Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People (6657 Views)

Restructuring: Southern Nigerians To Boycott 2019 Polls / In A Deft Move, Buhari Gives Key Portfolios To Southern Nigeria / Inaccurate View Of The North By Southern Nigerians - Mark Amaza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 9:53am On Sep 07, 2015
For those who wonder why they call Southern Nigerian slaves.
Let me explain you see Nigeria is not a homogenous nation it’s a union of various countries or kingdom notably the Yoruba Kingdom, Hausa Kingdom and Igbo kingdom. Now ideally each Kingdom anywhere in the world manages its resources itself and enjoys it alone the English Kingdom doesn’t share its resources with the Scottish Kingdom in Europe Germany doesn’t share its resources with Italy and even though the same country Dubai doesn’t share its resources with other emirates.
And should different kingdoms agree to come together each kingdom must control its own resources, The only way resources are shared is if a kingdom has been subjugated by another for example the old imperial Oyo empire collected tributes from the Egbas, Nupe Kingdom and even the Dahomey Kingdom, The old British empire collected tributes from its colonies inform of tax and resources.
As at independence Nigeria was a union of different independent kingdoms, each were able to manage its own resources, tax in Yoruba territory were paid to Ibadan not Abuja or Lagos, Cocoa the oil of then was 100% enjoyed by the Yorubas, the North enjoyed its own resources east same thing.
But with the intervention of the military in power the Fulani who destroyed the Hausa Kingdom and were even coming for the Yorubas if not for the Great Aalafin of Oyo, Ijebu and Ekiti warriors who defended Yoruba territory, in fact today Ilorin a 100% Yoruba town is listed as an emirate and the British allocated 30 more towns to help create Kwara and Kogi state.
Using the Military, the same Fulani enforced a unitary system which means every regions resources goes to the centre aka Abuja now here is the trick the majority of that money goes to north particularly north west and its shared based on population which is wrong on all scales it’s a form of subjugation.
So from that point of view the Yoruba Kingdom and Igbo Kingdom which has Niger Delta has part of its territory has been subjugated. The Igbos will fight against this system even though they lost mainly due to the fact that the Yorubas didn’t assist militarily and were interested in ruling the entity called Nigeria and the Igbos didn’t carry the Yorubas along in terms of logistics and military empowerment when planning an independence war.
However as the Igbo territory lost the war, its territory was subjugated (today the Fulani’s who fought own virtually all the oil blocs) symbolic to the way Oyo kingdom owned all resources in Dahomey kingdom after Oyo king defeated Dahomey Kingdom) and so was the Yoruba resources even though no war was fought to claim it, the unitary system applied to all.
Today the Yoruba Kingdom is the wealthiest in West Africa it accounts for 55% of the Nigeria’s economic activities and host the richest, fastest growing and biggest city in West Africa.
However their tributes (tax on industries, resources, ports, and customs) are forcefully taken by the same Fulani from the North that is modern day slavery.
The Igbos have always opposed the system, the Niger delta fighting daily for resource control however the Yorubas have not complained about being ripped off rather we have been looking for the most diplomatic way to get it which isn’t working out the only thing the Fulani immigrants understand is Force ask the Cameroonians how they chased Fulanis away.
To be fair I am Yoruba most Yorubas don’t actually know the Billions being generated from their territory belongs to them and not Abuja so they actually don’t know they are under modern day subjugation. Also our President Olusegun Obasanjo didn’t do much about the system which I don’t understand.
Yoruba also like the idea of Nigeria being in a larger family it gives unrestricted access to each ethnic groups purchasing power and creates wealth unfound anywhere in Africa. But my fellow Yorubas we cannot be a union where we simply don’t enjoy the fruits of our labour (tax) and our God given resources (Geographical advantage which gives us the busiest seaports, airports and lucrative borders)
London stock exchange, Dover ports, London Heathrow airport, University of Oxford, Cambridge and London imperial university all pay taxes to the English Kingdom not United Kingdom and even if they should do in a later future, the majority of tax won’t go to Scotland or Wales unless they are subjugated by them.
Dubai enjoys its oil 100% income generated from tourism when you pay for a visa to go to Dubai enjoys the money without sharing with Abudhabi .So should we fight for true regionalism Lagos stock exchange, Apapa, Tin can and PTML Ports, Oyo area command, MMA will all pay taxes to Ibadan you can imagine how rich the Yoruba Kingdom will be. Until we fight for our resources we will never progress forward and will remain modern day subjugated territories that’s the bitter truth Yoruba Ronu.
For those who will insult me and say I am still archaic and stuck in the past ask yourself
1) If we have truly moved forward as a nation and people why don’t we have an Oba in Ilorin, why is Kwara and Kogi west despite being geographically western Nigeria not part of the South west
2) Why do the Igbo have only 5 states despite being huge in number 18% of Nigeria’s population
3) Why is that Lagos has 20 local governments and Kano has 44 local governments despite Lagos having three times population
4) Why is that the term Hausa-Fulani Is accepted but no term like Yoruba/Edo/Ishekiri or Igbo/Ijaw
5) Why can’t your region set its educational standards
6) Why can’t your region builds ports at its will
7) Why must we wait for a central Figure to build infrastructure within our territory
If you go through this questions and you can defend them being a southerner ask yourself are you a slave?

