Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,245 members, 7,825,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

How To Do A Car Tune Up - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Do A Car Tune Up (923 Views)

Signs To Know Your Car Needs Tune Up / Engine Tune-up / Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Do A Car Tune Up by Drjephthah80: 10:05am On Oct 02, 2013
Pls what is involved in a car tune up
Re: How To Do A Car Tune Up by tomnmenace(m): 10:29am On Oct 02, 2013
Me sef wan know cool
Re: How To Do A Car Tune Up by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 02, 2013
Drjephthah80: Pls what is involved in a car tune up

Car tune up is a process of keeping ones car in its best condition possible the aim of car tune up is basically to keep the car in its very efficient and effective form thus getting maximum safety, economy, performance, and ultimately longevity of the car and its parts. Virtually every part of a car needs tune up from the body, to the engine, transmission, tyres, brakes, interior. People sometimes confuse the term car tune up to mean pimping/upgrade/love vendor. Basically, they aren't always the same. Car tune up entails you sticking to manufacturers default settings for mechanisms and parts. While love vendor/pimping/upgrade may go as far as reprogramming the vehicles ECU, changing tyres and wheels to custom, modifying headlamps, chairs, power output and torque of engine, body modification/sculpture, custom paint job, height and suspension modification, interior feel etc to meet the owner's perceived taste or to enable that car undertake a task which it was not necessarily suppose to do.

For example, at default, my car might only have 200hp and 260 torque, and meant for touring, if I tune it up, it may not necessarliy chang the values and its default intended usage, but if I Love vendor/love-vendor/upgrade it, I might want to change the looks, its height, handling, and power to say 600Hp and 730 torque, and modify it for a race track usage.

For car tune up, you could just start with clean up of body with water and any manufacturers recommended cleaning solution to rid off mud, carcass, plants, salt deposits, grease etc, waxing and polishing of paint to enhance the longevity of paint job, routine checks such as headlights aim and alignment, turn signal check brake, park, hazard light checks, routine/ periodic engine coolant checks, transmission fluid, steering fluid, brake fluid, engine oil check and change when necessary, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter check and replacement at recommended schedules, brake wear check, steering free play check accelerator pedal check, idle check, bake pedal, wheel alignment and balance check, tyre wear out check and rotation and clutch check, etc and correction when necessary.

With all these and more checks, and correction/replacement, you can say you have done car tune up.

Hope my explanation is simplified and clearly understood?

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Car Tune Up by Drjephthah80: 11:32am On Oct 02, 2013
Thks lomomike for ur simplified explanation, i appreciate. But should it be done yearly cos i dnt ave d car manual?
Re: How To Do A Car Tune Up by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 02, 2013
Drjephthah80: Thks lomomike for ur simplified explanation, i appreciate. But should it be done yearly cos i dnt ave d car manual?

Car checks and tune ups are done on schedules depending on what is written in the owner's manual. It could be daily. weekly, forthnightly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annual, or even based on other parameters such as miles travelled by the car.

what type of car is it? I might help u get a soft copy PDF file if I know the car .
Re: How To Do A Car Tune Up by Drjephthah80: 12:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
Its a nissan primera 97 with a 1.6 capacity engine and 16 valve, will b grateful if i cud lay my hands on d pdf file
Re: How To Do A Car Tune Up by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
I'm sorry brother, I don't have the manual for your car, however, you can check online for it.
Re: How To Do A Car Tune Up by Drjephthah80: 2:00pm On Oct 02, 2013
Once again thks for ur imput

(1) (Reply)

Which Toyota Model Is This? / Look No Further... Its The Brake Pads / Graphics Photo : OMG! Truck Crushes Woman’s Legs To A Pulp In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.