Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,855 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Follow Your Dream: The Story Of Lewis Pugh - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Follow Your Dream: The Story Of Lewis Pugh (858 Views)

"Follow Your Passion" Isn’t A Good Career Advice / Inspiring Story Of A Disabled Lady Who Rose To Prominence. / 3 Reasons Why You Should Follow Your Passion! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Follow Your Dream: The Story Of Lewis Pugh by gbokukueba(m): 6:18pm On Oct 09, 2013
Two days ago I sat and listened to 3 extra ordinary stories by Lewis Pugh, a swimmer, an environmental conservationist and a dreamer. Lewis first story was how he became the first human to swim across the North Pole and drew the attention of the world to the issues on melting ice. In the midst of all challenges he encounter swimming for 1km the lesson 1 came out; never go into a situation or battle playing victory and defeat in your head as it affects your mental state.

The second story was when he swarm in a lake on Mount Everest. On his was to the top there was a smaller lake which he swarm without any hitch but when he got to the top of the Mountain he tried to swim across the lake just as he had done in the smaller lake on his way up. The result was disasterous, he almost drowned. Lesson 2 just because something worked in the past is not a guarantee it will work in the future.

The third story was Lewis trying to draw the attention of the world to the disappearing islands of the Maldives and decided to swim from one island to the other a total of 8. After about 5 islands they had issues with their boat which would have impact on the time to finish and travel arrangements. Suddenly in the distance they saw a Yatch and there was a talk that it could belong to the Russian billionaire Roman Abrahamovich.
Lewis' companion a former British soldier reqested for a phone and called someone in London to get hold of Mr Abrahamovich to confirmed if indeed the Yatch belonged to him and if they could use it to complete the course. Lewis was petrified as to why will Mr Abrahamovich want to help them which brings us to lesson 3; never assumed nobody wants to help you. The Yatch did belong to Mr Abrahamovich and they used it for the rest of the event and are now on first name basis with him.

Lewis' story has really inspired me to follow my dream and will be reading his new book, '21 Yaks and a Speedo- how to achieve your impossible' In Lewis' word to me when he autographed my copy of his book was, 'Gbokukueba follow your dream very very few things are impossible'.
Re: Follow Your Dream: The Story Of Lewis Pugh by gbokukueba(m): 6:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
I dont know if this will get to the front page but as i was listening to Lewis my mind went back to couple of months back when an individual here on Nairaland wanted to do a long walkd from Lagos to the North and people including his father discouraged himeven when Red bull was ready to sponsor him.

I challenge that individual to read Lewis' profile and his book and get inspired to pursue his dream. Lewis is half British and half South african he gave up a promising law career to pursue his passion of exploring and impacting the world.

I am waiting for the day someone will do the unthinkable to bring the world attention to the ills of our society and dear country Nigeria...

I am waiting!
Re: Follow Your Dream: The Story Of Lewis Pugh by Tolexander: 7:26pm On Oct 09, 2013
gbokukueba: I dont know if this will get to the front page but as i was listening to Lewis my mind went back to couple of months back when an individual here on Nairaland wanted to do a long walkd from Lagos to the North and people including his father discouraged himeven when Red bull was ready to sponsor him.

I challenge that individual to read Lewis' profile and his book and get inspired to pursue his dream. Lewis is half British and half South african he gave up a promising law career to pursue his passion of exploring and impacting the world.

I am waiting for the day someone will do the unthinkable to bring the world attention to the ills of our society and dear country Nigeria...

I am waiting!
why waiting when you are capable of doing it.

The whole world is expecting the boldened from you. You can do it!
Re: Follow Your Dream: The Story Of Lewis Pugh by gbokukueba(m): 8:42pm On Oct 09, 2013
Tolexander: why waiting when you are capable of doing it.

The whole world is expecting the boldened from you. You can do it!

Well we all manifest our dreams in different ways i wish that guy could still do the walk and raise attention of the world to the plight of the Nigerian citizen...

(1) (Reply)

Advice For New Job Seekers From A Seasoned Interviewer / My Ordeal With An Ungrateful And Greedy Friend / Job Opportunity In Dubai With Employment Visa Or Residence Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.