m): 8:47am On Sep 28, 2013
Criticism apart, mikel shd b given award directly...i'm neva a blue fan but we shd at least suport our own blood apart 4rm dt considerin his achievemnt ova yaya...rememba, yaya neva won anytin & outplayed by mikel in d nations cup
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by iszyboy(m): 9:19am On Sep 28, 2013
Have you guys forgotten so soon that kelvin prince boateng has retired from international duty? which automatically disqualify him from the award. Have you also forgotten that in 2008 abou treka of egypt correct me if am wrong in the spelling,won AFCON,CAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE,EGYPTIAN LEAGUE AND SEMI-FINALT in WORLD CLUB CUP, bt adebayor who didnt win any trophy won the award? have you also forgotten that in 2010 samuel eto' fills won UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE,WORLD CLUB CUP,ITALIAN SERIAL A and ITALIAN SUPER CUP, but drogba who only won premierleague nd fa cup won the award? have you also forgotten that in 2012, drogba won UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and F.A Cup single handedle,but yaya toure who only won premier league won the award? for those of you saying that mikel derserves the award cus he won EUROPA LEAGUE and AFCON,dont also forget that moses outshined mikel in AFCON and EUROPA LEAGUE and also musa won RUSSIAN LEAGUE,RUSSIAN F.A Cup,AFCON,RUSSIAN SUPER CUP. Although the award is by voting, but your perfomrance matters which we all knows that yaya toure performs better than mikel this year be it club or international.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Ikenna94: 9:24am On Sep 28, 2013
royale442: wrong! man of the match in the final was pitropia.
shut up, pitroipa was man of the tournament. Goto caf website.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Ikenna94: 9:29am On Sep 28, 2013
Jarus:

Cannavaro didn't score goals before winning WPOTY 2006. You don't need to score goals before your work is recognized. Scoring goal is jusst a plus for defensive midfielder.
my man u are so onpoint i wish i can buy one bottle for u
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Ikenna94: 9:32am On Sep 28, 2013
iszyboy: Have you guys forgotten so soon that kelvin prince boateng has retired from international duty? which automatically disqualify him from the award. Have you also forgotten that in 2008 abou treka of egypt correct me if am wrong in the spelling,won AFCON,CAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE,EGYPTIAN LEAGUE AND SEMI-FINALT in WORLD CLUB CUP, bt adebayor who didnt win any trophy won the award? have you also forgotten that in 2010 samuel eto' fills won UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE,WORLD CLUB CUP,ITALIAN SERIAL A and ITALIAN SUPER CUP, but drogba who only won premierleague nd fa cup won the award? have you also forgotten that in 2012, drogba won UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and F.A Cup single handedle,but yaya toure who only won premier league won the award? for those of you saying that mikel derserves the award cus he won EUROPA LEAGUE and AFCON,dont also forget that moses outshined mikel in AFCON and EUROPA LEAGUE and also musa won RUSSIAN LEAGUE,RUSSIAN F.A Cup,AFCON,RUSSIAN SUPER CUP. Although the award is by voting, but your perfomrance matters which we all knows that yaya toure performs better than mikel this year be it club or international.
u are talking trash, which internationally,is it when italy and japan dat cant even stand us where trashing ivory coast.

1 Like

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Wahala90: 9:57am On Sep 28, 2013
Owo Lee: After waiting for seven years, Super Eagles and Chelsea FC of England midfielder, John Obi Mikel, finally scored his first English Premier League goal against Fulham on Saturday, making him a strong contender for the Glo/CAF African Footballer Of The Year Award billed for Lagos next year.
Soccer loving Nigerians celebrated the goal with frenzy, with some calling jokingly on the Federal Government of Nigeria to declare seven days holiday to mark the end of Mikel’s goal drought. It may sound amazing but that was the wish of Nigerian football fans.

Football pundits in Nigeria are of the view that Mikel should be rewarded with the 2013 edition of the Glo/CAF African Footballer of The Year Award by the Confederation of African Football, CAF, judging by his recent performances.

With a 2013 African Cup of Nations medal, the UEFA Champions League and EUROPA League medals to his credit, some believe that it is time Mikel was crowned the best player in Africa.
Since Stephen Keshi was named as coach of the Super Eagles, Mikel has been a regular, with his sterling performance on the field as an added advantage for him if CAF wants to look in that direction in giving him the award. Mikel’s five star performances at the Nations Cup was pivotal to ending Nigeria’s 19 years wait before winning the AFCON tourney in South Africa early in the year.

