Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:52 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (513381 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2013
italo:

Dominic Ignatius Cardinal Ekandem was the first Nigerian Cardinal and first West African Bishop. He became a Cardinal in 1976.

Father Paul Emechete was the first Nigerian Priest. He was ordained in 1920.

Thats my take on it too, just do not know about the date on Fr. Paul.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:43am On Oct 26, 2013
Rich4god:
Triumphant, Militant and Sufferings. tongue
Hope am right.
I want to know... Who is the first Nigerian...
Cardinal
Priest and
Bishop
Bishop

You are right, but the question wasn't fully answered. I stand by Italo's answer to your question. Hope we are right too.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:45am On Oct 26, 2013
Sal C:
The triumphant church: the saints who has made it to heaven.
The sufering church: the holy souls in purgatory.
The millitant or pilgrim church: we that are still alive thriving to make heaven.

Once again, you just got it right. With Christ as the head, these three; form the body.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:46am On Oct 26, 2013
italo:

Isnt it a great family we have?

One that death cannot scatter.

The triumphant pray for the militant/pilgrim; they, in turn, pray for the suffering.

One day, we'll all be together before our God. Amen! Amen!

Yeah, yeah, Amen! Amen!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:51am On Oct 26, 2013
italo:

Isnt it a great family we have?

One that death cannot scatter.

The triumphant pray for the militant/pilgrim; they, in turn, pray for the suffering.

One day, we'll all be together before our God. Amen! Amen!
Amen. Its really a great family.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 9:22am On Oct 26, 2013
Syncan:

Thats my take on it too, just do not know about the date on Fr. Paul.

Yes, there are quite a few conflicting accounts. But 1920 seems to be a general consensus. That's the date according to the SMA (Society of African Missions)

I believe they are as authoritative as it can get on this matter.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 4:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
damerry: Good morning brethrens,
@ sal c. All thanks to God, I'll always remember you in prayer.

Help!!!

Someone wants to know if Mary is omnipresent. I solicit the help of all Catholics on this forum, i don't have a spot-on answer for him so I've decided to invite all of you least i give him a heretic answer. You all invited, please come o

www.nairaland.com/1485580/mary-omnipresent-everywhere-thesame-time
this is what i found wen doin some reserch

The Glories of mary "first part" according to saint Alphonsus Liguon

The blessed virgin mary was chosen to be the mother of the king of kings. Accordingly, holy church honors her, with the glorious title of "Queen"

saint Athanasius mentions how proper this is in his sermon on the Annunciation: "if he who was born of the virgin is a king, then the one who bore him is rightly called a Lady and a Queen"
ever since the moment that mary gave her consent to be the mother of the enternal word, adds saint Bernerdine of siena, she deserve to be called the Queen of the whole word and of every creature in it.
If Jesus took his flesh from Mary, how can Mary be disjoined from the royal dignity of her son
So asks Arnold the Abbot. We must conclude, he infers that not only the kingdom's glory, but the very kingdom itself belong to both the son and mother.

The Abbot Rupert also says that if Jesus is the king of the universe, then Mary is its Queen.

Saint Bernardine of siena also assures us that all creatures who serve God must also serve Mary. All men, all things in heaven and on earth, inasmuch as they are subject to God's dominion, are also subject to Mary

that is why Abbot Guerric turns to Mary and says: "continue, o Mary, to feel that all that your son possesses is yours. Have no hesitation in acting as a Queen, as mother of the king and as his spouse, for both the kingdom and the power over it belong to you"

YES, Mary is omnipotent, Remarks Richard of saint Lawrence for by even law the Queen enjoys the same privilages as the king and since the power of a son and that of a mother ar the same, a mother is made omnipotent by an omnipotent son. "and thus" says saint Antoninus "God has placed the whole church not only under the petronage, but also under the dominion of Mary"

Since the mother, then, should have the same power as the son Jesus, who is omnipotent has also made mary omnipotent; though of course it is always true that the while Jesus is omnipotent by nature, Mary is omnipotent by grace.

Brethren, what do you think
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 5:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
For me, the key thing is: all she is, she derives from God.

And with God, ALL things are possible.

If we can do ALL things, with God, then we cannot even begin to imagine the power of the blessed virgin.

