Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,704 members, 7,813,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl (23694 Views)

How Policemen Kill Detainees And Sell Bodies To UNICAL Anatomy Department / Policemen Kill 2 NSCDC Officers In Lagos / Policemen Kill Two Drivers At Illegal Checkpoint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by BadAttitude(m): 1:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
A six-year-old girl, Mariam Adeniji, is currently in shock after witnessing the killing of her father, Rafiu Adeniji, who was allegedly shot dead by policemen on Sunday.

The little girl, who spoke to PUNCH Metro while trying to fight back tears, said her father was killed after challenging policemen over an accident along the Mangoro end of Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway.

She said, “My daddy was driving home when someone hit his car. He went to see the policemen; they just brought out their guns and shot him. They then ran away.”

Another occupant of the vehicle, Lateef Okesola, who expressed shock at the incident, said it occurred in broad daylight.

He said, “Adeniji, Mariam and I, were all in his Honda car; Adeniji was driving. We were headed towards Agege when we saw a white police patrol vehicle with the inscription, OPS Attack, chasing a commercial bus. So, Rafiu swerved to the side and allowed the vehicle to pass.

“We continued on our journey but after a while, we found ourselves behind the same bus. Suddenly, the driver of the bus applied his brake.”

Unfortunately for Adeniji, he couldn’t stop his car fast enough as his vehicle was said to have hit the bus from behind, causing Okesola to sustain a bruise on his head. An argument was said to have ensued between the bus driver and Adeniji after the motorist demanded payment for the repair of the bus.

The deceased allegedly told the bus driver to blame the policemen for causing the accident.

“The policemen were parked on the side of the road and when Rafiu approached them to discuss what had happened, one of them alighted and shot him in the chest before fleeing.

“It was the sympathisers who gathered, that flagged down another commercial bus to take us all to the Isokoko Police Division,” Okesola added.

After obtaining a police report, Adeniji was taken to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, where he was confirmed dead.

Not long after his corpse was taken to his family home at Oshodi, Adeniji was said to have been rushed to a private hospital after a sympathiser claimed he saw the corpse move.

However, Adeniji was confirmed dead again at Jericho hospital.

When our correspondent visited Adeniji’s mother’s home located on Samura Street, sympathisers were seen coming in droves to condole with his aged mother said to be in her 70s.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Adeniji was an employee of NAHCO. His colleagues, who came to sympathise with the family, described him as a hardworking man.

Elder sister of the deceased, Titilayo Akintunde, described the incident as a nightmare, saying there was a need for the government to curb the excesses of policemen.

She said, “One wonders why it is those that are paid to protect lives and property that “continue to add sorrows to our lives in this country.

“My brother was not a thug. He was gainfully employed at NAHCO. He had a wife and two children. Unfortunately, his life was cut short in his prime.

“The case is even more pathetic because he was killed in the presence of his six-year-old daughter and she has refused to eat since the incident. It is a sight that she will never “forget. We want justice for him. Imagine what our mother is going through right now?”

When contacted on the telephone, the Deputy Police Public Relations Officer, Damasus Ozoani, said, “There was a shooting in Agege area which led to loss of life. The patrol team within that area has been arrested and their arms have been taken for ballistic examination.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-saw-policemen-kill-my-dad-six-year-old-girl/

1 Like

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 08, 2013
Another police unjust and unlawful killing? Na wah!

RIP to the victim.

2 Likes

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by BadAttitude(m): 1:44pm On Oct 08, 2013
The Nigerian Police is a write-off!

....Just eating tax payers money and causing more problems for we the tax payers!

havent you heard where a policeman ran to you to tell you to run for your dear life that armed robbers are robbing infront? baffles me!!!

5 Likes

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by tnktosin(m): 1:45pm On Oct 08, 2013
Sad news everyday. I was bent on raising my kids here but its not getting any better. Na to port be the matter sad sad

2 Likes

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by Okijajuju1(m): 2:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
Shes lying.... Officer! Arrest her! grin grin

lol..

