Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,849 members, 7,813,881 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Cremation Of The Dead In Lagos Is Rubbish - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cremation Of The Dead In Lagos Is Rubbish (1148 Views)

"Lagos Is No Man's Land": A Misconception. / Cremation Of The Dead / Cremation Should Be Introduced In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cremation Of The Dead In Lagos Is Rubbish by yemiprof(m): 1:22pm On Oct 05, 2013
With deep sorrow in my heart, I write this you all at Nairaland.
A female friend of mine lost her Aunt on thursday but when I heard I just condoles with her but I wasn't so sad because I don't know her aunt.
Today, I realize with her Display pictures and Personal message that she is till mourning her, so I ping her to ask if she was @ home but I was shocked and almost weeping when she replied ”no because they are BURNING her today".
I feel this Cremation/burning of the dead that Gov. Fashola signed to law is rubbish, it is against out culture and life here in Nigeria, it saddening and more sorrowful to see your Loved one remains being burned. very sad. I'm not happy at all.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead In Lagos Is Rubbish by PAPAAFRICA: 7:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
I want to be cremated.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead In Lagos Is Rubbish by TemmyTee82(f): 12:01am On Oct 06, 2013
It is not compulsory na. You (or rather, your relatives) decide whether you will be cremated.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead In Lagos Is Rubbish by MetaPhysical: 7:17am On Oct 06, 2013
yemi prof: With deep sorrow in my heart, I write this you all at Nairaland.
A female friend of mine lost her Aunt on thursday but when I heard I just condoles with her but I wasn't so sad because I don't know her aunt.
Today, I realize with her Display pictures and Personal message that she is till mourning her, so I ping her to ask if she was @ home but I was shocked and almost weeping when she replied ”no because they are BURNING her today".
I feel this Cremation/burning of the dead that Gov. Fashola signed to law is rubbish, it is against out culture and life here in Nigeria, it saddening and more sorrowful to see your Loved one remains being burned. very sad. I'm not happy at all.

We are so enamored by Fashola's scholarship that we get afraid to criticize him in fear that his positions is at all times intelligent and anyone in opposition to Fashola is anti-intelligence. No one wants to be labeled illiterate so everyone nod to the decisions of the governor, good, bad and ugly.

We do not have scholars in Africa. If we did our rate of growth and development will be at par with our academic accomplishments and laurels, individually earned and or the collective combine. What we do is mimick! We copy and institute a mirror of Western culture and our effectiveness at doing this is what we regard as scholarship and intellectualism.

Africans love soccer and there are many stadiums built in this continent. We have been turning out engineers for over 50yrs. Name one stadium in Africa built from end to end by a Black African engineer or a party of them. None!

We love politics and as symbols of our thirst for power we erect huge palaces and monumental estates that we call Presidential Villa. Out of all these many villas in Africa name one built end to end by native ingenuity.

But we build many churches, mosques, fast food restaurants and now, as you said, we have copied and mimicked the art of body cremation. Pretty soon it will be upgraded out of the reach of poor people and once the elites of society start to subscribe it will become symbol of socialite and we will start the rat race to see who can have their relative burnt with the best accoutements that crematoriums can offer.

1st person conversation:
My Uncle's ash was sealed in a silver urn.

2nd person:
Oh really, have you seen the platinum urn sitting on Ayo's bookshelf? Its imported from Germany, they were going to use iroko wood from Agege to burn his Aunt but he intervened and ordered oak instead, from USA. I hear the platinum is encrusted too.

grin grin

How soon after this do we have before the intelligent crew dump homose.xuality rights law on us and make it legal for Phillip and Jimoh to wear lip stick and wig in our society?

Baba GOD, please guide those who we look up to for social guidance, Amen.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Edos And The Rains / Mi O Le Wa Je Ki Awujo Ero Ayelujara Ma Dari Igbesi Aye Mi - Kate Henshaw / 6 Most Bizarre African Cultural Practice Still In Existence.[pics]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.