Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,199 members, 7,811,526 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? (2636 Views)

5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner / The Monthly Income Of Web Designers / Developers In Nigeria / Proposal Letter Of Web Design Fo A Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by javaprince(m): 11:24am On Jun 28, 2008
@ALL
No mistakes, FUNCTIONALITY first, BEAUTY Second. If you ask me the ratio, I'll say

Functionality 80 %
Beauty 20%

What is the use of a SIte that is not Functional? Don't forget That the reason For the site in the first place is not Beauty. Take for Instance JAMB online, no matter how Ugly it is, people will still keep browsing the site, as long as it is Providing the Required Functionality.

Also, I'll tell u the beauty of Nairaland is Not that Great At all. But why do I keep coming here, IT PROVIDES THE NEEDED FUNCTIONALITY.

SO Y'ALL get your priorities right, Provide the needed Functionality for your Site, Then Provide the needed Functionality.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by mambenanje(m): 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2008
@javaprince
my own point of view please
first and foremost we are talking about corporate sites or in other words sites that represent peoples products or their services for example a website for glo or website for MTN.
Approach them with such functionality before design sites and see how they will take it ??

nairaland is not representing anyfirm. its design is bent to be simple soo that it will be able to sustain the thousands of users on it.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by javaprince(m): 12:59pm On Jun 28, 2008
@mambenanje
You have a very good point. Most corporate bodies are attracted to beauty first, but what is beauty without Functionalty? hence, the need to leverage between the two.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by tundewoods(m): 3:19pm On Jun 28, 2008
javaprince:

What is the use of a SIte that is not Functional? Don't forget That the reason For the site in the first place is not Beauty. Take for Instance JAMB online, no matter how Ugly it is, people will still keep browsing the site, as long as it is Providing the Required Functionality.

Also, I'll tell u the beauty of Nairaland is Not that Great At all. But why do I keep coming here, IT PROVIDES THE NEEDED FUNCTIONALITY.

Now can you please define or clarify your use of the word functioanlity in the first line of the quoted post of yours about "What is the use of a site if its not functional " Is your definition of functional based on dynamic functionality or basic functionality required of any standard website.

See lets stop decieving our selves,Beauty will always remain king when it comes to the concept of the world wide web. You mentioned a rather typical example in your thread which is the JAMB ONLINE WEBSITE.

No hard feelings i am of the opinion that yes agreed we are forced to use the website based of its rather irrational functionality but one point must be emphasised that its monopolistic website in its nature being that it is the only website you can use to access results be as difficult as it may seem but i bet you fif there other optional websites with better visual appeal and improved functionality most Nigerians would rather access UME results from them.

Beauty is prime , basic functionality is key and task /serverside oriented functionality is optional or dependent on nature of operations.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by Afam(m): 5:00pm On Jun 28, 2008
mambenanje:

@javaprince
my own point of view please
first and foremost we are talking about corporate sites or in other words sites that represent peoples products or their services for example a website for glo or website for MTN.
Approach them with such functionality before design sites and see how they will take it ??

nairaland is not representing anyfirm. its design is bent to be simple soo that it will be able to sustain the thousands of users on it.

1. When did anyone here conduct any survey for this mambenanje to claim that we are talking about corporate sites here?

2. That some companies have very flashy websites doesn't mean that their websites are really useful. The reason why some of these companies have not done anything to get more functional (as in tasks that can be accomplished by users) websites is that the management in most cases don't even understand the web and these people are at the mercy of the web designer who may be itching to unleash his/her latest graphic skills on the website. And again, most of these websites do not depend on the website to make any money. For some, it is just a status thing.

3. The content in bold above represents the most embarrassing statement from someone that claims to understand the web. A website (nairaland) that is perhaps the most visited website owned by a Nigerian which should really be a good example of what a functional website should be like is being dismissed as a website that does not represent any firm and that the site was meant to be simple so as to sustain thousands of users.

My dear, I repeat once again you know very little about the web. Why do you think google even displays the speed of the search query and results? To tell you that speed matters to them and that in fact they are more interested in getting you off their websites as fast as possible by retrieving the results you wanted as fast as possible. They make money from advertisement and the longer you spend on that site searching for one thing the more you are wasting their server resources.

