Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop (15322 Views)

Demon Is Occupying Enugu Government House – Archbishop Chukwuma / Buhari & Other APC Leaders With Archbishop Of Owerri (Photo) / Jonathan, Dickson, Archbishop Trade Words at Azazi's Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by gboso1ne(m): 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
Emmzalon:

Lol..ur GPA mustt be faulty

dey dere nake pant dey wear u
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by gboso1ne(m): 1:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
stephano100:
ur papa na lecturer?

ur papa na politician?
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by ayodeji752: 1:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
AnodaIT:
Sir, abeg to disagree. You are wrong
It is the FG that allows the strike to linger.
Is it not shameful that no Nigerian University is in the top 1000 in the world and government cannot implement the Agreement they sign to upgrade our universities.

instead of pressuring ASUU , turn that attention to the FG that are spending so much to maintain themselves
watz d schools doing wit their IGR dat is running to billions? D first university in nigeria was established in d year 1948 which makes it 65 years, ryt? Go and check d year of establishment of d so called first 1000 universities,most of dem if nt all are about 400years old. Dats how u ppl compare 53years old Nigeria with 237years old America

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by timwezzb(m): 1:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
Hmmmmmmmmmmm wytin againt will I say
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by blackpanda: 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
AnodaIT:
Is it not shameful that no Nigerian University is in the top 1000 in the world and government cannot implement the Agreement they sign to upgrade our universities.

instead of pressuring ASUU , turn that attention to the FG that are spending so much to maintain themselves

You are very correct. Everyone is shouting ASUU as if the strike started on basis of mere frivolity. Nigerians are so blessed with short memories and are highly impatient. If ASUU backs down everytime, do you think FG will ever listen to them. People should reason with their brains not with sentiments. Its unfortunate that students have to stay home for this long, but that just goes to show you the level of priority that education has in this country. BTW have you ever heard that members of the NASS were ever owed any money, or that the President was unable to pack his cronies on frivolous leisure trips due to lack of funds?? Nigerians wake up abeg!
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Memyselfu2009(m): 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
Most rating of Universities re been done with sentiment u know most country don't like nigeria we are been rate high in property illiteracy rate is high corruption rate is high etc the main fact is they see Nigerian with wealth of knowledge and they are just jealous only trying to demoralized us. Though our education is poorly funded and ASUU want money to the pump into education they fail to realize that there are other sectors which need to develop if you demand what the govt can't implement they wouldn't meet your demand by d way our universities are not been rated among the best universities but our student who graduate from our University go abroad to do there masters and they Re always the best in there class and they keep rating not among the best
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by mikewoques: 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
''You don’t go on a strike for
a long time, especially in a
sector like education, which
is the bedrock of the
development of any society.''

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by taharqa: 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2013
The National President of the Nigeria Union of Teachers, Mr. Michael Olukoye, while fielding questions from journalists reiterated his advice to the Federal Government to set up a team comprising the President, President of the Senate, Speaker of the House of Representatives and former presidents like Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and representatives of the Vice Chancellors to meet with ASUU and find a common ground to resolve the impasse.

Olukoye observed that members of ASUU refused to call off despite the government’s commitment because of lack of confidence in the government.

He said, “Immediately we gave that ultimatum the first person to invite us was the Minister of Labour and the Supervising Minister for Education, we met with them and they told us all that they have been able to do to put the matter behind us.

“We have not been able to meet with ASUU but we advised that if these people said they need about N400bn and you have been able to provide N130bn, well, to all intent and purposes, it is a good beginning.

Even the NUT who were gearing up to join ASUU on 'solidarity strike' just last week, after some explanation as to what is really going on, is beginning to get it now......
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Funpeter: 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2013
chumakk: he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day
How is he sure another day will come? He better fight now, that's how American do it take d bull by the horn. Even me am tired of ASSU lest see if they can bring down their ego.
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by AnodaIT(m): 1:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
Buddy dogg: what your prof.

