Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,086 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Questions That Bug Believers In God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions That Bug Believers In God (3747 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Vision Of Heaven And Hell: Few Questions that need answers. / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 4:47pm On Oct 09, 2013
1. Their argument against atheism is: nothing comes from nothing, yet they believe a complex conscious god could pop into existence from nothing, and not just that, create everything from nothing.
- Q1-If nothing comes from nothing, what did your god come from - They console themselves by saying such a complex being is uncreated-
unbelievable.

2. If nature as we know it was designed, and if everything that exists must be designed
- Q2-then who designed your god, and who designed the god who designed your god, and that can go ad infinitum.

3. If God does not interfere in our affairs
- Q3- why believe that he can help you
- Q4-why punish sinners? Why destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?
- Q5- why pray to him, since he doesn't interfere in your affairs anyway?

4. If the universe was created to support life
- Q6- why does it not support life everywhere?
- Q7- why is life scarce in it?

5. If god is good, and if everything came from god
- Q8- where did evil come from?
- Q9- why create the devil, who will later turn evil?

6. If god is all powerful
-Q10- why does he have to kill himself to forgive our own sins.
-Q11- to whom did he pay our price of salvation? to himself or to a greater god?

8 Likes

Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2013
ooman: 1. Their argument against atheism is: nothing comes from nothing, yet they believe a complex conscious god could pop into existence from nothing, and not just that, create everything from nothing.

- Q1-If nothing comes from nothing, what did your god come from - They console themselves by saying such a complex being is uncreated-
unbelievable.

What is nothing??

From your usage of the word 'nothing' one would be tempted to think that you mean it as a substantive term, which can be equated to a place.

God did not exactly create everything. Some things he created while others he made from some already existent materials. The Universe is an example of God's creation while man is an example of one of the things he made.

Anyways, if you ask me where God came from, the best answer I can give you is that he did not pop up from somewhere...he just existed of himself.

ooman:
2. If nature as we know it was designed, and if everything that exists must be designed
- Q2-then who designed your god, and who designed the god who designed your god, and that can go ad infinitum.

God existed and he has no beginning.

ooman:
3. If God does not interfere in our affairs
- Q3- why believe that he can help you
- Q4-why punish sinners? Why destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?
- Q5- why pray to him, since he doesn't interfere in your affairs anyway?

He interferes is and when he wants to.

ooman:
4. If the universe was created to support life
- Q6- why does it not support life everywhere?
- Q7- why is life scarce in it?

Who said the Universe as a whole was created to support life??

ooman:
5. If god is good, and if everything came from god
- Q8- where did evil come from?
- Q9- why create the devil, who will later turn evil?

God is good and created all things good. Evil came from the ability of his 'creatures' to exercise freewill. In itself freewill is good and not bad.

ooman:
6. If god is all powerful
-Q10- why does he have to kill himself to forgive our own sins.
-Q11- to whom did he pay our price of salvation? to himself or to a greater god?

His decision to die for our sins has nothing to do with his nature as an all powerful God.
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Infomizer(m): 6:57pm On Oct 09, 2013
*Draws seat, grabs pop corn and la casera*
This is gon be fun to read for someone like me (more of an agnostic than a theist). Ride on folks. I'm learning!
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 7:02pm On Oct 09, 2013
striktlymi:

What is nothing??

From your usage of the word 'nothing' one would be tempted to think that you mean it as a substantive term, which can be equated to a place.

oh pls, you are part of those who claim atheism means something came from nothing, so i can ask you the same question, what you thought nothing meant.

striktlymi: God did not exactly create everything. Some things he created while others he made from some already existent materials. The Universe is an example of God's creation while man is an example of one of the things he made.

really, you believe something pre-existed your god? you are on your part to atheism, to reason, but not yet, i still have a lot of work to do on you. tongue

striktlymi: Anyways, if you ask me where God came from, the best answer I can give you is that he did not pop up from somewhere...he just existed of himself.

guy, you are saying a conscious being, capable of creating life can just exist himself? Its like saying man can exist himself, without being born. Its not possible. Now, while man can be born, god cannot, so you claim, so he cannot exist. He is too complex to just exist.

striktlymi: God existed and he has no beginning.

the only thing that could just exist, and not have a beginning or end is energy, as proven already. God is conscious, and has personality, he cannot just exist, everything complex has a beginning, he must therefore have a creator, and his creator, a creator. This is why god cannot exist.

striktlymi: He interferes is and when he wants to.

so dont tell me he doesnt interfere. He is only weak when it comes to cubing evil

striktlymi: Who said the Universe as a whole was created to support life??

theistic scientists, they said this is why there can be life in it, they said that is its purpose, So get the point.. Evolution says the universe contains life wherever conditions supports it, and that is the only thing observable.

striktlymi: God is good and created all things good. Evil came from the ability of his 'creatures' to exercise freewill. In itself freewill is good and not bad.

ok, so somethings were not created by god right? evil for example. what about the devil?

striktlymi: His decision to die for our sins has nothing to do with his nature as an all powerful God.

his decision to kill himself, as a sacrifice to himself, only to save us from himself shows an irrational being he is.