Okay!! I am confused..

- Adeniji swerved and allowed A bus being chased by the Police to pass.. - Was this bus & police car on-coming or overtaking?!

- How come he suddenly catches up to the bus and the Police are nowhere in sight?! - Did the Police stop chasing the Bus or did he overtake the Police and catch up to the Bus.

- Why was he following another vehicle so closely (which is a driving violation in some countries known as Tailgating).

- Why was Adeniji arguing with the Bus driver when he impacted the Bus from behind?! - Abi did he not know that he was at fault?!

- How did the Policemen cause the accident?!

- What did Rafiu say to the Policemen to cause such a rash reaction?! - Although it does not matter or justify his being shot, I think its necessary to know what he said.

- Why didnt Lateef atleast get the Patrol Vans Numbers?! - Either Plates or Patrol Number written on the side?!

R.I.P Mr. Adeniji... I understand what happened to you. I still remember a policemen firing his gun barely 1 inch above my mothers head between 10pm - 11pm in the night for challenging him for asking them for towing permit for our car that was being rope towed by a friend.

4 Likes

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by olamisegbe(m): 2:31pm On Oct 08, 2013
Menh! Just so bad ooo. 5th shay
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:32pm On Oct 08, 2013
What an evil world. embarassed
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 08, 2013

11 Likes

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by devigblegble: 2:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
Police Is Your Friend
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by Policewoman(f): 2:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
Bad Attitude: A six-year-old girl, Mariam Adeniji, is currently in shock after witnessing the killing of her father, Rafiu Adeniji, who was allegedly shot dead by policemen on Sunday.

The little girl, who spoke to PUNCH Metro while trying to fight back tears, said her father was killed after challenging policemen over an accident along the Mangoro end of Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway.

She said, “My daddy was driving home when someone hit his car. He went to see the policemen; they just brought out their guns and shot him. They then ran away.”

Another occupant of the vehicle, Lateef Okesola, who expressed shock at the incident, said it occurred in broad daylight.

He said, “Adeniji, Mariam and I, were all in his Honda car; Adeniji was driving. We were headed towards Agege when we saw a white police patrol vehicle with the inscription, OPS Attack, chasing a commercial bus. So, Rafiu swerved to the side and allowed the vehicle to pass.

“We continued on our journey but after a while, we found ourselves behind the same bus. Suddenly, the driver of the bus applied his brake.”

Unfortunately for Adeniji, he couldn’t stop his car fast enough as his vehicle was said to have hit the bus from behind, causing Okesola to sustain a bruise on his head. An argument was said to have ensued between the bus driver and Adeniji after the motorist demanded payment for the repair of the bus.

The deceased allegedly told the bus driver to blame the policemen for causing the accident.

“The policemen were parked on the side of the road and when Rafiu approached them to discuss what had happened, one of them alighted and shot him in the chest before fleeing.

“It was the sympathisers who gathered, that flagged down another commercial bus to take us all to the Isokoko Police Division,” Okesola added.

After obtaining a police report, Adeniji was taken to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, where he was confirmed dead.

Not long after his corpse was taken to his family home at Oshodi, Adeniji was said to have been rushed to a private hospital after a sympathiser claimed he saw the corpse move.

However, Adeniji was confirmed dead again at Jericho hospital.

When our correspondent visited Adeniji’s mother’s home located on Samura Street, sympathisers were seen coming in droves to condole with his aged mother said to be in her 70s.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Adeniji was an employee of NAHCO. His colleagues, who came to sympathise with the family, described him as a hardworking man.

Elder sister of the deceased, Titilayo Akintunde, described the incident as a nightmare, saying there was a need for the government to curb the excesses of policemen.

She said, “One wonders why it is those that are paid to protect lives and property that “continue to add sorrows to our lives in this country.

“My brother was not a thug. He was gainfully employed at NAHCO. He had a wife and two children. Unfortunately, his life was cut short in his prime.

