Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola (3810 Views)

Screening Of Ministerial Nominees Begins On Oct 13 / Anambra State Governorship Election Debate On STV on Oct 25th, 2013 / Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by yomixclusive(m): 9:12am On Oct 02, 2013
Nigeria Came Into Being on Oct 1, 1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola Tells Jonathan

Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola said Nigeria came into being on October 1, 1960, and not in 1914 as he gave unsolicited advice to the Federal Government not to distort history by its planned centenary celebration in 2014.

The Governor spoke at the Nigeria’s 53rd Independence anniversary parade which involved the Police, voluntary organizations, school children and Para-military agencies, led by Superintendent Chris Nwokolo, at the Police College, Ikeja.

While addressing the gathering, Fashola said, “For me, Nigeria was born as an independent sovereign nation on October 1st, 1960. Perhaps she was conceived in 1914 but as we race towards this, it is important not to distort history.”

He said this was because “a generation is coming behind us they need to be sure about the history of their fatherland. I will seek better understanding and explanation by those who are behind the centenary celebration.

“This is because if we roll out the drums three years ago to celebrate the 50 years of Nigeria’s nationhood, the independent that we fought for and our nationalist went to jail for.

“Many of our prominent leaders lost many things. Some lost their lives, some lost their dignity. Some lost their freedom.\

“The scars of those years of colonial dominion are firmly etched and preserved in the freedom Park on Broad Street in Lagos. It was built with bricks imported from England with money earned in Lagos in order to keep our nationalists in confinement.”

“Let us be very clear October 1, 1960 was the day of nationhood for Nigeria. My teachers and parents thought me that history. I used to come out as a child to participate in the Independence Day parade exactly as the children that here today.

“Then what is this centenary suddenly about because I don’t remember as a child ever coming on amalgamation day to celebrate the day. And suddenly how did we get to 100 when we did not celebrate the 50th, 60th and 99th anniversary.”

“There is something wrong here. I don’t know why the celebration but I will like clarification. Maybe conception of Nigeria took place in 1914. But it is the date of birth of the child that one celebrates and I think that birthday is October 1st, 1960.”

The Lagos State leader however called for tolerance and peaceful co-existence, saying “I am lending my voice to the appeal for peace across our land.

“Only a peaceful solution must be found to arrest the present worsening stalemate and restore normalcy into the country.

“I believe that we are too blessed to resolve our differences with threats of violence. For me, compromise is critical and we must all reach for it in order to make more meaning out of our situation.”

https://yomiafolabi..com
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by spicy244(f): 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
GEJ used to be a teacher n moreova a phd holder. SMH

*mtcheeeeeeeeewwwww

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by eagleeye2: 2:15pm On Oct 02, 2013
Oga Fash....make you fashi that level ohh... we must to celebrate our 100Years of existence since Amalgamation by that white guy wey smoke gbana come name Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by Kachi188(m): 3:00pm On Oct 02, 2013
2014 marks hundred years since †ђξ amalgamation...since we don't know †ђξ exact day...it iڰ expedient to join it with †ђξ 54th independence day celebration aπϑ make it grand...
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by aresa: 3:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
Either our federal leaders are all illiterates or this is just another wasteful excuse for them to splurge and entertain themselves at the expense of the taxpaying Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by hopilo: 4:21pm On Oct 02, 2013
We have a saying in our place and it goes; without your mama you for know your papa?
With the name Nigeria in 1914 you for know Independent Nigeria in 1960. hearing this from
fashola shows that there is no Nigeria. Why are we forcing ourselves to be one?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by greaterlove(m): 6:11pm On Oct 02, 2013
According to Fash's theory, India came into being in 1953, Egypt came into being in 1922 and Libya became Libya in 1947. Oga Fash I like you but on this theory you are wrong.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by osymerga(m): 6:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
Oga fash,there is a difference btw amalgamation and independence. Yes,Nigeria got her independence in 1960,but the nation called Nigeria came into existence in 1914,when the northern and southern part of the country were join together as one.Thats what the FG is celebrating,and nt independence.Know the differences pls.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by PointB: 7:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
osymerga: Oga fash,there is a difference btw amalgamation and independence. Yes,Nigeria got her independence in 1960,but the nation called Nigeria came into existence in 1914,when the northern and southern part of the country were join together as one.Thats what the FG is celebrating,and nt independence.Know the differences pls.

lol,

Thanks for dragging the flower planter back to school. I bet he skipped this lesson due the his truancy in school days. cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by Tolexander: 7:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
I support Fashola on the assertion!

The period of nigerian colonialism can be likened to the fetal stage of human being.

