Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,150 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments (80912 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 2:50am On Oct 11, 2013
The Igbo people have a melodic music style into which they incorporate various percussion instruments; the Udu, which is essentially designed from a clay jug; an Ekwe, which is formed from a hollowed log; and the Ogene, a hand bell designed from forged iron.

Other instruments include Opi – a wind instrument similar to the flute; Igba, and Ichaka. They also have a style of music called Ikorodo, which involves a vocal performance accompanied by several musical instruments.

Another musical form among the Igbos is Highlife, which is a fusion of jazz and traditional music and widely popular in West Africa.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 2:53am On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 3:04am On Oct 11, 2013

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 3:07am On Oct 11, 2013
OJA ~ Flute

The OJA (Flute) is a piece of wood designed with a cavity inside, the top has a wide opening to fit the shape of the human lower lip, a small hole on the bottom and two smaller holes closer to the top on exact opposite side. The artist blows the musical sounds through the wide opening, while placing the thumb and the ring fingers simultaneously on the two smallest holes to control the rhythm. The bottom hole which is left alone at all times controls the musical rhythm out flow. It accompanies dances and songs, or played as solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_GyXbfufU

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 3:18am On Oct 11, 2013
UDU ~ Pottery drum

The UDU (Pottery-drum) is a sphere shape made of clay, with a hollow inside and a small round open mouth. The primary function of Udu is to produce musical bass. The artist accomplishes this by taping the open mouth with a round and flat object. The Udu is also used as a safe, and is the first storage container used by the Igbos to store water, palm oil, or to preserve produce. Due to its fragile nature, other sturdier containers like plastics had replaced it as a storage facility. It continues to serve as the best source for musical bass.

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 3:29am On Oct 11, 2013
UBO ~ Stringed instrument/ Thumb Piano

The ubo-aka is a "thumb piano" of the Igbo people of southeastern Nigeria. This instrument features a wood-burnt hardwood soundboard (with cut-out handholds) mounted on an incised, woodburnt gourd resonator. Instead of the traditional metal cuffs around each key, a metal chain is stretched across the key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEzEfinuKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6sWyQIIaY

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 3:33am On Oct 11, 2013
OGENE ~ Gong

The OGENE (Gong) is the most important metal instrument among the Igbo people. They were made originally in bronze but, in modern time, are mainly made of common metal as a bulging surface in elliptical shaped rim, and tapering like a frustum to its handle. It is hit about its rim by a stick to produce different tunes. The Ogene (gong) accompanies dances, songs, religious and secular ceremonies, and its tunes have been developed to transmit messages by a sort of lyric prose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwJTXz7j98

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 3:39am On Oct 11, 2013
Beautiful thread.

To me, the Oja remains the staple of traditional Igbo music.

The dominant sound of the Igbo flute echoing over various percussion is a very intense and earthy one.

Listen to the first few minutes of this piece to get a sense of what I mean.

[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCBF_7L2zpo[/flash]
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 3:41am On Oct 11, 2013
EKWE ~ Slit-drum

The EKWE (Slit-drum) is a tree trunk, hollowed throughout its length from two rectangular cavities at its ends and a horizontal slit that connects the cavities. The size of the slit-drum depends on its use and significance. Its significance includes use as musical instrument at coronation, cultural events and rituals. The different sounds of the drum summon the citizens at the monarch's palaces, or town squares. The strong rhythm of the slit-drum, gave special signals for inundation, meetings, announcements of fire, theft and other emergencies.

The Ekwe is a two-pitch Igbo log drum. There are two types of hardwood (yellow or red). Played with either a plain straight wood stick or a rubber-tipped short beater similar to a large balafon or Alo (long gong-bell) mallet. Larger Ekwes are usually played with two sticks, while smaller ones are usually played with only one stick.

The Ube wood that is used for carving Yellow Ekwe log drums is also called "white wood," but not because the yellow outer part of the drum is the wood's natural color... instead, the drum's shell is painted with a yellow powder (that prior to being applied to the drum shell is diluted in water).