Sometimes I wish I were a woman so I could just imagine what it would have felt like to carry the God - creator of the world in my womb...

...then I immediately say to myself: far be it from me that I should even imagine it...filthy worm that I am.

Mama Maria just dey on another level abeg.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
Where is Mr Aladin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:23pm On Oct 26, 2013
woky: this is what i found wen doin some reserch

The Glories of mary "first part" according to saint Alphonsus Liguon

The blessed virgin mary was chosen to be the mother of the king of kings. Accordingly, holy church honors her, with the glorious title of "Queen"

saint Athanasius mentions how proper this is in his sermon on the Annunciation: "if he who was born of the virgin is a king, then the one who bore him is rightly called a Lady and a Queen"
ever since the moment that mary gave her consent to be the mother of the enternal word, adds saint Bernerdine of siena, she deserve to be called the Queen of the whole word and of every creature in it.
If Jesus took his flesh from Mary, how can Mary be disjoined from the royal dignity of her son
So asks Arnold the Abbot. We must conclude, he infers that not only the kingdom's glory, but the very kingdom itself belong to both the son and mother.

The Abbot Rupert also says that if Jesus is the king of the universe, then Mary is its Queen.

Saint Bernardine of siena also assures us that all creatures who serve God must also serve Mary. All men, all things in heaven and on earth, inasmuch as they are subject to God's dominion, are also subject to Mary

that is why Abbot Guerric turns to Mary and says: "continue, o Mary, to feel that all that your son possesses is yours. Have no hesitation in acting as a Queen, as mother of the king and as his spouse, for both the kingdom and the power over it belong to you"

YES, Mary is omnipotent, Remarks Richard of saint Lawrence for by even law the Queen enjoys the same privilages as the king and since the power of a son and that of a mother ar the same, a mother is made omnipotent by an omnipotent son. "and thus" says saint Antoninus "God has placed the whole church not only under the petronage, but also under the dominion of Mary"

Since the mother, then, should have the same power as the son Jesus, who is omnipotent has also made mary omnipotent; though of course it is always true that the while Jesus is omnipotent by nature, Mary is omnipotent by grace.

Brethren, what do you think
Yes Jesus is omnipotent by nature while our blessed mother is omnipotent by grace. That says it all.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 10:16pm On Oct 26, 2013
Tomorrow is sunday... During mass, remeber to oray for those who for one reason or the other wont be able to make it to mass. Glory to Jesus...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 10:47pm On Oct 26, 2013
People like me who are planning to go to another parish because 2moro is harvest in theirs cheesy grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
babestell: People like me who are planning to go to another parish because 2moro is harvest in theirs cheesy grin
You are running away, that's not fair oo.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
Rich4god: Tomorrow is sunday... During mass, remeber to oray for those who for one reason or the other wont be able to make it to mass. Glory to Jesus...
Honour to Mary.

People like me yeah not because tomorrow is harvest sunday in my parish.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 11:26pm On Oct 26, 2013
embarassed
Sal C, you know our Church respects traditions and the tradition in PH is that on the day your parish has harvest, port to another one. Becos the mass will drag and drag and drag. As a well trained catholic babe. I have to comply grin grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 12:06am On Oct 27, 2013
babestell: embarassed
Sal C, you know our Church respects traditions and the tradition in PH is that on the day your parish has harvest, port to another one. Becos the mass will drag and drag and drag. As a well trained catholic babe. I have to comply grin grin
Lol... Chai.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:30am On Oct 27, 2013
babestell: embarassed
Na wa o.... if everybody dey port, who go come do d harvest. For me, its not a good idea.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:42am On Oct 27, 2013
@Rich4god are u back from church If yes please let me know, I have a question for you.

Happy sunday brethren.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 10:54am On Oct 27, 2013
Happi Sunday ^^^

Today's gospel talks about d need of humility in our day-day affairs especially during prayer.

Many a time, we exalt ourselves with self righteousness and debase others whom we feel do not measure up to the same level of righteousness we claim to have attained. Hence we tag them as sinners. We Fill ourselves with the heavy cross of pride which thwarts away blessings because it fills every available space and leaves no room for anything Good .

