Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? (5000 Views)

7 Igbos Who Could Be President Come 2019 / Buhari may not be nigeria's president come may 29 / Rochas Okorocha (imo State Governor Elect) To Be President Come 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by deen(m): 7:37pm On Jun 06, 2006
With the latest political development in Nigeria and the position people in this forum (i.e. youth) are going to fill "leadership", I believe sensitive issues like zoning the presidency should be discuss on a neutral platform like this.

Personally I feel zoning the apex position will not solve our problem of bad leadership in this country. We should all look for a young, transparent, dynamic and with the interest of masses at heart. He doesn't have to come from the south, north, south-west, north-east, north-central, south-east, north-west or south-south. He just have to be a Nigerian.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 7:39pm On Jun 06, 2006
He should come from the South-West or South-East. At least there, you are less likely to come up with a retard.

Some of the south-south States are also solid. Like Edo and Ondo.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by Badman888(m): 7:57pm On Jun 06, 2006
he should come from south-south and i think that is what is gonna happen. PDP are shortlisting south-south governors
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by deen(m): 8:02pm On Jun 06, 2006
Hey guys are you being idealistic or sentimental
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 8:16pm On Jun 06, 2006
I am being real. The country is not yet ready for another Northern President.

1 Like

Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by deen(m): 8:19pm On Jun 06, 2006
@badman888
the way must governor from the south-south are behaving is wanderful. We all kn most of them support the third term agenda, they not only support but donate money to make it a success. i wander how on earth now is there time to fill the position or is it total hypocricy.

What about courageous governors like kalu who have been figthing boldly for the position. Where are they all when obj still wants to come back. Do they bother to tell nigerians that it is there time to rule

@afeni
real or idealistic
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 8:22pm On Jun 06, 2006
deen, OBJ is a lot better than Buhari or IBB. Those who opposed the third term were only doing so because of IBB's money. They know the danger that would result in another tyrant ruling Nigeria. It very well might be the end of this abomination they call Nigeria.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by deen(m): 8:30pm On Jun 06, 2006
Afeni if you call your country of origin abomination then i dont have much to discuss with you,but pls give me your reasons why you feel that we should zone the Precidency.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 8:34pm On Jun 06, 2006
This has less to do with actually zoning the country, and more to do with what the people can bear. Face it, Nigerians are tired of the core North ruling over us. We have our entire economic wrecked under their mumu Generals. Enough is enough

As for my comments about Nigeria being an Abomination, it is the truth. And don't give me that crap about country of origin/patriotic B.S., because we won't be in this damn Nigeria if the British did not think it would be kool to create the giant of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by andy4wisdom(m): 8:41pm On Jun 06, 2006
I THINK OJUKWU SHOULD BE THE PRESIDENT grin

WELCOME TO CHRISTIAN REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA. (ah , i 4get say i bi tiv boy.)
But I support am

MNAA MAKE UNA SEE ME SEE TROUBLE OOOOOO www.

[url][/url]www.
check the currency. shocked
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by deen(m): 8:42pm On Jun 06, 2006
"What people can bear" give me a break. You dont sound like being in nigeria and you didnt sound like nigerian either.
So when you say the 'core north'. What are you insinuating.

For how long have you been abroad
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by exu(m): 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2006
He should come from the South-West or South-East. At least there, you are less likely to come up with a retard.

I THINK OJUKWU SHOULD BE THE PRESIDENT

lolol.

You guys crack me up.

On a serious note what is this nonsense I've been reading over here about how there is a plan to have the Presidency return to the North?

Also, but more importantly, why is this even necessary and what have Northern leaders done in their own part of the country to show that they deserve to have the Presidency?
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2006
Core North are the Northern States - middle belt. There, you get it now?

And I am a Nigerian (not by choice. Blame the British), but whatever, I couldn't careless if you don't think I am a Nigeria. Not like there is anything to be proud of by being a Nigerian.

Clearly, I have been abroad long enough to realize that Nigeria is a lesson on how not to build a country.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 8:48pm On Jun 06, 2006
exu, they implemented sharia that fueled riots that led to the deaths of thousands of Nigerians. sad
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by deen(m): 8:55pm On Jun 06, 2006
@afeni
Now i know why poeple like you should not decide who is going to rule this country Nigeria
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 8:57pm On Jun 06, 2006
deen, not having people like me decide who rules Nigeria is exactly the reason why Nigeria is in such a mess. Its fine, enjoy your lackluster state.

Don't forget to unleash the iron hand. For that is the only thing that keeps your precious country of fake borders alive. One Nigeria, right? cry
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by exu(m): 9:03pm On Jun 06, 2006
Seriously though if anyone can show me a Northern Donald Duke- or someone who even comes close- then they will have my support.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 9:05pm On Jun 06, 2006
Exu, the only Northerner that stands out is the Governor of Zamfara. At least he was able to implement sharia with out any clashes. That has to count for something, doesn't it? cool

Ofcourse, ruling over a State with a 99 percent muslim population must help a lot.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by my2cents(m): 9:57pm On Jun 06, 2006
Where the person is from shdnt matter. What shd matter is that the person has Nigeria's (as opposed to his/her's) interest at heart.

In my opinion, it is only when we c ourselves as Nigerians and not wa or zo or bia that Nigeria will be the country it once was and is destined to be.

As always, my 2 cents
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 10:04pm On Jun 06, 2006
my2cents, what about there being no basis on which to form a country don't you understand? Face it, the foundation is not there. Nigeria should have never existed. Britain should have taken Prime empires and joined them with regions that they had semi control over. That would have led to a more natural transition in the country.