For those who do not understand "Why ASUU is on strike" - Please read this and share widely.....

1. Less than 10% of the universities have Video Conferencing facility.

2. Less than 20% of the universities use Interactive Boards

3.More than 50% don’t use Public Address System in their lecture OVERCROWDED rooms/theatres.

4. Internet Services are non-existent,or epileptic and slow IN 99% of Nigerian Universities

5. Nigerian Universities Library resources are outdated and manually operated. Book shelves are homes to rats/cockroaches

6.No university library in Nigeria is fully automated. Less than 35% are partially automated.

7. 701 Development projects in Nigerian universities 163 (23.3%) are abandoned 538 (76.7%) are PERPETUALLY on-going projects

8. Some of the abandoned projects in Nigerian universities are over 15 years old, some are over 40 years old.

9. 76% of Nigerian universities use well as source of water, 45% use pit latrine, 67% of students use bush as toilet

10. UNN and UDUS have the highest number of abandoned projects (22 and 16 respectively).

11. All NDDC projects across universities in Niger Delta States are abandoned. About 84.6% of them are students’ hostels

12. 77% of Nigerian universities can be classified as "Glorified Primary Schools" Laboratories are non existing

13. There are 8 on-going projects at the Nasarawa State University, Keffi. None of them is funded by the State Government

14. 80% of Nigerian Universities are grossly[b] under-staffed[/b]

15. 78% of Nigerian Universities[b] rely heavily on part-time and visiting lecturers.[/b]

16. 88% of Nigerian Universities have under-qualified Academics

17. 90% of Nigerian Universities are bottom-heavy (with junior lecturers forming large chunk of the workforce)

18. Only 2% of Nigerian Universities attract expatriate lecturers, over 80% of Ghanian Universities attract same

19. 89% of Nigerian Universities have ‘closed’ (homogeneous staff – in terms of ethno-cultural background)

20. Based on the available data, there are 37,504 Academics in Nigerian Public Universities

21. 83% of the lecturers in Nigerian universities are male while 17% are female.

22. 23,030 (61.0%) of the lecturers are employed in Federal universities while 14,474 (39.0%) teach in State Universities.

23. The teaching staff-students ratio is EMBARRASSINGLY very high in many universities:

24. LECTURER STUDENT RATIO: National Open University of Nigeria 1:363 University of Abuja 1:122 Lagos State University 1:111

25. (Compare the above with Harvard 1:4; MIT 1:9; Yale 1:4, Cambridge 1:3; NUS 1:12; KFUPM 1:9; Technion 1:15).

26. Nigerian Universities Instead of having 100% Academics having PhDs, only about 43% do so. The remaining 57% have no PhDs

27. Nigerian University medical students trained in the most dangerous environment, some only see medical tools in books

28. Only 7 Nigerian Universities have up to 60% of their teaching staff with PhD qualifications

29. While majority of the universities in the country are grossly understaffed, a few cases present a pathetic picture

30. There are universities in Nigeria which the total number of Professors is not more than Five (5)

31. Kano University of Science and Technology Wudil, established in 2001 (11 years old) only 1 Professor and 25 PhD holders.

32. Kebbi State University of Science and Technology, Aliero, established in 2006 has only 2 Professors and 5 PhDs

33. Ondo State University of Sci & Tech Okitipupa, established in 2008, has a total of 29 lecturers.

34. MAKE-SHIFT LECTURING SYSTEM: Out of a total of 37,504 lecturers, only 28,128 (75%) are engaged on full-time basis.

35. 9,376 (25%) Nigerian Lecturers are recycled as Visiting, Adjunct, Sabbatical and Contract lecturers.

