Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? (3369 Views)

Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / What Is The New Covenant, And What Is The Old Covenant? / The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by bizmahn: 2:14am On Sep 28, 2013
Ray McBlue: The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully, then in the New testament, he became a diplomat. Why the sudden turnaround?
Unfair criticism.The old testament showcases God's holy anger against sin & disobedience without repentance & perfect blood sacrifice.The new testament displays God's mercy,patience & forbearance in the midst of extreme sinfulness all because of the perfect blood sacrifice of Jesus.
This mercy & patience however is only temporal & full wrath & judgement falls on the ungodly sinful when their cup is full.The anger of God displayed because of sin in the old testament tells us what the sacrifice of Jesus did as witnessed by the temporal forbearance of God towards sin in the new testament.

4 Likes

Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by luluosas(m): 6:21am On Sep 28, 2013
noblefada: @OP good one. I think I'll just contribute here, but I'm going in deep!
The question of the old & new covenants have always bin very confusing n complicated to many xtians, but a diligent study should clarify it. Let say this, the old convenant was an erratic shadow of who God is, that was handed down to the Israelites! It was so bad that it was not inspired of the Holy Ghost, but God had to ordained in the hands of an Angel. Yes for those of you who don't know, it was an Angel that gave Moses the law (u can imagine not even the HS) and u trying to compare that with a convenant that was rectified using the precious blood of Christ!
May God forgive your ignorance in Jesus name. Amen.
2 Timothy 3:16 ESV
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.

Exodus 31:18 NLT
When the LORD finished speaking with Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant, written by the finger of God.

Deuteronomy 9:10 NLT
The LORD gave me the two tablets
on which God had written with his own finger all the words he had spoken to you
from the heart of the fire when you were assembled at the mountain.

1 Like

Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Alwaystrue(f): 6:25am On Sep 28, 2013
Hebrews 9:16-17
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The Old Convenant took effect on the Israelites ONLY AFTER the sacrifice of blood. But before the convenant took effect God had to give His laws, statutes and judgements (ordinances) FIRST. The blood of the bulls and sheep simply SEALED the bond.

But because the people could not fulfil their part and infact did so much evil, God has to send His Son Jesus Christ to avert the imminent curse on the earth.
Malachi 4:5-6
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

And the word of God in Malachi was fulfilled below when Jesus was speaking of John the Baptist, who had come to prepare the way.
Matthew 11:14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

And Jesus finally came, born of a woman, under the law (Galatians 4:4) to redeem those under the law as seen by some of the deliverances from devils miracles He did.
So THE WORD OF GOD BECAME FLESH.
John 1:14,17
And the WORD WAS MADE FLESH, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH
17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished IN HIS FLESH the ENMITY, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances ; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, AND took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

It was while Jesus was IN THE FLESH that He abolished the law of commandments CONTAINED in ordinances (Exodus chapter 21-24)that was causing enmity between Jews and Gentiles....Read the story of the Samaritan woman for example in John 4, and the commission to take the gospel to the end of the earth (totally different from just Israel alone). Also read Matthew 5 and see where He was abolishing the judgements for going against those ordinances. e.g. Eye for eye etc. It was at His death that he TOTALLY TOOK IT OUT OF THE WAY by nailing it to the cross being a sacrifice for sins. The 10 commandments were not the ordinances. Jesus was even very angry when the traditions of men were put over the law of God. Tithe and offerings were already before the law and are not the ordinances often misconstrues in Malachi 3:7 as that scripture is not talking about Malachi 3:8....verse 7 was already answered in verse 7.

That is why scriptures says: Jesus is the end of the law FOR righteousness to them that believe (Romans 10:4) because the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us when we walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:3-4) and you believe in Christ by believing His words (John 5:24) as well as the finished work on the cross. (John 19:30)

Why? Because all Jesus did and said while He was IN THE Flesh was THE TESTAMENT (THE TRUTH AND GRACE) which was only SEALED at His death by BLOOD. Hence the NEW CONVENANT!

