Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation (10717 Views)

Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa / Illusion Or Reality: Gospel Of Economic Self- Sufficiency In Bayelsa / Rice Self-sufficiency: FG Flags-off Another Round Of Dry Season Rice Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by Afolabs101: 10:58am On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: GEJ is right about now in Kogi to commission a 456MW Geregu II Power Plant which he built from scratch in about 3 years, part of 10 new Power Plants already built (a few almost completing) which wud provide a total of about 5000MW within d same period- this is apart d many Substations and thousands of kms of Transmission/Distributions Lines bn built across d nation; whilst, Fashola is commissioning very BIG Diesel Generators that wud light up only a few Govt offices and adjourning Street Lights!! And this even when d only reason Oga Fash is building these Big Generators- less than 10MW if am not mistaken- (which is a good thing by d way) is cos a certain GEJ has painstakingly undertaken the very complex job of Reforming/Liberalising d Power Market and implementing d Power Electricity Act (as acknowledged by Fashola here) as well as the fact that a large chunck of d money d LASG used in funding these mini power plants came from d CBN's #300bn Power/Aviation Fund set up by GEJ..... Oh, Yea! We know who d Action man and d Noisemaker (if there is any) wud be.... You, my frnd, are reali 'caseless'.

1- The NIPP's that you're talking about (including Geregu II) were conceived and started by the Obasanjo administration. It was stopped during Yar'adua's time over investigations into their cost.

2- Lagos State government are building Independent Power Plants that run on GAS o not DIESEL. If all of Lagos State sites are placed in clusters and powered by gas turbines, the state government's energy cost will be greatly reduced which means a reduction in the cost of governance in Lagos.

3- The Electric Power Sector Reform Act was signed into law by OBJ in 2005. This is the law that allowed for the privatisation of NEPA/PHCN and this law also allows for off-grid power generation and distribution. SO it is this law that allows Lagos state to build their power plants and come off grid.

4- While waiting for the discos, gencos and the transmission company of nigeria to improve our generation capacity, does it not make sense to set up gas turbines of between 1MW - 30MW for housing estates, industrial sites, government clusters etc?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by olalekan1(m): 11:03am On Oct 03, 2013
This is a good news. May be that is the reason why we have been enjoying not less than 20 hours of light per day in my area since last week.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by taharqa: 11:04am On Oct 03, 2013
casiraghi: • GEREGU power plant was initiated by OBJ
That was d 414 Geregu I Plant, which Obj started. It is both physically and legally DIFFERENT from this 456 Geregu II that is been commissioned today. This Geregu II plant construction started in August 2010 and just got completed by Siemens this year. Moreova, that other Geregu I plant OBJ started in 2004 I think, was completed in August 2011 by GEJ whilst d Transmission Lines and d Gas pipelines for d Plant was done entirely under GEJ. Geregu I was just sold to Elumelu's Cop last week; Geregu II wud be sold next year...

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by cyril10(m): 11:06am On Oct 03, 2013
Fashola and Akpabio are really doing their best in their respective states unlike other govs that are just crying fowl and running from pillar to post to be had by gullible nigerians, Fash carry go.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 03, 2013
caseless: aren't u asilly 1diot for quoting someone who has somethin to say and replying with insult..wthout making any sense?

I know your type, pretty much useless with family issues, trying to take out the hatred you grew up with on others.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by misto(m): 11:20am On Oct 03, 2013
Infomizer: Eko o ni baje o!

Wait! 500 level computer science student? Akokites, how far? The last time I checked, it was a 4-year course o!

computer science in unilag has been packaged as computer science nd engineering since 2009 or so making it a 5yrs course.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by Caseless: 11:21am On Oct 03, 2013
Promhize:

I know your type, pretty much useless with family issues, trying to take out the hatred you grew up with on others.
see this asinine filled wth bile pointing accusing finger of 'hate'. U ill-educated roos will not read , understand b4 lashing out at pple. What depicts hate in my post dat taharqa or d one u quoted? If stewpidity is symptomatic of u, i cant help u, dude. Sicktard, i have a happy farmily. Dont think the problem in ur farmily is in every farmily.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by taharqa: 11:22am On Oct 03, 2013
Afolabs101:

1- The NIPP's that you're talking about (including Geregu II) were conceived and started by the Obasanjo administration. It was stopped during Yar'adua's time over investigations into their cost.

2- Lagos State government are building Independent Power Plants that run on GAS o not DIESEL. If all of Lagos State sites are placed in clusters and powered by gas turbines, the state government's energy cost will be greatly reduced which means a reduction in the cost of governance in Lagos.

