Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,913 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? (8887 Views)

Erm, They Now Sell This In Public In Lagos? / Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG / Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by Greatpeter(m): 3:36pm On Aug 27, 2005
Smoking to some, it's a pleasure and to some it's very irritating.

I am of the opinion that smoking in public places should be banned.

Apart from my own biblical beliefs, I hate smoking and I reject it in it's all totality.

Health wise it is damaging, and not advisable.

Smoking is known to cause damages to lungs, heart e.tc.
Giving rise to sickness like Conductive heart failure (CCF) heart attack, Hypertension, and can cause Cancer of the lungs and so and so on.

Now, the casual smokers are more at risk than the potential smokers.

Casual smokers are those are non smokers but do inhale the smoke from the potential or habitual smokers.

Should one then use his own "enjoyment" so to say to destroy other's lives?

Because to the smokers they think it's a way of life.

What is your opinion about smoking?

Should smoking in public be tolerated or be banned?

What are the other hazards of smoking that you know?

Let's educate ourselves about this issue.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by nike4luv(f): 3:43pm On Aug 27, 2005
Smoking is an absolutely disgusting act, i mean its soo addictive children from age 10 upwards do it
its horrible to see school children all over the school with this horrible stench i personally hate it because it goves me headache and makes me sick instantly so i avoid people with it simply by not going in the same places with them

There is nothing worse than coming home from a bar or club after an evening out and finding that your clothes smell disgusting because they have been saturated with stench of smoke. I'm not the only one who is fed up of this, and I'm not some born again non-smoker, I just wish that I had a choice whether or not I came home smelling like a dirty ashtray.

Another thing that I really hate is walking down the street behind someone smoking a cigarette. Every time they exhale out comes that cloud of stale smoke and Bam..! you walk straight into it and aside from crossing over to the other side of the street there is very little you can do about it. It is not a pleasant experience and it is one I could live quite happily without.

The simple fact is though that smokers are affecting the health of non-smokers as well as their own. People die each year just because they have breathed other people’s smoke and that is something we really should be taking seriously. In my opinion an outright ban on smoking in public places is the only way forward.

i hope everyone gets my drift here
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by da808cutie(f): 6:17pm On Aug 27, 2005
YES! YES!! YES!!! Smoking in public should definitely be banned. its disgusting, pointless, smelly, inconsiderate n unhealty especially for d non-smokers. if smokers want to smoke, good n fine, but why not do it in private so they can die alone instead of trying to make us [non-smokers] all sick angry
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by layi(m): 8:07pm On Aug 27, 2005
True, its a free world but should we watch our selves die in the name of freedom. African human rights law states that:
" Freedom that infringes on the right of others is no freedom "
Casual smokin (inhaling anothers mans 'puff') is as dangerous as smoking.
Smoking in Public should be banned.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by exu(m): 12:49pm On Aug 28, 2005
yes, it should...
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by hotangel2(f): 5:14am On Aug 29, 2005
Oh hell Yes. It should be banned.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by Guardian(m): 11:32am On Aug 29, 2005
Greatpeter you ask said this
"I am of the opinion that smoking in public places should be banned."

Guardian says >
Please remember this -
1 . You just can't just run down other peoples right.
2. A better approach would be
- ban tobacco adverts,
- make manufacturers pay more ( tax, levies )
- Create laws that makes it mandatory for a tobacco seller to have a licence before he or she can sell tobbaco

3. Casual smokers are those are non smokers but do inhale the smoke from the potential or habitual smokers.
Guardian says > Yes, and that is where you have the right to ask the smoker to repect your right, by smoking else where or putting it off because it's a health hazard.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by exu(m): 1:26pm On Aug 29, 2005
@ guardian, the non-smoker shouldn't have to tell the smoker to smoke elsewhere, it should be the norm...

if people want to pollute their own bodies then that is their choice...
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by queen2(f): 1:57pm On Aug 29, 2005
This is a very good question.
YES, smoking should be banned.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by Greatpeter(m): 2:03pm On Aug 29, 2005
Guardian Pls put sentiments apart in this regard.
Don't because you are smoker promote indescent acts.
Smoking is hazardous and inimical to one's health so
why use your own enjoyment to creat everlasting sadness for others.
Is that justified?
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by twinkledew(f): 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2005
if i may ask are they trying to ban smoking in public places in Nigeria as well.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by Greatpeter(m): 2:43pm On Aug 29, 2005
Yes govt have been talking about it without any law(s) enacted.
No action expedised.

Our govt. is behaving like NATO in US.

NATO means No action Talk only.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by shockreaction(m): 4:33pm On Aug 29, 2005
First of all, there is nothing in the Bible against smoking. I really don't understand why people consider smoking as a sin.

I think there are ethics as regards smoking. Like no one is meant to smoke where they see a sticker/sign that states No Smoking. Enforcing/banning smoking in public places, is like, restricting a peron's rights. Also, if you want to smoking to be banned, vehicles which expel smoke, sometimes in excessive amounts, should be banned as well. Apparently, there's more carbon monoxide poisoning coming from these vehicles' exhausts than from smokers.

Several people smoke for various reasons, e.g. if they're nervous, during cold weather... Of course, there are health implications, which I am sure they're aware of, but they still do it. They're free to do whatever they like with their lives since they've been warned. Other things we consume too can be quite detrimental to our health, too, like sugar, cholesterol (mostly in oily junk food), and some other substances which we eat/drink.

PS: I'm not a smoker.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by yinkaboi(m): 8:15pm On Aug 31, 2005
Smoking ain't the best thing for any sensible individual. Of course, we all know it's bad [so] my contribution is going to be terse: stop turning your lungs and organs into suya - barbequed meat!
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by Greatpeter(m): 10:27pm On Aug 31, 2005
I want everybody to express his/herself on this issue but let us be myopic in our contributions.
Let's call a spade a spade.
No one is talking about the biblical aspects of it per se.
But it is there sir in the bible that our body is the temple of God...
And that any one who defiles the temple God will detroy.
So smoking is defiling the temple of God.