“The case is even more pathetic because he was killed in the presence of his six-year-old daughter and she has refused to eat since the incident. It is a sight that she will never “forget. We want justice for him. Imagine what our mother is going through right now?”

When contacted on the telephone, the Deputy Police Public Relations Officer, Damasus Ozoani, said, “There was a shooting in Agege area which led to loss of life. The patrol team within that area has been arrested and their arms have been taken for ballistic examination.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-saw-policemen-kill-my-dad-six-year-old-girl/
If found guilty, the killer cops should be dismissed and handed over to the civilian courts to be tried for premeditated murder.

It is lunatics like these that give bad name to the force.

1 Like

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by iamswizz(m): 2:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
It still doesnt change the fact that 'The friend is ur police' abi how dem talk am
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by sCun: 2:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
He had to obtain a police report before being taken to the hospital? I don't know if this should make me angry or laugh, I just don't know.

3 Likes

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by ddddon(m): 2:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
that police office that did this,should be caught and hung upside down..... And i will definately spit on his grave...

1 Like

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by taiyesoul(f): 2:35pm On Oct 08, 2013
Police Brutality!.
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by brainzdh(m): 2:35pm On Oct 08, 2013
Quite Pathetic. Heaven bless the Dead!
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by BabaEleko(m): 2:35pm On Oct 08, 2013
I'm close to forming a "Armed revolutionary squad". Our goal is fighting for the oppressed. One of which is taking out pple like this police man.
RIP to d dead.

8 Likes

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by 2sureguy1(m): 2:35pm On Oct 08, 2013
U gat 2 do wat Peter Pan(A MAN CALLED GOD) did......2 get ur revenge later
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by 3ace(m): 2:36pm On Oct 08, 2013
Police always in the news for the wrong reason.

1 Like

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by sanandreas(m): 2:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
The police is ur frd.
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
This story get as e be.
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by theripper3: 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
Our officers as usual doing what they do best. If they aint shooting motorists for a paltry 20naira, they are accidentally killing us. Small time life expectancy for naija go b like 25 yrs with the way death cheap for here.

1 Like

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by IFY124(f): 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
poor girl! What a bad experience. RIP to Mr. Adeniji

2 Likes

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by otijah(m): 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
Nigerian police are just confused, killing the innocents and protecting the criminals, God I don't want any encounter between me and 9ja police instead give Army or Navy cause I think they und wen Gun shuld b rightly used
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by orlabass(m): 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
Go and watch a yoruba movie,title MUFU OLOSA OKO...mostly d same story as urs
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by kennyonthrone(m): 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
Decryptor: RIP to him sha...but see the guy face shocked Perhaps, that was what scared the policemen
Post ur own face mk we see... akpa amu

D man gat so much resemblance wit d duaghter.....R.I.P 2 d dead

1 Like

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by otijah(m): 2:40pm On Oct 08, 2013
Nigerian police are just confused, killing the innocents and protecting the criminals, God I don't want any encounter between me and 9ja police instead give Army or Navy cause I think they und wen Gun shuld b rightly used
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by Jensenelizz(m): 2:40pm On Oct 08, 2013
Eeyah
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by Symphony007: 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2013
The IG will turn a blind eye to this, his most basic responsibility but will always prop up his political thug of a commissioner in rivers state. What a disgrace the nigerian police force is.

1 Like

Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by eightsin(m): 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2013
Too bad...me,i fear police pass thief just d way i fear my friends pass my enemies (dats if i have) bt d 1s whn dey pose as my friends, God knw say i dey fear them.
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by wasak(m): 2:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
now I understand y olamide said "this days I fear police pass armedrobbers... "
what can I say?
Re: I Saw Policemen Kill My Dad – Six-year-old Girl by talksankey: 2:44pm On Oct 08, 2013
And the same police are complaining that we did not condem obatse cult,when they did dia thing.ha

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari's Letter To Senate On Appointment Of 2 Ministerial Nominees (Photo) / Number Of Civil Servants Per State In Nigeria / ‘We won’t join you in APC’ — Ebonyi lawmakers tackle Umahi over defection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.