Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,054 members, 7,835,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger (18672 Views)

SHOCKING PHOTOS: Fuel Tanker Crashes With 4 Vehicles In Enugu,42 Dead / Shekau Missing As Boko Haram Releases New Video / 18 Killed As Boat Capsized In Niger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 29, 2013
collynzo2: so once you can swim, you must be able to survive no matter the part of the river where your boat capsized? How many minutes / hours can you swim without getting tired? How many meters can you cover while swimming? Regarding the life jackets, poverty is the cause.

That's not the point of my post, read and digest. I can swim and I dare not go in a boat ride without asking for a life jacket!

But no need to explain. You are already passing blames about. Nigerians will never learn.....
It is poverty and Government that made them loose their senses and overload a boat.
It is poverty and Government that made them not to use life jackets. I don hear.

Gosh!
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Memyselfu2009(m): 2:44pm On Sep 29, 2013
Nigerians re just greedy there stupidity make them lost life I know the boat owner nd the conductor would he alive because they would know how to swim
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Afam4eva(m): 2:46pm On Sep 29, 2013
I always wonder if these people that their boats gets capsized don't know how to swim. How do you enter a boat or canoe without knowing how to swim.
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Afritop(m): 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2013
Out of 150 passengers on board, 100 are missing and 42 corpses recovered. How many now survived! This is worse than a plane mishap. President Jonathan should visit and correct the situation as he did in the Dana Plane mishap and not allow it to be swept under the carpet just because the victims are not influential
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by pharmow: 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2013
AGBOR-MAN:
In the western world , they called it "Health & Safety" common sense

But in Africa

We believe that "Miracle, or God will save us"

Wake up bros; use your common sense. We should help God to help us. Think "health & safety"
It is clearly written in the bible: Heaven help those that help themselves

May their soul R.I.P

Very good point. Do U know why people put all their believe on Miracle in Africa? because we lack quality education.
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by emmabest2000(m): 3:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
nickxtra: The State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, confirmed the casualty figure.
No fewer than 42 people were on Friday drowned in a boat mishap on River Niger close to Malilli Village in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that 100 others on board were missing in the mishap which occurred at about 2 p.m.
The Public Relations Officer of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Hussaini, confirmed the incident in a telephone interview on Saturday.
Mr. Hussaini said the incident occurred around 2 pm when the traders were returning from Malili Village back to Tunga Illo Village across the River Niger, after the day’s market.
He said the details were sketchy, but the boat which had over 150 passengers capsized midway and drowned 42 people, while 100 others were missing.
The spokesman said that local divers from Malili Village had recovered 42 corpses, while efforts were being intensified to rescue possible survivors or the corpse of those drowned.
“At the moment search and rescue is ongoing on the river.
“I will make the details of the incident later, but the agency has dispatch its officers to assist the villagers in the rescue efforts,’’ he said.
Mr. Hussaini said the recovered corpses would be given mass burial close to the river bank, adding that neighbouring villages had been alerted to look out for floating corpses.
The Secretary to the State Government, Saidu Ndako, confirmed the boat mishap.
“I received the information late in the night that a boat had capsized and 42 persons have drowned in the incident, while rescue operation is ongoing.
“We believe that the boat was overload because the boat’s capacity was put at 60 passengers, but over 150 passengers were said to be on board during the incident.
“The debris in the swollen river may also have been responsible for the incident,’’ Mr. Ndako said.
Mr. Ndako said that the government condoled with the family of those who had lost their loved ones, and pray that Allah grant them the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.
Source: (NAN)