3- The Electric Power Sector Reform Act was signed into law by OBJ in 2005. This is the law that allowed for the privatisation of NEPA/PHCN and this law also allows for off-grid power generation and distribution. SO it is this law that allows Lagos state to build their power plants and come off grid.

4- While waiting for the discos, gencos and the transmission company of nigeria to improve our generation capacity, does it not make sense to set up gas turbines of between 1MW - 30MW for housing estates, industrial sites, government clusters etc?
GereguII was NOT started under OBJ; its construction started unda GEJ (see comment above).... The very Complex Implementation of the Power Electricity Bill practically started (except perhaps for d unbundling of PHCN ) unda GEJ in 2010/2011; Up to early 2012 for instance, no State Govt cud distribute any electricity even if it produces it.... Some of those mini Plants/Generators the LASG are building are evidently Gas-based, while sm are Diesel-based (and as I said, d programme is commendable)...... PS: I very generously acknowledge d very positive role played by OBJ in d Power Sector, particularly in his initiatives; but Assert that Virtuali all d Implementation (as well as sm other few initiatives) is been done by GEJ. It is GEJ that SAVED d Power Reform process and did/doing most of d work (Yar'adua for instance, not only didn't do almost nothing but in fact succeeded in initialing derailing it); any attempt to argue otherwise is what is been frowned on

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 03, 2013
caseless: see this asinine filled wth bile pointing accusing finger of 'hate'. U ill-educated roos will not read , understand b4 lashing out at pple. What depicts hate in my post dat taharqa or d one u quoted? If stewpidity is symptomatic of u, i cant help u, dude. Sicktard, i have a happy farmily. Dont think the problem in ur farmily is in every farmily.

The p in my family? LMAO
Stop being naïve, I wasn't referring to taharqa. Re-read the post

Cheers bro, I thought u were one of those silly tribalists
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by bodmasfem(m): 12:17pm On Oct 03, 2013
the last time I checked, power generation is still below 3000mw as at today, so what are u saying?
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by bodmasfem(m): 12:27pm On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: GEJ is right about now in Kogi to commission a 456MW Geregu II Power Plant which he built from scratch in about 3 years, part of 10 new Power Plants already built (a few almost completing) which wud provide a total of about 5000MW within d same period- this is apart d many Substations and thousands of kms of Transmission/Distributions Lines bn built across d nation; whilst, Fashola is commissioning very BIG Diesel Generators that wud light up only a few Govt offices and adjourning Street Lights!! And this even when d only reason Oga Fash is building these Big Generators- less than 10MW if am not mistaken- (which is a good thing by d way) is cos a certain GEJ has painstakingly undertaken the very complex job of Reforming/Liberalising d Power Market and implementing d Power Electricity Act (as acknowledged by Fashola here) as well as the fact that a large chunck of d money d LASG used in funding these mini power plants came from d CBN's #300bn Power/Aviation Fund set up by GEJ..... Oh, Yea! We know who d Action man and d Noisemaker (if there is any) wud be.... You, my frnd, are reali 'caseless'.

is that not the way they have been commissioning power plant towards election period but power situation continues to be bad? the last time I checked, power generation is still below 3000MW as at today, so what are u saying?
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by analryder: 12:33pm On Oct 03, 2013
caseless: save ur 50kobo cos u cant buy anything with it in nigeria. Must we join hand with the center b4 everything cud work perfectly well for u gej's apologists? Any state gov't's achievement that's unconnected to ur gej to take d credit will not get ur full 'undiluted support'.
FYI, we're clamouring for a true fedralism, and there is no better way to test-run it than how fashola is doing.

Forgetting about the politics from your first paragraph I really liked your response on the true fedralism. Nigeria would have been more developed if we've started long ago cos as we speak I know some places in Rivers and Akwa Ibom are with gas turbines and power is uninterrupted there, in the case of Akwa Ibom gradually its getting into the National grids to power the full state and people using it now are not paying a dime. If all regions owe development to itself Nigeria would be better and great not waiting for strangers to develop ur land
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by shogz89: 1:00pm On Oct 03, 2013
Promhize:

Keep praising yourselves, ode. Anambra power is almost 24/7, new power plant was just commissioned in aba few weeks ago. Enough of all these stupid tribal sentiments, at least you can't chase me away from southwest and I can't chase yorubas in southeast.

shut up mumu... anambra is no where near 6 hours self... go to awkuzu, okija orlu nd co ,,.. m a yoruba boy studyin there,, anambra is d most backward state in the east