Even when we do pray, we tend to present our "credentials" to God and justify ourselves as worthy thinking God will be partial and favour us due to the vast number of merits in the "credentials" we present before him in prayers. This is exactly what the pharisee in Today's gospel did.
But the truth always remains that God is merciful to all and he cannot be bribed, he brings down kings from their throne and exalts the lowly, the starving he feeds with Good things and sends the Rich away empty.

Like the Tax collector in Today's gospel, we should learn to come before God with a humble heart, acknowledging our shortcomings, seeking for pardon and at d same time trust in His mercies and Goodness.

We should also learn not to judge others, and God will not Judge us. I leave you with a quote from Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska.
Do have a wonderful sunday and a superb week ahead. Peace

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:05am On Oct 27, 2013
^^^Nice one.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:20am On Oct 27, 2013
Yes humility is the mother of all virtues.
That reminds me of the book titled" The Victory Of Humility"

May God help us.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 12:35pm On Oct 27, 2013
The parish here in PH usually has 6 masses on sunday, but for bazaar and harevest they have one mass that starts at 8am and closes at 2pm or later. Imagine a parish like St Dominic's Yaba doing that of course people will port, there are more efficent ways to do harvest and still raise funds.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 12:47pm On Oct 27, 2013
babestell: The parish here in PH usually has 6 masses on sunday, but for bazaar and harevest they have one mass that starts at 8am and closes at 2pm or later. Imagine a parish like St Dominic's Yaba doing that of course people will port, there are more efficent ways to do harvest and still raise funds.
In other words, you actually did port?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2013
Yes na....I went to the Chaiplancy at CIWA and they did their fruit harvest today but everything was within the normal 2 hours for mass and the father still gave a wonderful homily on sacrifice and thanksgiving.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2013
babestell: Yes na....I went to the Chaiplancy at CIWA and they did their fruit harvest today but everything was within the normal 2 hours for mass and the father still gave a wonderful homily on sacrifice and thanksgiving.
Hmm. Ok
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 1:15pm On Oct 27, 2013
babestell: The parish here in PH usually has 6 masses on sunday, but for bazaar and harevest they have one mass that starts at 8am and closes at 2pm or later. Imagine a parish like St Dominic's Yaba doing that of course people will port, there are more efficent ways to do harvest and still raise funds.

shocked

What?! 8am - 2am?! And after that you're supposed to wait behind for the bazaar.

Why dont they just have like 2 or 3 masses instead of having just 1 to replace 6?!

I remember experiencing something close to that when I visited Maiduguri (that was in fact when Boko started this violent campaign 2009), I was a visitor so I didnt know it was harvest Sunday. See me na...observing communion fast. Hunger almost killed me that day at mass. At a point I wasnt even understanding anything anymore. I went out of the mass to look for food but they wouldnt sell because mass was going on. That day was something else. Food I no chop; mass, my mind no dey. Shey it would have been better to "port."

Now I know why St. Dominic stretches much of harvest activities over a number of months (harvest season). It makes for a more relaxed harvest day.

Maybe they can borrow a leaf.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:31pm On Oct 27, 2013
d harvest thing is just too much, i'm with family in edo state and they forced me to their harvest, since 8am i'm just returning from mass, i even didn't stay for the bazaar, this harvest thing is like a plan of d 'enemies' to murder me with hunger.
Let me stop here and satisfy my stomach.@dam thank for reminding me about d topic of todays homily.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 1:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
Bazaar is an opportunity to sell plaintain and co to parishoners, I grew up in St Dominics looking forward to harvest every year because I was sure of going home with one gift or the other. I heard someone tried to start the spinning wheel game here and some peeps said it was gambling lipsrsealed.
On a lighter note, it seems that plaintain has over taken yam as the symbol of harvest and bazaar grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 1:53pm On Oct 27, 2013
^^^

Whats the difference between spinning wheel and the lottery most parishes have (buy ticket, win a car etc)?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 2:08pm On Oct 27, 2013
Most churches in the east don't do lottery. At least I haven't seen any.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:13pm On Oct 27, 2013

hmm, Mater Misericodiae.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:24pm On Oct 27, 2013
Harvest and bazaar just like every other thing should tow the path of moderation, however the strain of finance in parishes push many beyond acceptable limits. Money is once again distracting the church from her purpose, and that's what the Pope is talking about. We need money, Yes we should raise funds, but it should not distract us from seeing clearly such that we place too much burden on the faithful.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.