The good thing about a forum like this is this - it gives us enough time to show the world how we think and how we comprehend information. Now that the insults and abuses have subsided those who felt they could just abuse others and forget about the issues raised having nothing reasonable to put down.

Some have gone round the bend, the chicken has finally come to roost and some are shooting themselves with their ill thought out comments.

A functional website that is not flashy will win anyday when compared to a flashy website that is not functional.

Had a meeting with someone this afternoon and after agreeing to what I proposed for his website when it got to the issue of money he stated that his younger brother has a website and the web designer charged him about 50% of what I demanded.

I told him that if he was satisfied with the website his brother has then of course it makes sense for him to go with his own designer especially when his own price is even cheaper. Asked if I could come down I said no and when I got up to leave he said I should start immediately on the website and the payment will be done on Monday.

My point is this, people are often faced with the views of whoever they are discussing website projects with. Just as a referee cannot do more than he knows some web designers can only advice clients based on what they know. Whether what they know is best for the client or not is another thing altogether.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by smartsoft(m): 5:32pm On Jun 28, 2008
@afam don't even start the age thing here abeg, cause age aren't a cateria for getting jobs, abeg, thought you are matured enough to know that, instead of ranting,

It can never happen, many years to come for a client to come and tell you eeeeeeeeh re-design this website that ones done by me, that sound odd, if i'm right i could remmember the site you talking about, website that was hosted by you can be design elsewhere, Website that was design by me and later was pull-of cause the guy don't want my credit, he wants to give my credit to someone else, and later he said i should pull it off and make some correction and all that, after getting to know you the one hosting it and all that, if the whole guys want me to birng d site up i will do that, as i'm typing the site is under-construction, so can you show me another of your so called stupid client ?
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by Afam(m): 5:45pm On Jun 28, 2008
My friend pay attention when reading posts.

You specifically told me that the reason you do not get jobs is people you were younger and I told you that could not be correct as people will deal with you as long as you have quality products or services. I merely quoted you, we are not debating that.

On the client you remembered, here is the story since you brought it up.

Some called and wanted to see me and I asked him to come to the office and when he did he had 2 issues.

1. Web design

2. Web hosting

As regards web design I could not do much because I made very clear my charge and considering the fact that he had already spent some money without achieving anything he could not make available the money and on projects I usually get paid before touching any project. Site credit belongs to whoever is designing or developing a website and the client would never have wanted to give your site credit to anyone. It is not done anywhere.

As regards web hosting he stated that he got a web hosting package from someone on this forum and had over 250 email addresses and the server was almost always unreliable as the company in question could not access emails and they do a lot of email communications.

I told him we do not compromise on server reliability and we could provide him one that will effortlessly support over 250 active and busy email addresses.

That I provided and not even once for close to 1 year now has there been any complaints whatsoever.

So my dear, I am not here to expose you for what you are, you are already doing a good job of it yourself.

If you remember another client I may furnish you with the details.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by smartsoft(m): 6:06pm On Jun 28, 2008
you should read what i posted up there, you said, someone came to your office for a re-design i did, aren't waht you said huh ? well i must tell you this, since i started designing website have been able to come up with close to 80 different website, which all those website aren't my credit, they are for different web companies like you, who outsource the job to me, but rather the ones i have credit for are close to 5 to 10 also,

Now the one the one i was saying about credit thing, was a guy who gave a site to another designer and the designer messed-up with the website and the guy brought to me to design and ask me to put a credit and say the design weas done by the first guy, it really sound weird,
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by Afam(m): 6:24pm On Jun 28, 2008
I see, so it is now a matter of shifting goal posts? Na wah oo.

Well, since people outsource to you can you show me some of the websites you have done so I may consider outsourcing to you also?

I am tired of looking for good web designers out there because those I have checked their portfolios here are either copying and pasting other peoples' works or they claim their web projects are not for public display (maybe they may have been setting up intranets for some people).
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by mambenanje(m): 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2008
@Afam
Please stop amazing me I beg you. Your too old to be even arguing carelessly, just see how tunde is acting or my2cents almost your peers.