Such an irrational being couldnt have created this great universe and the magnificent life we have.

common, you believe in a god who created everything by speaking! Only in myths do such happen

what is wrong with your reasoning faculty? There doesnt have to be a creator in nature, because such a creator must also have a creator, and that goes on unstoppable. Nature is observed to be self existent.

1 Like

Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:05pm On Oct 09, 2013
Sometimes I wonder why these topics are reiterated over and over again?

Is it out of boredom or maybe a messiah syndrome on the atheist side with a quest of delivering the sheeple?

anyway my view is simple, to every man his own understanding.

Believe in God especially the Christian God cannot be backed up with sound logic all the time,sometimes it is so illogical hence the phrase ''God works in mysterious ways'' . Therefore I believe because it makes me sleep better at night simple.
I tried atheism didn't really workout for me maybe years of religious indoctrination perhaps? but i am comfortable with Christianity at least the socialization and communal aspects of it.
At Ooman been awhile whats up?
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 7:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Sometimes I wonder why these topics are reiterated over and over again?

Is it out of boredom or maybe a messiah syndrome on the atheist side with a quest of delivering the sheeple?

to make you get the point of the impossibility of the existence of a god.

GeneralShepherd: anyway my view is simple, to every man his own understanding.

Believe in God especially the Christian God cannot be backed up with sound logic all the time,sometimes it is so illogical hence the phrase ''God works in mysterious ways'' . Therefore I believe because it makes me sleep better at night simple.

if the bold is what all theists claim as the reason for their belief, i wouldnt bother debating them. but most claim there can be a god, who is uncreated and that is just irritating. For you, thanks for your sincerity.

GeneralShepherd: I tried atheism didn't really workout for me maybe years of religious indoctrination perhaps? but i am comfortable with Christianity at least the socialization and communal aspects of it.

yeah, it took me many years of reading intelligent design materials and evolutionary materials before i could rid myself of religious childhood indoctrination too. If you have the desire to know the truth, god will be easy to rid off.

what about the irrationalities of xtianity, like god killing himself to pay himself our price only to save us from himself.

GeneralShepherd: At Ooman been awhile whats up?

been busy, just back here to spend my little free time.
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 09, 2013
I'm in. cheesy
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by macof(m): 8:22pm On Oct 09, 2013
Op God exist just not the way Christians portray God. He is the much more than the Christians say he is. If you want to understand more about God, check out what other religions have to say.
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:49pm On Oct 09, 2013
macof: Op God exist just not the way Christians portray God. He is the much more than the Christians say he is. If you want to understand more about God, check out what other religions have to say.

And then what makes other religions more rational than Christianity?

@Ooman no wahala welcome back but ease on the ad-hominem abeg. Striktly is a great guy
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 11:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

And then what makes other religions more rational than Christianity?

@Ooman no wahala welcome back but ease on the ad-hominem abeg. Striktly is a great guy

No adhominem here, i replied him as he responded.
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 11:16pm On Oct 09, 2013
macof: Op God exist just not the way Christians portray God. He is the much more than the Christians say he is. If you want to understand more about God, check out what other religions have to say.

If only you can show how any god can exist, perhaps we can have a discussion.
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by UyiIredia(m): 5:02am On Oct 10, 2013
striktlymi:

What is nothing??

God did not exactly create everything. Some things he created while others he made from some already existent materials. The Universe is an example of God's creation while man is an example of one of the things he made.

Anyways, if you ask me where God came from, the best answer I can give you is that he did not pop up from somewhere...he just existed of himself.

God existed and he has no beginning.

He interferes is and when he wants to.

Who said the Universe as a whole was created to support life??

God is good and created all things good. Evil came from the ability of his 'creatures' to exercise freewill. In itself freewill is good and not bad.

His decision to die for our sins has nothing to do with his nature as an all powerful God.

God cannot create what he doesn't have. We humans say one can't give what he doesn't have. If God is only good, NO EVIL. Then there should be no evil. Since there is evil, God is either responsible or he is wrongly said to be ONLY GOOD: your excuse doesn't hold water.
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by UyiIredia(m): 5:05am On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Sometimes I wonder why these topics are reiterated over and over again?

I tried atheism didn't really workout for me maybe years of religious indoctrination perhaps? but i am comfortable with Christianity at least the socialization and communal aspects of it.