It’s high time for Modern Yoruba youths to wake up from slumber we are in 2015 and cannot afford to be using our God given resources, human talent to finance a dead unproductive empire in a desert that brings nothing to the table.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by forgiveness: 10:04am On Sep 07, 2015
hmm!
Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 07, 2015
ok.
Need anything from Jumia? Contact me now!
Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by Akshow: 10:17am On Sep 07, 2015
"To be fair I am Yoruba most Yorubas don’t actually know the
Billions being generated from their territory belongs to them and
not Abuja so they actually don’t know they are under modern day
subjugation."

This part of your write up just make me laugh. How is the funds generation in lagos transferred to Abuja.? Omo iran kiran buruku. You need a lesson on history. From the first to the third Republic, Yorubas have always act as opposition to the north. Can't say same about the other southern Nigeria .

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by goodmorning40: 10:18am On Sep 07, 2015
Pls can u tell me what op said
Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by ERODEDEAST(f): 10:19am On Sep 07, 2015
I don tok taya weda them go here your own

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 10:40am On Sep 07, 2015
Akshow:
"To be fair I am Yoruba most Yorubas don’t actually know the
Billions being generated from their territory belongs to them and
not Abuja so they actually don’t know they are under modern day
subjugation."

This part of your write up just make me laugh. How is the funds generation in lagos transferred to Abuja.? Omo iran kiran buruku. You need a lesson on history. From the first to the third Republic, Yorubas have always act as opposition to the north. Can't say same about the other southern Nigeria .

Did you read my part where I said pre 1977 and all over the world any company headquartered in your territory must pay tax to you
Lagos stock exchange, Multinationals Our big banks like FBN,GTB and even other banks like Diamond Fidelity so far they are headquarterd in your region that is the norm

In UK Scotland has oil which is like Niger delta they dont share their resources with England but England is still wealthier than them because they house all the industries and that's why England can build 400 underground train stations and scotland cant
Ghana same thing the region with Gold keeps 65% of its resources while Accra makes monry of industries cited infact cities hosting Tourist cite keep their resources

The reason why Awolowo was able to perform was not because he collected revenue from Lagos (FCT) but he manages Yorubas peoples wealth
Also as at 1978 Customs paid fees to Yoruba states which does not happen again.

