Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,614 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures (6794 Views)

State Universities With The Best Infrastructures And Facilities- Pictures / FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / 7 Nigerian Varsities Emerge For World Bank Sponsored Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by jaryeh(m): 3:49am On Oct 06, 2013
bobbymore:
Yes, we have such deplorable conditions in our universities. The question is what does the Vice-chancellors of Universities do with all the fees paid by students, and rents paid by staff living in university quarters?. A breakdown of the fees show that students pay for maintenance, light, medical, sports, library, lab/audio visuals etc, lets say in a hostel the actual students supposed to stay in a room are 4. this number multiplied by hostel charge of N10,000. equals N40000, an average second generation university has at least 30,000 students. Multiply this number to the fees paid by full time students of N25,000 this equals N7500000000. This money can be used to maintain infrastructure, provide equipment in the Universities, but, this isn't the case. University management mis-management all the funds and expect government to provide money. Vice-chancellors connive with bursars to loot the system, after their tenure, they aren't probed. What happened in south south university after their riot a few years back. Each student was asked to pay N10000, from diploma, long distance, to Ph.D students. The school has a total population of over 40,000 students. Multiply that amount, it sums up to N400 million. They spent less than 10 million fixing the damage caused by students, what happened to the rest? What happened to the money? Part time students pay over N60000 a session. Multiply that by 10000 part time students it equals N600 million. The least fees a postgraduate student pays is N150000 a session. Multiply that by 3000 postgraduate students admitted, it equals N450 million. Some universities charge N15000 for P.G forms, multiply that by 3000 people who may apply it equals N45million. Now, for post ume exams, a students pays N2000 for the forms, multiply that 5000 students who may apply into a university, it equals N10 million, there's also the sale of forms for pre-degree and part time undergraduate programmes, monies run into millions of naira each year. The question is what happens to them? Government established TETFUND, there is ETF. This establishment raises billions for tertiary universities. The truth is until corruption is checked in the system it will be hard for us to move ahead. Now ASUU wants 3trillion naira? hmm, I laugh.

A very nice write-up

I really hope this gets to an EFCC official.

Source:www.nairaland.com/1465352/deplorable-state-infrastructure-nigerian-universities/5

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by tsleazy(m): 9:05am On Oct 06, 2013
jaryeh:

A very nice write-up

I really hope this gets to an EFCC official.

Source:www.nairaland.com/1465352/deplorable-state-infrastructure-nigerian-universities/5
first to comment..now lemme go back and read d thread

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by purpinkx(m): 12:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
In my school we pay 45k a semester but they still joined the strike and guess what ? It a state uni. ... Now that's funny

reading makes live much easier and i blame FG for not reading the " Terms And Conditions " before signing the ASUU business agreement
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by DICKtator: 12:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
So true. Corruption is here to stay

Law of equity at play here!!!

They are all the same.
Interest groups fighting for their interests.

When elephants fight,the grasses suffer!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by fingard02k(m): 12:29pm On Oct 07, 2013
booked
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by royale442(m): 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by rozayx5(m): 12:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
been wondering the same thing too, our Universities are being run by politicians in Academic gown, even if 3 trillion is released to them i can bet my hands that there wont be change, cause these old men will still chase after little girls before giving them marks undecided undecided
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
Corruption tinz
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by JENMAUCY(f): 12:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
Simple truth and sincere questions
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
the money is meant for the FG or State. it is not owned by the VC or anybody but the government.
this government therefore embezzle the money. the function of the VC is to make sure students pay. that's all
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by dada01(m): 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
First page tinzs. Just passing by

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by gboso1ne(m): 12:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
Booked space *NO TRESPASSING*
contact me for ur advertisement

buh na truth u talk old boy,4 UNIBEN dm get lyk 6 hostels,for only Hall 3,there are lyk 1920 legal occupants buh d grass dey overgrow b4 dm go even clear am with all d moni wen dm dey kolet. e 2 bad

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by onegig(m): 12:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
Thats one of the places i give Unilorin a big thumbs up. Hard to find a dirty toilet or dilapidated infrastructure. The works dept is always fixing things . Remembered when the whole school light bulb were changed to energy saving ones.

The universitys' admin should be held accountable for such rot in their institutions.

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by dridowu: 12:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
Corruption every sector in Nigeria
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by unmask: 12:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
Making assumptions on how much was collected without an accompanying note on how it was spent ain't right..... If you can show us a schools expenditure contrasted with their income.... Then you have a case.... Other than that it's just speculation

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by psychologist(m): 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
Infact I don vex

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Afam4eva(m): 12:46pm On Oct 07, 2013
These schools should be privatised for better maintenance.
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 07, 2013
Hmmmn,i think autonomous running of Varsities is the solution.
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by myOGAonTOP: 12:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
Now we have an idea bout where the 'limited funds' universities recieves goes to. And those lecturers want more money? 3.1 trillion?
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Iolo(m): 12:49pm On Oct 07, 2013
solidbroda: the money is meant for the FG or State. it is not owned by the VC or anybody but the government.
this government therefore embezzle the money. the function of the VC is to make sure students pay. that's all

