Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida (861 Views)

26 Years After Orka's Coup: Why I Did Not Kill President Babangida . / Former President Babangida Supports Olamide Behavior At Headies / Lagos 2015: Igbos' Open Support For Jimi Agbaje Will Ruin His Chances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by chino24: 2:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
Former President Ibrahim Babangida has said after the annulment of the June 1993 election by his government, he wanted the late business mogul, Chief Moshood Abiola, to head the interim government.

This is contained in a book, Ibrahim Babangida: The Military, Politics and Power in Nigeria, written by Dan Agbese, editor-in-chief of the defunct Newswatch magazine. According to the book, Babangida said he contributed to the campaign fund of the late business mogul.

Babangida, in an interview, told Agbese that he had wanted to make Abiola the chairman of the Transitional Council because he believed he (Abiola) “enjoyed tremendous political goodwill. His name was a household name. He had the international contact and Nigeria too had a very good chance of having someone like him heading that organisation.”

He, however, claimed that his colleagues on the Armed Forces Ruling Council (AFRC), the country’s highest decision making body, opposed the choice of Abiola to head the council. Instead, they agreed to accept him as a member of the council.

The former military president said he offered to bring the late Abiola in as a member and ensure that the members of the Transitional Council elect him as chairman.

According to the book, the AFRC had decided that the chairman of the council should come from the South West. However, Abiola kicked against this and insisted that he should be announced as the leader. He was quoted as telling Babangida that his family wanted it because they feared that the president might change his mind once he made him just a member.

“Left to me, I wanted to make him the chairman. Then he decided and blew it.”

On the contest that led to the emergence of Abiola, Babangida said, the disqualification of 23 presidential aspirants led to the emergence of two candidates of two candidates- Abiola and Bashir Tofa- on the platform of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) and National Republican Convention (NRC).

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/i-wanted-abiola-to-head-interim-govt-says-babangida/
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by chino24: 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2013
Then why did ordinary almajiris slaughter him and his wife?

The worst is that the cowards could not do anything about it..
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 29, 2013
^^What were you expecting them to do when IBB remains their benefactor?
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
chino24: Then why did ordinary almajiris slaughter him and his wife?

The worst is that the cowards could not do anything about it..
The same way Ojuku asked ibos to vote for Babangida who was one of the soldiers who slaugthered ibos like sacrificial lambs.

1 Like

Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by chino24: 3:24pm On Sep 29, 2013
payless: The same way Ojuku asked ibos to vote for Babangida who was one of the soldiers who slaugthered ibos like sacrificial lambs.

I am sympathetic about the way they have to slaughter abiola and his wife, and yerobas did nothing, instead you are here yapping nonsense..

1 Like

Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
chino24:

I am sympathetic about the way they have to slaughter abiola and his wife, and yerobas did nothing, instead you are here yapping nonsense..
Keep your sympathy for over 2 milliion killed in iboland during the war.
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
RIP MKO
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by chino24: 3:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
payless: Keep your sympathy for over 2 milliion killed in iboland during the war.

Do you know that two third of yerobas population are now starving due to the demise of Abiola? Do you know that there are more school dropouts now in yerobaland because of demise of Abiola? It is more than enough for the region to go to war and be killed because they are presently living for nothing!
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by slimming: 3:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
Who care whatever you want him to be, you have done your worst and posterity will judge you and your generation
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
chino24:

Do you know that two third of yerobas population are now starving due to the demise of Abiola? Do you know that there are more school dropouts now in yerobaland because of demise of Abiola? It is more than enough for the region to go to war and be killed because they are presently living for nothing!
Fallacy!
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by chino24: 3:39pm On Sep 29, 2013
Go and read what IBB said, it was the same unrestrained nature of yerobas that made Abiola to blew everything. IBB meant well for yerobass... grin grin
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by chino24: 3:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
slimming: Who care whatever you want him to be, you have done your worst and posterity will judge you and your generation

How can posterity judge IBB? Read below what IBB wanted to do:

“Left to me, I wanted to make him the chairman(President). Then he decided and blew it.”- IBB
Re: Abiola Blew His Chances of Becoming Nigerian President- Babangida by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 29, 2013
IBB PLEASE SHUT UP!
These fellows and their insults!

Look Mr. Man, it does not matter now even if you were sleeping in his bed.

MKO contested an election, he won, you annulled it.
Just keep quiet and enjoy your loot for the few days you have on the earth.
the younger generation have more serious issues to tackle than you and your generation of monsters in human form.

Emm Ebuka, come and sing the Biafran National anthem for this old tyrant, but don't sing too loud.
I don't want thin to die of heart attack on hearing it.
I want him to be alive, watch it on CNN the day our flag will fly high to fall no more.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Head Of Trailer Assn.In Bariga Murdered In Broad Day Light[check link for Photo] / Information About Vanguard Newspaper And Iyabo Obasanjo Letter / 2015: APC Plans To Impose Islamic Agenda –PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.