Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,800 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? (1600 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Parenting Your Child Abroad As A Naija Born Somebody Isnt For Everyone / Parents: Your Child"s First Funny Words (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Ifems(m): 3:46pm On Sep 26, 2013
Can someone tell me why Nigeria's rich and famous like to have their children abroad.I feel it doesn't make sense.
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Travelista(f): 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2013
Some people do it so their child have a certain passport (really only works in a few places), because they can afford to do so and because they have reservations about mother and baby receiving sufficient medical care in Nigeria.

I would have my kids somewhere fun like Thailand, India or Argentina.
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Ifems(m): 6:15pm On Sep 26, 2013
For me i think its rubbish.Why would i do that?,the best and only thing you can give to your child is a sound education and a sense of belonging not giving him an impression that he's not supposed to be from a certain region.
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 26, 2013
eerrmm, so that their children can become citizens of those countries.

Its about giving your children better opportunities or simply an alternate choice of living.

Plus, it's not only the rich and famous that does it.
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 26, 2013
With the rate at which pregnant women are dropping like flies during childbirth in Nigeria, it would be almost silly for anyone who can afford it not to go deliver abroad.

Read this and weep!

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=ni&v=2223
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 26, 2013
OP is male and thinking more of the money he will spend than the health of his wife.

If you got the cash, send her to a good hospital , abroad or not but you will agree that there are more sophisticated hospital abroad.

My dear, when you grow ur first beard, u will understand.
Until then, just focus on your studies.

Dats my boy!

* taps his head*

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 26, 2013
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CATk4oaZdOQ

@ile
Wow Nigeria is number 10 on the list. That is depressing.
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by jmoore(m): 10:17pm On Sep 26, 2013
I am not obsessed with the abroad syndrome.
There are good hospitals in Nigeria but some women fall into hands of the bad ones.
A family friend who opened her maternity has never recorded any death for more than 18 years.
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 26, 2013
I guess the reasons are obvious. Better medical care and passport (especially in the US). The more important one is better medical care. I have had some close family member lose their children due to gross negligence and incompetence of out medical staff. God heals but if you can afford it, its not a bad idea having kids abroad these days. Your leaders wouldnt even think twice before going abroad!

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Hotstepper(f): 10:41pm On Sep 26, 2013
Had mine abroad and loved it after i.almost died wen I was almost 4 months preggy. I won't think twice going again to have my other kids

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Stunner1(f): 2:44am On Sep 27, 2013
Nashville: I guess the reasons are obvious. Better medical care and passport (especially in the US). The more important one is better medical care. I have had some close family member lose their children due to gross negligence and incompetence of out medical staff. God heals but if you can afford it, its not a bad idea having kids abroad these days. Your leaders wouldnt even think twice before going abroad!

very trueee
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Ifems(m): 8:43am On Sep 27, 2013
Chillisauce: OP is male and thinking more of the money he will spend than the health of his wife.

If you got the cash, send her to a good hospital , abroad or not but you will agree that there are more sophisticated hospital abroad.

My dear, when you grow ur first beard, u will understand.
Until then, just focus on your studies.

Dats my boy!

* taps his head*
I want to make it clear to you that it's not because of health issues but for the hype and for them to acquire some birth citizenship...Are you saying that Nigerian hospitals can't deliver safely?you must be joking because 96% of the Nigerian population were born in Nigeria even you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 27, 2013
Ifems: Can someone tell me why Nigeria's rich and famous like to have their children abroad.I feel it doesn't make sense.
If I could, I would. I know just how backward the Nigerian healthcare system is. I used to think like you till I got pregnant, then I realised how backward our system is,then factor in the attitude of the birth attendants in Nigerian hospitals ( I don't want to name specific professions but you know where I'm going)... in Nigeria, pregnant women who go to hospitals are in almost the same boat with those who decide to go to church to give birth, it's just chance. maternal mortality rate is 3.2% that mean 3.2 out of every 100 women who give birth here and infant mortality rate is 7.4 per 100. And from where I stand I see so many deaths that can be avoided. Men I could go on and on but the truth is if I could afford it, no hesitation. Getting the best healthcare you can afford, no matter the price tag is the smartest thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 27, 2013
Ifems: I want to make it clear to you that it's not because of health issues but for the hype and for them to acquire some birth citizenship...Are you saying that Nigerian hospitals can't deliver safely?you must be joking because 96% of the Nigerian population were born in Nigeria even you.

