Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars (27767 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by pelhurmy(m): 10:42am On Oct 03, 2013
na play dem dey....wetin poor people go dey use......they had beta start facing serious issues....mtchew
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by MostIncredibleDFirst: 10:43am On Oct 03, 2013
It will not work.
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by Danhumprey: 10:45am On Oct 03, 2013
This is mere talk and rectorics. We need real action! The government would do this,the government would do that. Hian! We are tired of hearing promises and policies initiation,but no action.
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by IdeeEsperanza(m): 10:46am On Oct 03, 2013
If the government will also stop importing cars too, then it's good.
I just dey imagine our president in his locally manufactured Innoson SUV grin grin
After a year, they should also ban importation of airplanes too. The locally made airbuses will be cheaper also.
Mstcheeeeeeew!!!

1 Like

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by Fadelex(m): 10:46am On Oct 03, 2013
sheyie2007: what is this one saying lipsrsealed
use ur head to think, stop using ur anus

4 Likes

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by Okijajuju1(m): 10:47am On Oct 03, 2013
Utter Rubbish......
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by Elueme: 10:48am On Oct 03, 2013
Good policy thoug but they should allow my just ordered Toyota salon to land Apapa port before implementing the new tariff.... shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by ITbomb(m): 10:50am On Oct 03, 2013
I wonder why this was cropped out which to me is the most important.
The Council also approved the directive that all government vehicles be purchased from local assembly plants unless they are of specialized nature and NAC has certified that they cannot be produced in Nigeria. The council’s decision is to be backed by appropriate legislation to give comfort to investors that there will be no abrupt change in policy
A big plus for local manufacturers.
If upon the high patronage of Toyota, they cannot establish even an Assembly plant in Nigeria, then government should sideline them for the benefit of the economy

4 Likes

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by mrperfect(m): 10:50am On Oct 03, 2013
That doesn't stop government producing new cars if they want, as what people are looking for is cheap, no one like used car.
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by dheaven: 10:53am On Oct 03, 2013
This is a nice development if you don’t have fund to a buy car use transport. Nigeria cannot continue to live backward. They should employ foreigners as lecturers in all Nigeria polytechnics to fast track knowledge in technology. Kudos to GEJ and its team.
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by amjyk: 10:59am On Oct 03, 2013
and u are proud 2 say it

author=Bossforeva]I'll Rather Smuggle A tokunbo Toyota Coaster then
going 4 Innoson buses with their Inbuilt plastic chairs?[/quote]
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by tolurainbow(m): 11:00am On Oct 03, 2013
D cars no fit last can u compare Nigeria coke with yankee coke..Mr man stop wasting ur tym..
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by tareigns(m): 11:02am On Oct 03, 2013
Make dem neva do dat 1 o...i hav not bye my buga ti - veron escalade,wit triplet exaust pipe nd double ignition. If dey stop it,hw dem want make i aquire dat machine?

1 Like

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by Memyselfu2009(m): 11:02am On Oct 03, 2013
If Gabon can manufacture cars why can't the so called giant of Africa do the same at list it would create job for our unemployed youth
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by dapsoneh: 11:06am On Oct 03, 2013
...While gov will continue to take d lead in d patronage of locally made vehicles... Hw many locally made vehicles are in aso rock?
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by amjyk: 11:06am On Oct 03, 2013
I strongly belive GEJ can make Nigeria great if giving the needed support with such laudable policy when operational will definitely make a great difference in our economic development.
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by dlinglos(f): 11:13am On Oct 03, 2013
Perhaps it will create job for our automobile engineering graduates!
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 03, 2013
mekaboy: The universities on strike will offer degree programs in course they know nothing about. Face other important issues first leave tokubo for now. No be light the factory go use produce the car?
Abi o...
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by konami001: 11:17am On Oct 03, 2013
Gives Jona rope.."Oh boy, tie this rope round your waist".
Gives him 2 horses... "Tie these horses to the end of that rope..."
Gives Jona cart... "Tie this cart to the horses.."

