Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! (10038 Views)

List Of 7 Notable Nigerians President Buhari Cannot Touch-nigerian Infopedia / Nigeria's 53 Years Report Card. / Oronsaye Committee Recommends Abolition Of 32 FG Agencies, Merger Of 53 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by ezzye: 7:45pm On Oct 09, 2013
Hello everyone, i made a compilation of 53 names of those i think have in one way or the other done the Nation proud or had been involved in nation building.

In no particular order, these persons are worthy of mention, they are:

s/n Name [color=#006600]
= Achievements

Politics - General

1 Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe = Founder of modern Nigerian nationalism and first president of Nigeria (1963-66).

2 Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi = A Nigerian soldier. He served as the Head of State of Nigeria from 16 January 1966 until he was overthrown and killed on 29 July 1966

3 Brigadier Murtala Mohammed = For his numerous reforms that led to the second republic

4 Chief Obafemi Awolowo = Nigerian nationalist and Yoruba political leader; principal participant in the struggle for Nigerian Independence

5 Aminu Kano = Led an Islamic movement in the North of the country in opposition to British rule

6 Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa = International statesman; one of the leaders who encouraged the formation of Organization of African Unity(OAU); nicknamed the Golden Voice of Africa

7 Chief MKO Abiola = Moshood Abiola sprang to national and international prominence as a result of his philanthropic activities.

8 Kudirat Abiola = Human rights activist; inspired many people especially women by staying persistent and courageous in times of military repression

9 Madam Tinubu = First Iyalode of Egbaland; for her gallant efforts in the abolition of slavery at Badagry

10 Funmilayo Ransome Kuti = Women's rights activist; first Nigerian lady to drive in Nigeria

11 Gen Abdulsalami Abubakar = For honorably keeping to his word by returning Nigeria to democratic rule in 1999

12 Gen Olusegun Obasanjo = Nigeria's first civilian president since 1983 when he took office for the second time.

13 Umaru Musa Yaradua = For successfully minimizing the unrest in the Niger Delta by the militants by offering amnesty

14 Chief Anthony Enahoro = Nigerias foremost anti-colonial and pro-democracy activist

15 Aliko Dangote = Dangote has reportedly given away $100 million of his fortune to charity in recent years. Causes he supports include flood relief, healthcare, and*poverty reduction.

16 Chuba Okadigbo = President of the Senate of Nigeria. He was sometimes referred to as*Oyi of Oyi*in reference to his local government council area (Oyi); he also held numerous political positions in the Nigeria government. He was known to be opposed to the ruling*Peoples Democratic Party of Nigeria, which was led by President Olusẹgun Ọbasanjọ from the year 1999 - 2007.

17 Oby Ezekwesili = Chartered accountant. She was a co-founder of Transparency International, serving as one of the pioneer Directors of the global anti-corruption body based in Berlin, Germany.

18 Chief Gani Fawehinmi = For his contribution to the growth and stabiility in Nigeria - radical lawyer and activist

19 Dr Dora Akunyili = For her numerous efforts to rid the country of counterfeit and substandard drugs

20 Ngozi Okonjo Iweala = A globally renowned*Nigerian*economist best known for her two terms as*Finance Minister of Nigeria*(her current position) and for her work at the*World Bank, including several years as one of its Managing Directors*

Education

21 Prof Wole Soyinka = Being the first Nigerian and indeed first black man to win the Nobel Prize

22 Prof Chinua Achebe = Nigerian novelist and poet, widely recognized as the father of the African novel. His first and most influential novel, Things Fall Apart (1958),

23 Ben Okri = Poet and novelist; winner 1995 Booker Prize

24 Augustus Taiwo "Tai' Solarin = Fought running battles with various governments in order to improve the lot of Nigerians

25 Flora Nwapa = For being the first African woman to publish a book in English

26 Lady Kofo Ademola = For being the first Nigerian woman to receive a University degree (Oxford)

27 Grace Alele Williams = First Nigerian woman to obtain a PhD; first female Vice Chancellor

28 Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie = For winning the 2007 Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction

Sports

29 Chioma Ajunwa = First Nigerian Gold Medalist at the Atalanta 1996 Olympics (Long Jump - 7.12m)

30 Kanu Nwankwo = Most decorated Nigerian footballer; also captained Nigeria to gold medal at the Atalanta 1996 Olympics

31 Segun Odegbami = Mathematical Odegbami was part of the victorious eagles team in 1980

32 Rasheed Yekini = Remains Nigeria's best goal-scoring machine

33 Austin "Jay Jay" Okocha = The most entertaining Nigerian footballer ever; wwith match winning capabilities. he was so good he was named twice (JAY-JAY)