You are right and some people dont even go to hospital to give birth. That shows how simple it can be sometimes. 90% of pregnancies are straight forward. The problem is the remaining 10% that may have complications. Do our hispitals have the expertise, equipment and most importantly the professionalism to adequately manage the complications. Now that is why people go abroad, just incase there are complications, they can be detected earlier and better managed in foregin hospitals.

2 Likes

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 27, 2013
Women troop abroad to give birth bc of citizenship. Period.Those that hv medical emergencies r sent by their doctors.
The rest r excuses.
We know the truth abeg. No need sugarcoating it.
I think it was one of d reasons british govt stamped 5yrs residency for d baby before citizenship is obtained. Go to d british embassy, d number reduced drastically after this.
I don't know where they go to these days.
And as we want this citizenship thing by fire by force, some husbands will send their wives over there to stay. Lots of technocrats do that.
Its not only d rich and mighty.
Even civil servants want such too.
Do u blame anybody?
I don't o.
Nigeria is just a big dream

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 27, 2013
Hotstepper: Had mine abroad and loved it after i.almost died wen I was almost 4 months preggy. I won't think twice going again to have my other kids

Thought you reside abroad (Canada). . .

As for me, if I can I surely will! Who doesn't want the best for their kids? wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 27, 2013
See all o'dem faking like the sole reason why we as Nigerians travel abroad for child birth is solely for the lack of medical facilities.

You can afford your travelling expenses but you can't afford to get registered in a good hospital in Nigeria, I hear una.

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Hotstepper(f): 9:50pm On Sep 27, 2013
Phema I used to but have even in Nigeria since ooo
Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
Hotstepper: Phema I used to but have even in Nigeria since ooo

Oh, really? Welcome home dear. Hope you're adjusting well. But please, always go back there to have your kids. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by Chinwem(f): 3:18am On Sep 28, 2013
Whatever the reason is - efizzy or genuine medical condition - if you can afford it go and have your child abroad jor!!!!
If you like diss those who can afford, it won't stop them from going
Nigerian healthcare enwero isi

Ain't nobody got time for answering to haters when health of your family is concerned

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by laraniyi(f): 6:14am On Sep 28, 2013
Ii used to say it does not matter where you have your baby; until 2 things happened.
1. A friend died of child-birth just because of a minor issue that a nigerian hospital could not handle and 2, when i discovered that it cost the same, i mean the same to have your baby in an Atlanta Hospital in the US as it cost in a normal private hospital in nigeria. Do your research you will be amazed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Would You Have Your Child Abroad? by bebe2(f): 8:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
The obvious has been said, compassion is another, wen i think of the birth of all my kids I feel like having more.

D nurses are nice, respect u. D minute I call they rush to my side.

Me: Lilian am still in pain dat pethidine does'nt seem to have worked.

Nurse.: U dnt need anymore. Get off the bed let me give u a massage it helps.

Wen my mum told d story of my birth I felt like going back there to fight d nurses.

Madam stop shouting nah, u don first born before abi. ?
Dis ni be number one, no be number two and u dey cry like small pikin.

They left my mum there and she had me on her. Its another patient dat wen to tell them dat my mum has had d baby before they ran over to help.

Abeg dat place get wahala.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

‘I Got HIV While Looking For A Child’ / A Story Of Abuse / AMAZING TWINS "No One Believes These Girls Are Twins"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.