Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places (7748 Views)

Erm, They Now Sell This In Public In Lagos? / FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes / Smoking in Public: Should It Be Banned? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Biggyd2: 6:46am On Sep 18, 2012
Lagos to ban smoking in public places

SEPTEMBER 17, 2012 BY AGENCY REPORTER 17 COMMENTS
The Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Ade Ipaye, on Monday unfolded plans by the state government to ban smoking in public places.

He told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos that the provisions of the new Lagos State Traffic Laws had prohibited people from drinking or smoking while driving in the state.

Ipaye said though the new law was aimed at reducing road carnage, it was also part of the government’s plans to ban smoking in public places.

“It is an offence to smoke while driving, smoking is totally prohibited for drivers; obviously it is not just for safety reasons it is also for health reasons because we are moving towards banning smoking in all public places.

“It is an offence to drive drunk if you have been taking alcohol; if you’ve been taking drugs this law provides for blood test to determine whether you have ingested drugs which are inconsistent with your ability to drive.

“So, this law makes it an offence to drive without a driver’s licence, without proper plate numbers. It is an offence to use the phone while you are driving except you have a hands-free set so you don’t need to put the set to your ear,” Ipaye said.

Clarifying the misconceptions about the new law, Ipaye said, “It seeks to criminalise traffic offences and sanction offenders, as part of strategy to bring under control, the chaotic traffic situation within the metropolis.”

He said the law was necessitated by the dire need to ensure the safety, health and security of road users.

http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-to-ban-smoking-in-public-places/

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Afam4eva(m): 1:05pm On Sep 18, 2012
Wow!!! I hope they'll be able to differentiate between public and private places because everywhere seems private to me.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by miteolu(m): 1:05pm On Sep 18, 2012
More & many things to be banned
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Cyberknight: 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2012
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Afam4eva(m): 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2012
Cyberknight: Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Who's corrupt in this case?
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by BeraBera(f): 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2012
Soooooo many things being banned in Lagos! Watch out for mor bans

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Greenslim: 1:11pm On Sep 18, 2012
It was banned in FCT sometimes ago, but with little or no implementation at all is usually the major problem of these bans.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Daunashamed(m): 1:12pm On Sep 18, 2012
Good move. I think many will share my frustration when you are out there on the street and then one human who behaves like animal will be there polluting the air with his smokes not caring about his health not to talk of that of those in his environment. Wish this move will be put in place in the whole country.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Biggyd2: 1:12pm On Sep 18, 2012
Smokers BEWARE! grin grin grin grin. So when will they start implementing the noise pollution law too?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by sojay(m): 1:13pm On Sep 18, 2012
Good one. However, rolling out these laws is one thing implementing them is another. Let's hope it works.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Afam4eva(m): 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2012
sojay: Good one. However, rolling out these laws is one thing implementing them is another. Let's hope it works.
When it comes to implementing, Lagos government sabi that one. It's just that they take it over the roof. They may even arrest you inside your room smoking claiming that once more than one person is in a room, it becomes public.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Excelboi(m): 1:16pm On Sep 18, 2012
Fashola dey vex seriously!!!
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by emilyone(f): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2012
i hope those agberos at motor parks would take note
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by omiobo: 1:20pm On Sep 18, 2012

I'm very sure your brain must be leaking.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Pataki: 1:20pm On Sep 18, 2012
Absolute spot on by Fashola's government!

I am utterly impressed by this.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by GARRIx7(m): 1:21pm On Sep 18, 2012
Up Fashola!!!!!
Up Garri Republic!!!!
UP Nairaland!!!
Up Seun (and Mukibabe)!!!!

Lagos must be sanitized........
grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by nwangeme: 1:24pm On Sep 18, 2012
ban smoking in public places...nice, but i wonder how the average agbero at Oshodi would take this?
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by kooto(m): 1:24pm On Sep 18, 2012
what does this mean when we are talking about health & safety?
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 18, 2012
Amen ooooooo
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Afam4eva(m): 1:30pm On Sep 18, 2012
Pataki: Absolute spot on by Fashola's government!

I am utterly impressed by this.
I hope when they ban something that you like, you'll still be impressed.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by greatgod2012(f): 1:31pm On Sep 18, 2012
smokers are liable to die young!!!!!!!!!
Atleast, making a move to save pple thru banning.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by 2sa2: 1:35pm On Sep 18, 2012
How does smoking in public places affect Lagosians particularly and Nigerians in general. IMO, that's the least of our problems.#misplacedpriorities#
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by amobii: 1:36pm On Sep 18, 2012
That is very good development, but there should be a smoking area in some company as ot used to be in most companies in europe.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Nuzo1(m): 1:38pm On Sep 18, 2012
Apart from "spoiling" shekpe and Three Rings business for Iya Mukina, Oloyes are going to be on low morale these days. . .Too much dulling in Lagos streets. shocked angry tongue
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Sunebanty(m): 1:39pm On Sep 18, 2012
omiobo:

I'm very sure your brain must be leaking.
Gbam!you can say that again
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Sike(m): 1:42pm On Sep 18, 2012
O.K
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by ikmuan(m): 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2012
D guy is jus jobless
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 18, 2012
Biggyd2: Smokers BEWARE! grin grin grin grin. So when will they start implementing the noise pollution law too?
I would love to see a law on noise pollution too. Major culprits are worship centres.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by dasparrow: 2:00pm On Sep 18, 2012
@Post

Not bad. They have such laws here in the states too. Second hand smoke kills and it is unfair for a non smoker who for instance is waiting for the bus to have to inhale the cigarette smoke of a smoker standing nearby at the same bus stop. Ride on Uncle Fashola. A ban to smoke in public places is not a bad idea at all.
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by porryred(m): 2:02pm On Sep 18, 2012
wetin concern govt if i smoke anywhere?imagine saying for health reason..wetin concern them with my health?dem wan give me money if i get cancer?where is d freedom of life then?abegii park well joor commissioner...
Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by EvilBrain1(m): 2:09pm On Sep 18, 2012
They should definitely ban smoking public places. The smoke harms innocent third parties, sometimes even more than the smokers themselves. People who work in bars and beer parlors shouldn't have to risk getting cancer just to make a living.

Next, we need harsher sentences for drunk drivers and a review of the "prison for taking Obe way" law.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Smoking In Public Places by EvilBrain1(m): 2:11pm On Sep 18, 2012
They should definitely ban smoking in public places. The smoke harms innocent third parties, sometimes even more than the smokers themselves. People who work in bars and beer parlors shouldn't have to risk getting cancer just to make a living. If you want to smoke, do it in your house or your car and stop forcing others to inhale poison.

Next, we need harsher sentences for drunk drivers and a review of the "prison for taking one way" law.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can One Contract Hiv By Sucking The Mammary glands Of an Hiv Positive Woman ? / Please I Need A Review Of Oroki Herbal Mixture / Best Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Eczema Permanently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.