Nairaland is not a corporate website in other words its not an advertisement ground for any firm (company) and its services or products.

If you say MTN's website isnot usefull, then I don't understand you wink. Do you know they are the fourth largest firm in Africa. They have the cash power to empoy all sort of guys [ BUT IT REQUIRES CERTIFIED GUYS SO THAT THEY ARE SURE OF THEIR SKILLS ], and you say their sites are not usefull, SO THEY SHOULD COME GIVE YOU TO SHOW THEM HOW TO MAKE IT MORE USEFULL wink
you are a funny old man,
Well if you don't know: There are corporate websites like the ones you posted for review, and they are mainly a marketing tool just like a tv commercial but alot more more interactive and
[b]There are web services( community sites) [/b]or the whole web 2.0 craze just like the ecomerce site you posted.
Now for a corporate site, the design is a very important factor IT MUST BE CATCHY to better market the firm, but the community sites like your nigerian buying and selling site or www.kerawa.com or www.facebook.com or nairaland.com, such sites are not corporate sites [ not marketing any company ] but offering a service to the world, so though their design must not be too flashy to ensure faster download, they still need good design just like any other product on earth : cars, houses, house ware, cloths, you can name the rest. Or Afam will you put on a dress thats not having a good design ?? if no thats the same way a company wont need a site thats not well designed.

AFAM PLEASE GIVE ME A CHANCE TO GIVE YOU THE RESPECT YOU NEED, LIKE I GIVE TO MY2CENT AND THE OTHERS
THANKS
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by Afam(m): 7:47pm On Jun 28, 2008
What more can I expect from someone who thinks that firefox helping scammers from Africa?

You can keep misunderstanding my posts for all I care because I cannot split your brain open so you can comprehend my posts.

You can come up with what you think my views are and aimlessly focus on them. Your level of comprehension is abysmally low I must confess and I will not spend time correcting you on such misunderstandings.

And please, keep your respect, I don't need it neither have I asked for one, stick to the issues or go to bed.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by tundewoods(m): 7:51pm On Jun 28, 2008
mambenanje:

@Afam
Please stop amazing me I beg you. Your too old to be even arguing carelessly, just see how tunde is acting or my2cents almost your peers.

LOL  grin

mambenanje:

Nairaland is not a corporate website in other words its not an advertisement ground for any firm (company) and its services or products.

I totaly agree with you on this one,Nairaland is just a discussion forum website that has been quite fortunate with SMF.What on earth makes it a coporate website.

mambenanje:

AFAM PLEASE GIVE ME A CHANCE TO GIVE YOU THE RESPECT YOU NEED, LIKE I GIVE TO MY2CENT AND THE OTHERS
THANKS

Thats a wonderful plea and i may even ask my daughter to make the same plea too  wink
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by mambenanje(m): 8:48pm On Jun 28, 2008
@Afam
I may be dumb like I clearly said on that "firefox helping scammers , " post, but thats just your point of view, why dont you practise what you preach
stick to the subject matter wink
I KNOW YOU ARE A VERY INTELLIGENT GUY, but what I must say is to me you are incompetent when it comes to web development,
your sites always reveal how your underlying database looks like: then what functionality are you even talking about.
I know guys dont know what I mean by this
you want me to attack you now let me do so but in a mature manner

if I see such a link index.php?article=108&category=business
I can use the query string to delete all articles on that site after two weeks, some sql injection, and all your sites show that.
I dont know why your even proud about all that.

Again i say you are intelligent: yet i want to challenge you to tell me what qualifications you have as a web developer. Are you certified, what proves you know what your doing.

You see thats why your works are not good, go to school please and respect yourself even if you dont want the respect from me
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by Afam(m): 9:28pm On Jun 28, 2008
Another dumb comment, I can assure you I was done with the dangers of SQL injection before you turned 20. You know what you are plain stupid, dumb and silly at the same time.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by mambenanje(m): 9:34pm On Jun 28, 2008
@Afam
all sql injection techniques were not found before I was twenty and that simply means you dont even know that this computer thing evolves.
facebook suffered sql injection some days back why wont these your sites be victimised if someone sits on them
anyway thats that
you keep reminding me that I am dumb, and I toldd you its your point of view i might be dumb or might not be it wont change me wink dig that please
One question
WHAT QUALIFIES YOU AS A WEB DEVELOPER ??
you asked for my portfolio I showed you, now tell me what qualifies you as webmaster dont run away from it, God web developer wink
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by Afam(m): 9:55pm On Jun 28, 2008
There is no end in site as regards the guy's stupidity. Which one is all sql injection techniques were not found before you got to age 20?