@ bold: The same occurs in Romance, Sexuality and Phone section with Techno dis, Tecno dat.
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by truthislight: 9:07am On Oct 10, 2013

Some times i have a lot to say, but find my self not saying it, reason being because of that statement above > "the christian God".

What really is "the christian God" ?
What is it ? Trinity ?

'Trinity'. undecided

Aka 'God came to die'.

How does one defend such really baffles me. Smh.

No wander!

*We know the culprit/reasons for the attacks*
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 9:31am On Oct 10, 2013
truthislight:

Some times i have a lot to say, but find my self not saying it, reason being because of that statement above > "the christian God".

What is it ? Trinity ?

'Trinity'. undecided

Aka 'God came to die'.

No wander!

what's so hard to understand in that, the xtian god is yahweh. period
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:35am On Oct 10, 2013

Christianity is an excuse for laziness. That's why you are comfortable in it.

1 Like

Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by macof(m): 10:22am On Oct 10, 2013
truthislight:

What is it ? Trinity ?

'Trinity'. undecided

Aka 'God came to die'.

No wander!

If u get to learn wat other religions say about God, u might find answers to ur questions
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 10:25am On Oct 10, 2013
macof: If u get to learn wat other religions say about God, u might find answers to ur questions

care to expatiate about this god of yours?
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by nnofaith: 10:45am On Oct 10, 2013
macof: If u get to learn wat other religions say about God, u might find answers to ur questions
Hmmm! let me guess. olodumare?
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 10, 2013
@Ooman, permit me to ask you a question.

When human beings die, what happens to them(soul, spirit etc)?
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 11:00am On Oct 10, 2013
joel lala: @Ooman, permit me to ask you a question.

There is nothing like a soul or spirit. When a human dies, it does like other animals. It is dead and done with, it lives no more, no afterlife.

2 Likes

Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 10, 2013
joel lala: @Ooman, permit me to ask you a question.

nothing like soul and spirit... its all religion's gilbrish to keep it's zombies at bay.
where were you before u were born? where was ur soul, spirit etc?
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 10, 2013
9jadelta: nothing like soul and spirit... its all religion's gilbrish to keep it's zombies at bay.
where were you before u were born? where was ur soul, spirit etc?

Ok since there is no soul and spirit, explain how human beings originated and what happens to them when they die.

1 Like

Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 11:06am On Oct 10, 2013
joel lala:

Ok since there is no soul and spirit, explain how human beings originated and what happens to them when they die.

you are a product of evolution, and man continue to evolve...
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

There is nothing like a soul or spirit. When a human dies, it does like other animals. It is dead and done with, it lives no more, no afterlife.

Ok..so when a human dies he is gone forever..How come some humans experience what we call de ja vu in their present day life?
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

you are a product of evolution, and man continue to evolve...

Evolution from what? Kindly expanciate..also where did the first being(man) of evolution come from(definately it cant come out of thin air)
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 11:14am On Oct 10, 2013
joel lala:

Evolution from what? Kindly expanciate..also where did the first being(man) of evolution come from(definately it cant come out of thin air)

nothing like the first man, evolution is a continuous process and man is its present stage in the hominid lineage. read more here

http://humanorigins.si.edu/resources/intro-human-evolution

it answers every question you may have...

1 Like

Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 10, 2013
joel lala:

Ok..so when a human dies he is gone forever..How come some humans experience what we call de ja vu in their present day life?
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 11:18am On Oct 10, 2013
joel lala:

yep, gone forever. Deja vu is illusory, even i experience it... and am an atheist...
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

nothing like the first man, evolution is a continuous process and man is its present stage in the hominid lineage. read more here

http://humanorigins.si.edu/resources/intro-human-evolution

it answers every question you may have...

Yes..i think i have gone through this link before, but it doesnt tell me why man has been evolving but apes, monkeys, baboons etc whom man is suppose to evolve from have suddenly stopped evolving till date..Why do we still see apes in the non- evolving state or did evolution decide to skip them?

1 Like

Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by Nobody: 11:22am On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

yep, gone forever. Deja vu is illusory, even i experience it... and am an atheist...

Bros deja vu is not illusion..I have also experienced it long ago and at a point in time i was able to predict what might happen next and it happened exactly..so how do you explain that..
Re: Questions That Bug Believers In God by ooman(m): 11:24am On Oct 10, 2013
joel lala:

Bros deja vu is not illusion..I have also experienced it long ago and at a point in time i was able to predict what might happen next and it happened exactly..so how do you explain that..

inference, deduction and coincidence. Besides, deja vu is not predicting the future, its feeling like the past is the present..... are you confused here?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Bible The Word Of God? The Bible And Paedophilia. / Muhammad Alee Jabata Is Never A Takfiri / T.B. Joshua's Shocking Prophecy On Buhari's Health, Nigerian Democracy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.