1 Like

Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by adegwurulez(m): 1:07pm On Oct 03, 2013
naso we dey hear
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by oloba(m): 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2013
I cant rememba D last tym i On my Gen. Light dey here constant... I rep Akute
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by taharqa: 1:17pm On Oct 03, 2013
bodmasfem:

is that not the way they have been commissioning power plant towards election period but power situation continues to be bad? the last time I checked, power generation is still below 3000MW as at today, so what are u saying?
The last time I checked, Election is still about 2 years away...
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by plaindealer: 1:23pm On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: GereguII was NOT started under OBJ; its construction started unda GEJ (see comment above).... The very Complex Implementation of the Power Electricity Bill practically started (except perhaps for d unbundling of PHCN ) unda GEJ in 2010/2011; Up to early 2012 for instance, no State Govt cud distribute any electricity even if it produces it.... Some of those mini Plants/Generators the LASG are building are evidently Gas-based, while sm are Diesel-based (and as I said, d programme is commendable)...... PS: I very generously acknowledge d very positive role played by OBJ in d Power Sector, particularly in his initiatives; but Assert that Virtuali all d Implementation (as well as sm other few initiatives) is been done by GEJ. It is GEJ that SAVED d Power Reform process and did/doing most of d work (Yar'adua for instance, not only didn't do almost nothing but in fact succeeded in initialing derailing it); any attempt to argue otherwise is what is been frowned on

Geregu-I
Operator: Geregu Power plc
Configuration: 3 X 140 MW SGT5-2000E gas turbines
Operation: 2007
Fuel: natural gas
T/G supplier: Siemens
EPC: Siemens, SDEM Erectors Nigeria
Quick facts: On 1 Apr 2007, President Obasanjo commissioned the Geregu Power Plant, the first brand new power plant funded and commissioned by his administration.
The site is 200km south of Abuja. Geregu-I cost €195mn.

Geregu-II
Operator: Niger Delta Power Holding Co Ltd
Configuration: 3 X 145 MW SGT5-2000E gas turbines
Operation: 2012-2013
Fuel: natural gas
T/G supplier: Siemens
EPC: Siemens, STEAG
Quick facts: In Sep 2010, Siemens won a turnkey contract worth €230mn to build Geregu-II. The plant was turned over in Jun 2013 to

http://www.industcards.com/cc-nigeria.htm
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by segunoz(m): 1:29pm On Oct 03, 2013
So they will say! Bleep! I live in Lagos!
herbdull: Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, has said the state energy reform initiatives are yielding positive result with the state close to being self-sufficient in its power needs.
To this end, he said some public institutions were being moved out of the national grid and connected to the power being generated from the power plants built by the state government.
Fashola, according to a report yesterday by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), spoke during his engagement with a spectrum of residents and the Diaspora community on the social media platform, Google Plus Hangout.
The session was part of the build-up activities to mark October as the Energy Conservation Month, declared by the state government to sensitise residents on the importance of energy conservation and efficient use of available power.
The governor who answered questions from participants, said the objective of de-connecting some public institutions from the national grid and connecting them to the state power infrastructure was to ensure 24-hour uninterrupted power supply so that they could be more efficient in the delivery of services.
He said: “Working within what the Power Sector Reform Act permits, we are gradually entering self generation in Lagos State through our independent power plants. As you may be aware, we have an IPP at Akute and the Island Power Plant. In a few days, we shall be commissioning the Alausa Power Plant. Once this is done, government offices will be taken off the supply from the national grid and the power which we no longer need will be made available to Lagosians.”
The Google Plus Hangout was hosted by popular music rapper and Lagos State Energy Ambassador, Mr. Jude Abaga (M.I).
He was joined by five ‘Power Kids’ from Iju Senior Secondary School led by Master Gideon Osadare and Dimeji Lawal-Are, a 500-level Computer Science student, University of Lagos, leading four others from some tertiary institutions in the state.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-near-self-sufficiency-in-power-generation-says-fashola/160541/
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by taharqa: 1:34pm On Oct 03, 2013
plaindealer:

http://www.industcards.com/cc-nigeria.htm
Thank you for 'proving' d Points I was making in that comment...
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by plaindealer: 1:45pm On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: Thank you for 'proving' d Points I was making in that comment...

OBJ initiated built all the power plants GEJ is commissioning from AFAM to Omotosho, Olorunshogo, Geregu, Papalanto.

Lagos and federal power projects are 2 different things like apples and oranges.

FG power plants MWs have little or no effect on Nigerians because everything is fed into the inefficient and almost obsolete national grid while Lagos state is targeting specific areas with it's power plants which means Lagos state can provide uninterrupted power supply to many areas of the state while the FG with all it's power infrastructure can not to anyplace or any soul in Nigeria uninterrupted power supply. Spot the difference, it's easy....