Do I have to explain every single statement to you? I thought you stated you were about 22 years and if that is correct I can assure you that I knew about SQL injections way back in 2003 and any serious programmer would know what to do to avoid such on his/her codes.

So telling me that facebook suffered sql injection does not support your very myopic view that the issue of sql injection is something new. You are indeed a complete slowpoke.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by nacom(f): 10:07pm On Jun 28, 2008
Here we go again angry AFAM displaying his usual arrogance and making a mockery of himself.
I still insist : YOU ARE THE DUMBEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO NAIRALAND. undecided

OLD TOAD !
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by javaprince(m): 10:25pm On Jun 28, 2008
@afam and mambanje
Pls, stop acting childlish, and let us learn from each other, put aside our differences. Let us talk about the ways to talk about how ro avoid this SQL injection you keep talking about. And how to avoid XSS attacks.

Thanks,
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by tundewoods(m): 10:29pm On Jun 28, 2008
@ javaprince
Why not start a thread on How to avoid SQL injection and XSS attacks.
Right now this thread is fully booked and tickets totally sold out ! grin
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by mambenanje(m): 10:32pm On Jun 28, 2008
hahaha cheesy
I wont stop laughing,
@Afam you are giving me music while I am coding www.afrikeo.com wink
myopic or not myopic views, dumb or not dumb, stupid or whatever you call me i accept, but Information technolog is not static, so people get new ways to inject sql that you dont know Afam unless you are a God

BUT THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM FOR NOW
PLEASE ANSWER MY SECOND QUESTION:
WHAT QUALIFIES YOU AS A WEB DEVELOPER any degree or any certification will help me shut up else you have to go study man
please
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by Afam(m): 11:22pm On Jun 28, 2008
mambenanje:

hahaha cheesy
I wont stop laughing,
@Afam you are giving me music while I am coding www.afrikeo.com wink
myopic or not myopic views, dumb or not dumb, stupid or whatever you call me i accept, but Information technolog is not static, so people get new ways to inject sql that you don't know Afam unless you are a God

BUT THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM FOR NOW
PLEASE ANSWER MY SECOND QUESTION:
WHAT QUALIFIES YOU AS A WEB DEVELOPER any degree or any certification will help me shut up else you have to go study man
please

Who told you anyone wanted you to shut up? I am fine with the way you post nonsense here. So, it has come to comparing yourself with others, wonders shall never end.

If I stated any degree and you shut up who will be coming up with those crazy and stupid threads you normally initiate? You ain't going anywhere my friend.
Re: Between Functionaly And Beauty - Where Lies The Future Of Web Development? by mambenanje(m): 12:48pm On Jun 29, 2008
@Afam
your point of view about me is just what you see in this forum, and I don't blame you for its your point of view, and it wont change the fact that my clients will still give me projects because I don't give them same template i give to a former client wink.

Now like you said to Tunde, ARE CERTIFICATES SUPPOSE TO BE HIDDEN, man you have no qualifications but you talk more than everyone here.
I wonder what makes you think you know that much while you don't have any backings ??
next time when guys are talking about web development pleasee listen because you will be compensiating for what you don't know because you didnt take any former education.
No wonder you write all these things, now I see . hey you also told Tunde "its not that you don't like showing it, they are not just there ",
so i say to you its not that you don't want me to shut up, man there is no certificate or degree regarding computer science or web development
I wont answer again, i am satisfied and next time don't talk too much till you can show what certifies your skills or proof your competence.
I beg find your place sit down or write the zend exam so you can back your arrogance

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sitemeter.com Vs Google Analytics / Which Is Better? / Join India's Leading Hackers and Technology Whatsapp Group / Why Are My U.S Targeted Facebook Ads Campaign Extremely Expensive???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.