Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,532 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

The Road To Southern Ijaw - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Road To Southern Ijaw (815 Views)

Dickson Storms INEC Collation Centre, Southern Ijaw - The Nation / In A Deft Move, Buhari Gives Key Portfolios To Southern Nigeria / Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Road To Southern Ijaw by vikiviko(m): 8:05pm On Jul 01, 2008
Southern Ijaw is about the largest local govt area in Bayelsa state.

I made a visit there last Thursday.
From Lagos where i boarded an Agofure bus, it departed at 11am, we had stop overs at Ore, Warri, to eat.

At 8.30pm, i alighted at Mbiama junction , boarded a cab at the rate of 150 Naira to Yenagoa main town.
I lodged in an hotel with 2500 a night, the town was full of darkness.Okada i discovered doesn't operate after 7pm.

Friday Morning, i went to jetty at harbor Road to board a speed boat to a community in Southern ijaw.
The fare being charged is 1500, and i was asked if i could swim otherwise i should rent a live jacket.
Unknown to the man that i am "Fish" on water.
When the boat moved, not up to 20 Minutes, i saw a house boat full of Soldiers[Joint Military Task Force] asking the boat to stop. We were all searched, unfortunately for me i was a carrying a press id card.They were mad at me, asked me why i was going there and so many other questions.
I pleaded and was allowed to go.
Those soldiers i saw there are bent on killing any enemy, they are real soldiers, they look young, brave and energetic.

On the river at least i saw 3 military boats parading and checking incoming boats.

The waterways are no longer safe to communities in Souther ijaw.

Iwas reliably told that a factional militant leader was assasinated by another group on saturday.

My journey to Southern Ijaw was really eventful, but basically the areas lack government presence, there are no lights, drinkable water, hospitals etc
The area needs development.

I met a young man who identified himself as a militant to me, he pleaded with me to help get connection to travel abroad. He also told me how much he's being as a soldier working for a militant group.He said their group alone receives about 30 Million Naira .He told me the sophistication of their arms.

I am aware the Government is constructing a bridge to connect some of the riverine communities
I plead for quick and urgent attention in providing roads and a connecting bridge.
It took 1hour 30 minutes from Yenagoa to Southern Ijaw, whereas with a bridge would just be 15-20 Minutes.

The waterways are so dangerous considering the presence of JTF.

(1) (Reply)

Igbos Of Delta State And Crises Of Identity. (part One.) / Fg Should Sit Up Or Move Out Of Way / Worst Presidents In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.