During the stage, the fetus doesn't really have any link(independent link) to the external environment except through the mother.

Can we now say since the man has been formed in the mother, the year counting for the baby should start?
No but until childbirth!

Likewise the nigerian history should start when we became independent and not when we couldn't relate with the external world without the colonial leaders.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by gbokukueba(m): 7:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
The cetenary celebration in 2014 is the only 'legal' routeto steak money in preparation for 2015...
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by donphilopus: 7:53pm On Oct 02, 2013
19th century
YearDateEvent
1880The conquest of Southern Nigeriaby the Britishbegan.
1900The Sokoto Caliphatewas established throughjihad.
The Sokoto Caliphatewent to war against the Yorubastates.
Christianmissionary activity began in Southern Nigeria.
20th century
YearDateEvent
1901 Anglo-Aro war: The war began. The Aro Confederacybegan to decline. (to 1902)
1902Anglo-Aro war: The war ended.
1903The Britishconquered most of Northern Nigeria, including the Sokoto Caliphate.
1905The Britishconquest of Southern Nigeriaended.
1912 Lord Lugard, Governor of Northern Nigeria, established a system of indirect rule.
1914 Northern Nigeriaand Southern Nigeriawere amalgamated into Nigeria.
1918The Adubi Waris fought in EgbaLand.
1946Nigeria entered a period of decolonization and growing Nigerian nationalism.
1950A conference of northern and southern delegates was held in Ibadan.
1953A conference regarding Nigeria's federal formula was held in London.
1957Nigeria held a Constitutional conference.
1959Nigeria holds its first national election to set up an independent government. Northernpoliticians won a majority of seats in the Parliament.
1960The period of nationalism and decolonization ended.
1 OctoberNigeria gained independence from Britainunder Prime Minister Tafawa Balewaand President Nnamdi Azikiwe.
19631 OctoberNigeria severed its remaining ties to Britain, marking the birth of the Nigerian First Republic.
19641 DecemberA national election was held.
196615 JanuaryA militarycoupdeposed the government of the First Republic. Balewa, Premier of Northern Nigeria Ahmadu Bello, and Finance Minister Festus Okotie-Eboh, were assassinated.
16 JanuaryThe Federal Military Government was formed, with General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsiacting as head of state and Supreme Commander of the Federal Republic.
29 JulyA counter-coupby military officers of northern extraction deposed the Federal Military Government. Aguiyi- Ironsiand Adekunle Fajuyi, Military Governor of the Western Region, were assassinated. General Yakubu Gowonbecame President.
1967Violence between the Christian Igbo peopleand the Muslim Hausaand Fula peoplein Easternand Northern Nigeriatriggered a migration of the Igbo back to the East.
30 May Nigerian-Biafran War: General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria, declared his province an independent republic called Biafra.
19708 January Ojukwufled into exile. His deputy Philip Effiongbecame acting President of Biafra
15 January Effiongsurrendered to Nigerian forces. Biafrawas reintegrated into Nigeria.
197322 JanuaryA plane crashed in Kano, Nigeria, killing 176 people.
197529 JanuaryGeneral Yakubu Gowonwas overthrown in a bloodlesscoup. General Murtala Mohammedbecame Head of State.
197613 February Mohammedwas assassinated on his way to work. His deputy, Lieutenant-General Olusegun Obasanjo, became Head of State and set a date to end military rule.
1979 Shehu Shagariwon election to the Executive Presidencyof the American-style Second Republic.
1 October Shagariwas sworn in as President.
1983 Shagariwon reelection.
31 December Shagari'sgovernment was ejected from power in a palacecoup, marking the end of the Second Republic. General Muhammadu Buharibecame Head of State and Chairman of the Supreme Military Council of Nigeria.
198417 AprilThe Buhariregime promulgated Decree No. 4, the "Public Officer's Protection Against False Accusation" Decree, which made it an offence to ridicule the government by publication of false information.
1985August Buhariwas overthrown in a palacecoup. General Ibrahim Babangidabecame Head of State and President of the Armed Forces Ruling Council of Nigeria.
1990April Middle Belt Christianofficers, led by Major Gideon Orkar, attempt to overthrow Babangidain an unsuccessfulcoup.
1992Two political parties, the Social Democratic Party (SDP)and the National Republican Convention (NRC) ware established by Babangidain an attempt to return to civilian rule.
199312 June Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiolawon a presidential election. Babangidaannulled the results.
26 August Babangidastepped down due to pressure from the Armed Forces Ruling Council. Ernest Adegunle Oladeinde Shonekanassumed power as Interim Head of State.
17 November Shonekanwas forced to resign from office. Defence Minister Sani Abachabecame Head of State and established the Provisional Ruling Council of Nigeria.
199513 MarchThe Abachaadministration arrested Obasanjofor allegedly supporting a secretcoupplot.
10 NovemberHuman and environmental rights activist Ken Saro-Wiwawas hanged with eight others.
19988 June Abachadied from a heart attack. Abdusalami Abubakarbecame Head of State and Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council of Nigeria and lifted the ban on political activity.
15 June Obasanjowas released from prison.
1999 10 February Obasanjowas elected President.