Matthew 26:28 for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many

To read more on this and also the transfiguration, continue in https://www.nairaland.com/1455684/what-seem-difference-between-old#18398498
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by PastorOluT(m): 6:56am On Sep 28, 2013
Alwaystrue: Hebrews 9:16-17
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The Old Convenant took effect on the Israelites ONLY AFTER the sacrifice of blood. But before the convenant took effect God had to give His laws, statutes and judgements (ordinances) FIRST. The blood of the bulls and sheep simply SEALED the bond.

But because the people could not fulfil their part and infact did so much evil, God has to send His Son Jesus Christ to avert the imminent curse on the earth.
Malachi 4:5-6
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

And the word of God in Malachi was fulfilled below when Jesus was speaking of John the Baptist, who had come to prepare the way.
Matthew 11:14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

And Jesus finally came, born of a woman, under the law (Galatians 4:4) to redeem those under the law as seen by some of the deliverances from devils miracles He did.
So THE WORD OF GOD BECAME FLESH.
John 1:14,17
And the WORD WAS MADE FLESH, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH
17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished IN HIS FLESH the ENMITY, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances ; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, AND took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

It was while Jesus was IN THE FLESH that He abolished the law of commandments CONTAINED in ordinances (Exodus chapter 21-24)that was causing enmity between Jews and Gentiles....Read the story of the Samaritan woman for example in John 4, and the commission to take the gospel to the end of the earth (totally different from just Israel alone). Also read Matthew 5 and see where He was abolishing the judgements for going against those ordinances. e.g. Eye for eye etc. It was at His death that he TOTALLY TOOK IT OUT OF THE WAY by nailing it to the cross being a sacrifice for sins. The 10 commandments were not the ordinances. Jesus was even very angry when the traditions of men were put over the law of God. Tithe and offerings were already before the law and are not the ordinances often misconstrues in Malachi 10:7 as that scripture is not talking about Malachi 10:8....verse 7 was already answered in verse 7.

That is why scriptures says: Jesus is the end of the law FOR righteousness to them that believe (Romans 10:4) because the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us when we walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:3-4) and you believe in Christ by believing His words (John 5:24) as well as the finished work on the cross. (John 19:30)

Why? Because all Jesus did and said while He was IN THE Flesh was THE TESTAMENT (THE TRUTH AND GRACE) which was only SEALED at His death by BLOOD. Hence the NEW CONVENANT!

Matthew 26:28 for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many

To read more on this and also the transfiguration, continue in https://www.nairaland.com/1455684/what-seem-difference-between-old#18398498

Incisive God bless u sis, and Bro Goshen thank U for that exposition, God bless u real good.
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by luluosas(m): 7:48am On Sep 28, 2013
I am sure the essence of this thread is speaking mainly about the WRITTEN LAWS OF MOSES in the Old Testament, not necessarily the ENTIRE BOOK of the Old Testament, as against the COVENANT OF BLOOD that Jesus shared on the cross. I hope my guest is right.
Though not drawing a conclusion of comparison between the two books here (Old Testament and New Testament) but, I want to say that, outside the shedding of the blood of Jesus Christ Hebrews 9:12, which brings about the new covenant, the interpretation of the WRITTEN LAWS that Jesus handed over to us even in the new covenant, is more harder, stiffer, stricter, difficult Matthew 5:21-48, as compared to the WRITTEN LAWS of Moses itself in practice Exodus 20:13, 14, 7, Leviticus 24:20; 19:18.
In concluding, let's remember that the new covenant in the blood of Jesus Christ Matthew 26:28 did not in anyway suspended or abolished, or make of no effect the book of the Old Testament in principles and in practice Matthew 5:17. Hence, Jesus made no preferences between the Old Testament and the New Testament, when He was handing out the warnings as regards obedience to the word of God in Revelation 22:18-19, which was actually a direct reference to Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32. This is again in collaboration to the fact that 'every word of God is pure and should not be added to' Proverbs 30:5-6.
God bless you all.
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by noblefada: 9:05am On Sep 28, 2013
luluosas:
May God forgive your ignorance in Jesus name. Amen.
2 Timothy 3:16 ESV
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.

Exodus 31:18 NLT
When the LORD finished speaking with Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant, written by the finger of God.

