Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,891 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants (18481 Views)

Foreigners To Be Charged To Access UK's NHS / UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students / No More Free Nhs For “foreigners” In Britain, This Includes “indefinite Leave To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ifebosco: 11:40am On Oct 07, 2013
crackhaus:
Just listen to yourself talk, this is the exact same attitude that Africans (especially Nigerians) are despised for. We think we are more important and useful than we actually are, we think every country we travel to should become a mini-Nigeria like it is our right. Prof. Wole Soyinka calls it the 'entitlement mentality', and it is something most young Nigerians feel within themselves.
My question for you is, how exactly do we (Nigerians) contribute to their economy? Because last I checked, UK born Nigerians don't speak the way you spoke, it is purely the Nigerian immigrants that carry their 'sense of entitlement' into another man's house.
I'm not supporting the move but call a spade a spade, if immigration decides (not that it officially will) to embargo Nigerian immigrants into the UK regardless of why they're going, their economy looses nothing...don't deceive yourself.
i feel you

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 07, 2013
coogar:

the last vestige of hope in the UK has just died. no more free health for immigrants? time to move to cambodia.

Coogar can be funny, Cambo what? cheesy

Can you do the khmer language? Ready to inure to the floods? Etc

I pray u're not serious.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ifebosco: 11:46am On Oct 07, 2013
El Guapo:

I pray u're not serious.
hablas mi idioma??por tu nombre
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Afam4eva(m): 11:46am On Oct 07, 2013
Dis Guy:

Sorry, what policies did Ashiru impliment that dealt with these people in the past?

Nigerians are still paying deposit to go to SA arent they?
He always gave them a dose of their medicine and the countries always succumbed at the end of the day.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Afam4eva(m): 11:47am On Oct 07, 2013
coogar:

the last vestige of hope in the UK has just died. no more free health for immigrants? time to move to cambodia.
It was only a matter of time. I have been vindicated. But i thought you preferred Somalia though.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by crackhaus: 11:47am On Oct 07, 2013
Symphony007: then seek out and deal specifically with those immigrants who abuse the system. Don't purnish innocent once who work hard and want a better life. After all is said and done. Even the government know that immigrants are essential. It's just like the u.s, they claim they hate mexican immigrants, but if not for them, who will spend hours havesting a giant farm for a few bucks. How many u.s citizens will do that?
Like I quoted someone before, don't deceive yourself bruv. Yes, immigrants are essential to any country but don't make it seem that without them, the country will be stale-mated.
As per your example of farms in the US, those jobs are actually reserved for Mexican immigrants because the government wouldn't want them to become a nuisance to society, not because Americans won't do the jobs. In fact, the moment Americans start being the most employed labour in such situations, the government will turn the system around to include welfare packages. That's how most advanced governments deal with their citizens, did you expect them to treat immigrants better than they do their own people?

Immigration is essential to economic growth but at the same time, can not be disastrous should it be reduced drastically.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ThaProphet(m): 11:47am On Oct 07, 2013
Kairoseki77:

The AU will need to fund itself before it can protect our interests.

China, the US, and the EU pay 60% of the AU budget.

He who pays the piper dictates the tune...

Truth!

2 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Symphony007: 11:54am On Oct 07, 2013
pappilo:

You are chatting rubbish. I am an immigrant (legal). I have had an ambulance come out to me about 4 times and had 2 children on the NHS. All completely free. I pay my taxes and I am entitled to it. My sister came over, had her children here and paid full price because she wasnt entitled to a free service. It costs money to run the NHS and if you havent contributed into it you have no righy to draw from it. Hold your leaders accountable. They all run here to treat minor ailments with your money, Tinunbu, PEJ, Sullivan Chime, Yar Adua, Suntai, Atiku to name a few.

Bear in mind, the NHS will take care of anybody that presents himself at a hospital, illegal or not. They will only try to recover costs after you've been discharged. I believe the current successful recovery rate is under 5%. Now compare this with Nigeria where an accident victim fast losing blood MUST pay a registration fee and deposit before being attended to.
you seem confused. I clearly stated that no industrialized nations turns away patients in need of emergency healthcare. If you pay or not afterwards was not our issue. So essentially you just retraited by point.

And finally, stop narrowing this debate down to healthcare. This is all about a prime minister wanting to satisfy his base so he'll keep his job. You have vans with ads moving around london telling immigrants to go home. You have immigrants, both legal and illegal being harrased unnecessarily. It is amusing that cameron spent his first few years in office driving austerity and fighting brussles but once ukip emerged, he remembers to crack down on immigrants.

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by DisGuy: 11:55am On Oct 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
He always gave them a dose of their medicine and the countries always succumbed at the end of the day.