The Red Ekwe is carved from a naturally-red wood called "Orji" in the Igbo language. This wood is more expensive than the "white" wood used in the Yellow Ekwe both because of its beautiful intense (and very natural) red color and its ability to resist insect (termite/worm) damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSHUIvyIvPA

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 3:53am On Oct 11, 2013
nnenna.1:
Beautiful thread.

To me, the Oja remains the staple of traditional Igbo music.

The dominant sound of the Igbo flute echoing over various percussion is a very intense and earthy one.

Listen to the first few minutes of this piece to get a sense of what I mean.

[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCBF_7L2zpo[/flash]

You are right nwanne. The Oja sound is very deep, very spiritual. Makes you nostalgic for times you never experienced, places you've never been.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 4:04am On Oct 11, 2013
IGBA ~ Cylinder-drum/ Talking drum

The IGBA (Cylinder-drum) is a piece of hollow wood covered at one end with animal hide held down tight with fasteners. The artist carries it over his shoulder with the help of a shoulder strap. The artist produces the sound by beating on the animal hide with his fingers or combination of one set of fingers and a special stick. The cylinder-drum accompanies dances, songs, religious and secular ceremonies, and its tunes have been known to gave special signals for good news as well as bad news.

These drums often accompany many other instruments. Traditionally, the deeper shelled Igba are played with the hand, while the shorter drums are played with a curved stick. In an ensemble these drums often lead, and are used to "talk" by the talking drummers. To tune the drum, the player will use a strong object to whack the pegs around the drum in order to restore its best tone.

Igba woods. Certain trees/timber of this region are noted for unique properties, and drum carvers know which varieties make the best drums. Some varieties (e.g. Orji, used in Ekwe log drums) are unique to the forests of this area; we do not have exactly the same species elsewhere, hence the names of some of these mixed-color drum woods are known only to Igbos who harvest them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58HlOU1zZmE

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 4:25am On Oct 11, 2013
ICHAKA ~ Rattle

The Ichaka is made of gourd or calabash loosely covered with beads. When tapped or shaken it produces a rattling sound to compliment other instruments.

From 3:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwJTXz7j98?t=3m24s

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 4:32am On Oct 11, 2013
OPI ~ Horn

The horn, called Obu, Opi [/i]or [i]Ogba by different ethnic groups in southern Nigeria is made from animal horn or elephant tusk. It has an opening at the edge for producing sound as air is forced through it. The horn heralds the arrival or departure of the Igwe, Oba or a big masquerade.

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 4:46am On Oct 11, 2013
IKORO ~ Communication drum

The Ikoro is a musical instrument created and used by the Igbo of Nigeria. It is a slit drum that is beaten with a stick or sticks and can be used in some parts of Igbo land for communicating, similar to a talking drum. Ikoro in Igbo land is not beaten by everybody. It is so special that any time its sound is heard people will gather at the village square. As soon as it sounds, people around assume that any of the following has happened: murder, land has been defiled, there is outbreak of war, a calamity has befallen the community etc. The inevitable thing that happens any time the Ikoro sound is heard is that people must gather at the village square to hear the latest development. Ikoro also brings a sense of urgency. The only difference between Ikoro and Ekwe is the size. Ekwe is small in size and portable while Ikoro is enormous in size, cannot be carried by one person and is never carried from place to place. Ikoro is kept in a fixed place usually at the village square.

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 4:56am On Oct 11, 2013
OKIKE, ỌDU-MKPALỌ, and ENENKE ~ The Trumpets

Okike, Ọdu-mkpalọ and Enenke are all horns or trumpets produced from bones or horns of wild animals. Each horn is accorded its respect and utility according to the values and norms attached to the animals from which it is produced. These norms and values of the animals are further transferred to the societal social commitments.