Deuteronomy 9:10 NLT
The LORD gave me the two tablets
on which God had written with his own finger all the words he had spoken to you
from the heart of the fire when you were assembled at the mountain.
Sorry Bro u're the ignorant one here. The 2 Tim u quoted said all scriptures not all LAWS! and d other scriptures where all from the old testament. Pls rather than call me ignorant u would have ask me to substantiate my opinion from the scriptures. The scriptures is profitable for teaching, correction n reprove.
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by noblefada: 9:20am On Sep 28, 2013
Let me buttress on what @goshen was saying in Exodus 19 about the Israelites rejecting God's covenant of Grace n embracing the law: Exo 19:5-6 NET And now, if you will diligently listen to me and keep my covenant, then you will be my special possession out of all the nations, for all the earth is mine, 6 and you will be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you will speak to the Israelites.” this what God wanted, but the people rejected it and rather said that Moses n Aaron should be their mediator after the encounter of God coming down in a smoking clouds. Now Apostle Peter understood this desire of God and after the finished work of Christ, he re-echoed God's mind in 1Pe 2:9-10 NET But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own, so that you may proclaim the virtues of the one who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. You once were not a people, but now you are God’s people. You were shown no mercy, but now you have received mercy. He lighted straight from Exodus 19:5&6 quoted above.

1 Like

Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by luluosas(m): 10:32am On Sep 28, 2013
noblefada:
Sorry Bro u're the ignorant one here. The 2 Tim u quoted said all scriptures not all LAWS! and d other scriptures where all from the old testament. Pls rather than call me ignorant u would have ask me to substantiate my opinion from the scriptures. The scriptures is profitable for teaching, correction n reprove.
What is scripture then? And what stops you from quoting where Angels were the ones that gave Moses the law and not God as you claimed?
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Goshen360(m): 10:52am On Sep 28, 2013
luluosas:
What is scripture then? And what stops you from quoting where Angels were the ones that gave Moses the law and not God as you claimed?

Every thing written in scriptures doesn't apply to you as a Christian to follow and\or obey. The dispensation of the Law was for people 'under the law' but you, Christians are not 'under the law', of Moses. As for the scriptures you requested,

Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it (the law) was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Expanded Bible (EXB)
So what was the law for? It was ·given to show that the wrong things people do are against God’s will [L added because of transgressions]. And it continued until the ·special descendant [seed], who had been promised, came. The law was given through angels [Acts 7:53; Heb. 2:2] ·who used Moses for a mediator to give the law to people [ by the hand of a mediator/intermediary].

Galatians 3:19

Expanded Bible (EXB)
You received the law of Moses, which God gave you through his angels [Gal. 3:19; Heb. 2:2], but you haven’t obeyed it.” Acts 7:53

1 Like

Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by noblefada: 11:14am On Sep 28, 2013
luluosas:
Ok, before I start let me tell in the epistles we see the explanations of the OT. The following scriptures validate what I said earlier:
Stephen's testimony Act 7:51-53 KJV 51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. 52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.
Gal 3:19 KJV Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Heb 2:2 KJV For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; That's throughout the giving of the law in exodus, leviticus, numbers n deutronomy you will never hear or see Moses write and the Spirit of God came upon or will you see the Holy Spirit mentioned there. Interesting enough the Spirit of Christ was there with them but allowed the Angels to give the law 1Co 10:1-4 KJV 1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

1 Like

Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Joshthefirst(m): 11:15am On Oct 17, 2013
@alwaystrue: thank you very much for that teaching. I've read it, and I understand it. I'll still study more on the subject.

@goshen: I also read the exposition you wrote.

Alwaystrue:Is there any disagreement between what you wrote and what goshen wrote? Because I reconciled the two perfectly?
If there are any disagreements, please kindly point them ma'am.
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Alwaystrue(f): 2:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
@Joshthefirst,
Thanks to God only.
Please do more study.

I think you should highlight any disagreement you see as I do not quite understand the reason for the question.

We are talking about convenants here. A convenant is an agreement between 2 people based on previously stated wills, words, terms or testaments.

In summary:
The Old Convenant was an agreement where God says do my commands which he gave and the people say we will do and be obedient (Exodus 24:7)
Why this could not work is because the people could not do of themselves because of unbelief and fleshly works, except with the help of God.