FG owned Educational institutions don't remit money to the government...they receive from the FG but don't remit. The idea is that the FG is supposed to support whatever fees they collect from the students.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by highmood(m): 12:51pm On Oct 07, 2013
Well ur assumption is not all that bad and not all that good. But the fact still remains that our universities make a hell of money which they don't account for. In my school, an average of about 40000 come for post ume while some great number come for the pre degree entrance exam etc thereby making millions of naira. Though some universities try as much as possible to put infrastructures in place but many others divert the money collected from students for their own private biz. Honestly speaking I pity students schooling at the east because they pay much more for less quality compared to their counterpart in the west but this does not mean corruption cannot be found in universities in the western part of the country- there is corruption everywhere which came about as a result of greed and selfishness. Most sch govts made away with money believing they belong to one political party or the other and so can't be probed after the expiration of their tenure, yet they demand for more money from the government. Is this not the corruption they accuses the other? The fact is that politics should be kept far away from the corridor of our school system if they want it to improve. Neither the government nor the school authority should not play politics with our education. With this in place both parties could be vindicated from every accusation and the school unions would press for their demand and receive the sympathy and understanding of the public and other organization. But the case of ASUU and GOVERNMENT disagreement is a case of a kettle calling a pot black.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Dospix(m): 12:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
These are the questions we need to ask before we join the bandwagon of ASUU whimpers. I will continue to hold my opinon on this ensuing stalement: the federal government will be doing this nation a great disservice if they eventually oblige the agitation of ASUU. Until the Federal government is able to curtail the massive corruption and lackadaisical attitude portrayed by a great number of our lecturers towards the affairs of our universities, no amount of money pumped into our universities would hold waters.

8 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by infoscope(m): 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Get ur facts, these are mere speculations
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by kenedy175(m): 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2013
@0.P, you have a point there. but you should know that not all Nigerian universities pay such exorbitant fees. I school in unimaid where postgraduate fees is N85,000. part time undergraduates pay N 28,000. the highest fee paid by an undergraduate stdnt (someone reading medicine) is N21, 000. hostel accommodation is just N6,000.... There is little or no corruption in Northern universities. acceptance fee in unimaid is just N2, 000 while by jnr brother in FUTO paid N25,000 2 yrs back. so the question is, will all universities esp northern universities meet up with paying the end allowances from their IGR?
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
Am I still in the first page?choi make this tin no carry me 2nd page ooo
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by wesley80(m): 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
Any honest person knows the so called ASUU members are responsible for most of the rot in the university system. What internal mechanism has ASUU put in place to curb lecturer excesses? How many ASUU members can swear they meet up 60% of their lecturing obligations? Instead what we have are lecturers that treat their lecturing jobs as their part - time job while they run around lookin for jobs in private uni's and other consultancy and research jobs. Virtually all Nigerian universities over the years have sordid tales of relentless sexual assaults by lecturers yet ASUU continues to act like Lecturers forcing female students to sleep with them is part of of tertiary schools curricular, I read somewhere how an American Professor was sacked for making a lewd remark at a female student while drunk, his offence was called 'sexual harassment'. When will our local pocket intellectuals realize their randiness is part of the rot in the system?
Th truth is funding is just a small part of the problem Nigerian universities face, the bulk of the problem lies with ASUU and her members and every sensible person knows it and this strike isnt over the education sector but lecturers supposed earned allowances.
By the way, ASUU just started sharing FG'S 30billion naira to lecturers which is about a years outstanding allowance to make the strike bearable for its members. In other words, you're suffering alone and the strike is set to last longer.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
I would have thought that money accrues to the FG purse, yes? Anyway, I doubt the tuition and other sundry fees can maintain the schools though, atleast, not the less than 25k per session tuition fees.
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by homesteady(m): 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
gboso1ne: Booked space *NO TRESPASSING*
contact me for ur advertisement

buh na truth u talk old boy,4 UNIBEN dm get lyk 6 hostels,for only Hall 3,there are lyk 1920 legal occupants buh d grass dey overgrow b4 dm go even clear am with all d moni wen dm dey kolet. e 2 bad

You did not mention how dirty the water tanks are! Yet people paid 8000 for hostel!
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
Thanks for this write up,u just brief me on what's going on in Nigerian University. Someone says he hope this get to EFCC,do u think they are nt in nairaland?
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
Nice.. I'd this thought process too. TBH, the amount we pay for our education, especially in state owned university is freaking much. Sometimes I keep wondering where these huge amount of money goes to, that ASUU should be demanding for 3trillion. I support that the FG honour their agreement but not this hilarious amount ASUU is demanding

It's not as if this lecturers teach all the time. I have one lecturer that sells handouts and don't teach but sets exams and expect his students to pass. Some don't teach untill a week before exams and he will stewpidly show uo and summarize what NO ONE understands.

My prob is that even if the FG gives them this amount, this idiiots called lecturers won't still give quality education to their students, all they are after is driving latest SUVs, collect "sorting and runs" money, sleeping with female students and building houses. I weep for our educational sector, it's abisymally low and pathetic
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by proudlysports: 1:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
Perhaps we should also ask how much these schools pay for NEPA bill, Water Bill, etc. Check how much is needed to paint each building, etc.
Re: A Nairalander's View On Nigerian Varsities Infrastructures by iterator25: 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2013
homesteady:

You did not mention how dirty the water tanks are! Yet people paid 8000 for hostel!
Nigerians don't protest , they like suffering and smiling.. how can you pay for accommodation and manintaince to get nothing Same goes for ordinary social amenities, nobody protests... they'd rather wait for the government to come fix it.. I think y'all are pathetic.. suffering don chop una yash.. if they install street lights (normal thing) una go celebrate.. smh

Go to south Africa, people protest to get ordinary public toilets let alone good roads

Last bullet:

Nigeria should be nuked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Wasn't JAMB Written In The Year 1996? / F1 Student Visa / Delta State JSSCE (JUNIOR WAEC) Result To Be Released Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.