34 Hogan Bassey = Former Ring world featherweight champion

............see full list here http://www.maviews.com/showthread.php?t=5619

cheers[/color]
Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by Adrenaline123(m): 8:14pm On Oct 09, 2013
35 Stephen Keshi= For restoring pride to Nigeria and the Super Eagles with victory in the 2013 AFCON.
36 Blessing Okagbare= For her recent exploits in athletics
Entertainment
37 Fela Anikulapo kuti= Nigerian singer, songwriter, and musician, and a strong proponent of African nationalism and ethnic identity.
38 Ebenezer Obey= One of Nigeria's renowned highlife music maestro
39 King Sunny Ade= Also renowned for highlife music promoting unity in the nation
40 Christy Essien= Songwriter, singer; songs that has had positive effect on the society and nation at large
41 Onyeka Onwenu= Songwriter, singe, role model; a true african woman with songs that convey peace and love in a united nation
42 Lagbaja= Arobeat singer; songwriter; multi award winner
43 Dr Kenny Ogungbe= For bringing a new dimension to showbiz in Nigeria; encouraging and promoting Nigerian songs both locally & Internationally
44 Dayo Adeneye= For bringing a new dimension to showbiz in Nigeria; encouraging and promoting Nigerian songs both locally & Internationally
45 Olu Jacobs= Renowned actor and role model
46 Pete Edochie= Renowned actor with impeccable diction; one of the pioneers of the movie industry
47 Justus Esiri= Nigerian actor promoting the rich cultures of Nigeria
48 Joke Silva= Nigerian actress and director. She has received several awards and nominations for her work as an actress including the awards for Best Actress in a Leading Role at the African Movie
49 Omotola Jalade Ekeinde= Known as a fierce Human Rights campaigner and her philanthropy efforts are centered on her NGO project, called the Omotola Ekeinde Initiative for Youth Empowerment. The undertaking brings hundreds of youths together for the Empowerment Walk and Convention.[17]
50 Agbani Darego= First Nigerian to win Miss World in 2001
51 Innocent "2face" Idibia= Singer and songwriter whose music has brought several accolades to Nigeria
Others
52 Pastor EA Adeboye= Pastor, GO; Redeemed Christian Church of God
53 Bimbo Odukoya= Televangelist; role model to Nigerian women!
I MAY HAVE MISSED OUT A NUMBER OF VERY INFLUENTIAL AND NOTEWORTHY NIGERIANS.
PLEASE DROP YOUR COMMENTS BELOW AND POINT OUT THOSE OTHER GREAT NAMES THAT I MAY HAVE MISSED OUT.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!
Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by Adrenaline123(m): 8:23pm On Oct 09, 2013
54. Owelle Rochas Okorocha= for helping many orphans and homeless children even before becoming a governor.
55. Oluwaseun Osewa= for creating nairaland forum,

1 Like

Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by Trailii: 9:18pm On Oct 09, 2013
Graet list. Ɣøû did we'll.
Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by MahatmaGhandi: 9:35pm On Oct 09, 2013
Majority of the people on that list put us in the mess we are in today. doesn't make them less notable though but not in a positive light at least.
Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by ifebosco: 11:41pm On Oct 09, 2013
nuhu ribadu and el rufai
Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by musiwa1l: 1:53am On Oct 10, 2013
me for been the first nigerian to get nigerian on the internet.
father of the nigeria internet. first african to cross the barrier only microsoft,google, facebook etc ever crossed. 20m.. first nigerian to run a web television, , first to hit the one million mark. first to prior multimedia in africa. may be in the world. i did before youtube or google

i will like to win the nobel peace for peace.
made in canada
Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by MightySparrow: 5:01am On Oct 10, 2013
musiwa1l: me for been the first nigerian to get nigerian on the internet.
father of the nigeria internet. first african to cross the barrier only microsoft,google, facebook etc ever crossed. 20m.. first nigerian to run a web television, , first to hit the one million mark. first to prior multimedia in africa. may be in the world. i did before youtube or google

made in canada

You' d won a Nobel for being a clown. lol.
Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by Nobody: 5:44am On Oct 10, 2013
musiwa1l: me for been the first nigerian to get nigerian on the internet.

made in canada
Who brought this insane man to this tread. Has he finished leading the Western Nigeria? undecided
Re: My List Of 53 Notable Nigerians In The Last 53 Years! by ezzye: 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2013
Idi Amin: Who brought this insane man to this tread. Has he finished leading the Western Nigeria? undecided

lol, very hilarious

(1) (Reply)

Ambode Decorates 555 Civil Servants With Long Service Awards / PDP NWC Paid A Condolence Visit To Victims Of Herdsmen Attack / Sokoto Assembly Confirms Dan-iya As Deputy Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.