The Super Eagles had an abysmal performance at the 2013 Confederations Cup held in Brazil but Mikel, the former Lyn Oslo of Norway player, was on the scorer’s sheet in the 6-1 bashing of little known Tahiti.

There are three other players standing in Mikel’s way for the award and they are his compatriots, Emmanuel Emenike of Fenerbahce of Turkey, Victor Moses, who is on loan to Liverpool from Chelsea and Cote d’Ivoire’s Yaya Toure.

Yaya’s country were strong favourites to defeat Nigeria and go ahead to lift the Nations Cup this year, but Mikel’s input in the semifinal clash went a long way in ensuring that Nigeria did not only deny Cote d’Ivoire a final berth but went ahead to lift the trophy.

Cote d’Ivoire failed to live up to their favourites’ tag at the Nations Cup but Yaya’s contribution to his club, Manchester City, cannot be quantified. The edge Yaya has over Mikel is his goal scoring prowess. In the 2012/13 season Yaya scored a total of six goals as against Mikel’s zero.

Emenike on his part would be drawing his strength from his performance at the 2013 Nations Cup, where he won the Highest Goal Scorer Award, but his achievement at his former club, Spartak Moscow, cannot fetch him the needed points to deny Mikel of the award.

While Moses was not a regular for Chelsea last season, he played a formidable role in Nigeria’s emergence as the reigning African champions.

Since Mikel posted an outstanding showing to ensure Toure’s team were ousted from the Nations Cup, it makes it a lot easier for the Nigerian to grab the CAF award.

Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Sagamite(m): 10:23am On Sep 28, 2013
justhelp: bro don't mind that dude he is trying to sell ghanian brand, but it a pity ghana player has no success for black star now, tell that we feel his pain and we were once in their shoe ghana should endure and wait for their time, cos we are going to the world cup as Africa champion, so for now no players in ghana can be rank in the same level as mikel and moses now.

Because you won the ACN, no player in Africa can be ranked the same as Mikel and Moses? grin
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by slimmingcare(f): 10:24am On Sep 28, 2013
Mikel deserves it
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by kimco(m): 10:30am On Sep 28, 2013
COOLDUN: There many factors which CAF uses to determine the winner of the African best player award. All these are picked from your achievements in your team, national team.

I am not a fan to Mikel but I believe that he has achieved 95% of them, from winning the European Champions league, African Nations Cup, English Premier League, FA Cup, Carling/Capital One, Europa Cup, most of us don’t know the politics that is being played by the Issa Hayatou and his Francophone countries in the CAF headquarter in Cairo, they always want everything to go to their people, Yaya Toure is scoring goals while Mikel is defending goals for Chelsea too. This time around I think that Mikel deserve the Title, scoring goals or nothing.

When Thomas Nkono of Cameroon won it he was a goal keeper, how many goals did he score then? Nigerians please value what you have.

Chelsea won the epl, ucl and fa last season? I did not know that. look Mikel is not ready dude, however u see it, he's jux not. But rest assured he would be. Yaya has got this in the bag. Ur trophies don't mean as much as u think. technically, yaya is jux better. That's why sneider didn't even make it in the final 3 of the fifa world best player after the world cup. He won ucl, won his league his fa, nearly won the world cup and still messi won the accolade.
Re: Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? by Sagamite(m): 10:32am On Sep 28, 2013

What kinds of fucktards are these ffs?

Why is it that products of a failed education system's explanation and solution to everything is "Us vs Them", evident by unsubstantiated conjectures of conspiracy?

Cretin, when Nigeria was winning AFoY rampantly in the 90s was it a Charlie Powell and Ricky Charlton that were running CAF? Hayatou then did not want everything to go to "their people" (THEM, the frequent basis of illiterate fucktards)? According to person products of a failed education system: Once someone that is not "one of us" is in charge, "they" are conspiring to put "us" at a disadvantage. "They" hate "us"!!!

To you happiness and satisfaction is if "one of us" wins? As long as he comes from a country colonised by the British? grin

So did Mikel win the European Champions league, African Nations Cup, English Premier League, FA Cup, Carling/Capital One and Europa Cup in 2012-2013 season or one year? Or in your moronic understanding, you did not realise AFoY is offered based on your season/year?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Chelsea Fan Admits Verbally Abusing Manchester City Ace Raheem Sterling (Photos) / Henry Onyekuru Dances Zanku, Shaku Shaku And Gbe Body Eh At Entrance Show / Top 19 Jersey For Russia 2018 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.