29 May Obasanjowas sworn in, ushering in the Fourth Republic.
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by greaterlove(m): 7:54pm On Oct 02, 2013
gbokukueba: The cetenary celebration in 2014 is the only 'legal' routeto steak money in preparation for 2015...
if the argument is that its a route to steal money then we will understand, but telling us there was nothing called Nigeria before 1960 is playing on our intelligence.
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by donphilopus: 8:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
19 December Obasanjoordered the Nigerian Armed Forcesto raid the town ofOdiin the Niger Delta, in response to the murder of twelve policemen by local militia.
200027 January Shariawas established in the predominantly Muslimstate of Zamfara.
MayReligious riots erupted in Kadunaover the implementation of sharia.
5 JuneThe Obasanjoadministration established the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC)to tackle human and ecological issues in the Niger Deltaregion of southern Nigeria.
21st century
YearDateEvent
2002Religious riots erupt over the Miss World pageant due to be hosted in Abuja.
10 OctoberThe International Court of Justice (ICJ)ruled against Nigeria in favor of Cameroonover the disputed oil-rich Bakassipeninsula territory.
2003April Obasanjowon reelection as President.
29 May Obasanjowas sworn in for a second term as President.
2004 Obasanjodeclared a state of emergency in response to the eruption of ethnoreligious violence in Plateau State.
200616 MayThe National Assembly of Nigeriavoted against a Constitutional amendment to remove term limits.
13 June Obasanjomet with CameroonianPresident Paul Biyaand Secretary General of the United Nations Kofi Ananin New York Cityto resolve a dispute over Bakassi.
1 AugustNigerian troops began to pull out of Bakassi.
March through AugustSeveal building collapsein Lagos killing 27 people
200715 MarchThe Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)released the names of twenty-four approved candidates for the presidential elections.
21 April Umaru Yar'Adua, Governor of Katsina State, was elected President of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by osymerga(m): 8:19pm On Oct 02, 2013
@ Tolexander,so nigeria has no history before independence ? So all this countries like libya,iran,egypt etc that got their independence in the 40s,50s and 60s all started having history after independence ? U guys cant stop been funny.
FG is celebrating centenary anniversery and nt independence.They are two different events for God sake.Whats so confusing there ? For ur information,nigeria got history before independence,after all my great grand father was an administrator during the colonial era,and so are many nigerians in govt.then.The british were ruling through indirect rule by using nigerians as their eyes,,thats history. Also u can read about usman dan fodio,jaja of opopo,yoruba,igbo,and housa heritage(history).Peace
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 02, 2013
fashola just has to oppose anything from the federal level. Nigeria will be a 100yrs by 01 Jan 2014.
Next Up: De-Amalgamation tinz!
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by Tolexander: 10:06pm On Oct 02, 2013
osymerga: @ Tolexander,so nigeria has no history before independence ? So all this countries like libya,iran,egypt etc that got their independence in the 40s,50s and 60s all started having history after independence ? U guys cant stop been funny.
FG is celebrating centenary anniversery and nt independence.They are two different events for God sake.Whats so confusing there ? For ur information,nigeria got history before independence,after all my great grand father was an administrator during the colonial era,and so are many nigerians in govt.then.The british were ruling through indirect rule by using nigerians as their eyes,,thats history. Also u can read about usman dan fodio,jaja of opopo,yoruba,igbo,and housa heritage(history).Peace
life starts before birth!
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by osymerga(m): 9:36am On Oct 03, 2013
Yes,life start before birth.Thats why the church sees abortion as a murder my friend.Life starts the moment there is a conceivtion,read ur biology book well.Nigeria as a country came into existence the north and the south were join together even though it was ruled by the british govt.The name Nigeria as an entity came into existence in 1914,weather we were ruled by the british or france was nt the issue.We only gain our independence in 1960 but nigeria has started existing as an entity before then,go read ur history book well.Fash got it wrong here,if he had say the celebration is an avenue to steal money,it could have been understandable,and nt this trash he is spewing.Peace
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by veraponpo(m): 10:25am On Oct 03, 2013
osymerga: Yes,life start before birth.Thats why the church sees abortion as a murder my friend.Life starts the moment there is a conceivtion,read ur biology book well.Nigeria as a country came into existence the north and the south were join together even though it was ruled by the british govt.The name Nigeria as an entity came into existence in 1914,weather we were ruled by the british or france was nt the issue.We only gain our independence in 1960 but nigeria has started existing as an entity before then,go read ur history book well.Fash got it wrong here,if he had say the celebration is an avenue to steal money,it could have been understandable,and nt this trash he is spewing.Peace

So do you normally celebrate the year of conception?