36. In Gombe State University, only 4 out of 47 Profs are full-time and all 25 Readers are visiting

37. In Plateau State University, Bokkos, 74% of the lecturers are visiting.

38. In Kaduna State University, only 24 out of 174 PhD holders are full-time staff.

39. 700 EX-MILLITANTS in Nigeria are receiving more funds anualy than 20 Nigerian universities under 'Amnesty Scam'

40. 80% of published journals by Nigerian University lectures have no visibility in the international knowledge community.

41. No Nigerian academic is in the league of Nobel Laureates or a nominee of Nobel Prize.

42. There are only 2 registered patents owned by Nigerian Academics in the last 3 years.

43. Numerically more support staff in the services of Nigerian universities than the teaching staff they are meant to support

44. More expenditure is incurred in administration & routine functions than in core academic matters in Nigerian Universities

45. There are 77,511 full-time non-teaching staff in Nigeria’s public universities 2 Times number of academic staff

46. University of Benin, there are more senior staff in the Registrar cadre (Dep. Registrars, PARs, SARs) than Professors

47. Almost all the universities are over-staffed with non- teaching staff

48. There are 1,252,913 students in Nigerian Public Universities. 43% Female 57%Male

49. There is no relationship between enrolment and the tangible manpower needs of Nigeria.

50. Nigerian Uni Horrible hostel facilities, overcrowded, overstretched lavatory and laundry facilities, poor sanitation,etc

51. Except Nigerian Defence Acadamy Kaduna, no university in Nigeria is able to accommodate more than 35% of its students.

52. Some universities (e.g. MOUAU),female students take their bath in d open because d bathrooms are in very poor condition.

53. Laundries and common rooms in many universities have been converted into rooms where students live, in open prison style.

54. In most improvised cage called hostels in Nigerian Universities, there is no limit to the number of occupants.

55. Most State universities charge commercial rates for unfit and unsuitable hostel accommodation

56. In off-campus hostels, students are susceptible to extraneous influences and violence prostitution, rape, gang violence

57. Nigerian University Students sitting on bare floor or peeping through windows to attend lectures

58. Over 1000 students being packed in lecture halls meant for less than 150 students

59. Over 400 Nigerian University students being packed in laboratory meant for 75 students

60. University administrators Spend millions to erect super-gates when their Libraries are still at foundation level; Expend millions to purchase exotic vehicles for university officers even though they lack basic classroom furnishings; Spend hundreds of millions in wall-fencing and in-fencing when students accommodation is inadequate and in tatters;

61. Govt interested in spending money on creation of new uni instead of consolidating and expanding access to existing ones; Keen to award new contracts rather than completing the abandoned projects or standardizing existing facilities; Expend hundreds of millions paying visiting and part-time lecturers rather than recruiting full-time staff

62. [b]Govt spending hundreds of millions in mundane administration cost [/b]instead of providing boreholes and power supplements; Govt hiring personal staff, including Personal Assistants, Special Advisers, Bodyguards, Personal Consultants, etc.

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Analyst42: 1:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
hammedkola: Too long to read, but from the topic....I have lost interest as well, now looking for a greener pasture

yes, too long to read, either because it does not affect u, or because you are a poor reader.
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by 2ndmay(m): 1:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
Pataki: What an utterly daft Archbishop.

Why not lose your eediotic sympathy for the FG that fails to honor an agreement?

What manner of evil beings continue to cloak themselves as men of gods in this country?!

Bros mind wat U say 2 people
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
ASUU was never fighting for the students.......... They are just like the lawmakers who claim to represent and fight for us while enriching and representing their pockets

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Funpeter: 1:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
Meringe: With due respect Your Lordship sir, if this strike will revamp our educational system and stop this half bake graduates syndrome then I am in fully support of it. It is better to strike now and get things right than going on strike every year.
But my problem is that, even if u give the lectures billion dollars, they will still ask for sorting and sexually harass their female students.