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/145580-breaking-42-confirmed-dead-100-missing-niger-boat-mishap.html
Be merciful unto your children O'Lord be merciful be merciful Dear Lord be merciful unto your children
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Mccullum: 3:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
Big4wig, u're cruel with ur inhumanity, u can't even mourn those victims, idiot of u, had it one of ur love one amongs them, will u made such statement by using d name of christ for such evil comment. may d soul of victims RIP.
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by slimming: 3:42pm On Sep 29, 2013
Devil you have failed again. Thank u Jesus
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by jejelady(f): 3:53pm On Sep 29, 2013
I guess the boat had to capsize due to overloading.... over a hundred passengers on this little boat? Abi other boats dey involved?
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 29, 2013
Godsun2013: Who is to be blame? 60 seater, but 150 on board
You are asking who is to be blamed? GEJ of course. It is very unfortunate. God console those they have left behind.
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by collynzo2(m): 4:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva: I always wonder if these people that their boats gets capsized don't know how to swim. How do you enter a boat or canoe without knowing how to swim.
I'll give you the same reply I gave speedyboi.
so once you can swim, you must be able to survive no matter the part of the
river where your boat capsized? How many
minutes / hours can you swim without getting
tired? How many meters can you cover while
swimming?
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Afam4eva(m): 4:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
collynzo2: I'll give you the same reply I gave speedyboi.
so once you can swim, you must be able to survive no matter the part of the
river where your boat capsized? How many
minutes / hours can you swim without getting
tired? How many meters can you cover while
swimming?
This is not the Atlantic ocean that we're talking abut. This is a river that's not soo wide. At least know how to swim first and then think of how far you can swim.
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by collynzo2(m): 4:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is not the Atlantic ocean that we're talking abut. This is a river that's not soo wide. At least know how to swim first and then think of how far you can swim.
I can assure you that most of them are very good swimmers. River Niger is not too wide? I've travelled on both canoe and ferry on River Niger, the same part where this accident happened, there are parts of the river you can be in and you wouldn't even be able to see where the river ends on either side. Don't say whay you don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgE8nc2mmEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhYkcn60tNU
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Afam4eva(m): 4:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
collynzo2: I can assure you that most of them are very good swimmers. River Niger is not too wide? I've travelled on both canoe and ferry on River Niger, the same part where this accident happened, there are parts of the river you can be in and you wouldn't even be able to see where the river ends on either side. Don't say whay you don't know.
The point is that, people should learn how to swim before getting on a boat before they can start thinking of how far they can swim. I'm sure a lot of people that died on that boat would have wished for at least a swimming talent so that they can fight for their life and not be helpless in such a situation.
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Horus(m): 4:49pm On Sep 29, 2013

1 Like

Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by collynzo2(m): 4:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
The point is that, people should learn how to swim before getting on a boat before they can start thinking of how far they can swim. I'm sure a lot of people that died on that boat would have wished for at least a swimming talent so that they can fight for their life and not be helpless in such a situation.
Life jacket is the answer. How are you sure they didn't swim as far as they could? Aside having the swimming skills, you'll need to to have the srength of a superman to last the distance, except the boat capsized very close to the shore which isn't too likely.

1 Like

Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Bencochris: 5:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
AGBOR-MAN:
In the western world , they called it "Health & Safety" common sense

But in Africa

We believe that "Miracle, or God will save us"

Wake up bros; use your common sense. We should help God to help us. Think "health & safety"
It is clearly written in the bible: Heaven help those that help themselves

May their soul R.I.P

Where is it in the bible that, heaven help those who help themselves?

1 Like

Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by diamondvil(f): 6:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
Boat or Ship pls?
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Adebeeyee(m): 6:14pm On Sep 29, 2013
That's why govt exists- to put a check on the abnormalies of its people. How can a local boat of 60 capacity be overloaded with 150 and there was no one to stop it from sailing. But the truth remains that govt can't do all. Chai, We Nigerians sef don't like ourselves o. RiP to the dead sha
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Ama28(f): 7:40pm On Sep 29, 2013
Hey! 42 dead and 100 not confirmed!
The president is so use to death that He will not make any public statement. If 5 persons die in kenya or in Westminster he will rush to the media!
Dose it mean that Nigerian Navy does not regulate the capacity boats carry in our waters? 60 capacity boat is carrying 150 passengers! More than twice the carriage!
What a nation!
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by komek(m): 9:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
Ama28: Hey! 42 dead and 100 not confirmed!
The president is so use to death that He will not make any public statement. If 5 persons die in kenya or in Westminster he will rush to the media!
Dose it mean that Nigerian Navy does not regulate the capacity boats carry in our waters? 60 capacity boat is carrying 150 passengers! More than twice the carriage!
What a nation!