Have you ever celebrated the month you were conceived in your mother's womb?

For all I care, the universally acceptable thing is birthday celebration.
The last time I checked the US, and other great countries have never celebrated their years of conception but year of independence.

It is a national error. Celebrating year of bondage.
Re: Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola by osymerga(m): 11:03am On Oct 07, 2013
Take note Fashola: Nigeria is 100on October 07, 2013 at 1:43 am in People & Politics
By Ochereome Nnanna
Duringthe celebration of Nigeria’s 53rd independence anniversary, Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, remarked about what he called “distortion” of Nigeria’s history, which I found interesting.
He said he did not see the point in celebrating Nigeria’s centenary. Here are his words according to media reports:
“For me, Nigeria was born as an independent sovereign nation on the first of October, 1960. Perhaps, she was conceived in 1914, but as we race towards (the first 100 years) it is important not to distort history.
I would seek better understanding, better explanation by those who are behind the centenary celebration because if we rolled out the drums three years ago to celebrate 50 years of Nigeria’s nationhood, Independence we fought for, people went to jail for, what then is this centenary suddenly about?
“I don’t remember as a child ever coming out at amalgamation day and suddenly, how did we get to 100?”
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State acknowledges cheers, during the 53rd Independence day anniversary, at Police College Ikeja, Lagos, yesterday. Photo: Akeem Salau.
I can make out two points of disputation here by the learned Senior Advocate. Number one: As Nigeria never celebrated Amalgamation Day, Fashola does not see the point in celebrating 100 years of the Amalgamation. Number two: He does not seem to agree that the years before our independence can count as part of our nationhood, since Nigeria was still under colonial domination.
I will start by observing that His Excellency, BR Fashola, is merely engaging in undue rhetoric on this matter. I am not too surprised, though, that he has bones to pick with the centenary celebration idea, which is basically a brainchild of the Federal Government. This is not the first time that Fashola’s political group, which is now the main body of the All Progressives Congress, APC, will be distancing itself from such Federal Government initiative.
We will recall how that school of political thought disagreed with May 29 as the Democracy Day. That day has absolutely no bearing on our struggle to regain civilian rule from the military.
Instead, it was on June 12 (1993) that Nigerians, for the first time in history, overcame their primordial divides and voted for Chief Moshood Abiola, in spite of his Muslim/Muslim ticket. Fashola’s party, which is an offshoot of the June 12 struggle, settled for that date as the genuine Democracy Day, while the Federal Government forced the rest of the nation to mark it on May 29.
There should be no need to question whether Nigeria will be 100 years by January 2014. Nigeria was conceived and born on January 1, 1914. It was from that day that its inhabitants started being known as “Nigerians”. Yes, it was under the imperial rule of the British Crown, the parent nation.
Everything that happened from that day till date is part and parcel of the history of Nigeria. That we did not celebrate Amalgamation Day under the British did not take anything from the fact that Nigeria started existing as a political entity from the day it was amalgamated.
I believe that Nigerians should celebrate the centenary of her history. We should mark that day, but without much pomp and colour. Rather, we should mark it with sobriety and determination to turn a new leaf in the second century.
We should see the centenary as a milestone upon which to fashion out a new, better, happier, more equitable, workable and progressive nation to bequeath to ourselves and future generations. We of today must seize the moment and package a better Nigeria to hand over to our children.
Luckily, we now have the opportunity of a national conference. Let us not fluff it. Let us spend more time, energy and resources to ensure that this conference spawns a second century Nigeria we can all be proud of than wallowing in uncalled-for celebration of failure, tears and woe. Let us also not treat the moment as if it never existed.
Nigeria’s first100 years of bitter history can never be wished away, but we can fashion a second 100 years of surge, accomplishments and victory.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra: 6 IPOB Members Shot Dead In Aba, 30 Injured, 45 In Police Net. PICTURES. / Rivers State And Omoleye Sowore / How The Iranian Government Underestimated The Risk Of Coronavirus(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.