Rubs Jona head with his left hand.... "Oya, draw them dey go quick quick"...
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by sulemontar(m): 11:19am On Oct 03, 2013
rottennaija: good news
wats good abt it
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by rocso: 11:19am On Oct 03, 2013
Very good,hope they follow through with this plan,we are loosing billions of dollars each year on car importation.
Nigerians wake up,let us support what will boost the value of our currency.
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by Ademat7(m): 11:19am On Oct 03, 2013
I've discover dat jonathan is in haste to mk himself known 1. Remove subsidy on jan 1st witout providing alternative jst to prove he is working 2.now its on tokunbo. I knw industralizatn of a country nid 24/7 power supply nd gud educatn abt industralizatn should b d 1st tin if we want nigerians to b in gud positn nd not security alone.it is well wt nigeria

1 Like

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by sulemontar(m): 11:21am On Oct 03, 2013
Buddy dogg: this so great am happy. Now nigerian will be hoping to buy new cars
lol....D economy is badt aw mani people get money buy new car
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by AbdulKutigi(m): 11:29am On Oct 03, 2013
ghen ghen!!
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by ba7man(m): 11:29am On Oct 03, 2013
ebenezer4o2: Let's talk about the economic implications of this if followed to the letter.

If such cars are stoped from being imported into Nigeria,then here ceases to be a dumping ground and hence an increase in the assembly of local automobiles thereby fostering Job creation in the industry.

It brings about an equilibrium,to an extent in the export multiplier process thereby stabilizing the economy.

It also helps to spring up subsidiary industries.

All these are measures put together by the FG to strenghten the Naira and improve the economy as a whole.More are yet to come,kudos to the FG.
But first, for all these plans to be effective, you need a population that can actually afford brand new cars first.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by slimming: 11:31am On Oct 03, 2013
Who want car? New car all the way.
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by DisGuy: 11:31am On Oct 03, 2013
ANY LInk to this policy document or only govt officials have access to it?

He revealed that as a way to provide adequate local manpower for the industry, the Industrial Training Fund (ITF) is working with car-maker, Cena of Brazil, to open automotive training centres in Nigeria while two Nigerian universities have agreed to commence degree programmes in auto mechanical engineering.

no names?
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by jking001(m): 11:33am On Oct 03, 2013
President GEJ got it wrong this time,he can't just increase tarrif like that or phase out tokunbor cars without taking adequate steps to mitigate its effects on the masses he might loose support because some of his policies are not popular,95 percent of nigeria are poor who's advising the president,this is unrealistic .

2 Likes

Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by gerald09(m): 11:34am On Oct 03, 2013
ebenezer4o2: Let's talk about the economic implications of this if followed to the letter.

If such cars are stoped from being imported into Nigeria,then here ceases to be a dumping ground and hence an increase in the assembly of local automobiles thereby fostering Job creation in the industry.

It brings about an equilibrium,to an extent in the export multiplier process thereby stabilizing the economy.

It also helps to spring up subsidiary industries.

All these are measures put together by the FG to strenghten the Naira and improve the economy as a whole.More are yet to come,kudos to the FG.
Exactly what I had in mind, I see this as a good thing, yes d automobile industry is not strong but remember according to "there was a country" Chinwa Achabe 2013 After the west told us we won't be able to get a refinery in a long time, Nigerians build 1 in 1yr. Nigerians are very smart people if giving d opportunity. This policy will automatically sweeten d deal btw manufacturers and banks to give dem more loans to improve dere companies and employ more hands. We complained about rice importation but with less than a year of its policy Ebony rice demand has sky rocketed, @ Nnewi d people buy more of the local rice dan imported hence improving the industry this is just from my research and observation. Give it time, Nigeria will surprise u.
Re: FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 03, 2013
PUMP ORDINARY WATER THRU PIPES BEFORE TRYING SOMETHING TOO BIG FOR YOU.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pixs Of A Massive Car Manufacturing Plant In Kano You Never Believe Exist. / Between A Honda Accord And A Toyota Camry / Sad Experience With VIO Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.