This President don suffer.
Anything that happens now, the president should organise a press conference.
Their was a both mishap, we still want the President to say something. Say what na? Does it mean when our wifes cook bad food , the president shud organise a press conference? Naija sef.

We want everything to be done for us by the govt,
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by funmemezy: 10:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Let's stop fooling ourselves,how can dey say 42dead and 100missing? Ar the missing hundreds relaxing under water? No survivor,gaskiya!
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Nigroebere: 10:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
May their soul R.I.P
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Ama28(f): 11:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
komek:

This President don suffer.
Anything that happens now, the president should organise a press conference.
Their was a both mishap, we still want the President to say something. Say what na? Does it mean when our wifes cook bad food , the president shud organise a press conference? Naija sef.

We want everything to be done for us by the govt,

That is called governance! He should commensurate with the deceased families! He owes Nigerians protecttion of lives and properties! Its called security in his portfolio!

Who is supposed to regulate the waters? Until you learn to hold your government accountable, this nation will keep reproducing dummies!

What if this was an airline and we are having 150 casualties? This nation would have been on stand still? Is it because they are poor?

Mister the government should value lives of citizens hence should console the affected families!
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by oluboyo04(m): 2:06am On Sep 30, 2013
na so d boat big reach wey den no see d remainin 100 people inside? Instead make den kuku tel us say 150passangers die onboard. Abi place dey dia wey den fit run to? Yeye report. **smash fone on ground**
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by oluboyo04(m): 2:07am On Sep 30, 2013
na so d boat big reach wey den no see d remainin 100 people inside? Instead make den kuku tel us say 150passangers die onboard. Abi place dey dia wey den fit run to? Yeye report. **smash fone on ground***
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Edwardc: 4:27am On Sep 30, 2013
Codedrock: OMG.. I wont believe this.. So all this people are gonna be chopped by fishes? OH MY GOD WHERE IS SPIDERMAN.?
Dump ass

Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by komek(m): 7:12am On Sep 30, 2013
Ama28:

That is called governance! He should commensurate with the deceased families! He owes Nigerians protecttion of lives and properties! Its called security in his portfolio!

Who is supposed to regulate the waters? Until you learn to hold your government accountable, this nation will keep reproducing dummies!

What if this was an airline and we are having 150 casualties? This nation would have been on stand still? Is it because they are poor?

Mister the government should value lives of citizens hence should console the affected families!

Base on this assertion ma, the president should also commensurate with those who die on daily basis at Benin- Ore road, PH-Enugu road, Warri-Ph road, Abuja-Kaduna road etc even in our own recklessness to make him a better President. And leave some other pressing needs. If he continues commensurating with accident victims, do u think their will be time for other things in this country be cos accidents happen on seconds basis in this country.

My dear that's not governance, its not necessary. Their are better things to do abeg.
In as much as we know its a lost that does not mean the President should be blamed. RIP to dead.
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by rejennis: 9:52am On Sep 30, 2013
I wont be suprise if some comez in here and blame Amechi's stubbornness with Bros Joe. cheesy, funny peepz on nairaland.
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Keffebabe(f): 11:31am On Sep 30, 2013
Dis is serious
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by topas100(m): 12:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
God rest the souls of the dead
Re: 42 Dead, 100 Missing As Boat Capsized In River Niger by Aliozorblog(m): 1:56pm On Sep 30, 2013
100 missing
42 killed
6 chopped by fishes
2 kidnapped by mami water
= 150 .hmmmmm poor conoe was overloaded and had no option but to offlaod its passengers. Let pray they rescue the kidnapped two.R.I.P to the dead

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ikpeazu & Ogar: Confusion In Abia State / Nigeria Can Never Grow With Weak INEC – Jonathan Tells PDP Leaders (Video) / Victor Malu Buried (Burial Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.