I am only aware of the fake yellow paper row with South Africa....
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by anonimi: 12:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
manmustwac: Our Senators should stopping running to England anytime they catch a cold & do more to improve their own hospitals in their oen country

Is it ONLY our honourable SINators going to London for surgery and other sundry treatments
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Symphony007: 12:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
crackhaus:
Like I quoted someone before, don't deceive yourself bruv. Yes, immigrants are essential to any country but don't make it seem that without them, the country will be stale-mated.
As per your example of farms in the US, those jobs are actually reserved for Mexican immigrants because the government wouldn't want them to become a nuisance to society, not because Americans won't do the jobs. In fact, the moment Americans start being the most employed labour in such situations, the government will turn the system around to include welfare packages. That's how most advanced governments deal with their citizens, did you expect them to treat immigrants better than they do their own people?

Immigration is essential to economic growth but at the same time, can not be disastrous should it be reduced drastically.
spare me that....mexican immigrants are hired in u.s farms because they are more productive with less pay. They know they have no rights so they do as they are told. Endure all kinds of abuse and unfavourable working conditions. Go the employ full blown american citizens to work on your farm and first, you must pay the or above the minimum wage. You must make their working environment safe less they sue you, you must insure them against workplace accidents, you will give them perks like bonuses,etc....listen to me, immigrants are essential, the government knows it, buisness knows it. They work overtime and are essential for the country's growth but yet, when it suits the government, they blame them for every bad thing in the society.

3 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by pickabeau1: 12:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
Its about time...

The major issue are the EU guys.. romas and co
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 12:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
Lil B®ight™©:
Thank God I didn't apply for UK uni
What one did U apply for then?
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 12:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

The UK is making it very obvious that they don't want foreigners in their country anymore especially the illegal ones. There are loads of opportunities here on the African continent. Most parts of Europe are basting in their past glory ever since the global recession hit. So, it will be wise for Nigerians to look elsewhere for perceived 'greener pastures.'
200 quid is 50k naira,dont people pay as much as that in some crappy hospital when they fall ill in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by slimfit1(m): 12:19pm On Oct 07, 2013
Next week our president will come out and say they have flown a dog to Germany when the money could have been spent here. Can you all face your own business and let people who like there country carry on . you all have representatives ask them what laws have they made about our health system.

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by jamngr84(m): 12:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
Dis Guy:

I think students should be exempted from the proposal

I think visitors should be made to buy health insurance though just like other European countries
R students not visitors? abi na their papa land b that angry angry

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
nrd_geek: By Tim Ross, and David Barrett10:21PM BST 05 Oct 2013

End of free NHS care for migrants under new bill
Major restrictions on migrants’ free access to the NHS are to be introduced.
Figures published by the Office for National Statistics showed that 37,000 extra Romanian and Bulgarian workers have arrived since June last year.
There is uncertainty over how much is spent by the NHS on foreigners who are not entitled to free treatment.

Foreigners will have to prove that they are entitled to be in the country before they are given access to GPs and hospitals, while foreign students will have to make a “contribution” to the health service.
The measure will form the centrepiece of tough new legislation designed to reduce numbers entering the country and put pressure on illegal immigrants to leave.

A senior government source said it was an attempt to target “people who have no right to be here”.
Restricting access to the NHS is highly contentious politically.
GPs will be told they have to check that people seeking to register with them are here legally and issue only time-limited “NHS numbers” — the proof of entitlement to free care — to those who do not have a permanent right to be in the country.

Separately, students from outside Europe will have to pay a £200 levy before they can access the NHS.
Hospitals will be told to step up attempts to pursue “health tourists” for the cost of treatments they receive.
The measures will be outlined in the Immigration Bill, which is due to be put before Parliament within days.
It represents one of the most wide-ranging and ambitious pieces of legislation since the Coalition took office, spanning six Whitehall departments: health, local government, business, and transport, as well as the Home Office and the Ministry of Justice.
However, it will not affect migrants from inside the European Union, which is now the biggest single source of new arrivals.
Other elements of the Bill include:

• A ban on councils giving social housing to individuals with no connection to an area, with “penalties” if the rules are not followed;
• Fines of up to £3,000 if landlords do not conduct thorough background checks on their tenants to ensure they have a legal right to live in Britain, and fines of up to £20,000 for every illegal worker employed by unscrupulous businesses;
• A victory for The Sunday Telegraph’s campaign to end the farce that sees foreign criminals dodging deportation by appealing using the Human Rights Act.