Lagos state is running circles around the FG and their disgraceful power policies and it takes skills, dedication and creativity to do all that.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by emi2(m): 1:59pm On Oct 03, 2013
If orda,state govanors,wia lyk dat...i wud b a proud nigerian.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by bodmasfem(m): 2:03pm On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: The lart time I checked, Election is still about 2 years away...

election period is just a year and two months away. in fact, by the middle of next year, the tension abt electioneering campaign will be high
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by oduaboy1: 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2013
Promhize:

Keep praising yourselves, ode. Anambra power is almost 24/7, new power plant was just commissioned in aba few weeks ago. Enough of all these stupid tribal sentiments, at least you can't chase me away from southwest and I can't chase yorubas in southeast.
Lmao anambra must be in london,bloody pathological liar.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 03, 2013
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by Infomizer(m): 3:07pm On Oct 03, 2013
akin7686:
Update yourself, the program is now 5yr.
EKO O NI BAJE OH

misto:

computer science in unilag has been packaged as computer science nd engineering since 2009 or so making it a 5yrs course.

Make una no vex o! Na that time I go serve for Cameroon so you won't really blame me.I sha know that as at when I finished in '08, it was a 4-year course and apparently I've not kept up. Still, EKO BAJE TI!
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 03, 2013
shogz89:

shut up mumu... anambra is no where near 6 hours self... go to awkuzu, okija orlu nd co ,,.. m a yoruba boy studyin there,, anambra is d most backward state in the east

Its the most backward? Hatred will not kill you. If its the most backward then why are you studying there? Well most parts of Anambra (major parts) have considerable constant power. If u like knock yourself out.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by taharqa: 3:23pm On Oct 03, 2013
plaindealer:

OBJ initiated built all the power plants GEJ is commissioning from AFAM to Omotosho, Olorunshogo, Geregu, Papalanto.

Lagos and federal power projects are 2 different things like apples and oranges.

FG power plants MWs have little or no effect on Nigerians because everything is fed into the inefficient and almost obsolete national grid while Lagos state is targeting specific areas with it's power plants which means Lagos state can provide uninterrupted power supply to many areas of the state while the FG with all it's power infrastructure can not to anyplace or any soul in Nigeria uninterrupted power supply. Spot the difference, it's easy....

Lagos state is running circles around the FG and their disgraceful power policies and it takes skills, dedication and creativity to do all that.
One word for ya, Bros..... OLODO
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by wasiudvd(m): 3:26pm On Oct 03, 2013

GEJ build what from scratch? God! Must u pplr lie? 2008/2009 that Geregu power plant near Ajaokuta has been there. I can bet it was 85% completed b4 JEG resume office.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by agbameta: 3:29pm On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: One word for ya, Bros..... OLODO

This is what clowns like you say when they have zero knowledge to back up their ignorance. Don't get mad because your lies and ignorance got exposed.

You are another sad evidence of GEJ's failure and incompetency...
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by plaindealer: 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2013
agbameta:

This is what clowns like you say when they have zero knowledge to back up their ignorance. Don't get mad because your lies and ignorance got exposed.

You are another sad evidence of GEJ's failure and incompetency...

I won't pay that ignorant Dullard any attention.
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by plaindealer: 3:34pm On Oct 03, 2013
Promhize:

Its the most backward? Hatred will not kill you. If its the most backward then why are you studying there? Well most parts of Anambra (major parts) have considerable constant power. If u like knock yourself out.

For a president whose past claims on achievements, particularly about power supply had all turned out fictitious, and were roundly refuted by Nigerians, his remarks about Anambra state immediately stirred swift reactions from Nigerians.

A respondent, Oraneto Ndubuisi, affirmed, “For real, four weeks now”, while another, Toby Obaji, interjected, “Wait a minute, are you guys trying to say three hours or three weeks. Well, if its three hours …yes, sometimes. If you actually mean three weeks, then it’s not this Awka, might be the Awka in Japan.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/142187-president-jonathan-lied-on-awka-steady-electricity-claim-residents-say.html#/jobs

The people of Anambra are not on your side..
Re: Lagos Near Self Sufficiency In Power Generation by taharqa: 3:39pm On Oct 03, 2013
wasiudvd:

GEJ build what from scratch? God! Must u pplr lie? 2008/2009 that Geregu power plant near Ajaokuta has been there. I can bet it was 85% completed b4 JEG resume office.
Anoda OLODO.... Oya Read this page very well. Take special Note d diff bw Geregu I and Geregu II. Also Note d date when Geregu II contract was given AND when actual construction started.... Na your assignment be that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Don't Believe In Local Govt. Autonomy - LCDA Chairman / Israeli Secret Service Agent Guarding Nnamdi Kanu(pics) / Umahi Holds Rally In Ebonyi, Gives 3,480 Youths ₦2.6 Billion Startup Capital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.