Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,834 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Why Other Smartphones Won’t/will Never Have Cheap Plans Like Blackberry Devices. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Other Smartphones Won’t/will Never Have Cheap Plans Like Blackberry Devices. (1024 Views)

•» Extra Hidden Menus For Blackberry devices!!! Check it out!!! / How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... / Can Etisalat Blackberry Plan Work On Other Smartphones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Other Smartphones Won’t/will Never Have Cheap Plans Like Blackberry Devices. by Obaiyski(m): 8:52pm On Oct 05, 2013
In my deep heart that I brought out this information to my fellow Nigerian the trick behind BIS plan on bb devices because nobody is an Ireland of knowledge ….. But first you suppose to ask you self why it is this way by doing some research about it…

But let me relieve you of tension here…

This article which basically rounds up the complaints of a few non-blackberry users about the disparity between the costs of BlackBerry plans and data plans for other smartphones, the part that got me the most is the bit about getting the regulator to get the telecom providers to modify data plans…quite funny.

“Certain dissatisfied smartphone owners, using the #AndroidUsersDemandFairness, called on the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to get the telecoms providers to modify data plans for non-Blackberry smartphones in terms of cost and data amount.”

While, I do agree that there is room for better data pricing in these parts, folks need to understand first of all that data is expensive generally in Nigeria–whole sale pricing for the big buyers (those getting 100Mbps and up) is still about $200 (N32,000 approx) per Mb, Smaller buyers pay as much as $500 (N80,000 approx.) per Mb still. And we are talking wholesale pricing from the source! That’s before cost of transmission, power generation, profits, etc are added and passed on as retail prices to the customer. As seen below, Nigeria is about the most expensive place to buy internet in the world only second to Cuba which is just plain ridiculous! Cuba aside, the average broadband cost is around half of what we pay here…so data here is expensive. Period. (Why? I could write a whole post about this…probably will someday, but in summary, off the top of my head: Poor infrastructure, ridiculous cost of business, poor internet policy, and little government incentives.)
Broadband pricing worldwide via pingdom.com

Broadband pricing worldwide via www.pingdom.com

Now, why is BlackBerry data cheaper than other smartphone data? The answer to that lies in how BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) works, In summary, the connection a network gives a BIS subscriber is not to the internet in true sense, but to the BlackBerry servers, the BlackBerry Servers process the actual requests a BlackBerry phone makes, for example, trying to open a web page and sends it back to the BlackBerry as compressed bits of information that the phone decompresses. This data compression makes it possible for a BlackBerry to user to get up to 2x more web browsing, 4x more email and 2x more social networking than other smartphones on the same amount of data.

So seeing as this compression advantage exists, how can a network use it to its advantage? It has one of three choices. It can either lump BlackBerry devices with other devices and make them pay the same rate for data and provide the BlackBerry Internet Service as a free or paid add-on (US networks mostly do this). Or it can peg their data use to a threshold e.g 1GB which is theoretical seeing as most users will use less than a tenth of that and still charge a premium relative to what the customer would actually use but seems cheap to customer (compared to what other smartphone plans cost). E.g the average customer would use 50-80MB a month, but still pay full premium (e,g N1000) for that. Or a network can get REALLY creative and offer “unlimited data” by adding all the individual data caps per customer into one giant pool and making all the customers access that pool of data. If most users are average users (which is usually the case), the average users will balance out the heavy users. Quick example: Assume you have a million users each with 200MB allowance, but put in a general pool, if 80% of them use just 50MB a month, you’ll still have 80% of the data in that pool left for the remaining 20% who are heavy users. Everyone gets “unlimited data” of sorts, best of all (for the network) it can market “unlimited data” which has effects even I don’t have to explain. That’s how “unlimited” BlackBerry data plans come about.

Interestingly, these unlimited plans aren’t available to BlackBerry 10 users (to an extent), but I don’t hear them complaining. Like they say, “soup wey sweet, na money kill am” (translation: Sweet soup comes at a price). When you are considering a car, you have to think about the fuel and maintenance costs as well. Same should apply for every purchase…Smartphones inclusive.

Still want to picket NCC on that basis? Lol.

Source: http://www.techsuplex.com/2013/08/07/why-blackberry-plans-cheap/

1 Like

Re: Why Other Smartphones Won’t/will Never Have Cheap Plans Like Blackberry Devices. by zizky(m): 9:23pm On Oct 05, 2013
Interesting.Quite logical
Re: Why Other Smartphones Won’t/will Never Have Cheap Plans Like Blackberry Devices. by georgee(m): 9:28pm On Oct 05, 2013
hmmmmm
Re: Why Other Smartphones Won’t/will Never Have Cheap Plans Like Blackberry Devices. by ajasa4link: 9:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
U try bros,what is ur mtn staff number jare?....by the way, it's ISLAND of knowledge, not IRELAND of knowledge! wink
Re: Why Other Smartphones Won’t/will Never Have Cheap Plans Like Blackberry Devices. by Obaiyski(m): 11:30pm On Oct 05, 2013
Ok....Am only trying to help some people here.
Re: Why Other Smartphones Won’t/will Never Have Cheap Plans Like Blackberry Devices. by arizon101(m): 6:51am On Oct 07, 2013
Bros u de high wen u de type dis? Or u be mtn staff 'wana be'

(1) (Reply)

Gionee Elife S5.1 Super Slim Smartphone(available Soon In Nigeria) / See Spec & Price Of The Worlds Thinnest Phone - Coolpad Lvvi K1 Mini / Konga Messed Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.