Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Why Do Nigerians Have Such Bad Customer Orientation? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Nigerians Have Such Bad Customer Orientation? (422 Views)

5 Ways Nigerians Can Improve Their Bad Customer Services / UBA Africard Where Is My Money? This Is Very Bad Customer Experience! / Bad Customer Service In Nigeria, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Have Such Bad Customer Orientation? by chessguru1(m): 9:58pm On Sep 29, 2013
"The customer is always right!"
Whoever came up with that mantra would have been appalled with how customers are treated in this part of the world. Certain events on NL (the online protest going on) have regurgitated certain observations on the ridiculously low sense of customer orientation/ service business owners have towards their customers here in Nigeria.
I J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ don't get it. How come as soon as a business gets established, they start treating people like crap?
I will be using 3 instances to buttress my point. First off is an experience I had with a telephone technician. I went to repair my tablet (stopped booting properly), and the guy said he would take 2,000 bucks from me to flash it. That upon flashing I would loose everything (which of course everybody knows).
Few hours later he returned d tablet working J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ like before and nothing deleted or lost...I simple asked him if flashing of a device doesn't involve all things deleting...oh men the man started sparking for me. Shouting about why nigerians feel like they are always about to be cheated. Shouting even though I said nothing about changing the agreed amount.
So my question as I angrily left the mofo was this:
1. Is it that he feels I can't bring back more than 10 customers if he impresses me.
2. Is it that business owners feel that since there over 160 million people in this country, God will surely bring another customer.

Second example of my point is Agufure transport company. I remember back in my uni days when agufure was pretty much the only transport company we used to move from lag down to ph. So much so that I never entered a different bus to ph apart from Abc and agufure.
But loo'k at agufure today. I embarked on trip where the bus driver pretty much fought with every single passenger on the bus before he even reached warri. There was another incident when the managers gave a dilapidated bus to move people from delta to Ph. The driver simply parked the bus 10 mins into the journey (still in warri) and said he wasn't moving any where till they sent a new bus (which happened 2 hrs latter). So many other incidents, that I cant not mention here.

Third example I experience here in ph is the issue of "change". Its so irritating when you have the "purchasing power" and you stop a trader to buy her goods, and she arrogantly walks away saying "no chaNge". I stopped going to a lady store after she sang the no-change song for a 3rd time.
What stops these guys from changing an amount of money in the bank (in all denominations) every 3 or 7 days. you have something to sell, but your too lazy to sell it. It J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ makes no sense!
The last example is our very own nairaland. I wasn't there at the beginning, but am pretty sure seun and his group of mods where more accommodating, and treated her members with more courtesy and respect. I can imagine seun doing everything to cultivate the number of members on the forum. But today nairaland is established, and like other businesses, have started taking its members for granted. Why else would Mods feel like they can trample on members with such impunity. There is an e protest going on concerning this very matter. What I find most amazing is that when all these businesses (both big and small) crash because of there negative customer attitude, you will see most of these people blaming one uncle in the village, or one winchy winchy in their compound when the fault is all theirs

(1) (Reply)

Free SME Business Training And Mentoring Session / Thread closed / Which Is Easier To Set Up In Nigeria A Retail Pharmacy Or A Healthcare Clinic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.