Instead the law will allow immediate deportation and appeals from outside the country unless criminals can show they face “serious and irreversible harm” in their home countries.
The plans are intended to address what ministers see as public concern over the impact of the migration policies of the last Labour government.
The Bill is the Coalition’s flagship legislation for the year and Conservatives hope that the package of measures will allow them to win back voters who have been tempted to support the UK Independence Party.
“If you are not entitled to our free National Health Service you’ll have to pay for it,” a source said.
“If you are an illegal immigrant you won’t be able to rent a council flat and you won’t be able to rent a private sector flat.”
Many of the restrictions on free health treatment are likely to be opposed by some doctors, who have previously resisted attempts to make them “gatekeepers” to the NHS.

At present anyone registering for the first time at a GP is given an NHS number, which allows them to receive free treatment.
Under the reforms, they will have to prove they are entitled to be here to gain the number. By having no NHS number, they will be unable to receive anything except emergency treatment.
Jeremy Hunt, the Health Secretary, said: “We need to ensure that those residing or visiting the UK are contributing to the system, and that we do as much as possible to target illegal migration.
"We have a National Health Service not an international health service and I am determined to wipe out abuse in the system.”
The foreign students levy will end the current situation which allows free access to the NHS for all students here for more than six months.
Currently 300,000 students from outside Europe [/b]are studying at British universities.
Official projections have suggested that this number will rise to more than 480,000 by 2025.
Although [b]charging these students would raise less than £100 million
, ministers believe it would be a significant disincentive to those who would abuse the NHS.

Analysis of Home Office figures suggests that one in five foreign students will remain living in the UK five years after first arriving, and many will settle permanently.
Efforts to step up the pursuit of health tourists will also be included.
There is uncertainty over how much is spent by the NHS on foreigners who are not entitled to free treatment, with current estimates ranging from £3million to £300million, and fears the figure may be even higher... .

A separate tightening of the rules on unemployment benefits is likely to follow, which will not require an Act of Parliament to introduce.
Certain unemployment benefits for European nationals will be stopped after six months, under the plan to amend the Immigration Regulations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10358569/End-of-free-NHS-care-for-migrants-under-new-bill.html

i read d whole article, at least they didn't single out Nigeria in this one.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by DisGuy: 12:25pm On Oct 07, 2013
jamngr84:
R students not visitors? abi na their papa land b that angry angry

They are not visitors- some visitors go on to have 3-5 children then bolt without paying a dime
they are already paying tuition fees which is considerably higher than other European countries

or perharp the universities should cover it as an added on incentive

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by gnykelly(m): 12:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
thank God the free health care our leaders are getting outside naija is about to end. Maybe they will fix our hospital
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by coogar: 12:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
It was only a matter of time. I have been vindicated. But i thought you preferred Somalia though.

the bill won't be accepted - i trust the human rights group to shout it down. they would claim it's racism. we have heard of so many idiotic policies in the past and only few of them got endorsed.

El Guapo:

I pray u're not serious.

if you remove free health from this island then people would be generally screwed. cambodia & burma would be much better to live. what's UK without the NHS?

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by 50calibre(m): 12:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
The Tories are really turning up the heat for 2015, trying so hard to appeal to popular sentiments. What a demagogic party.

Maybe it's time for me to start my herbal clinic, where illegal immigrants & students can come for cheaper treatment.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by jamngr84(m): 12:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
[quote author=Dis Guy]

They are not visitors- some visitors go on to have 3-5 children then bolt without paying a dime
they are already paying tuition fees which is considerably higher than other European countries

or perharp the universities should cover it as an added on incentive[/quo
1. how many students come to the uk under the pretext of studying then disappear after a year?
2. how many students on completion of their studies go back when their visa expires?
Well the answer is a lot of them with only few actually staying with the right Visa.
When you say they are paying tuition fees, i do not doubt it, but they r receiving a service which they are paying for which would have been lower if they were not visitors.
We need to respect the laws we meet in other countries cause in one way or the other we foreigners are all visitors here whether we like it or not
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
ifebosco: i hope you learn something that can help africans,not the type of dimeji bankole,
Unlike some Nigerians I have met while travelling, I do intend to come back to settle down in Nigeria. There is nothing like home.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by crackhaus: 12:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
Symphony007: spare me that....mexican immigrants are hired in u.s farms because they are more productive with less pay. They know they have no rights so they do as they are told. Endure all kinds of abuse and unfavourable working conditions. Go the [b]employ full blown american citizens to work on your farm and first, you must pay the or above the minimum wage. You must make their working environment safe less they sue you, you must insure them against workplace accidents, you will give them perks like bonuses,etc....[/b]listen to me, immigrants are essential, the government knows it, buisness knows it. They work overtime and are essential for the country's growth but yet, [s]when it suits the government, they blame them for every bad thing in the society[/s].
Well thanks for making my point clearer with the bolded, at least now we know Americans will work on farms if the welfare packages are right.