I will advice the president to heed to their demand then establish a strong Enforcement Unit in the varsities to take care of any one caught sorting or harassing any female student, outright SACK.
lolz come too state schools and see the so call master holder tormenting students life, let them start with what they have been offer first. Gullible lecturers.
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by salafiyy: 1:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
nothing is perfect in Nigeria
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by mikewoques: 1:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
''You don’t go on a strike for
a long time, especially in a
sector like education, which
is the bedrock of the
development of any society.''

ASSU is indeed fighting for causes other than the future of education in our country
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by salafiyy: 1:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
this is where we live to oppress ourselves
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by 10over101: 1:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
there is massive unemployment rate in the land..yet people wit d jobs go on incessant strikes ..demanding for outrageous salaries and allowances...nigerian workers are highly insstrumental to the unemployment problem in d country..imagine nigeria as your private company where ur workers get angry for reasons best known to then and decide to sit at home at wills and still get paid for zero workdone..i bet d company will soon fold up..everybody keeps blaming senators n honourables 4 dia huge salaries therefore workers too should follow same trend..two wrongs cant make right..with all honesty! university lecturers are still above average financially..gone are d days when teachers were very poor..no union had ever gone on strike to protest bad governance, insecurity, epileptic power etc all they want is salary increament...ASUU has never gone on strike to protest d high level of joblessness of students who graduate under them...tink twice

4 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by nerodenero: 1:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
hammedkola: Too long to read, but from the topic....I have lost interest as well, now looking for a greener pasture
Why do you want ASUU to resume strike when you dont like reading grin
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Buddydogg(m): 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
Analyst42:

yes, too long to read, either because it does not affect u, or because you are a poor reader.
no mine jo i c am na, nd me no qet e tym.

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Analyst42: 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
AnodaIT:

People are crying of hunger, u're complaining of imbalance diet. I am not a fan of Jona, & I do know that the Catholic church disagree with this govt on a lot of issues, but on this, ASSU is obviously losing it. Its glaring that they are being used.

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Slickest(m): 1:29pm On Oct 07, 2013
All u students on ASUU's side clamouring its sharing ur plight, its a pity ur still blinded by a wet towel, staying at home for 4months and counting is good for you abi? Just try to calculate all your broken semesters and sessions as a result of strike and see what it would amount to....itsl 3years(3 sessions) and counting...half baked or half done, you'll still join the unemployment train....stop fooling urselvs.. 4 ASUU, more grease to your broken elbows, God faya ena if ena call off d strike without govt meeting ur demands, as if any has ever been met!!!!!
And 4 our dolt FG who can't point @ their priorities, well done, kip lavishing our resources,@least ur lapses haunts u all...

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Maranzano(m): 1:30pm On Oct 07, 2013

Why not lose your eediotic sympathy for the FG that fails to honor an agreement?

What manner of evil beings continue to cloak themselves as men of gods in this country?!

Your insults do not take the truth away from his statement.Let e refresh your memories of what he said in case it was too long for your understanding;

[b]Catholic Archbishop of Jos, Most Rev. Ignatius Kaigama, on Sunday rued the prolonged strike by members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, saying he had lost sympathy for the lecturers.

Kaigama, who spoke at the 80th Anniversary of St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Jos, Plateau State, said that members of ASUU had lost focus on the cause for their battle.

The cleric said that ASUU, by allowing the strike to linger and allowing students to stay at home for four months running, had exhibited utter insensitivity to the plight of Nigerian students and their future.

He said he regretted that the association had failed to yield to pleas from all quarters, including the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria, stressing that ASUU had shown that it was fighting for other causes other than the future of education in the country.

Kaigama said, “Initially I was with ASUU, but when they have allowed the students to stay at home for four months now they begin to lose my sympathy. You don’t go on a strike for a long time, especially in a sector like education, which is the bedrock of the development of any society.

