Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

The Real One - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Real One (2088 Views)

The Real Heroes Of 2015...To Those Who Have Fallen & Those Who Still Burn(pics) / The Real Monster / Do Nigerians Really Know The Real Meaning Of The Word "Sigh"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real One by Joshthefirst(m): 12:19am On Nov 02, 2013
I was coming from work when I first saw Man. He was a street preacher. I had stayed late after work, talking to lily and doing some research. Today was one of my good days.

So I decided to take the long drive through bishops avenue to get some fresh air. And my already bald tire gave up the ghost. The last time I had changed the tires was while preparing for a road trip with my family. I didn't want to awaken memories.

Damn

My car had stopped in the wrong neighbourhood. I was at the open square in hamingtons. There was a crowd gathered there. I wondered what was going on. So I left my car and went to look.
Some thugs were harrasing a man.

"Hey man, this here is our neighbourhood" the first thug said.

"And to do business here, you gotta pay rent" the second spoke up.

"Yeah. We own this turf" the first one said.

The man looked at them.
"Now guys, I'm just a preacher. I just wanna preach the good news. I won't hurt nobody. I just need a little time and I'll go away" Man said.

"The only thing I wanna hear you preaching is my money"! Thug 1 barked.

why does the foolish man remain where he is? He's about to get creamed

"I'm not here to disrupt your activities," man shouted to the crowd
"I'm here to give you the best bargain you've ever..."

"Shut up!!"

"Give us your money or we beat the crap outta you!"

Man suddenly turned to them and looked at them intently.
They stepped back. There was something about this man.

"I don't owe you no money men, I'm a harmless man like you"

The thugs staggered backwards and angrily walked outta the scene.

"Yes! I'm a harmless man like you, who owes no one anything except this one thing!" Man shouted into the crowd.

"I've got ahold of something you see, a great bargain! The best bargain anyone can come across in his life!
And I've left my comfort zone to present this bargain to you!"
"You can call me Man, because I came to talk about a man".....

And so Man preached. Something about the power of his words held me and convicted me.
But Man began to speak of death and life, and I remembered my lost family, and lily, and I was filled with anger, and I abandoned my car and walked away.

Lily.
I had been thinking more of her lately. Her pain was becoming more intense. She was in that state of stupor most of the day. I could hardly make out what she said. She began to lose hope and will to live, like me. She began to die.

Three times I had stolen funds from my department for research on lilys rare condition. I had covered my tracks well. But I could not help think sometimes that I was going too far. Stealing funds meant for meaningful research, not futile ones like the one I was pursuing.

I still had nightmares. In one of them, lily died, and I took a knife and was about to commit suicide.
I was hearing voices
"Do it" the voices said
"Death isn't so bad, when you die, you'll be free from all your grief and sorrow"

I slit my own throat.

And I woke up gasping for air and clutching my throat.
For some time, I couldn't breathe, then I found my lungs and gasped.
And I cried. I cried for lily. I was at the end of my strings.

Then I made a plea to the unknown

"God! If you're there help me!
"help me God! I've tried and tried, I can't do anything!

God cannot help you. He didn't even help your Claire and david and you expect him to help?
I cried myself to sleep.

The next morning I saw Man during ward rounds.
I saw his real name was Williams Mann.
I saw he was my new Head of department.

Was this a coincidence? Or was something strange happening?

He walked up to me...
Re: The Real One by texanomaly(f): 12:40am On Nov 02, 2013
Joshthefirst: Two hours later, I sat next to lilly's bed
"Hello lily" I said tenderly
"Hi Mr. Smith"
"How're we doing today?"

I had to lean down and speak right into her ear for her to hear me. Her voice was becoming more slurred. Sometimes, when lily was having a bout of pain and depression, she didn't speak, didn't move. It became too much of an effort for her. She just lay still and stared at the ceiling.

"I'm fine Mr. Smith"
"Can I get you anything?"
"No".

I studied her tenderly. Mr heart ached. Why should she go through so much suffering?

"Am I gonna die Mr. Smith"?

Her question shocked me...shook my very being. I couldn't break down right in front of her.

"Yes lily" The words were choked
"How does it feel to be dead"?

I stroked her hair tenderly. I didn't know what to say. What would I say to a little girl who has known nothing but pain since she was born?

"Thank you for staying with me" she said
"Hey, don't thank me kiddo, I love staying with you"

She slowly turned her head and managed a smile, then she closed her eyes, and the heart rate monitor began to give the emergency beep.
I was dazed...I stood aside as the nurses and the doctor on duty raced to the bed with a defibrillator.

"She's gone into cardiac arrest"!
"Charge it"!
"Okay, clear"!

They shot charges through her heart. I watched as they did it three times, tears flowing. The third time, she revived. They stabilized her, and I just went to her thin body and hugged her.

"I love you lily"

I remembered doing this. Four years ago. I hugged the body of my son as he lay in the hospital in coma.
His mother had died instantly some hours before, in a terrible road accident.

Two days later, he died...
I am in a public place, crying! What are you trying to do to me? Following!

1 Like

Re: The Real One by texanomaly(f): 12:47am On Nov 02, 2013
Just got to here. I love this. Keep it coming. Can't wait to read more. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Real One by Nobody: 12:58am On Nov 02, 2013
Erm Josh...
I would love to know your central setting.
Re: The Real One by Joshthefirst(m): 8:52am On Nov 02, 2013
Nkpume Iko: Erm Josh...
I would love to know your central setting.

Central setting?

You mean like the situation of the story?
I'll try to bring about a central setting, but seriously, I've been making up the locations.
Re: The Real One by ARareGem(f): 12:22pm On Nov 02, 2013
Still hooked.
Re: The Real One by texanomaly(f): 11:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
*Walks into thread...my footsteps echo in the empty room*

"Helloooooo...helloooooo...loooooo...oooooo"

Hmmm

*shakes head...walks out again*
Re: The Real One by texanomaly(f): 11:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
*pokes head back in and whispers*

"Josh, you there?"
Re: The Real One by Joshthefirst(m): 11:03pm On Nov 25, 2013
texanomaly: *Walks into thread...my footsteps echo in the empty room*

"Helloooooo...helloooooo...loooooo...oooooo"

Hmmm

*shakes head...walks out again*

grin
Good evening ma'am.

I will update maybe in 2 weeks or so.
Re: The Real One by texanomaly(f): 11:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
smiley

1 Like

Re: The Real One by Joshthefirst(m): 4:05pm On Jan 02, 2015
Joshthefirst: ...it might never be finished.

I had to read it again to remember...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Story: The Devil Who Loved Me [episode 1] / What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? / "Cease Fire" By Buchi Free Download Assistance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.