As for the striked out part, that is based on what we call a round argument because we could go on and on about why immigrants (Nigerians or otherwise) should/should not be blamed for negative societal vices.
But maybe we can agree to disagree if you answer this question truthfully within yourself, If you have a child or a little brother/sister who runs crying home after a fight with a stranger, whom does your immediate instinct put the blame of the fight on...the stranger or one of your own?

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by bakynes(m): 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
David Cameron,Jeremy Hunt,Theresa May na wa for una o. Wetin Black pple do una every day na dis dat. Francophones citizens dey migrate go france everyday dem no dey face all dis harsh immigration issues. The stupid polish and Romanians and other Eastern Europeans coming in are the problem.They are entitled to everything British citizens get except they cant hold a political office. Students pay twice the amount Home and EU citizens pay and u no fit leave the free NHS for them. Everyday for radio and TV na to blame foreigners( black pple) for ur woes.The Britain u have today is made by the transatlantic slavery of the African pple what are you going to give back to them, all their resources u stole. You stop PSW after paying nothing less than 10,000 pds for tution. For all the students studying there better they come Naija coz these pple don tire to dey see black faces,the odd jobs u think u are the only ones that can do it, their white niggas (Eastern Europeans) can do it as well. Been there seen it all forget dat country, she is a racist country in disguise.

4 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by onyicindy: 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
areaboi: I've been a Nigerian student here for a year and the half now and i'm amongst the student who are not entitled to a PSW extension. I can tell you i regret coming to the UK to study, i swear down i feel like fucking my agent up. The issue is this, why would you pay 3 million for tuition fee when you're not going to benefit from the system after studying?. Whereas other students in Canada and US are given the opportunity. Moreover, you're placed on 20 hours per week, that's big time slavery as you'll find it hard to pay house rent and bills not to even talk of feeding and some other miscellaneous expenses. Infact, where's the job. I stayed for 5 months before i could manage to get a CLEANING JOB!!. Yes its as bad as that, WHO N COME TO KNOW men!!. Even getting a good related to your field is far more problematic, with all your certifications and qualifications experience matters here a lot. I can categorically tell you most Nigerian students on PSW are doing menial jobs just a few are given the professional jobs. UK is not like Nigeria where you can go and meet one aunty Tola to borrow you 50 pounds not to talk of give, here there's nothing like relatives. Relatives only come to the picture if you're doing well. Too many tori, its a bad experience.
. I understand perfectly wat you are saying, I just finished last year and I even had to come back to nigeria to apply for a visiting visa to attend my graduation. Wat a waste of money! My classmates that were oportuned to get the PSW are doing care jobs because they don't want to come to Nigeria and be unemployed. These UKpeople are doin everything possible to frustrate people from comin to their country despite the huge fees. SMH

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by onyicindy: 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
glory2glory: After all the expensive fees they collect from foreign students which is 3x what their citizens pay, why should'nt the students have access to free healthcare when they need it. Na wa for this UK, everyday new law to fustrate people.
the school fees is no more 3x wat home students pay. their fees has increased to 9k since last yr
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ThaProphet(m): 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2013
onyi cindy: . I understand perfectly wat you are saying, I just finished last year and I even had to come back to nigeria to apply for a visiting visa to attend my graduation. Wat a waste of money! My classmates that were oportuned to get the PSW are doing care jobs because they don't want to come to Nigeria and be unemployed. These UKpeople are doin everything possible to frustrate people from comin to their country despite the huge fees. SMH

Damn! Thats crazy. Man, I feel your pain.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by mystery001(m): 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2013
Much about the 2015 election. Bring up the immigration discussion and emotions pour in. A country where in an LLM class you find just one student from EU with the rest being international. A country where majority of corner shops and takeaways are owned by immigrants. This is not to neglect the number in medicals and hospitality. The immigrants outside EU deserve a better deal. But no one should cheat a system to his advantage. Pay for every pound if you're not entitled to use their NHS and other welfare policies. Illegal immigrants back off. Unfortunately migration is quite natural no matter the safeguards.

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by bakynes(m): 12:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
onyi cindy: the school fees is no more 3x wat home students pay. their fees has increased to 9k since last yr
But they get Student loans and can spread it over a good number of yrs.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Burger01(m): 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
Nigerians are still living in that pigeon hole of a place. Now, what with all these unfriendly hostilities to foreign students and immigrants Uk of all places. Mtcheew.

sad
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by mystery001(m): 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
ThaProphet:

Damn! Thats crazy. Man, I feel your pain.
Very painful! You have an additional of just about 4 months after your course end date in the Visa probably to take care of graduation and comot from their country

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Journalist Survives Accident After His Car Was Crushed In Lagos Traffic. Photos / Air Peace Begins Dubai Flight Today / Dana Crash: Relatives To Receive N16m Per Victim (Insurance)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.