So the New Convenant was:
Jesus says do and I will teach and help you do God's will if you BELIEVE me and my WORDS not forgetting Jesus words are the life, truth and the correct way to do things. John 14:26; Philipians 2:13.
So while on earth Jesus is the teacher and He promised to send another teacher and comforter to take over after He leaves as seen in John 14:26.
Now the Holy Spirit WILLs and DOES in us God's pleasure.
And this is what it means that it is only those who Walk in the Spirit that are Not under the law...when people try to use their flesh to do some thing, they will not get it right for the flesh cannot please God.

That is the difference between the two convenant or agreements.

I hope you better understand now.

1 Like

Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by PastorOluT(m): 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Joshthefirst,
Thanks to God only.
Please do more study.

I think you should highlight any disagreement you see as I do not quite understand the reason for the question.

We are talking about convenants here. A convenant is an agreement between 2 people based on previously stated wills, words, terms or testaments.

In summary:
The Old Convenant was an agreement where God says do my commands which he gave and the people say we will do and be obedient (Exodus 24:7)
Why this could not work is because the people could not do of themselves because of unbelief and fleshly works, except with the help of God.

So the New Convenant was:
Jesus says do and I will teach and help you do God's will if you BELIEVE me and my WORDS not forgetting Jesus words are the life, truth and the correct way to do things. John 14:26; Philipians 2:13.
So while on earth Jesus is the teacher and He promised to send another teacher and comforter to take over after He leaves as seen in John 14:26.
Now the Holy Spirit WILLs and DOES in us God's pleasure.
And this is what it means that it is only those who Walk in the Spirit that are Not under the law...when people try to use their flesh to do some thing, they will not get it right for the flesh cannot please God.

That is the difference between the two convenant or agreements.

I hope you better understand now.
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Alwaystrue(f): 7:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
@Josh,
I forgot to add the convenant scriptures themselves, please see them below in Amplified version:

Old Testament
Exodus 24:8
And Moses took the [remaining half of the] blood and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant which the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words.

The first half of blood of the animals was sprinkled on the altar (Exodus 24:6) signifying the place for atonement for sins.

New Testament
Matthew 26:28
For this is My blood of the new covenant, which [ratifies the agreement and] is being poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Same thing here as well. The blood of Jesus sealed the convenant and atones for sin. The blood played a dual role in both instances.

1 Like

Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Joshthefirst(m): 7:26pm On Oct 17, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Josh,
I forgot to add the convenant scriptures themselves, please see them below in Amplified version:

Old Testament
Exodus 24:8
And Moses took the [remaining half of the] blood and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant which the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words.

The first half of blood of the animals was sprinkled on the altar (Exodus 24:6) signifying the place for atonement for sins.

New Testament
Matthew 26:28
For this is My blood of the new covenant, which [ratifies the agreement and] is being poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Same thing here as well. The blood of Jesus sealed the convenant and atones for sin. The blood played a dual role in both instances.
thank you ma'am
Please check your mail
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Joshthefirst(m): 7:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
@ alwaystrue: I've tried to reply but it says your a message, but it says your account doesn't exist.
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Alwaystrue(f): 9:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
@Josh,
Due to the frequency of emails I have received recently I set up the email on my device and there was a little error in the address which your post made me realise, and I have now corrected it. Sorry about that, please.
Please check your email now.
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Joshthefirst(m): 10:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Josh,
Due to the frequency of emails I have received recently I set up the email on my device and there was a little error in the address which your post made me realise, and I have now corrected it. Sorry about that, please.
Please check your email now.
okay ma'am. I've replied. Thanks
Re: What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? by Oluwason(m): 7:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
PastorOluT: Going over threads and listening to different arguments, I am moved to open this thread. Some believe that we still have to hold on to the law of Moses despite the new covenant, while some say this is not important because we have a new and better covenant.
So this thread is opened to interested parties to come and establish their believes according to the scriptures. This is not to argue but for we all to learn!

Simple, Christ is the difference between the Old and the New.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Islam A Religion Of Peace? / Is God Male, Female, Or Both? / Was It Destiny, Fate Or Predestination That Saved You from that accident or got you that job ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.