Hence, the Igbo people use these musical instruments to actualize their set objectives in social commitments such as title taking (Ichi Ọzọ), marriages, burial ceremonies and emergencies. Despite modernity and Christianity, the impact and importance of these musical instruments are still felt in Igbo society today.

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 5:01am On Oct 11, 2013
OKIKE

Ọdu-okike or okike, as it is usually called, is a long hollowed elephant tusk carried by the Ọzọ titled men in Igbo. It is usually recognized as the highest symbol of social status.

Therefore, an okike is not blown arbitrarily, but only on an occasion that symbolizes wealth and power. It is used during installations into Ọzọ titleships, Ofala and major festivals. Also it is used during the performance of mortuary rites of titled men and women as well as traditional wedding ceremonies of Igbo aristocrats. It can be blown in solo as well as in group performance. The sound of okike denotes festivity and social actualization. The Igba-eze dance most often is accompanied with the blowing of okike when the Igwe of a town is performing the ofala, kings’ festivals in Igbo.

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 5:04am On Oct 11, 2013
ỌDU-MKPA-ALỌ

Ọdu-mkpala-alọ is a short form of okike which must be held by the Igbo Ọzọ titled man. Unlike the okike which is heavy and long, odu-mkpa-alọ is held constantly on any occasion, be it marriage, death or a town gathering. It is associated with the red cap and eagle feathers for the ọzọ man and must be exhibited always for social recognition. Most of the time the holders are not experts in blowing it, but they need to hold it as occasion warrants.

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 5:14am On Oct 11, 2013
ENENKE

Unlike the okike and ọdu mkpalo-alo, enenke is a horn produced from the wild animal called ene - deer. Its function is quite different from the other two.
Other types of horn-trumpets like Ntutu or Ogbo from mkpi-atu, buffalo, or bush goats, and even the horn of rams which are used for committal music may be classified under Enenke.

Hearing it at midnight signifies danger or death. Late evenings may be for the heralding of mortuary rites. In the mornings, it may be for festivals, marriage attendance or a call for emergency meetings at the village square. In burials, great men and heroes go home to the sound of enenke. Also, in bringing home the symbolic corpse of a deceased Nwada (daughter of the community), the ceremony is heralded with the sound of enenke, songs and dances.

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 5:51am On Oct 11, 2013
What is it called embarassed

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 11, 2013
some-girl:
What is it called embarassed

I think those sticks are used to produce the characteristic sound of the Ikpirikpi ogu/Abiriba Ohafia war dance...not sure what its called...

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:44am On Oct 11, 2013
Okpokolo...a smaller type of ekwe but flat.
Ekpili...a bigger tupe of ichaka. Example,"egwu ekpili"
Ogwe...a kind of ekwe but it makes a different sound and its not placed on the ground like ekwe.
Alo...a kind of Ogene but longer like abbout 3ft long. It make an echo kind of sound.

I actually think ekwe is the symble of Igbo music,at least from the Anambra perspective.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by ifyalways(f): 9:16am On Oct 11, 2013
Beautiful thread. I miss the women choir of All saints cathedral , Onitsha. Days when church was church and "kwaya" was "kwaya" cheesy as opposed to what is obtainable these days.

Ichaka and udu are my favorites. I have an ichaka in my car sef. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
Interesting thread.

However, I doubt highlife is Igbo music. That's ghanaian music.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 3:08pm On Oct 11, 2013
gbosaa:

I think those sticks are used to produce the characteristic sound of the Ikpirikpi ogu/Abiriba Ohafia war dance...not sure what its called...

I've seen them used in Imo as well. It's a shame that we don't know the name embarassed

NRI PRIEST: Okpokolo...a smaller type of ekwe but flat.
Ekpili...a bigger tupe of ichaka. Example,"egwu ekpili"
Ogwe...a kind of ekwe but it makes a different sound and its not placed on the ground like ekwe.
Alo...a kind of Ogene but longer like abbout 3ft long. It make an echo kind of sound.

I actually think ekwe is the symble of Igbo music,at least from the Anambra perspective.