Also why have we not had a Yoruba man head customs.
Why do we have to wait for Abuja to build Lagos Ibadan express way
Why is Kwara and Kogi not part of west despite being geopgraphically west

4 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 10:42am On Sep 07, 2015
[quote author=johnserek post=37757399]

Did you read my part where I said pre 1977 and all over the world any company headquartered in your territory must pay tax to you
Lagos stock exchange, Multinationals Our big banks like FBN,GTB and even other banks like Diamond Fidelity so far they are headquarterd in your region that is the norm

In UK Scotland has oil which is like Niger delta they dont share their resources with England but England is still wealthier than them because they house all the industries and that's why England can build 400 underground train stations and scotland cant
Ghana same thing the region with Gold keeps 65% of its resources while Accra makes monry of industries cited infact cities hosting Tourist cite keep their resources

The reason why Awolowo was able to perform was not because he collected revenue from Lagos (FCT) but he manages Yorubas peoples wealth

Kano does not allow alcohol to be sold but It shares out of VAT generated from alcohol sales
Yoruba land accounts for non oil wealth of NIGERIA and it should go to ibadan not abuja
same way Niger delta oil should go to SS or SE if they decide to merge
We have no reason to share our oils in Ondo and Lagos only not to eat majority of it

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by DaBullIT(m): 12:09pm On Sep 07, 2015
Whistle

Whistle
Whistle

Passing by
Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by Ugomba(m): 1:04pm On Sep 07, 2015
johnserek:

kai, guy you sabi wetin de on ground, thats why Igbo man is hated for demanding a Nigeria of Equality, Justice and Fairness

17 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by ArodewilliamsT: 1:17pm On Sep 07, 2015
make i siddon they look wetin yoruba people to tell their brother.

cc: cooolitempa, pentiumpro, kestolove95, dashmeyansh, passingshot
demdem ----> mo.ron, agarawu, dabullit

I also welcome my siddonlook brothers, easternlion, huangcheng, pazienza, buddahmonk.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 07, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:
make i siddon they look wetin yoruba people to tell their brother.

cc: cooolitempa, pentiumpro, kestolove95, dashmeyansh, passingshot
demdem ----> mo.ron, agarawu, dabullit

I also welcome my siddonlook brothers, easternlion, huangcheng, pazienza, buddahmonk.

Abeg shift for me make i sit down with you. grin

4 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by QuotaSystem: 1:28pm On Sep 07, 2015
johnserek:

Using the Military, the same Fulani enforced a unitary system which means every regions resources goes to the centre aka Abuja now here is the trick the majority of that money goes to north particularly north west and its shared based on population which is wrong on all scales it’s a form of subjugation.

This is the weak foundation of LIES that the OP built on.

AGUIYI IRONSI, an Igbo man, passed the controversial Unification Decree No. 34 aimed to unify Nigeria into a unitary state. His plan was to dominate the other ethnic nationalities, but was outsmarted by the Hausa Fulani.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 07, 2015
QuotaSystem:

The Unitary system was established and enforced by AGUIYI IRONSI an Igbo man who wanted to dominate the other etnic nationalities, but was outsmarted by the Hausa Fulani.

Oga QuotaSystem please leave the Igbos out of Yoruba/Hausa-Fulani discuss.

Thank you

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by QuotaSystem: 1:34pm On Sep 07, 2015
huangcheng:

Oga QuotaSystem please leave the Igbos out of Yoruba/Hausa-Fulani discuss.

Thank you

IRONSI was beaten at his own game.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by ayokellany: 1:34pm On Sep 07, 2015
All I see is the lamentation of a Biafran. The YorubaS do not mind sharing the VAT from Lagos with a Kano that do not allow the sale of alcohol.

The Yorubas do not have to lead the lamentation of federalism when it was a Biafra Aguiyi Ironsi that truncated confedralism to install the rule of the minority Igbo on The majority Hausa n Yoruba.

What year would Biafrans like you stop lamenting like you are God who deposited crude oil in the NigerDelta ? What is happening to the 13% derivation ? Why is Lagos not fighting for VAT control or not entitled to 13% from the revenue accruing from it's port or the VAT it generates ?

