Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? (4406 Views)

My New ACURA MDX 2002 Engine Light indicator Is Flashing / Help!speedometer On 2009 Is Not Working And Abs/brake Light On / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by azat: 11:17am On Sep 28, 2013
A 2000 model LX Honda Accord was delivered to me last week and I just discovered the break indicator light now comes on and remain so even when driving.

Please should I be worried about this ? Does it show the break is bad

Please kindly help, It is my first car.

Thanks
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by Ikenna351(m): 1:14pm On Sep 28, 2013
Your query is not clear enough.

Is it the brake light at the car tail or brake warning light/bulb on the instrument that is lit?

Ikenna.
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 28, 2013
go and buy brake fluid, ask your mechanic to show you the compartment. top it up.

if it repeats soonest, then your brake is leaking from one of the four tyre points. the mechanic should trace the leak and you go and purchase the dissembled parts and he fixes it/them back for you....

as a new car owner, a car is very simple to understand, if you don't see it that way, your mechanic go chop you wella.
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by Mcoldsoja(m): 6:49pm On Sep 28, 2013
It's not advisable to just top up brake fluid without first getting the root cause which could be one of the ffg: leakage in the lines , worn brake pads and shoes (as the case may be).
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by azat: 9:11pm On Sep 28, 2013
Ikenna351: Your query is not clear enough.

Is it the brake light at the car tail or brake warning light/bulb on the instrument that is lit?

Ikenna.
Thanks Ikenna. I meant the warning ligjt on the intrument. Your input will be appreciated.
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by azat: 9:13pm On Sep 28, 2013
okpara ugo: go and buy brake fluid, ask your mechanic to show you the compartment. top it up.

if it repeats soonest, then your brake is leaking from one of the four tyre points. the mechanic should trace the leak and you go and purchase the dissembled parts and he fixes it/them back for you....

as a new car owner, a car is very simple to understand, if you don't see it that way, your mechanic go chop you wella.
Thank you bro. Will check that. Please can you give me a fore knowledge of the type of fluid to use for the model of the car?
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by azat: 9:14pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mc oldsoja: It's not advisable to just top up brake fluid without first getting the root cause which could be one of the ffg: leakage in the lines , worn brake pads and shoes (as the case may be).
Ok. So is there any way I can differentiate these different possibilities while driving the car? Thanks
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by Mcoldsoja(m): 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2013
reduced brake effectiveness for leak and increased pedal travel for pads.
If yu are a DIY person, you can carry out the inspection yourself.
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 28, 2013
If the handbrake light is lit check to ensure that d parking brake is totally disengaged, drive slowly and observe if the car drags even slightly. If it doesn't drag even after the handbrake mechanism is disengaged, then its either the wiring of the handbrake is breached or even the car has been tampered with prior to you taking delivery of the car.
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by steffans(m): 11:13pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mine was on some tym bck after I changed my back break pad...
I use d same accord 2000 model...

Its either 1. D break pad was changed without it bin put back well...
2. D Calipher holding aNd releasing ur hand brake is faulty...

Fixing it may nt even take 10mins and shuld nt cost u more dan N200 4 workmanship unless if u change and buy sum oda thngs...

Cheers Mate!!!!
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by azat: 9:42am On Sep 29, 2013
Mc oldsoja: reduced brake effectiveness for leak and increased pedal travel for pads.
If yu are a DIY person, you can carry out the inspection yourself.
Ok..but what's a DIY person
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by azat: 9:45am On Sep 29, 2013
steffans: Mine was on some tym bck after I changed my back break pad...
I use d same accord 2000 model...

Its either 1. D break pad was changed without it bin put back well...
2. D Calipher holding aNd releasing ur hand brake is faulty...

Fixing it may nt even take 10mins and shuld nt cost u more dan N200 4 workmanship unless if u change and buy sum oda thngs...

Cheers Mate!!!!
Wow! Thanks...the break does not screech as if the pads are worn, but I feel there is sth not perfect about the handbrake. Will check it out and the fluid. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by azat: 9:49am On Sep 29, 2013
lomomike: If the handbrake light is lit check to ensure that d parking brake is totally disengaged, drive slowly and observe if the car drags even slightly. If it doesn't drag even after the handbrake mechanism is disengaged, then its either the wiring of the handbrake is breached or even the car has been tampered with prior to you taking delivery of the car.
Thank you. The handbrake light is not on..and it's always fully disengaged while I drive but I think the disengagement isnt as smooth as it should.
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by Mcoldsoja(m): 1:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
azat: Ok..but what's a DIY person
DIY- Do It Yourself
Re: Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? by azat: 5:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
Mc oldsoja:
DIY- Do It Yourself
Oh! I see. I'm just a newbie in auto stuffs, but One day I will. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz / Decision On Toyota Avalon 2002 / Bmw 325i(2002) Vs Mercedes Benz C320(2002)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.