Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,899 members, 7,834,985 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Cremation Of The Dead - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cremation Of The Dead (1393 Views)

Cremation Of The Dead In Lagos Is Rubbish / Cremation Should Be Introduced In Nigeria. / Candle Light For The Dead, How Relevant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cremation Of The Dead by Saib4Jesus: 7:23pm On Jul 16, 2012
Should it be legalised in Nigeria.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 16, 2012
^Yes - not just in Nigeria, but around Africa..
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by Caracta(f): 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2012
Why should it be legalized? What's the economic implication?
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:27am On Jul 17, 2012
yes it should be. there is no land space with all these christians and muslims setting up graveyards. in the end we wont have space to move. angry
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by Ptolomeus(m): 5:34pm On Jul 17, 2012
The traditional culture does not approve of cremation.
The natural process is the decomposition and recycling of matter from the earth.
But of course, everyone has the right to choose.
My respects.

1 Like

Re: Cremation Of The Dead by Ybutterfly: 6:34pm On Jul 17, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ undecided
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by ifyalways(f): 9:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
yes it should be. there is no land space with all these christians and muslims setting up graveyards. in the end we wont have space to move. angry
does burying properly affect "the land negatively"?
Is cremation our culture?
@topic,I agree with Ptolomeus.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:06pm On Jul 17, 2012
sometimes we leave our bodies to nature for the animals to feast on the meat in the bush. but i dont like organised burial. its a waste of land, a vital scarce resource to an economy.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by Ptolomeus(m): 11:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
My intention is not to start a discussion, much less even, with broyhers who I appreciate sincerely. My humble speech, trying to relate the theme of death, with cultural traditions. I believe that in the various African cultures, death has a profound cultural meaning. In fact, traditional ceremonies ritulaes are complex and extensive compared with the Occidentals
In African traditions, there are various deities responsibles for complying with the process of "recycling" of matter. Such is the example of Orisa
Somponnó (Shapaná, Xapaná, Omolu) and many others.
My comment, simply pointed to remember that aspect.
For the rest, all deserve respect reviews posted, and I have not authority, nor do I have no will, to judge other opinions.
My warm greetings to all!
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:17pm On Jul 18, 2012
ifyalways:
does burying properly affect "the land negatively"?
Is cremation our culture?
@topic,I agree with Ptolomeus.

it depends on what tribe you belong to.

no it doesnt affect the land negatively because it adds nutrients to the soil. but at the same time, it wastes land-space that could be used for something more useful.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by odumchi: 11:26pm On Jul 18, 2012
Personally, I don't believe in cremation. Even if legalized, it will still have its stigma.

In the Nigeria of today, most people look forward to a conventional burial in which they are laid to rest peacefully, and their bodies allowed to decompose naturally. In addition to this, most people (being either Christian or Muslim) would not accept cremation.

Even among the animists/traditional adherents, cremation would hold no ground. For example, in Igbo culture a man's body is to be laid to rest ceremoniously so that he may be allowed to join the ranks of his ancestors. If a man's body is cremated, he cannot be buried (and as a result, cannot enter the afterlife).
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:31pm On Jul 18, 2012
^^^^^^^^^

yes but the ancient Igbo did not have set burial grounds. they just went and buried them in the bush. but with the advent of organized cymetries, land is being wasted and it is a vital economic resource.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by odumchi: 11:35pm On Jul 18, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
^^^^^^^^^

yes but the ancient Igbo did not have set burial grounds. they just went and buried them in the bush. but with the advent of organized cymetries, land is being wasted and it is a vital economic resource.

In general Igbo culture, people were/are never buried in forests. Rather, they were buried within a compound or on any cleared land that one or one's relatives owned. Only people who had defiled the earth were thrown away into the forests to decompose. Being buried was seen as a priviledge not a right.

Cemetaries seem to be an urban thing. In the villages people are still buried the traditional way. Nowadays, some people are even buried within houses.

Anyway, I'd prefer to have people buried the natural way and set within the earth than to have them vaporized.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:01am On Jul 19, 2012
odumchi:

In general Igbo culture, people were/are never buried in forests. Rather, they were buried within a compound or on any cleared land that one or one's relatives owned. Only people who had defiled the earth were thrown away into the forests to decompose. Being buried was seen as a priviledge not a right.

Cemetaries seem to be an urban thing. In the villages people are still buried the traditional way. Nowadays, some people are even buried within houses.

Anyway, I'd prefer to have people buried the natural way and set within the earth than to have them vaporized.

oh really so then all Igbo must be rich enough to own land. . shocked
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by odumchi: 12:20am On Jul 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

oh really so then all Igbo must be rich enough to own land. . shocked

What I'm saying is that people were never burned into ashes and set into containers. Besides, in the olden days (and even today) most people owned land. Even if someone had no land, provisions would made for him to be buried as tradition demanded.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:35am On Jul 19, 2012
odumchi:

What I'm saying is that people were never burned into ashes and set into containers. Besides, in the olden days (and even today) most people owned land. Even if someone had no land, provisions would made for him to be buried as tradition demanded.

ok but with increasing world population and lack of provisions in the future, it will be difficult.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by odumchi: 12:38am On Jul 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

ok but with increasing world population and lack of provisions in the future, it will be difficult.

True.
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by Ptolomeus(m): 10:09pm On Jul 19, 2012
Excuse me.
There is a practice that can be said to have fallen into disuse, and forever bury a person in one place.
Generally, the dead are buried, until the first reduction takes place (if I remember correctly, three years), then further reduction, which removed the remains in a small box.
That's the way of running the vast majority of cemeteries ... and so does not address all the territory of a country, in burying the dead.
My warm greetings to all!
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:51pm On Jul 19, 2012
im talking about permanent marked graves, usually used by christians.

Re: Cremation Of The Dead by Ptolomeus(m): 5:42pm On Jul 20, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
im talking about permanent marked graves, usually used by christians.

Yeah, right. It exists, but is not common ... They are generally private cemeteries, with a high cost that only millionaires can afford.
It is strange that Christians choose that right?
In the Christian's soul (which is important) goes to heaven, and the body does not mean anything ...
Contradictory!

Paradoxically, the stone that is on our left seem to have two horns, like Satan!
Re: Cremation Of The Dead by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Yeah, right. It exists, but is not common ... They are generally private cemeteries, with a high cost that only millionaires can afford.
It is strange that Christians choose that right?
In the Christian's soul (which is important) goes to heaven, and the body does not mean anything ...
Contradictory!

Paradoxically, the stone that is on our left seem to have two horns, like Satan!

i dont get why one would want yourself to be remembered when you have not achieved anything great in life. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians From West Africa? / Akiolu Is NOT Oba Of Lagos State. / Traditional Marriages In Customs In Nigeria. Which One Have U Witnessed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.