Why must you die lamenting ? If 13% derivation is not enough why not push for the increase at the federal assemblies or do you have only retard like yourselves as reps ?

What year would you learn to build bridges to achieve your aim in Nigeria instead of lamentation n war ?

Finally why are you so forsaken that you can't make use of your brain but cry victim when you are clearly the aggressor ? Who truncated federalism in Nigeria ? A Biafran

Who orchestrated the first coup de etat in Nigeria ? A Biafran.

Simply because the majority are wiser and would not allow you to orchestrate a coup or destroy our newly found democracy / federalism you have been wailing for the past 100 days.

For Godsake what is the problem with you people ? Is it that your brain is damaged or what ? There's no perfect system anywhere in the world and you Biafra should learn to perfect the federalism we are enjoying or suffering as you deem fit n not wail simply because a Nigerian is ruling Nigeria.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 1:37pm On Sep 07, 2015
Ugomba:
kai, guy you sabi wetin de on ground, thats why Igbo man is hated for demanding a Nigeria of Equality, Justice and Fairness

My YORUBA PEOPLE ONLY THINK ONLY NIGER DELTA IS BEING RIPPED OF CAUSE OF OIL BUT THIS ARE FACT FILES 80% OF FOREIGN EXCHANGE COMES FROM NIGER DELTA

80% OF GDP EARNINGS COME FROM YORUBA LAND
HUMAN CAPITAL OF IGBOS ARE USED IN OTHER REGIONS BUT BULK OF THEIR TAX STILL GOES TO NORTH

WE ARE ALL IN THIS SCAM TOGETHER
WAKE UP
OMO ODUA

9 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2015
QuotaSystem:

AGUIYI IRONSI, an Igbo man, passed the controversial Unification Decree No. 34 aimed to unify Nigeria into a unitary state. His plan was to dominate the other ethnic nationalities, but was outsmarted by the Hausa Fulani.

If you observe I wrote ENFORCED not introduced it as at when Aguinyi introduced it was
- recommended to him by the northern oligarchs
- it didnt lead to resource control and taxation being taken away to a central spot

4 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by ayokellany: 1:41pm On Sep 07, 2015
Ugomba:

Is that principle of equity justice n fairness what the Igbo man had in mind when he initiated the first coup in Nigeria or was that What the Igbo man had in mind when he truncated confederalism to impose "Unitary system" the rule of the minority Igbos on the majority Hausa/Fulani m Yorubas ?

5 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by QuotaSystem: 1:46pm On Sep 07, 2015
johnserek:

If you observe I wrote ENFORCED not introduced it as at when Aguinyi introduced it was
- recommended to him by the northern oligarchs
- it didnt lead to resource control and taxation being taken away to a central spot

That is a blatant lie.

Excerpts from 'The 1966 Coups, Civil War, and Gowon's Government'

General Ironsi, an Igbo, emerged as the head of state. In his policies and actions, Ironsi did little to allay the fears of Igbo domination. He failed to place the coup plotters on trial as northern leaders demanded, and he appointed Igbos to sensitive governmental positions. Against all advice, Ironsi promulgated Decree Number 34 of 1966, which abrogated the federal system of government and substituted a unitary system; he argued that the military could only govern in this way. Given the already charged atmosphere, this action reinforced northern fears. As the north was less developed than the south, a unitary system could easily lead to southerners "taking over control of everything," as a northern spokesperson put it. It was at the height of northern opposition to unitarism that the countercoup of July 1966 took place. Most top-ranking Igbo officers, including Ironsi, lost their lives; the "status quo" of northern dominance was restored.

http://countrystudies.us/nigeria/70.htm

Ironsi was simply beaten at his own game. QED. He passed Decree 34 against all advice, and the abrogation of the federal system in favour of Unitary is evidence that he enforced the decree.