The Oja is unmistakeable. But yes, you can't have traditional music without the Ekwe and Ogene.
I saw the Okpokolo, many years ago and the Alo too, It isn't handheld like the Ogene and has one "bell". Do you have pictures?

ifyalways: Beautiful thread. I miss the women choir of All saints cathedral , Onitsha. Days when church was church and "kwaya" was "kwaya" cheesy as opposed to what is obtainable these days.

I loved loved loved village Kwaya music lol. Those people could sing and perform.
Some of the rhythms stuck in my head and I've tried humming to many people hoping some one can match the sounds with the songs.
There's a wedding song that has the words ......"ka mu na gi biri"...... was sung in a Catholic church. Still looking for someone who knows that song.

shymexx: Interesting thread.

However, I doubt highlife is Igbo music. That's ghanaian music.

No one claimed it originated in Igbo land but we now have our own style of highlife music smiley
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2013
some-girl:

No one claimed it originated in Igbo land but we now have our own style of highlife music smiley

I hear that. No beef - just thought you need to give Ghanaians some credit. Anyway, can you post videos of Igbo highlife? I don't really know much about that genre of music except Prince Nico Mbarga's "Sweet Mother" and the "Osendi Owendi" tune. I don't know if Sir Victor Uwaifo is highlife, but my pops used to play his music a lot when I was growing up.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by valena23(f): 4:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
ShymmexLion:

I hear that. No beef - just thought you need to give Ghanaians some credit. Anyway, can you post videos of Igbo highlife? I don't really know much about that genre of music except Prince Nico Mbarga's "Sweet Mother" and the "Osendi Owendi" tune. I don't know if Sir Victor Uwaifo is highlife, but my pops used to play his music a lot when I was growing up.

Victor Uwaifo is Edo/Bini highlife
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
valena_23:

Victor Uwaifo is Edo/Bini highlife

The name "Uwaifo" sounds Igbo, though. Perhaps, he's Igbanke.

But "Guitar Boy" and "Jolomi" are heavy.

Guitar boy, if you see mamiwater never run away. cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by valena23(f): 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
ShymmexLion:

The name "Uwaifo" sounds Igbo, though. Perhaps, he's Igbanke.

But "Guitar Boy" and "Jolomi" are heavy.

Guitar boy, if you see mamiwater never run away. cool

Lool good man you know about these tunes! Nah I don think he's Igbanke I think he's pure Bini, I could be wrong though
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 11, 2013
valena_23:

Lool good man you know about these tunes! Nah I don think he's Igbanke I think he's pure Bini, I could be wrong though

I just checked his wiki page and you're right. He's Benin.

I need to jump on youtube, search for his tunes when I get home, and get jiggy to that this cold friday - Sir Victor Uwaifo is a legend!

Err...you need to post more often with fresh face and sexy eyes. wink
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by valena23(f): 5:32pm On Oct 11, 2013
ShymmexLion:

I just checked his wiki page and you're right. He's Benin.

I need to jump on youtube, search for his tunes when I get home, and get jiggy to that this cold friday - Sir Victor Uwaifo is a legend!

Err...you need to post more often with fresh face and sexy eyes. wink

Lool don't gas me up! Thank you smiley
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 11, 2013
valena_23:

Lool don't gas me up! Thank you smiley

Err...you sound like you live in the UK. "Tunes" and now "gas" - I know my UK heads when I meet them.

Anyway, not gassing you, though. But I can definitely show you why a guitar boy will never run away from the mamiwater when jolomi is blasting from the speakers. We need to talk. tongue
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
ifyalways: Beautiful thread. I miss the women choir of All saints cathedral , Onitsha. Days when church was church and "kwaya" was "kwaya" cheesy as opposed to what is obtainable these days.

Lol. grin Don't tell me you were part of the kwaya. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Ooni Of Ife’s Sisters Who Ensured The Emergence Of A New Queen / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Aminu Sanusi Lamido Becomes A Police Officer (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.