Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,158 members, 7,953,597 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:10 PM

How Jonathan Blocked Alamieyeseigha’s Extradition To The UK - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Jonathan Blocked Alamieyeseigha’s Extradition To The UK (635 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Look At Alamieyeseigha's Service Of Song (Pictured) / Update On Diepreye Alamieyeseigha’s Death / Obasanjo Plotting My Extradition To Settle Scores – Kashamu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Jonathan Blocked Alamieyeseigha’s Extradition To The UK by katunj: 9:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
UK Requests Diepreye Alamieyeseigha’s extradition
Why Jonathan is ignoring the request   
Mohammed Abacha in new money laundering scandal
Nigeria Intel investigation has learned that the British government has requested the extradition of convicted former Bayelsa state governor, Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha to stand trial in Britain, a move that is being blocked by President Goodluck Jonathan.

According to sources close to the case, the extradition request was made earlier this year through the office of the Attorney – General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, who, incidentally has been trailed by numerous corruption allegations himself.

Nigeria Intel investigations also found that Mr. Adoke, on the instructions of President Jonathan is trying to keep keep the matter under wraps and has reportedly replied to the British authorities that Alamieyeseigha had no case to answer, having been granted a presidential pardon in March this year.

Detained in Britain

It will be recalled that Diepreye Alamieyeseigha had travelled to Europe for a ‘tummy tuck’ cosmetic surgery, but was detained in London on charges of money laundering in September 2005. At the time of his arrest, Metropolitan police found about £1m in cash in his London home. Following more investigations, they found a total of £1.8m ($3.2m) in cash and bank accounts.

In addition to cash, Alamieyeseigha was found to own several houses and other real estate in London worth tens of millions of pounds, but jumped bail in December 2005 allegedly disguising himself as a woman, a claim Alamieyeseigha denies.

Conviction and Jail

Shortly after his return to Nigeria, Alamieyeseigha was impeached by the Bayelsa state House of Assembly, thus losing his immunity. He was promptly arrested and flown to Abuja in handcuffs, where he was charged by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). On July 26, 2007, Alamieyeseigha pleaded guilty before a Nigerian court to six charges and was sentenced to two years in prison on each charge; however, because the sentences were set to run concurrently and the time was counted from the point of his arrest nearly two years before the sentences, his actual sentence was relatively short.

Many of his assets (totaling about N126 billion) were ordered to be forfeited to the Bayelsa state government. On July 27, just hours after being taken to prison, he was released due to time already served.

Case in the US

In June last year, the United States Department of Justice announced that it had executed an asset forfeiture order on $401,931 in a Massachusetts brokerage fund, traceable to Alamieyeseigha. US prosecutors filed court papers in April 2011 targeting the Massachusetts brokerage fund and a $600,000 Maryland home, which they alleged were the proceeds of corruption.

A motion for default judgement and civil forfeiture was granted by a Massachusetts federal district judge in early June 2012. The forfeiture order was the first to be made under the Kleptocracy Asset Recovery Initiative (KARI).

Controversial Pardon

On 12 March 2013, Alamieyeseigha, who has retained a measure of popularity in the Niger Delta, particularly his home state of Bayelsa, was granted a presidential pardon by President Goodluck Jonathan, a move that drew sharp criticism from the public. Analysts believe that the move is not unconnected to Jonathan’s reelection bid next year, as well as Alamieyeseigha’s desire to run for senate

Source http://www.nigeriaintel.com/2013/10/09/nigeria-intel-exclusive-how-jonathan-blocked-alamieyeseighas-extradition-to-the-uk/
Re: How Jonathan Blocked Alamieyeseigha’s Extradition To The UK by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:01pm On Oct 09, 2013
grin

Jona: alams, u hear say UK wants us to send u over?

Alams: i hear o ur excellency. Helep me o.

Jona: u knw d drill now angry

Alams: erm..u mean like i obtained the pardon?

Jona: are u still asking? i get tony Blair's number o! undecided

Almas: no o. E no reach that level. i get one another mansion for russia. i go ask my lawyer to sell and transfer the cash..

Jona: make i no trouble u. Make u just do transfer of ownership!

Alams: no wahala Sir.

Jona: **picks phone, call adoke** hello, criminal, tell them say he no get case. We don pardon am.

Adoke: yes Sir.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

grin UK, relax now! If he like make he stay till 2019. The next prsident go extradite both of them come meet u for trial. Just relax.

1 Like

Re: How Jonathan Blocked Alamieyeseigha’s Extradition To The UK by atlwireles: 10:07pm On Oct 09, 2013
What is Nigeriaintel.com grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Jonathan Blocked Alamieyeseigha’s Extradition To The UK by gboso1ne(m): 10:52pm On Oct 09, 2013
Make dm do catch am jawe

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Demand The Audio Recording 4rm D Black Box Of Crashed Associated Air. / From My Facebook Wall: Plane Carrying ASUU Members Cheats Death / The Truth About Government’s Position On ASUU Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.