“You said you are fighting for the students and have allowed them to stay at home for more than four months, you must be fighting for something else. You have made your point and all I expect is that they should have listened to all the pleadings by Nigerians, including the Catholic Bishops Conference, which has just ended its meeting in Benue State and where we appealed to ASUU, in the interest of Nigerian students, to go back to the classroom” [/b]

[b]Dont allow sentiments to becloud your sense of responsibility. The Archbishop was right. There are unseen hands manipulating the leadership of ASUU. This is surely not in the interest of any student. 400Billion Naira will not solve the problem of outdated lecture notes, misappropriation of research grants and truancy among some occupants of our Ivory Towers. I hope Prof. Fagge and Gov. Kwankwaso are not in the same GROUP.

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by 2ndmay(m): 1:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
Pls peeps correct me if am wrong. I don't tink its ASUU's obligation 2 ask 4 infrastructural funding. D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ should be obligated 2 fight 4 deir welfare only in terms of salaries, allowances e.t.c. Governing councils or managements of skuls should be d̶̲̥̅̊ ones askin 4 infrastructural fundin. ASUU is takin dis tin 2 far. Pls correct me if am wrong.

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by clemmonce(m): 1:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
gboso1ne: Team #AsuuStrikeMustContinue *HIT LIKE*
HATE. i wish i can click it. bongerfish
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by eguityjustice(m): 1:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
gboso1ne: Our archbishop saying 130 bn is a good beginning like say na Iraq he dey wen FG sign this agreement since 2009,

if FG no implement am,make ASUU no just griey because me I no go fit stay house coz of strike afta dis 1 o
wht makes u think that they will emback on another strike if all their demands are met. they will still find another reason to go for another strike.

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
only a fool will hit the like option. angry
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Analyst42: 1:39pm On Oct 07, 2013

Your level of poor upbringing is evident. When the Catholic Archbishops criticise the govt, its applauded by people like u, but when its otherwise pple talk this way. I am not the type that insults the clergy, else I did say "Your IMAM IS A FOOL".

4 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by 10over101: 1:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
2ndmay: Pls peeps correct me if am wrong. I don't tink its ASUU's obligation 2 ask 4 infrastructural funding. D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ should be obligated 2 fight 4 deir welfare only in terms of salaries, allowances e.t.c. Governing councils or managements of skuls should be d̶̲̥̅̊ ones askin 4 infrastructural fundin. ASUU is takin dis tin 2 far. Pls correct me if am wrong.
well said..the ones on ground have not been maximized..truout my stay in school..there were sealed equipment dat were never touched..they only want to use dis excuse to enrich themselves..

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by 10over101: 1:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
Slickest: All u students on ASUU's side clamouring its sharing ur plight, its a pity ur still blinded by a wet towel, staying at home for 4months and counting is good for you abi? Just try to calculate all your broken semesters and sessions as a result of strike and see what it would amount to....itsl 3years(3 sessions) and counting...half baked or half done, you'll still join the unemployment train....stop fooling urselvs.. 4 ASUU, more grease to your broken elbows, God faya ena if ena call off d strike without govt meeting ur mumu demands!!!!!
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Dospix(m): 1:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
Team whimpers go rot in h*ll.
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by 10over101: 1:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
there is massive unemployment rate in the land..yet people wit d jobs go on incessant strikes ..demanding for outrageous salaries and allowances...nigerian workers are highly insstrumental to the unemployment problem in d country..imagine nigeria as your private company where ur workers get angry for reasons best known to then and decide to sit at home at wills and still get paid for zero workdone..i bet d company will soon fold up..everybody keeps blaming senators n honourables 4 dia huge salaries therefore workers too should follow same trend..two wrongs cant make right..with all honesty! university lecturers are still above average financially..gone are d days when teachers were very poor..no union had ever gone on strike to protest bad governance, insecurity, epileptic power etc all they want is salary increament...ASUU has never gone on strike to protest d high level of joblessness of students who graduate under them...tink twice

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sowore Vows To Sack Top Army Generals If Elected In 2019 / CJN Onnoghen’s Prosecution Shows No One Is Above The Law –sagay / CJN Onnoghen: Amaechi Replies Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.