6 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2015
ayokellany:
All I see is the lamentation of a Biafran. The YorubaS do not mind sharing the VAT from Lagos with a Kano that do not allow the sale of alcohol.

The Yorubas do not have to lead the lamentation of federalism when it was a Biafra Aguiyi Ironsi that truncated confedralism to install the rule of the minority Igbo on The majority Hausa n Yoruba.

What year would Biafrans like you stop lamenting like you are God who deposited crude oil in the NigerDelta ? What is happening to the 13% derivation ? Why is Lagos not fighting for VAT control or not entitled to 13% from the revenue accruing from it's port or the VAT it generates ?

Why must you die lamenting ? If 13% derivation is not enough why not push for the increase at the federal assemblies or do you have only retard like yourselves as reps ?

What year would you learn to build bridges to achieve your aim in Nigeria instead of lamentation n war ?

Finally why are you so forsaken that you can't make use of your brain but cry victim when you are clearly the aggressor ? Who truncated federalism in Nigeria ? A Biafran

Who orchestrated the first coup de etat in Nigeria ? A Biafran.

Simply because the majority are wiser and would not allow you to orchestrate a coup or destroy our newly found democracy / federalism you have been wailing for the past 100 days.

For Godsake what is the problem with you people ? Is it that your brain is damaged or what ? There's no perfect system anywhere in the world and you Biafra should learn to perfect the federalism we are enjoying or suffering as you deem fit n not wail simply because a Nigerian is ruling Nigeria.

omo Odua ni mi Mi o se omo igbo

your first response is very sad and its why they insult Yorubas by calling them slaves
A tribe openly insults us , brings nothing to the table, claim ownership of kwara, kogi and all you can say is that you dont mind sharing your common wealth with the same tribe?
Before Awolowo died what he said was that for Yorubas to move forward they must get access to their wealth
LAST MONTH ALON CUSTOMS IN OYO GENERATED 15BN AND GUESS WHAT THEY CANT PAY SALARIES BUT YOUR MUMU BRAIN IS SAYING THE NORTH SHOULD TAKE THE MONEY
ARE YOU A SLAVE? OR ARE YOU A MALLAM HIDING UNDER A YORUBA NAME

LAGOS ARE NOT FIGHTING FOR TAX INCREASE BECAUSE MOST DONT KNOW ANY INDUSTRY IN THEIR OUGHT TO BE PAYING TAX TO THEMSELVES

SECONLY IF YOUT HAPPY SHARING YOUR WEALTH WITH A DESERT TRIBE THEN LET DOES WHO DONT WANT TO SHARE KINDLY LEAVE
LOOK AT YORUBA LAND TODAY BEFORE WE BUILD MAINROADS ABUJA MUST APPROVE AND RELEASE FUNDS

PORTS GENERATE TRILLIONS BUT LAGOS GETS NOTHING TO MAINTAIN THE ROADS THAT PORT USERS MAKE USE OFF
MY YORUBA BROTHERS AND SISTERS THIS IS NOT A WAILING MATTER
THE NIGERIAN ENTITY IS STRUCTURED IN SUCH A WAY WE SOUTHERNERS ARE SLAVES AND OUR RESOURCES TAX ARE COLLECTED MAJORLY BY A REGION

INFACT I WOULD HAVE KEPT QUIET IF IT WAS SHARED EQUALLY OR NORTH WAS A PRODUCTIVE REGION BUT NO ITS NOT PLEASE WAKE UP
WE NEED TO FIGHT FOR AT LEAST 20% TAX RETENTION OR LEAVE THE UNION
THOSE INDUSTRIES POLUTTE OUR ENVIROMENT
TODAY WE CANT SET OUR EDUCATIONAL STANDARD
IF WE DOMINATE A SECTOR WE ARE CHASED AWAY
PLS WHAT IS THE POINT OF LIVING BASED ON ANOTHER TRIBE TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO
IS THAT NOT COLONIALISM
IS THAT NOT WHAT AWOLOWO AZIKWE FOUGHT AGAINST
FOR US TO ENJOY OUR GOD GIVEN WEALTH

WAKE UP PLS THANKS

9 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 1:53pm On Sep 07, 2015
ayokellany:

Is that principle of equity justice n fairness what the Igbo man had in mind when he initiated the first coup in Nigeria or was that What the Igbo man had in mind when he truncated confederalism to impose "Unitary system" the rule of the minority Igbos on the majority Hausa/Fulani m Yorubas ?