For instance, instead of Nigeria, South-Western Nigeria + Edo+ Ondo+ Delta+Kogi + Kwara +Parts of Niger State and most of Benin and parts of Togo should have been joined together to form a country. All those regions I mentioned have a long history of being under the direct and indirect influence of the Oyo empire, and until the people of Kwara converted to Islam and began to wage civil war against the Oyo empire, things were going pretty well. That is the basis that should be used to form a nation. Not some stupid abomination made up by men that couldn't even speak 1/6th of the language of natives whose land they felt it was their destiny to carve up and make into states. That is the reason why sub Saharan Africa is freaking mess.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by my2cents(m): 10:16pm On Jun 06, 2006
Afeni,

I agree with you 100%. In fact I brought up something similar on another thread, but I didn't wanna bring it up here as I thought it would be off-topic smiley

On this thread, I decided to act as if there are no internal problems. In other words, I wanted to say what pple wanted to hear. Saying what I would really want to say:

There should be no president of Nigeria cos Nigeria isn't a nation. A nation is a group of pple tied together by similar culture. Other than 419 grin and a few others, we aren't tied together by anything. We should go back to the way we were b4 - individual independent tribes (of course that won't happen).

Yes, oyibo is responsible for the squabbles we are experiencing now. As someone once said, divided we fall, united we stand. Indeed, if the whole of Africa were united, oyibo no for get chance at allllll.

Better for you Afeni? wink
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 10:22pm On Jun 06, 2006
my2cent, but I don't want a united Africa. United Nigeria is already bad enough. I just want State borders that make sense. As it is now, the borders in ALL sub Saharan Africans countries are fake. That is not right. Only in Africa do you have more internal threat to the nation than you do from external forces. That just isn't right. It is also not right to call on Nigerians to act as one when they come from many different cultures. They have never been one and at this rate, it would take hundreds of years to make Nigeria one. Wasting 200 or so years to come up with national identity is time we do not have. Lets go back to the drawing board, and at the very least create 3 semi autonomous regions.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by my2cents(m): 10:27pm On Jun 06, 2006
ah Afeni,

You forget - who will be part of these 3 regions? Will the smaller tribes want to be a part of it? Very complex indeed. Even if we had 250 regions, I can guarantee that someone in some village will find a reason to say he is being marginalized. Finally but unfortunately, cos of oil, such divisions wouldn't be attainable, and it cd b Biafra all over again.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by exu(m): 10:31pm On Jun 06, 2006
It's no real suprise that the most prosperous country in Africa is Botswana- a nation with sensible borders based on a clear majority ethnic group.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 10:35pm On Jun 06, 2006
my2cents, there are not 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria. You must understand that the basis on which ethnic groups are defined is very shady. A lot of these so called 250 groups are actually just splinter cells of larger groups. You can see the splinter cell happening right now if you view the Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi that often side with the northerners. They are Yorubas, but their cultural roots are being eroded due to their acceptance of Islam. They are now siding with the Hausas over their traditional Yorubas that mainly practice Christianity and traditional Gods.

That is the reason why we must act fast. We must save certain groups from going too far away from the original design for them to be re-introduce to the larger body. All those so called smaller groups are strongly influenced by the larger groups, and even if they had no desire to join the larger body, they have no choice. They would have been swallowed up had the British not have intervened. Technically, all the smaller groups are either Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa that failed to fully naturalize into their destiny.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by my2cents(m): 10:42pm On Jun 06, 2006
I think the problem with our clear majority (and yes, I will be going there) is that they contribute nothing to the coffers of the nation, yet seek maximum benefit from it. Not to mention, especially after the civil war, that certain majority has felt that the presidency was their birthright. Also, in order to prevent another Biafra, they concentrate certain strategic resources in their region.

So the others who seek equitable sharing of the national cake and get none, get agitated. Yet cos they are too small and not united, they can't come up with a united candidate to stick it to "the man". Result, the certain united majority keep on ruling. For the very same reasons, we couldn't even come up with a lingua franca some years ago.

Coming to think of it, perhaps what would really work would be a revolving presidency, changing hands every 2 yrs or so. It worked in the early days of America prior to the constitution (anyone who tells me the first president of America, I go give am $20 grin) and am sure it could work in our case. Of course, the question arises, who would go first? Simple - flip a coin, agree mutually, whatever. It can be done.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by my2cents(m): 10:44pm On Jun 06, 2006
Technically, all the smaller groups are either Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa that failed to fully naturalize into their destiny.

I don't think so. No offense, but a short trip down history lane would definitely dispell this one man cool
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 10:46pm On Jun 06, 2006
my2cent, I don't that is a valid solution. That would just lead to a every one taking turns looting the coffers of the State.
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 10:47pm On Jun 06, 2006
my2cent, I have sturdied a lot of Nigerian pre-colonial history. Trust me, I a right.
What ethnic group do you from?
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by my2cents(m): 10:58pm On Jun 06, 2006
Ibibio.

Some argue that we were a part of Ibo. Some go as far as saying we were their slaves who later on rebelled. Far from it. We followed totally different migratory patterns from what some claim to be our starting point of Sudan.

I've got the books. The one I read wasn't even written by a Nigerian. Of course I am sure you've got yours. So in the end, it boils down to whose is right. I would probably take that written by an independent person any day. Then again, what do I know? wink
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by DaHitler(m): 10:59pm On Jun 06, 2006
my2cent, are the ibibios the majority in any State?
Re: Where Should Nigeria's Next President Come From? by exu(m): 11:03pm On Jun 06, 2006
Akwa Ibom?

I believe they're a slight majority.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Can’t Pay Minimum Wage Until 2012 –fg / ECOWAS To Send 3,000 Troops To Mali / Nigeria Will Rather Break For Buhari To Be President- FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.