But we are looking at it healthwise.
please health is wealth.
No one can use his own enjoyment destroy my future.
I am a promising young guy.
I know that, I'm destined for greatness.
Hence the name Greatpeter.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by WesleyanA(f): 1:07am On Sep 01, 2005
smoking in general shouldn't be banned but public smoking should be. i don't want to die of second-hand smoke. undecided

@ shock reaction i know right? when any form of argument comes up. some people always try to bring the bible in it. the bible says... the bible says... rolleyes
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by angelak(f): 12:35pm On Sep 01, 2005
Smoking in public should be banned!

However,i don't want to be banned from the forum! cry
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by gina34(f): 12:57pm On Sep 01, 2005
yes it should be banned.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by Greatpeter(m): 6:10pm On Sep 01, 2005
angela k:

Smoking in public should be banned!

However,i don't want to be banned from the forum! cry

No one will ban you as far as you comply with the rules.

Smoking in public must be banned! I support it 100%
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by da808cutie(f): 11:29pm On Sep 01, 2005
@ Guardian n Shockreaction r u smokers? cos i really see no reason why u should be in support of endangering public lives. cos smoking perfectly defines this.
n pls [smokers] die alone if thats wot u want, some of us have great plans for our future....geeeezz!

Greatpeter:

Smoking in public must be banned! I support it 100%
i support it 110%
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by klex(m): 11:44am On Sep 02, 2005
i agree smoking should be banned in public, and it already is. I believe the ban was a policy engineered by the late prof. ransome kuti when he was the health minister.

The fact that you are not aware of this shows that its not enough to merely issue a legislation, because we have a miserable record of enforcement. For instance its already an offence to drop litter/refuse in a public place, to spit, and to do number one l(ets not even talk about number two) in public. But we all know what our eyes see in this country in flagrant disregard of the law! anybody who takes the flyover from dolphin/ fed secretariat early in the morning will feel me. I mean you see a long line of okada riders sitting on the edge of the flyover doing number two just a few metres away from a large police checkpoint.

Also look at this - when baba came in 99, it was reported in the news severally that baba was such a natural person that if he felt pressed, he would stop his convoy to ease himself by the roadside (he's a complete bushman if you ask me).

Maybe what we need to is to always insist that people not smoke around us, promote public enlightenment programs explaining the ills of second hand smoke as well as have law enforcement officers who are interested in performing their primary obligation and who are not the first in line to break the Law! maybe then our laws may just become effective.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by delarontus(f): 12:13pm On Sep 02, 2005
We can use this thread to pass a bill on smoking in public since everybody agrees that smoking should not be done in public because of the health risk it portends for non-smokers.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by klex(m): 12:46pm On Sep 02, 2005
delarontus:

We can use this thread to pass a bill on smoking in public since everybody agrees that smoking should not be done in public because of the health risk it portends for non-smokers.
That is the first step then others must follow. Like i said the issue is not a lack of legislation, but a lack of implementation/follow through.

Lets look beyond passing the law, what do you suggest after that?
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by delarontus(f): 4:41pm On Sep 02, 2005
The law has to be passed first because people will ask if they are committing any offence by smoking in public as they do not consider it a nuisance.

Once the law is passed, enforcement comes in and then punishment for disobeying the law.
In some countries, smoking has been banned in areas around schools and hospitals. Smoking rooms are also created for smokers within the office complex.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by Greatpeter(m): 11:43pm On Sep 02, 2005
Yes oo my sister even here in my place of work you can't just smoke anywhere there are designated rooms (smoking rooms) for which smokers can smoke.

It irritates me and make me sick when one smokes where I am.
But before the individual lights it i am gone.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by vexxy(f): 7:26pm On Sep 06, 2005
Ban it.

I hate the smell of it. I truly dislike being stuck behind someone who is smoking. The smell goes right into my face. Second hand smoke is the worst.

Don't kill my lungs because of your habit. sad
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by Greatpeter(m): 7:39pm On Sep 06, 2005
The problem with smoking is that it's addictive because of Nicotine there.

I am presently rehabilitating my boss here who wanted to leave smoking.

He now has nicotine substance implanted on his chest because he is already addicted to nicotine.

Smoking does harm and it's killing.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by vexxy(f): 7:54pm On Sep 06, 2005
Yes, the addiction is terrible.

I have a few friends who are on the Nicotine patch and gum. I just pray it works for them.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by fabian(f): 10:31am On Sep 07, 2005
It should be banned form the face of the earth! (if that's remotely possible, i mean) wink
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by layi(m): 10:36am On Sep 07, 2005
I want it to be banned but .....why? if its cos of the puff we inhale, what about the car exhaust on our roads? Thats deadlier.
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by vexxy(f): 2:30pm On Sep 07, 2005
which is why it's good to keep the air filters in your cars new!

But we have the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) cracking down on cars that make the most exhaust. Under regulations it is only permitted to let off so much. Cars also must pass an emissions inspection every 2 years in order to become or stay registered.

Also, we are slowly but surly moving to electric cars. The faster that's done, the better!
Re: Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? by layi(m): 2:45pm On Sep 07, 2005
lol @vexxy
Not every1 has got their own cars. Do pedestrians wear masks?
EPA- Thats in the USA (doesn't work in Nigeria)

I feel ur points though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alomo Bitters: What Is It Really For, Wud U Drink It? / Federal Government Begins Screening Of Ebola Virus At Lagos Airport / Are U A Pcos- Woman? Talk About It Here!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.