IT HAS HAPPENED SHOULD WE ALSO START BLAMING YORUBAS FOR OBJ WANTING TO GO A 3RD TERM
PLEASE APPEAL TO BOTH IGBOS AND YORUBAS
WE HAVE A COMMON ENEMY CALLED FULANI WHO MILKS OUR RESOURCES

WE CAN CHASE THEM OUT OF ILORIN AND HAUSA LAND AND THEN START INSULTING EACH OTHER
BUT SO FAR WE DONT WORK TOGETHER FOREVER WE WILL REMAIN SLAVES

4 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 07, 2015
huangcheng:

Abeg shift for me make i sit down with you. grin
Occupy till I come cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 1:58pm On Sep 07, 2015
QuotaSystem:

IRONSI was beaten at his own game.

HE WAS BEATEN AT HIS GAME BUT WE THE YORUBAS ARE THE UNCONSCIOUS VICTIMS

7 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by QuotaSystem: 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2015
johnserek:

IT HAS HAPPENED SHOULD WE ALSO START BLAMING YORUBAS FOR OBJ WANTING TO GO A 3RD TERM

WE CAN CHASE THEM OUT OF ILORIN AND HAUSA LAND AND THEN START INSULTING EACH OTHER

You have a common enemy named POVERTY which is why you think a "tribe" is what makes you poor and not your individual lack of productivity grin

Go and tell LASG to ask Dangote, MRS, Rahamanniyya, BUA, BDC's et al. to leave Lagos because they are milking their resources.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2015
QuotaSystem:

That is a blatant lie.

Excerpts from 'The 1966 Coups, Civil War, and Gowon's Government'

General Ironsi, an Igbo, emerged as the head of state. In his policies and actions, Ironsi did little to allay the fears of Igbo domination. He failed to place the coup plotters on trial as northern leaders demanded, and he appointed Igbos to sensitive governmental positions. Against all advice, Ironsi promulgated Decree Number 34 of 1966, which abrogated the federal system of government and substituted a unitary system; he argued that the military could only govern in this way. Given the already charged atmosphere, this action reinforced northern fears. As the north was less developed than the south, a unitary system could easily lead to southerners "taking over control of everything," as a northern spokesperson put it. It was at the height of northern opposition to unitarism that the countercoup of July 1966 took place. Most top-ranking Igbo officers, including Ironsi, lost their lives; the "status quo" of northern dominance was restored.

http://countrystudies.us/nigeria/70.htm

Ironsi was simply beaten at his own game. QED. He passed Decree 34 against all advice, and the abrogation of the federal system in favour of Unitary is evidence that he enforced the decree.

Yakubu gowon introduced Resource control not Ironsis unitary system
Ironsi was from south south you to ask yourself will a region that will have oil thats x10 of cocoa and groundnut pass a law where its own resources becomes for all?

