Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,019 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

How Long A Distance Is Adviceable With Temporary Tyre? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Long A Distance Is Adviceable With Temporary Tyre? (1371 Views)

Advice On Long Distance Journey / FRSC Inpounding Vehicles With Temporary Numbers In Rivers State / The Best Tyre For Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long A Distance Is Adviceable With Temporary Tyre? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
waking up this morning to find our car wit deflated tyre yet ma eldr brother wana use temporary tyre n travel from Uyo to Calabar.this is nt going dwn well wt mi...advice welkomd!!!
Re: How Long A Distance Is Adviceable With Temporary Tyre? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 06, 2013
brooklyn49: waking up this morning to find our car wit deflated tyre yet ma eldr brother wana use temporary tyre n travel from Uyo to Calabar.this is nt going dwn well wt mi...advice welkomd!!!

Temporary spare should not be used to travel further than 50 miles (80 kms). And speeds should not exceed 50 mph (80 km/h).
Re: How Long A Distance Is Adviceable With Temporary Tyre? by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:05pm On Oct 06, 2013
brooklyn49: waking up this morning to find our car wit deflated tyre yet ma eldr brother wana use temporary tyre n travel from Uyo to Calabar.this is nt going dwn well wt mi...advice welkomd!!!

@Sienna answered well.

It is also highly recommended to replace the temporary spare tire with a full size tire if your car came with a temporary spare. The manufacturers were driven more by cost-cutting than safety in introducing those tires.

Can it be done? Yes. It happened to me. I was doing a 200km+ drive. In the daytime, Abuja to Bida, but because of factors beyond my control, i returned at night.

And guess what, my rear tire exploded after getting into a very bad pot hole, well am very good at swerving to avoid pot holes without losing control of the vehicle, but this was night, so i didn't swerve. I went in and came out with 3 tires. So i had to stop by the bush, that was so risky and did a tire change as quickly as I could and what did I change to? A temporary spare. I did over 180 km on the spare doing 80km and above.

It got me home safe.

But i was more careful since those tires cannot be as trusted as the full-size tires.

The truth is if you do more than 80km on those tires, it doesn't mean that the tire is going to explode but it means you are nearing the design limits of that tire and risking the vehicle and your life and if care is not taken the lives of others, am not sure its a wise thing to do.

Then again some maneuvers should not be done on such a tire, but when you are on the highway what's the guarantee that you might not have to make such maneuvers?

There is a lovely discussion on that topic here http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2144249/how-long-can-you-drive-on-a-factory-spare-tire-really and here http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/how-long-can-you-really-use-your-spare-tire-7710515
Re: How Long A Distance Is Adviceable With Temporary Tyre? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
wow....great job guys....tanx loads
Re: How Long A Distance Is Adviceable With Temporary Tyre? by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:50pm On Oct 06, 2013
brooklyn49: wow....great job guys....tanx loads

One more thing, I will never again use a temporary spare tire since I am not comfortable doing 80km/hr steady and also I think you should prevail on him to replace it with the full tire as I did

(1) (Reply)

The Most Ridiculous Thing You Saw Today / 2006 ML 350 / Meet The Official Car Of The Russian President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.