listen I am not a pro ibo somebody but the truth is that we have a common enemy

Colonial Era
Northern control of resources:
The Northern regional government was in control of the natural resources in the region. Motivated by
this right of control, Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Premier of Northern Nigeria, set up Groundnut marketing Board
through which he utilized all the accruing revenue from the export of groundnut to United Kingdom. The
revenue was used in the development of the Northern region. The then regional government built the Ahmadu
Bellow University, the Bank of the North among other things.(Nnoli, 1978:181)
Eastern Control Of Resources:
The palm produce Marketing Board empowered Dr. Michael Okpara’s government in the Eastern
region as it had control of the revenue accruing from the export of palm produce to the United Kingdom. The
funding of African continental Bank and University of Nigeria Nsukka among others therefore was easy. (Nnoli,
1978:185)
Western Control of Resources:
In the Western region, within the colonial era, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, set up cocoa Marketing Board
and utilized the accruing revenue from cocoa export to United Kingdom in setting up the first television network
in the country and in funding a free primary education policy in the Western Region (Nnoli, 1978:183)
Post-Colonial Era:
In the post colonia era, resource control is consolidated in the hands of the Federal Government of
Nigeria. The pre-requisite to this situation is the petroleum Decree of 1969 passed during the regime of General
Gowon, which gave the right to the federal government to monopolize the control of oil and gas. Given this
scenario, the regions (states) from where oil was being exploited had to depend on the Federal Government for
allocation of resources. And, to consolidate the Federal Government gain, General Obasanjo’s regime in 1978
passed the land use Decree which declared the Federal Government the owner of all lands within the
geographical entity called Nigeria

So an igbo man introduced Unitary system
A northerner introduced a system where all resources were FG
And an OMO Odua reenforced it very sad

3 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 2:05pm On Sep 07, 2015
QuotaSystem:

You have a common enemy named POVERTY which is why you think a "tribe" is what makes you poor and not your individual lack of productivity grin

Go and tell LASG to ask Dangote, MRS, Rahamanniyya, BUA, BDC's et al. to leave Lagos because they are milking their resources.

Most likely your one of those lazy parasitic northerner
Dangote cant even store his wealth in Kano cause he knows his people are animals and very crude.

3 Likes

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by huptin(m): 2:06pm On Sep 07, 2015
[quote author=johnserek post=37757471][/quote]

Why should Yoruba wealth go to Ibadan and not Lagos where it is being mostly generated? Why would you replace one imperialism with another one? Regionalism wont work. True federalism is the answer, each state should control its resources. That is my take.

1 Like

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by glassjar1: 2:06pm On Sep 07, 2015
QuotaSystem:

grin grin grin grin grin grin SHACHRIS YOU ARE REALLY GOING THROUGH SELF IMPLEMENTED TERMINAL DISEASE .

ENJOY YOUR ILNESS grin grin grin SICK . ALWAYS AFRAID OF BIAFRA .

ALL YOUR RANTING ARE IN VAIN . cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by QuotaSystem: 2:07pm On Sep 07, 2015
johnserek:

[s]
Most likely your one of those lazy parasitic northerner
Dangote cant even store his wealth in Kano cause he knows his people are animals and very crude[/s].

QuotaSystem:

1 Like

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by johnserek: 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2015
huptin:

Why should Yoruba wealth go to Ibadan and not Lagos where it is being mostly generated? Why would you replace one imperialism with another one? Regionalism wont work. True federalism is the answer, each state should control its resources. That is my take.

Ibadan is the political capital of Yoruba Kingdom how do you want a state like Ekiti, Kwara, Kogi west to survive
Lagos cant be capital as its close to the sea and thats threat should we adopt regionalism at least we know we YORUBAS are labouring for ourselves

50 is to be retained by each region that generates wealth
5% to Ibadan for development of capital city
30% for development of infrastructure
15% as Sovereign wealth funds
happy?

1 Like

Re: Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People by ayokellany: 2:12pm On Sep 07, 2015
johnserek:

Are the Yoruba being ruled by the Fulanis lamenting wailing Or fighting for emancipation ? Are you from Kwara ? If it's your heart desire to die over what indigenous kwarans are not willing to fight for I pray that God grant you a quick, swift speedy death.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Only Igbo Can Deny Themselves Presidency In 2023-osita Okechukwu / Abom Ephraim Victor Honoured By Ambassadors Of The United Nations SDG Network / PDP Governors Have Performed Best In Nigeria- Tukur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.